Anyone else think raw ice cream is healthy? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 02-22-2007, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bumping to request more recipes, please.

ETA: I found this recipe on: http://www.theheartofnewengland.com/food-0404.html
It doesn't require any preheating, which could be a great thing to preserve all those good enzymes and flora.

Quote:
Vanilla Ice Cream

(I have a small Cuisinart electric ice cream maker).

1 c. whole “raw” milk, well chilled
¾ c. sugar
2 c. heavy cream (I use “raw” cream -- another ‘white gold’)
2 t. vanilla

Whisk all ingredients until sugar is dissolved. Pour into ice
cream maker and mix until thickened, about 25-30 minutes.

The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials. ~ Chinese proverb
#32 of 54 Old 02-22-2007, 04:47 PM

Recipe for vanilla ice cream:

2 cups cream
1 cup whole milk

(you can use all cream if you have it, or adjust the amounts to what you like)

1/2 cup sugar or maple syrup
1-2 tsp. vanilla

Mix thoroughly, and freeze in your ice cream freezer.

You can add chopped blueberries, strawberries, peaches, etc. for variety. Break chocolate sandwich cookies (we like the newman o's) for cookies and cream.

Very easy and delicious.
#33 of 54 Old 02-22-2007, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero View Post
People laugh at me when I tell them I eat ice cream on my baked oatmeal. I don't think of my ice cream as junk food. It's raw cream, honey, eggs and vanilla. What's so bad about that? It's a lot better than what most people eat for breakfast. Maybe I just need to give it a different name so people don't think it's a dessert. How about "freezer egg nog" or "icy milk smoothie"?
Yet if you'd added butter and maple syrup they wouldn't bat an eyelash, and that wouldn't even have the eggs in it for extra protein.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#34 of 54 Old 02-22-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedalbj View Post

i would love to sub my sugar for raw honey, anyone know the ratio for this?
I use 1/2 as much honey as sugar in baking.
#35 of 54 Old 02-23-2007, 11:59 AM

my sister gets the fermented honey from Really Raw, and says it tastes better in ice cream because the fermentation process changes some of the fructose to glucose, so it tastes more like regular sugar and less like that distinctive honey flavor. One of these days I plan to try this myself instead of maple syrup. Then my icecream will be almost 100% raw (except the vanilla extract... I should try the soaking a vanilla bean thing...)
#36 of 54 Old 02-24-2007, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Yet if you'd added butter and maple syrup they wouldn't bat an eyelash, and that wouldn't even have the eggs in it for extra protein.
Yep, I'm goofy for eating ice cream for breakfast while they eat those healthy bowls of cereal with soy milk on top.
Laughin' my way to good health...

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#37 of 54 Old 02-24-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero View Post
Yep, I'm goofy for eating ice cream for breakfast while they eat those healthy bowls of cereal with soy milk on top.
Laughin' my way to good health...
#38 of 54 Old 02-24-2007, 11:44 PM

I just made blueberry ice cream today. It was very good. I made my regular vanilla flavor, then added chopped frozen blueberries in the last few minutes.

Not too much left at this point.
#39 of 54 Old 02-25-2007, 09:53 PM

I have some chocolate ice cream in my ice cream maker right now Hubby and I keep sneaking out spoonfuls

In a small saucepan, I heated up some honey and cocoa powder. I used a whisk and whisked it till there were no lumps. I then opened up my 2 cans of coconut milk and mixed them until they were incorporated. Put in fridge to cool and once cool, put in ice cream maker. I also just added a T of vanilla for fun

It is so freakin' good.
#40 of 54 Old 02-25-2007, 10:42 PM

Now that chocolate coconut milk ice cream sounds DELISH!!!!! I just bought more coconut milk so I can make more ice cream tomorrow. Not sure what I'm making exactly yet, but we finished the first batch already so it's time for more.

The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials. ~ Chinese proverb
#41 of 54 Old 02-25-2007, 11:12 PM
*Di

Can I ask what ice cream maker you have that you like? TIA
#42 of 54 Old 02-25-2007, 11:49 PM

Anyone use a stand mixer with attachment for making ice cream? I have been wanting to start making ice cream with our fabulous new source of raw milk/cream and eggs, and I have the kitchenaid artisan, which has an ice cream maker attachment (I don't have it yet) and was wondering if it is any good?

Anyone use this?

I HATE unitaskers in the kitchen (things that only do 1 thing and otherwise clutter up ones kitchen), so I'd kinda hate to buy an ice cream maker, but would certainly do it if it's the only way I'll get good ice cream!!

Oh, and I think raw milk ice cream with good eggs and honey is seriously a health food!
#43 of 54 Old 02-26-2007, 12:01 AM

I bought my ice cream maker of ebay. I can't remember what it is called though. I wouldn't be really concerned about what kind of ice cream maker you buy, they don't really have to do much, its not very complicated so most are probably really good, yk?

I don't understand the kitchenaid attachment. Are you going to buy a freezable bowl thingee to put the attachment in? I couldn't imagine it working without the freezing part.

The ice cream maker is now becoming our most used appliance. I know what you mean about unitaskers, but once you get into it, and once your kids discover ice cream for breakfast, it gets used all the time
#44 of 54 Old 02-26-2007, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

I use the Kitchenaid ice cream maker and love it!

#45 of 54 Old 02-26-2007, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

The Kitchenaid maker is both an attachment/paddle and freezy bowl. It comes as a set.

#46 of 54 Old 02-26-2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalini-Mama View Post
I bought my ice cream maker of ebay. I can't remember what it is called though. I wouldn't be really concerned about what kind of ice cream maker you buy, they don't really have to do much, its not very complicated so most are probably really good, yk?

I don't understand the kitchenaid attachment. Are you going to buy a freezable bowl thingee to put the attachment in? I couldn't imagine it working without the freezing part.

The ice cream maker is now becoming our most used appliance. I know what you mean about unitaskers, but once you get into it, and once your kids discover ice cream for breakfast, it gets used all the time
The attachment comes with a bowl that you keep in the freezer (at least 15 hours prior to making ice cream, I'd just store it there, though). Of course that becomes a unitasker, but a bit smaller, I'd guess(?)
#47 of 54 Old 03-04-2007, 06:44 PM

I just bought an ice cream maker. I'm dying waiting for the bucket thing to freeze. Anyway, it came with this recipe:

Strawberry Cheescake Ice Cream

*drool*

3 ounces cream cheese
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 cup graham crackers

So how to make this healthier...anyone know the best sub for the condensed milk? Could I just sub more heavy cream? Oh, and do you think I could add in some egg yolks as well?

Thanks.
#48 of 54 Old 03-04-2007, 07:25 PM

Well, condensed milk is milk that has been reduced (boiled down some) and heavily sweetened. All the substitutions on the internet that I've found call for dry milk powder, so probably don't want to go that route. BUT, although it wouldn't be the same as the recipe, I'm voting that you could sub cream for the cond. milk, and add honey to taste. I might just have to try this myself, since I have some homemade cream cheese, etc, already on hand. I don't know about adding egg yolks. I just got my ice cream maker last weekend, and so haven't had a chance to venture too far into the world of ice cream.
Melanie
#49 of 54 Old 03-04-2007, 07:31 PM

I just got this one last weekend: http://tinyurl.com/2cvr7p I chose it because it was stainless steel and very inexpensive. I was skeptical when I saw how small it was. It only makes a little over a quart at a time, but I have decided that I actually like that. It's the perfect amount for my family of 5 to each have 2 scoops. Keeps us from over-eating it, and it gets gone fast so I can try a new recipe. It can make 2 batches (so 2-3 qts) before I have to re-freeze it, so I can even make 2 different flavors in one evening (since my dh and I have quite varied tastes). Oh, and yes, it does turn out wonderful ice cream. It takes about 15-20 minutes for the first batch, and 20-40 minutes for the second batch (depending on how cold your ingredients are to begin with).

I was thinking that I'd eventually like to get the attachment for my kitchenaid, but now I'm thinking maybe not.
Melanie
#50 of 54 Old 03-05-2007, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm not sure anyone else would like this last batch I made because it really isn't very sweet and the texture is...a bit powdery. But, it is definitely on my healthy food list, and my two...eek, three!... year old loves it a couple tablespoons at a time.

1 lb. raw cream (what I get is REALLY thick, and sold in a tub. I think it is aout 2 cups.)
less than 1 cup raw goat milk (I didn't measure)
3 raw egg yolks - organic, pastured
1 small yam (microwaved )
2 medium bananas
2 tbs organic vanilla (still don't really taste it, which may be because of the lack of sweetener to bring out the flavor)

Unusual, I know, but my kid does love it, and I can see no reason not to give him plenty of it.

I would like to know other no/super low sugar recipes, and how the texture comes out in them. A friend keeps telling me my texture will always be off unless I put a bunch of sugar in.

Mom, , to DS(10), , , due November 3, 2014, and 4 's: 4/01, 7/01, 9/01, and 12/13. DP to .

****5****10****15****20***25****30****35****40
#51 of 54 Old 03-05-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoik View Post
It can make 2 batches (so 2-3 qts) before I have to re-freeze it, so I can even make 2 different flavors in one evening (since my dh and I have quite varied tastes). Oh, and yes, it does turn out wonderful ice cream. It takes about 15-20 minutes for the first batch, and 20-40 minutes for the second batch (depending on how cold your ingredients are to begin with).
Melanie, *how* does that work?? I thought the churning was what incorporated air or something. Do you stir it after you put on the top?? From what I read, it makes the ice cream without any agitation...I'm confused...if I just put ice cream ingrdients in the freezer they turn into a popsicle, not ice cream.

S/S and no noise sound amazing...thanks for posting the link and TIA for answering these questions...
#52 of 54 Old 03-05-2007, 01:06 PM

Ok, just read through this thread...

Does anyone have a recipe for that coconut milk ice cream?? Oh man, I would love to try that. My ice cream maker has been getting lonely lately!

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#53 of 54 Old 03-05-2007, 03:27 PM

You know, I was really nervous about the ice cream maker working without the agitation, but it does! Now, what I do is blend everything up real well in the blender, so it goes in with lots of air incorporated. Then, after 10-15 minutes, you open it up and stir it. You stir it every 15 minutes til it's ready. I think it works because you are stirring it to incorporate air, but it's freezing so fast that it doesn't have time for the air to collapse out of it. That's my guess. I just know it does work! And I almost returned it without even trying it because it was small and did churn. *BG* Oh, since it's generally just one stir before it's ready, I either make it while I'm making dinner or while I'm cleaning up the kitchen.
Melanie
#54 of 54 Old 03-07-2007, 11:12 PM

Ooo...I just found a great ice cream recipe that I'm gonna try ASAP (with adaptions). It's from allrecipes.com. I wanted to see if you could add avocados to ice cream and so I did a search and this was the lone result:

Avocado-Coconut Ice Cream:

INGREDIENTS

* 1 1/2 cups milk
* 1 cup coconut cream
* 1/2 cup white sugar
* 2 (1/2 pound) avocados, peeled and pitted
* 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice

DIRECTIONS

1. Puree milk, coconut cream, sugar, avocados, and lemon juice in a blender until smooth. Pour into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for several hours until cold. Freeze in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer's directions, then freeze overnight.
2. Allow ice cream to soften in refrigerator for 10 minutes before serving

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page