when did you start giving your toddler grains? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-25-2007, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know the WAPF says babies don't product amalyse to digest grains until between one and two years of age. I'm wondering when other NT'ers introduced grains to their babies/toddlers and why they decided they were ready at that point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-25-2007, 12:55 PM

This is such a great question, thanks! I keep saying I'll delay grains as long as I can, but we eat grains so I'm not sure we'll make it far past 12 mo. The thought of "this is for me, you can't have any" seems so sad!
#3 of 9 Old 01-25-2007, 07:46 PM

Since 6 months I've been giving some grains - I aim for things like soaked quinoa as I tell myself it isn't technically a grain, although I'm not sure it's a great idea, but I too hate the idea of denying baby what I'm eating. Also I let him have a taste of whatever I'm eating, and that's usually enough.

busy mama of three
#4 of 9 Old 01-26-2007, 08:09 AM

In traditional cultures the mothers would chew thier babies food, then give it to them, all nicely coated in the mothers saliva enzymes, which would compensate for the baby's lack of amalyse. I know in India they do this.. as we have travelled there alot. They give rice from 6-8 months, cooked in cows milk, then chewed by mommy. We tried to do the same with ds from about 6 months. I made him mushy quinoa and brown rice, chewed it, then fed him from my fingers.
He loved it, and although it was messy sometimes, I also loved the feeling of 'really' feeding my baby. Hes now 13 m/o and is still getting his grains chewed.

Sita:, busy mama to 3 busy boys
#5 of 9 Old 01-26-2007, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliebebe View Post
In traditional cultures the mothers would chew thier babies food, then give it to them, all nicely coated in the mothers saliva enzymes, which would compensate for the baby's lack of amalyse. I know in India they do this.. as we have travelled there alot. They give rice from 6-8 months, cooked in cows milk, then chewed by mommy. We tried to do the same with ds from about 6 months. I made him mushy quinoa and brown rice, chewed it, then fed him from my fingers.
He loved it, and although it was messy sometimes, I also loved the feeling of 'really' feeding my baby. Hes now 13 m/o and is still getting his grains chewed.
So when did the mothers in India stop chewing their baby's grains?
#6 of 9 Old 01-27-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
So when did the mothers in India stop chewing their baby's grains?
Anywhere from about 10 months onwards I think. I only still do it as I like it, but ds can chew quite well with his 8 teeth.

Sita:, busy mama to 3 busy boys
#7 of 9 Old 01-29-2007, 09:25 PM
EBG

I introduced NT oatmeal at about 13-14 months. I just didn't want to feed her eggs for breakfast every single day, ykwm?
I have since introduced soaked brown rice and also just tried real sourdough, a little piece at 18 months. However, she's had a rash on her cheeks since yesterday. I don't know if it's the sourdough or something else, but she seems fine with oatmeal and rice, soaked of course and with butter followed by yogurt to give her extra enzymes.
#8 of 9 Old 01-30-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBG View Post
However, she's had a rash on her cheeks since yesterday. I don't know if it's the sourdough or something else, but she seems fine with oatmeal and rice, soaked of course and with butter followed by yogurt to give her extra enzymes.
My dd reacts the same way....red rash on her cheeks. Introducing grains has been frustrating for us. Dd is 15 mo now, but only able to tolerate rice, millet, and buckwheat. She doesn't seem to do well with any gluten or any type of flours. We are trying to soak everything. Somewhere I read that if you wait too long to introduce grains, you may increase their tendancy to be allergic to those foods. Do you all think you can you ever introduce grains too late?

Poor kid...we tried some store bought rice crackers, but I think that maybe some additive bothered her and she has the tell tale cheek rash. Unfortunately she learned how to say "cracker" and walks around the kitchen asking for cracker all day but I can't give them to her even though she's so darn cute saying "cracker". Any homemade, "low grain" cracker ideas?
#9 of 9 Old 01-30-2007, 02:35 AM

will flax or sesame crackers do?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page