Mold in my kombucha - Mothering Forums

Mold in my kombucha

Plummeting's Avatar Plummeting (TS)
10:41 PM Liked: 893
#1 of 7
01-06-2007 | Posts: 6,009
I have searched through, but I can't find a thread about mold only on the tea. I just checked my kombucha today and it has mold growing on top of the liquid, but not touching the scoby. Everything I read only talks about it growing on the scoby and says to throw the scoby out and start over with a new one if it gets moldy. I don't want to do this if I don't have to, so do I have to? Can I just spoon the mold out of the tea and leave it or start over with the same scoby?
desertpenguin's Avatar desertpenguin
06:25 PM Liked: 10
#2 of 7
01-07-2007 | Posts: 2,066
are you sure it's mold? sometimes kombucha has dark brownish strands or lumps of probiotics in it...my dad says they look like pigeon poop. lol.

if it really is mold, i would throw it all out and start anew, to be on the safe side.
saratc's Avatar saratc
07:12 PM Liked: 11
#3 of 7
01-07-2007 | Posts: 1,620
Well if it is indeed mold, you should chuck the whole thing, but I would give it a few days to make sure. At the early stages when the new scoby is forming at the top, it looks very much like mold.
staceyshoe's Avatar staceyshoe
08:21 PM Liked: 0
#4 of 7
01-07-2007 | Posts: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratc View Post
Well if it is indeed mold, you should chuck the whole thing, but I would give it a few days to make sure. At the early stages when the new scoby is forming at the top, it looks very much like mold.
My thoughts exactly!
Plummeting's Avatar Plummeting (TS)
06:29 AM Liked: 893
#5 of 7
01-08-2007 | Posts: 6,009
No, it's definitely mold, without a doubt. When I went to get it out, there was a new baby growing there - it was just so new that it didn't look like a baby yet, because it was transparent. I pulled the new scoby out with all the mold and I'm starting over with new tea. I added vinegar to the new tea (per some instructions I found online) since there's absolutely no mold at all on the mama scoby. Supposedly, the vinegar will make the new tea acidic enought to kill any mold, since I couldn't use the old tea since it might have mold spores in it. There could be some on my scoby, but I'm going to try it and see. If it grows mold again, then I'll chuck the scoby.
estuary's Avatar estuary
04:43 PM Liked: 0
#6 of 7
01-08-2007 | Posts: 115
In this thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=587727

tinuviel_k gives a link to an interesting kombucha site that has info on mold...

I had a mold experience and decided to purge completely and start over.

good luck!
xenabyte's Avatar xenabyte
06:22 PM Liked: 10
#7 of 7
01-08-2007 | Posts: 2,032
Mmm, if you feel it's mold for sure, I'd start over, fresh.

Most molds can be innocuous, but some are really nasty and cause you no end of bad reactions. I'd make sure no plants are near your brewing area and was down the counter tops near the brewing area with a mild bleach solution. You do NOT want mold in your Kombucha....

Are you using organic tea/sugar? You can use some bottled kombucha as a starter, rather than vinegar, if you want to be sure you are not growing vinegar, rather than Kombucha. NEVER use unpasturized vinegar as pH adjuster, it will contaminate your kombucha and you will produce a vinegar plant, not a SCOBY of Kombucha.

Can't think of anything else atm But wanted to back the notion of mold being very bad and it's better to start over totally fresh.

Heather
Reply Subscribe Traditional Foods