Water Kefir and honey - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-05-2007, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found this site that says that honey is ok in water kefir.

The grains I got specifically instructed to not use honey to culture it.

What's up?

I'm using agave and getting some raw agave. Will this be ok? Is it an enzyme issue?

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#2 of 7 Old 01-05-2007, 03:36 AM

I have heard so many different theories about water grains and honey. Some say that the honey's antibacterial properties will kill off the bacteria portion of the water crystals. Others say that the honey is diluted enough and it won't make a difference. Still others say that you can brew water crystals with honey and get a tasty drink, but the crystals won't replicate themselves anymore.

I've been meaning to experiment with water grains and honey. I am going to have three jars. One with the regular sugar-water that I usually use, and two with honey. I am going to use an equal volume of water crystals in each jar, probably 1/4 cup. I will use equal parts of water. And I will also use equal parts sugar/honey. I make wine and have a hydrometer, an instrument that measures the density of sugar in water. i'll use that to make sure the sugars are at the smae concentration.
The first jar I'll brew as normal with the sugar. The second jar will be honey, and I will brew two cycles with honey, and then two with sugar. The third will be only honey for every brewing cycle.
After four brewing cycles I'll measure the volume of the water crystals to see what has happened with the growth, shape, and size of the crystals.

Of course, the experiment will take me a couple of weeks to put together and do. But I'll post back here with my results if you like.

In the meantime, I have brewed honey with water crystals. IMy crystals grow very rapidly in their rapadura sugar, and I use the extras for fun experimenting, like making rootbeer, ginger ale, and mead.
I made the mead recipe from the book Full Moon Feast, by Jessica Prentice. It turned out very bubbly and tasty! I just assumed the grains were no good afterwards and composted them, but now I wonder...
#3 of 7 Old 01-05-2007, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Awesome! Thanks for doing this. Do you have a technique for an alcohol assay? I'd love to be able to make h20 kefirs with more alcohol, for special occaisions.
#4 of 7 Old 01-05-2007, 02:23 PM

Unfortunatly my hydrometer is more claibrated to wine making, so I don't know if it will be sensitive enough to pick up on the alcohol content in water crystals. One thing you could do is let it ferment a lot longer, more like 7 or more days. That gives the yeastie beasties a chance to convery more of the sugars to alcohol. I'll give that a try, too: ferment the water crystals for a week to 10 days and see if I can estimate the alcohol content.
#5 of 7 Old 01-05-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocativa View Post
Awesome! Thanks for doing this. Do you have a technique for an alcohol assay? I'd love to be able to make h20 kefirs with more alcohol, for special occaisions.
Hmmm. I was just wondering the same thing, as I swear I just got a buzz off my grape kefir. But my tolerance is low after pregnancy.
#6 of 7 Old 10-04-2013, 12:14 AM

I just found this, and I know it was forever ago, but .. any news? Was this experiment ever done? And can we mix honey with kefir?  lol.

Thanks.

jen

#7 of 7 Old 03-16-2014, 06:47 PM

I too was wondering how the experiment with honey went?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page