Kefir, Anyone Ripen with a 2nd Fermentation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-29-2007, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Maturation. Liquid kefir was regularly forced through a secondary fermentation or a continual fermentation to ripen. A mixture of freshly strained kefir, sometimes with the addition of fresh milk and the occasional addition of the root of the Snow Rose [Rhododendron caucasicum] was stored in wooden barrels, or clay crocks. The container of choice was plugged airtight and the contents brewed over several days. This produced a highly effervescent beverage, with increased alcohol content compared to pre-secondary fermentation. This form or variety of kefir has an exceptional good keeping quality, with a substantial increase of certain Vitamins of the B group. Folic acid may increase by at least 116% after the second day of ripening. With this, the ripening kefir could be enjoyed as it evolves toward maturation.
Quote:
Today, traditional kefir is cultured in multitudes of households worldwide. Unfortunately though, the ripening process as explained above, is not well addressed nor is it practiced. Omitting this important process, and solely consuming freshly strained kefir, or refrigerated kefir, is only in part of reaping a wider spectrum of benefits, initiated by the very mysterious natural mother-culture--- kefir grains.
Source

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2007, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yummmmm...

I don't do it the way described above, though I definitely prefer kefir that's well-aged. Won't drink the 24hr stuff. Prefer it to be going for about a week. And the kefir cream off the top is the best!!
Old 01-29-2007, 04:20 PM

Interesting. I'll have to check it out.

I'm a newbie, but once my kefir sat in the fridge for a couple of days and it got very fizzy and thick like yogurt. Normally, I can't stand drinking milk but this was very good.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:28 PM

Good info! I never thought about a second fermentation before. What really caught my attention was the fact that secondary fermentation really increases the nutrient value of the kefir. This is something I should really consider doing.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:44 PM

Great info! Thanks for posting.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:30 AM

I have done a secondary fermentation with adding a split vanilla bean. OH that is GOOD.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I do find it mellows if I leave it out for another day. I especially liked it that way when I was pregnant, now I know why!
Old 01-30-2007, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, but this is *after* it's strained.....I'm going to try it out, maybe with a vanilla bean.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 01-30-2007, 02:21 AM

Does anyone have more specific guidelines? Proportion of strained kefir to fresh milk? How long to leave it out? How to know when it's ready?

:
Old 01-30-2007, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Read both of these pages thoroughly, excellent info, I have them bookmarked.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:32 PM

Hey, woman, thanks for posting this! I missed that in my previous perusals of Dom's page. He sure doesn't organize things in an easy way, does he?

I've been wondering why my kefir was nothing like storebought kefir. It wasn't fizzy, it was more curd-y, didn't have the same flavor bite. I tried aging it in the fridge for a few days, thinking that would help the fizz develop. Nope.

After reading this thread, I aged the stuff I poured off last night, just overnight. When I poured some off that jar this morning for my smoothie, it was perfect! I figured I'd have to leave it there for a while longer, but nope

Oh, and have I mentioned how much I prefer goat's milk kefir to cow's? I splurged on a half gallon of goat's milk just for kefir last week... yummmmmmmmm
Old 02-01-2007, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

I was wondering if you caught this! We need to hang out cause I want to pick your brain on kombucha. Yes, Dom needs some organizational skills! I can read his site 10 times & still find something new the next time I read it!

I also did an overnight 2nd fermentation, we enjoyed our kefir smoothies yesterday morning. This new 2nd fermentation brings about some questions though.......shall I have 2 separate jars of kefir going at once to rotate so we can have our kefir smoothies each morning? As if I need my routine to be any more complicated. And I just offered up some of my extra grains....me thinks the takers will be getting less than I originally set aside for them.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Here's another segment about 2nd fermemtation.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
xenabyte reminded me recently that kefiring lid-on favors yeast, and therefore tang, whereas lid-off favors bacteria. i've found raw milk kefir is better lid-on and pasturized milk is better lid-off. ot but i've also found it's easier to clean up kefir from ceramic containers, rather than glass, where it leaves residue. they used to use milk in paint for a reason. . .
Old 02-02-2007, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Huh, I've always used raw milk with the lid on, in glass jars & have never had residue problems, ever.

I strained a pint of kefir last night & let it sit out on the counter overnight. I reeeeeaaally want to let it keep going for a couple more days but I reeeeeeaaaaally want my kefir smoothie! I'm so accustomed to having one each morning that this new routine is really hard! Which leads me back to the need for 2 jars of kefir to rotate....

Old 02-09-2007, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

I strain my kefir into a 32oz yogurt container. I leave it out on the counter. The following day, I strain my next batch of kefir into the same yogurt container, adding it to the kefir from the day before. Twice each day, I tumble the container around to mix it up *this prevents mold from forming.* I then pour off enough for my kefir smoothie & the following day, I again add freshly strained kefir to the already existing kefir. After about 6 days, I strain my next batch of kefir into a fresh, clean yogurt container & start new, using up all of the older kefir while my new batch brews.

Does this make sense? I just keep adding to the same batch of strained kefir that is sitting out on the counter all week. It's working out beautifully, it's fizzier, yet smoother, very tasty!

Old 02-10-2007, 03:40 AM

thanks guys! i just got my grains so i'm working on what my system should be and all this info has been so helpful!

User Tag List