Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-26-2007, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chicken Feet

SOURCE: http://www.jewishfood-list.com/memor...kenfeet01.html

If you find a butcher who does his own shechita (slaughtering) he will have chicken feet. Before buying, be sure to inquire if the feet have already been soaked and salted; if not, you will have to do that part at home. These days the feet are usually discarded, so they may not have been koshered together with the rest of the bird.

My mother grew up in Europe (where nothing was thrown away) so 'fiselach' were always included in our chicken soup. They add a lot of strength to the broth. When I am lucky enough to find them, I buy a large quantity, clean well (be sure to clip off the claws,) kasher them if necessary, then wrap in small packages (4-6 feet each) and freeze for future soups.

When my son was an infant his constitution was weak. An elderly Rabbi I consulted advised me to buy a large quantity of chicken feet and cook them up into a soup... then strain the broth and feed it to my son in his baby bottle. He said it would give him strength. I believe it did.

Posted by Ruth Baks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old note from a fellow internet surfer:

Here are a couple of recipes.
The souse is like pickled chicken feet ~ in a lime juice/cucumber marinade
http://kuali.com/recipes/viewrecipe.asp?r=1190
or
http://www.islandflave.com/recipes/souse.shtml

The chinese have a stir fry dish
http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-...5/138000.shtml

Chicken Soup
http://www.recipesource.com/soups/soups/01/rec0186.html

There is also such a thing as "deep fried chicken feet" but I cant find that recipe right now - lol
#2 of 10 Old 01-27-2007, 11:08 PM

I use them when making my chicken stock. I have heard they are great for health too.
#3 of 10 Old 01-29-2007, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I buy a few pounds of heads & feet each time I go out to the farm.

I cook a whole chicken then throw the carcass along with the neck into a big roaster oven, add about 20 feet & 10 heads & simmer away for about 20-24 hours. Mmmmmmmmm.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#4 of 10 Old 01-29-2007, 12:30 PM

So when you say heads, you're talking about putting the brain and eyes and everything in your broth? I just can't get past the eeewww factor. I could do feet but I don't know about heads.
It's like "Fear Factor:Housewives" - What can you get your family to eat next?

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#5 of 10 Old 01-29-2007, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's really not that bad, to be honest, the toe nails are the ickiest part to me, only because they scratch my hands so badly when I'm breaking them apart when they're all frozen together to put them into smaller bags. I've never seen an eyeball or brain floating around in my stock, they seem to stay in the head.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#6 of 10 Old 01-29-2007, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I made the most amazing broth when I use chicken feet. I have to admit, though, they don't look very appetizing!

#7 of 10 Old 01-29-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero View Post
It's like "Fear Factor:Housewives" - What can you get your family to eat next?

Even the smell of the broth cooking in the house all of the time is a little nauseating! Especially when everything is all closed up in the winter. I am sure my family will love me when I add the feet to the broth... or pull out the raw liver! Other familys will be assured that we REALLY ARE nuts!

:
#8 of 10 Old 01-29-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Mama View Post

Even the smell of the broth cooking in the house all of the time is a little nauseating! Especially when everything is all closed up in the winter. I am sure my family will love me when I add the feet to the broth... or pull out the raw liver! Other familys will be assured that we REALLY ARE nuts!
I agree!
If our white bread eating/low fat loving neighbors only knew.
#9 of 10 Old 01-29-2007, 04:12 PM

I've had traditional Chinese-style chicken feet. I am pretty adventurous when it comes to food but these were nasty. Slimy, and none too tasty either.

I can see putting them in a broth though! That's a good idea.

(When my sisters and I were little, my dad took us duck hunting a lot. Our favourite part was after the ducks had been plucked and dressed, we got the feet to play with, and we could find the tendon in the back and pull it and make the feet curl up - fun! And no we were not toy-deprived.)

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#10 of 10 Old 01-29-2007, 07:59 PM
EBG

I also make stock with feet and it gels way better.
In Eastern Europe where I'm from people eat it as part of their chicken soup. You kind of suck the skin off the bones. It's not as gross as it sounds but it's sure messy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page