I hate cutting sweet potatoes...HOW do you do it?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-23-2007, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is probably the most obvious thing for most people but for some reason I just cannot wrap my head around how to cut sweet potatoes (for baked fries, etc.) without losing my mind (or my hand...) How in the world do you do this?

btw, I wasn't sure if this was the write place to post this or not...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-23-2007, 08:46 PM

what kind of knife are you using? I use a BIG knife... slice in half length-wise, then lay the flat side down and cut 3-4 pieces lengthwise again, then flip those on their sides to cut again if they are thick. i might cut each piece in half if they are too long.
#3 of 13 Old 01-23-2007, 08:49 PM

Jenkuh - My grandmother showed me this and so far it is the easiest way. Peel the potato or leave the skin on your choice. Use a big knife, not a paring knife. Cut the potato in half long ways. Put the cut/flat side down on your cutting board and then cut slices long ways. Then if the potato is thick you can cut them again to make smaller pieces for fries or just use the wedges. You can also do this with an onion for slicing or dicing. Just always put the cut/flat side down on your board and the knife won't slip trying to cut something round. BTW she also taught me to put a dish cloth under my cutting board (wet it a little first). It keeps the board from moving so there is less chance it will slip and you will cut your self. I hope this helps we have been doing it this way forever.
#4 of 13 Old 01-23-2007, 08:58 PM

Yes, like the other posters mentioned the most important part for me is using a BIG knife. If I tried a little steak knife or paring knife or somethng I would certainly hav elost some fingers by now! BIG big knife.

BTW- if it helps, I hold my big knife by the handle with my better hand (I am right-handed) and press the palm of the other hand against the non-sharp side of hte knife. Keeps the fingers out of the way.
#5 of 13 Old 01-23-2007, 09:07 PM

Also the quality of knife has alot to do with it. I grew up with a chef father who has had the same JA Henckels chef knife for 25 years, yet I got cheap Target knives when I got married. I finally realized I needed to invest in good knives when I tried cutting the first spaghetti squash I've ever cooked in half...:

Thank-fully I got a JA Henckels knife set for Christmas so I can whack apart spaghetti squash and sweet potatoes with ease. Even if you can't swing a whole set one really good JA Henckels chef knife will run about $40...last you a lifetime and make your life easier!

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#6 of 13 Old 01-23-2007, 10:21 PM

I use the biggest knife I have that is very sharp and high quality (Wustof) and lay the potato on its side and slice. I makes such a difference to have a good knife. If you could buy only one I would get a big one for chopping and slicing...it makes cooking so much easier!

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#7 of 13 Old 01-23-2007, 10:37 PM

I make sweet potato dollars instead of fries!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#8 of 13 Old 01-23-2007, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Seriously! We eat a lot of sweet potatoes and I had pretty much all but given up on anything but the ol' baked sweet potatoe. What everyone says makes sense!!
A) My knives are total cheapies - I think we paid $18 bucks for one of those big sets...should have known!! I was always attempting to cut them thinking, "Surely, if this is really what it is like to cut potatoes - people wouldn't be eating potatoes..."
B) I'm going to go out and buy a BIG, nice quality knife!! Thanks so much - this will make me a happier person!

P.S. I also like the tips for how to cut it as far as a "method" goes!
#9 of 13 Old 01-23-2007, 11:55 PM

I bake my sweet potatoes for 15-20 minutes take them out, let them cool a bit and then cut them and put them back in until they're done. It makes it so much easier!!
#10 of 13 Old 01-24-2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
I make sweet potato dollars instead of fries!
That is what I make with coconut oil and sea salt...they are like really good potato chips when you cook them a little crispy. YUM!

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#11 of 13 Old 01-24-2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbabygirl19 View Post
BTW she also taught me to put a dish cloth under my cutting board (wet it a little first). It keeps the board from moving so there is less chance it will slip and you will cut your self. I hope this helps we have been doing it this way forever.
This is a very good idea! My smaller boards seem to slip a lot. My mother has a pricey silcone mat for under her boards but this would do just as well.

I par-boil potatoes just whole in their skin before cutting them up for chips.
#12 of 13 Old 01-24-2007, 12:53 AM

Our large Henckel's chef knife cost something like $80 a few years ago. With that, a paring knife, a filet knife and a bread knife, you have all the knives you'll ever need! Oh, and invest in a good sharpener too.

It turns out that moderation is the key to good parenting.  Too bad we aren't allowed to talk about that here.

#13 of 13 Old 01-24-2007, 03:35 PM

If you're buying Henckels knives, just be aware that there are different lines and some are cheap stamped steel while others are forged. You want a FULLY forged steel knife, it holds its edge beautifully and is generally better balanced.

I have a Messermeister Meridian Elite 6" chef knife that I LOVE. It is forged steel, stays sharp for a long time (but I have a DH who loves to sharpen knives, too). It retails for around $100 CDN ($75 US on cooking.com)and is worth every penny. I find the 6" blade to be the perfect size - I am small, but it's big *enough* to cut pretty much everything. I also have some cheap 8" Victorinox chef knives and they are nowhere near as good.

Basically if you are paying less than about $70 PER KNIFE you are probably not getting a good knife, unless you're buying them from someone's tailgate and they keep looking around shiftily, IYKWIM.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page