Coconut oil brands - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 01-09-2007, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've used Tropical Traditions and like them fine. I used the unrefined CO and also bought some of the coconut cream concentrate which was like candy

I ran out of my TT today and went to the store to get some CO to tide me over. I bought this brand

http://www.eatraw.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ER033

This stuff is SO GOOD! I liked tropical traditions which was much better than the Spectrum I tried (very soapy to me!). But this stuff is better than TT! It smells sweetly coconuty like the TT coconut concentrate but it's smooth and white like the TT oil, not grainy and yellowish like the concentrate. It's solidified because it's cold here but was much softer and easier to spoon than the TT.

Has anyone else tried this? What do they mean by "raw"? Isn't all coconut oil raw? Any cons anyone can think of? Other than the price. I was all set to buy some from Mountain Rose Herbs because of the price but this stuff is so delicious I found myself eating it from the spoon after I put some in my tea
#2 of 34 Old 01-09-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC View Post
Has anyone else tried this? What do they mean by "raw"? Isn't all coconut oil raw? Any cons anyone can think of? Other than the price. I was all set to buy some from Mountain Rose Herbs because of the price but this stuff is so delicious I found myself eating it from the spoon after I put some in my tea
Some oils are extracted by heat and get cooked in the process. The high quality unrefined (and expensive!) coconut oils are cold pressed, which means that it is expeller pressed at a temperature below 120, which keeps the product raw.

I've gotten a high quality raw coconut oil before and found the Mountain Rose Herbs one very close in quality, and definitely worth it for the price. The unrefined coconut oil at Mountain Rose Herbs is cold pressed.
#3 of 34 Old 01-09-2007, 11:45 PM

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the MRH unrefined coconut oil - especially the price!!
#4 of 34 Old 01-10-2007, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

I'm glad to hear people like the Mountain Rose Herbs stuff I'll probably try that one next just because of the price if nothing else. I'm nervous though because it looks like you can only buy a large amount and what if I don't like it? So I'm glad to hear people like it.

I'm drinking it in tea and it's so yummy that way
#5 of 34 Old 01-10-2007, 08:34 AM

So, you're drinking CO in tea? It's not oily? Or are you drinking the coconut cream in tea?

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#6 of 34 Old 01-10-2007, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Yup, coconut oil in my decaf green tea I started this only a week or so ago when I read that someone on here drank it melted in a little warm water. The last time I ate coconut oil I was choking it down by the spoonful and eventually stopped because I didn't like it, so I tried the warm water and it was much better. Long story short, one day I put the warm water in a cup with some leftover tea (because I was too lazy to get a clean mug) and was really surprised to find it was delicious! So I'm eating my CO that way now (though this new brand of CO I got *is* good enough to eat plain by the spoonful).

It's oily but it's not thick and gross. It's almost like having milk in the tea. And it tastes really good. You drink most of it in the first few sips because it floats on top even when you stir it well. Give it a try! The worst thing that happens is you don't like it and waste one cup of tea and one tbs of CO
#7 of 34 Old 01-10-2007, 01:27 PM

I'm not in the EFLF group and am not going to buy the book where it seems a lot of detail is given, but I'm curious about the coconut oil (maybe the thought of popcorn has spurred me on) and I'd like to know what state unrefined/expeller pressed coconut oil is in when it arrives (liquid or solid).

I'm just curious about its uses and following this thread and the CO ones... thanks!
#8 of 34 Old 01-10-2007, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't read EFLF either, I just thought I'd give the CO a try

Anyway, what state it's in will depend on the weather in your area. It melts at a very low temperature so if it's warm where you are you'll probably get it in liquid state. I keep mine in a kitchen cabinet. Right now it's solid but in the summer it's liquid. If you want it solid you just put it in the fridge.
#9 of 34 Old 01-11-2007, 03:54 AM

It goes solid at/below 76ºF which is right near "room temp" so mine often is partially melted in the warm kitchen. Once I wanted a thick coating to stay on the sides of my cast iron so I greased it down with CO and stuck it in the fridge
#10 of 34 Old 01-11-2007, 03:25 PM

We like the Nutiva brand.
#11 of 34 Old 01-11-2007, 04:06 PM

TT coconut oil is wet milled and cold pressed. The lauric acid content has been tested by an independent laboratory at 50-57%. I don't care for EVCO taste and take it only for therapeutic benefits so I look for lauric acid content among other things. TT EVCO by the gallon is around $60. I do buy Green Patures butter oil and CLO. I am very pleased with the quality of their products, but had never looked at their EVCO until I noticed the price difference between GP and TT. GP is $40 per gallon. It is organic and cold pressed. I wrote to Dave (the owner of GP) to ask about lauric acid content. He said that testing results were 50% or greater. I'm switching to GP to save money and hope the product compares. I did notice that the product you bought claimed 40% lauric acid content.
#12 of 34 Old 01-11-2007, 06:31 PM

My MRH coconut oil came yesterday and I haven't been able to stop eating it! I think it's so yummy but DH said it tastes like coconut-flavored lard (what's so bad about that?). Although I could eat butter straight, too so I guess I'm not exactly picky about how I get my fats
#13 of 34 Old 01-12-2007, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have Spectrum organic virgin expeller pressed unrefined coconut oil. There was a refined spectrum one and Nutella as other options at the store where I found it; This was the less expensive unrefined option, nutella being pricier. I'm not sure what you mean by soapy taste. I got a small taste straight and it made me want to gag, but it's tasty in the things I've used it for, including my sourdough pancakes (as the fat in the batter) for breakfast and with a bit of olive oil and garlic on green beans.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#14 of 34 Old 01-12-2007, 11:47 AM

I can vouch Spectrum refined is soapy-wierd-not-good-at-all tasting. Maybe that is what was meant?

I'm planning on Nutiva next time (great deal on Amazon), but have Jarrow Formula Organic EV Expeller Pressed for now. I like it, but I'm comparing it to the soapy Spectrum refined, so maybe I'll just be blown away by one of these other brands.
#15 of 34 Old 01-12-2007, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Spectrum just tastes soapy to me, I don't know why. I don't think it has soap in it or anything, I think it's something in how it's processed. I know when I open a fresh coconut and drink the water inside, it has that same soapy taste to me. So maybe it's a freshness issue (since the "fresh" coconut I'm buying in NJ isn't that fresh!) or how it's processed?

I'm having trouble with my new coconut oil because it's so good I've started snitching it straight from the spoon Can you eat too much coconut oil?
#16 of 34 Old 01-12-2007, 12:38 PM

It is a processing issue.

I eat gobs and gobs of coconut oil and coconut milk myself. I already was a huge coconut fan, so learning how spectacular it is for you has been a dream come true!

Just want to share yet another awesome coconut oil fix: CO, honey, and coriander. Whipped it up like honey butter last night for my bread and it was divine.
#17 of 34 Old 01-12-2007, 12:43 PM

I found Jungle Products when I was at Whole Foods, and it seemed to be the best choice given the verbage on the bottle --- "harvested from certified organic, non-GMO trees, hand made in small batches to ensure the original integrity is preserved. The oil is in its natural state and has not been refined in any way. native people, in their natural social environment, harvesting and producing according to the intrinsic harmony of their culture, that's beyond organic. source matters. also 10% goes to charitable organizations. produced with holistic commerce principles."

so, wanting to try others for taste purposes, I picked up Nutiva for my next batch. I am trying them in small containers (1 lb/2 lb) before I commit to a giant one.

anyone know anything about that Jungle Products brand?
#18 of 34 Old 01-12-2007, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

I want to try different brands in small containers too. That's why I'm nervous about buying from Rose Mountain Herbs. So far I haven't heard a bad review of them but you can only buy it in 1 gallon containers or larger. What would I do if I didn't like it
#19 of 34 Old 01-12-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I want to try different brands in small containers too. That's why I'm nervous about buying from Rose Mountain Herbs. So far I haven't heard a bad review of them but you can only buy it in 1 gallon containers or larger. What would I do if I didn't like it
Use it in baking - can't really taste it there. That's how I used up a jar of Spectrum's that I didn't like.
#20 of 34 Old 01-12-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterboxmama View Post
anyone know anything about that Jungle Products brand?
I'm on my first jar of coconut oil that also happens to be the Jungle Products brand. I like it but will try a different brand in the future to see if there is something even better out there!
#21 of 34 Old 01-12-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Spectrum just tastes soapy to me, I don't know why. I don't think it has soap in it or anything, I think it's something in how it's processed. I
I havent had any problems with Spectrum unrefined CO. They make both types....
#22 of 34 Old 01-13-2007, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

I just checked my Spectrum bottle and it's unrefined. I don't think it's a problem per se. Maybe it's a matter of taste and some people like it and some don't. I just didn't like it. I still have the bottle because I didn't know what to do with it. I occasionally used it on my skin but after not even opening it for a year I just pulled it out and it's sort of smelly. I guess it's time to toss it.
#23 of 34 Old 01-23-2007, 04:03 PM

Could it have anything to do with packaging? My unrefined Spectrum tasted icky to me, and it was in a plastic pot. Even in baked goods, I could taste enough to dislike it. (After 24 hours, that flavor did fade...)

Nutiva, however... It's hard to not eat the whole thing with a spoon, and I'm picky!

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#24 of 34 Old 01-23-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlita View Post
Could it have anything to do with packaging? My unrefined Spectrum tasted icky to me, and it was in a plastic pot. Even in baked goods, I could taste enough to dislike it. (After 24 hours, that flavor did fade...)
All of my Spectrum comes in glass. I never seen the plastic containers before.
#25 of 34 Old 01-23-2007, 04:45 PM

Well, hey! Maybe we're on to something?

#26 of 34 Old 01-23-2007, 04:55 PM

Maybe!

Perhaps you can ask your store to order the glass jars of Spectrum instead of plastic. They probably cost the same.
#27 of 34 Old 01-23-2007, 05:35 PM

I dunno what is the best brand, but we're using Nutiva and really liking it. If you get in on a Frontier coop you can get it for $19.99 for a 54oz jar (plastic unfortunately). A few months ago the 54oz jars were on sale for only $13.99

We use it for all kinds of baking/frying...
#28 of 34 Old 01-23-2007, 06:03 PM

I just checked and my Nutiva (the smaller size- 15oz?) is also in plastic.
But it's clear and hard, very different from the white plastic of Spectrum...

#29 of 34 Old 01-23-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma View Post
I dunno what is the best brand, but we're using Nutiva and really liking it. If you get in on a Frontier coop you can get it for $19.99 for a 54oz jar (plastic unfortunately). A few months ago the 54oz jars were on sale for only $13.99

We use it for all kinds of baking/frying...
I'm having a hard time translating ounces to other measurements... how big is 54 oz? Bigger than a quart? How long does it last?

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#30 of 34 Old 01-23-2007, 07:37 PM

So you use the Mountain Rose Herbs CO in baking, etc? That is a terrific price! I wonder if it is as healthy as Tropical Traditions (which is what I ordered last time). Sounds like it tastes better, which is great! (Although I didn't think TT tasted bad - not really coconutty.)

So do any one you put the CO in your hair? How does this work - doesn't it make your hair greasy? How much do you use and do you put it on damp or dry hair? Do you apply to the ends only or the whole scalp? I have dry thin hair and this might make the difference for me!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page