How long does your coconut oil last? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-15-2007, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been using co for my cooking, baking, almost everything for the family, so I think I may be going thru it a bit fast.

I bought five -52 ounce jars of Nutiva in November and I'm already working on my 3rd jar. So just wondering how long does your co last (if you have a gallon or so how long does it take you to get thru it?)
#2 of 16 Old 01-15-2007, 08:04 PM

I buy it in 8 pound tubs every other month and have for about 2 years...we use it quite a bit!
#3 of 16 Old 01-15-2007, 09:49 PM

Funny, I was just going to ask this. Thanks Nikki98!
#4 of 16 Old 01-16-2007, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
Funny, I was just going to ask this. Thanks Nikki98!
You're welcome!
#5 of 16 Old 01-16-2007, 11:49 PM

When I got my gallon from MRH they said it'd last two years. It never lasts that long around here b/c we go through it so fast! Well...that and I split it with my mom...

Am actually thinking about getting the 5 gallon one next time, though.
#6 of 16 Old 01-17-2007, 12:09 AM

Well, I use it for all kinds of stuff beyond cooking -- it's my moisturizer (for the entire family), it's my deodorant (H and DS1, too), I use it to practice oil pulling, I use it as a deep conditioner for my hair, etc. So I go through it pretty quickly. (And I use only the organic EVCO for all of that, because I firmly believe that the things I put on my body should be of the same quality as the things I put into my body.) I'd say a gallon lasts me maybe three months? Seriously, we use a lot of coconut oil!
#7 of 16 Old 01-17-2007, 12:45 AM

My coconut oil is #3 in what I use for cooking behind lard and butter, so I use it a bit slower than pp. I probably got my 1 gallon from MRH about 9 months ago and I'm halfway through.
#8 of 16 Old 01-17-2007, 01:10 AM

I was thinking about this today. I have this , from Azure:
http://www.azurestandard.com/product...tImage=s&fav=1
I feel like I have hardly made a dent in it! I hope it lasts a long time though! It tastes superb and makes great cookie bars

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#9 of 16 Old 01-17-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratc View Post
My coconut oil is #3 in what I use for cooking behind lard and butter, so I use it a bit slower than pp. I probably got my 1 gallon from MRH about 9 months ago and I'm halfway through.

I use olive oil on a lot of stuff, but slowly more EVCO.

I love your siggy

#10 of 16 Old 01-17-2007, 01:45 AM
*Di

Quote:
and makes great cookie bars
Could you let us know which recipe for cookie bars (ie, is it in NT or EFLF book) ?

Thanks !
#11 of 16 Old 01-17-2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmama33 View Post
Well, I use it for all kinds of stuff beyond cooking -- it's my moisturizer (for the entire family), it's my deodorant (H and DS1, too), I use it to practice oil pulling, I use it as a deep conditioner for my hair, etc. So I go through it pretty quickly. (And I use only the organic EVCO for all of that, because I firmly believe that the things I put on my body should be of the same quality as the things I put into my body.) I'd say a gallon lasts me maybe three months? Seriously, we use a lot of coconut oil!
deodorant? pray tell! DD is sensitive to scents and if the rock quits working his is going to be one stinky household!
#12 of 16 Old 01-17-2007, 03:38 AM

uh, well, it was last minute, so it was just thrown together:

#13 of 16 Old 01-18-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
deodorant? pray tell! DD is sensitive to scents and if the rock quits working his is going to be one stinky household!
Hey, I'm not kdmama and haven't tried it myself, but I remember reading over at the Natural Home and Body Care forums that coconut oil rubbed on the armpits is a great deodorant. You're supposed to first scrub the armpits with baking soda to remove dead skin cells and soap residue. And then right when you get out of the shower/bath, rub in some coconut oil. It's supposedly readily absorbed by the skin and doesn't leave residue. Since coconut oil is antibacterial, it keeps the bacteria that causes stink at bay.

I keep meaning to have DH try it since his armpits smell even right after bathing.
#14 of 16 Old 01-18-2007, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

I've also been looking for a good quality natural deodorant, I will try co to see how it works . I can't believe the amount of uses for co, no wonder I've been using it so much .
#15 of 16 Old 01-18-2007, 02:20 PM

EFLF also has a listing at the back of a number of different ways you can use it on your skin.
#16 of 16 Old 01-19-2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratc View Post
Hey, I'm not kdmama and haven't tried it myself, but I remember reading over at the Natural Home and Body Care forums that coconut oil rubbed on the armpits is a great deodorant. You're supposed to first scrub the armpits with baking soda to remove dead skin cells and soap residue. And then right when you get out of the shower/bath, rub in some coconut oil. It's supposedly readily absorbed by the skin and doesn't leave residue. Since coconut oil is antibacterial, it keeps the bacteria that causes stink at bay.
:

Although, I no longer use a baking soda scrub first. I just gently scrub my pits with a loofah while in the shower, then apply CO directly after drying off. It works really, really well! And I've never had any problems with it staining my clothes, which is always the first thing I'm asked about it. It's pretty much like applying it to other parts of my body as a moisturizer, in that it is absorbed like a moisturizer and does not stain, leave residue, etc. Even H, who is completely skeptical about all things "hippie-dippy" uses it and is thrilled with it, as he has always had a bad reaction to commercial deodorants.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page