Sauerkraut - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-31-2007, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been cravin sauerkraut alot lately and have been eating 1 cup or more everyday. I love the stuff! It is not pasteurized so I know I'm getting alot of good nutrients. I ead an article today though that said that cabage or sauerkraut on a regular basis can cause thyroid problems but that it's okay when cooked. I'm guessing that article is talking about the pasteurized, white vinegar sauerkaut. What do you think about this? Wouldn't it be okay fermented if it is okay when cooked? I just can't afford to risk thyroid issues especially since alot of my siblings are having thyroid problem so I know I have a greater chance. But I'd love to keep eating sauerkraut if I can.

Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 01-31-2007, 03:19 AM

can you link us the article?
#3 of 9 Old 01-31-2007, 02:31 PM

I could see that it could be a problem if the sauerkraut was made with regular iodized table salt. Fermented veggies are usually rather high in salt and table salt is not very good for you. Iodized table salt is stripped of all trace minerals leaving pure NaCl and then an unusually high ratio of iodine is added. Table salt behaves very aggressively in your body and iodized table salt has been known to cause thyroid issues, but I can't see why there would be a problem with fermented veggies made with regular salt.
#4 of 9 Old 01-31-2007, 07:28 PM

I think it's the cabbage itself that is the problem. Cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, mustard greens, and other related vegetables suppress thyroid function. I don't know how the chemical composition may change during fermentation and whether that makes any difference. Any basic article or book about hypothyroidism (and probably a google search) usually states that someone with that diagnosis should avoid large quantities of these vegetables. I have no idea how "large quantity" is defined however. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
#5 of 9 Old 02-01-2007, 06:53 AM

Yes, I've read that cabbage (and other things in the cabbage family) can cause thyroid issues. I don't know whether cooking the cabbage changes anything. However, I would think that eating sauerkraut in moderate portions as a side dish would be fine.
#6 of 9 Old 02-01-2007, 12:54 PM

Cabbage contains goitrogens (sp?) which can affect thyroid function. Cooking the cabbage neutralizes the goitrogens. I don't know whether fermenting it has any affect on them--Gale Force might be a good one to ask that question.
#7 of 9 Old 02-02-2007, 03:08 AM

I think the fermentation process is really powerful, as the general traditional foods thought is that yogurt and kefir made from pasteurized milk is still beneficial and fermented soy products are okay.

I also found this quote in an article from the WAPF site:

"Cabbage Juice has been found to be extremely effective in treating peptic ulcers. We actually recommend the juice of fermented cabbage; that is, sauerkraut juice, because raw cabbage can depress thyroid function."
#8 of 9 Old 02-02-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratc View Post
"Cabbage Juice has been found to be extremely effective in treating peptic ulcers. We actually recommend the juice of fermented cabbage; that is, sauerkraut juice, because raw cabbage can depress thyroid function."
Great info! Thanks for sharing that quote!
#9 of 9 Old 02-02-2007, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for all of the amazing replies!

It sounds like it is okay. I've been eating alot of it, like 1 cup almost every day, and I love it. I also eat alot of other fermented foods such as real pickles, yogurt, etc. I just feel so good eating them and eating cooked foods without them makes me feel tired.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page