chelation,remineralization(wasDd's Teeth) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 129 Old 02-18-2007, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok, I looked up the mothering article and it confirms what everyone here says about the oxalic acid, it doesn't have it unlike spinach, evidently the acid makes the calcium less bioavailable.

that is interesting about the groitrogens, seems there is advantages to eating it both ways. However, it seems that using some raw spinach in salads would not be the most advantageous way to enjoy the spinach.
from the great article mountainmom posted (for those that don't want to read it). Now I feel even happier about eating this after reading about all these great benefits.
Quote:
kale contains a variety of glucosinolates which, when broken down by the body, form different isothiocyanates. Isothiocyanates and their metabolites have been found to inhibit the development of chemically induced cancers of the lung, liver, esophagus, stomach, small intestine, colon, and mammary gland in a variety of animal models6. glucosinolate factoidSulforaphane, an isothiocyanate, may help prevent cancer by promoting the elimination of potential carcinogens from the body and enhancing the transcription of tumor suppressor proteins. When kale is chopped or chewed, myrosinase, a class of enzyme, begins to interact with the glucosinolates and release the isothiocyanates. This increases the amount absorbed by the body. However, the absorption of isothiocyanates is substantially lower from cooked than from raw kale. Glucosinolates are water-soluble compounds that may be leached into cooking water. Boiling kale from 9–15 minutes can result in an 18–59% decrease in the total glucosinolate content. Cooking methods that use less water, such as steaming or sautéing may reduce glucosinolate losses (see recipe below). Several studies have found that inactivation of myrosinase in cruciferous vegetables substantially decreases the bioavailability of isothiocyanates7. Cooking at high heat may also decrease the activity of plant based myrosinase, but our gastrointestinal tract also has myrosinase, and still may be Dinosaur kaleable to break down the glucosinolates.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#62 of 129 Old 02-18-2007, 10:08 PM

For those of you that need a visual on what I consider a baked potato:
http://flickr.com/photos/toraji/394715279/
That was yesterday's breakfast, and that same bowl is what we load our dinner salads into.

I like to eat my kale both raw and cooked, but I do prefer it cooked and can eat much more of it that way.

HerthElde, I know of a good place to get an amethyst merkaba dowsing pendulum for your divining pleasure.
#63 of 129 Old 02-19-2007, 12:03 AM

mmmm. that looks good. I will have to try the nutritional yeast on the potato, to be honest any other way I have had it has been quit disgusting to me.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#64 of 129 Old 02-19-2007, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji View Post
For those of you that need a visual on what I consider a baked potato:
http://flickr.com/photos/toraji/394715279/
That was yesterday's breakfast, and that same bowl is what we load our dinner salads into.
Yum!!!! That looks fantastic.

Quote:
HerthElde, I know of a good place to get an amethyst merkaba dowsing pendulum for your divining pleasure.
I know you guys are joking, but I believe in using muscle testing to find answers to questions, especially health-related ones. I used to use a pendulum, but it's much easier to just use my fingers or my hands.

#65 of 129 Old 02-19-2007, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

toraji, that baked potato looks

Alas, as tempting as the pendulum sounds, I have a weird energy repelling thing going on with amethyst. When I put my hand near an amethyst it's like when you try to put two magnets of the same charge together. Hmm, maybe that would be a good thing - like an extension of my energy . . .

Back to the food issue, I've also never had a filling or braces or anything, so who would I go to to be tested for heavy metals? Is there a point as long as I'm nursing? My mom said they actually used to play with mercury in science class in elementary school - I'm wondering if some toxic buildup from that may have passed down (mom's never had a cavity either, so no fillings). I also wanted to mention that in that book I'm reading (The Companion to Homeopathy by Colin Griffith), he mentions that mercury-caused gut damage can specifically cause inability to digest casein and gluten - has anyone else ever heard this?
#66 of 129 Old 02-19-2007, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicharronita View Post
I know you guys are joking, but I believe in using muscle testing to find answers to questions, especially health-related ones. I used to use a pendulum, but it's much easier to just use my fingers or my hands.
I just discovered my pendulum-dowsing ability and I'm quite enjoying it I'm actually training in Body Talk right now, which uses muscle testing to find what needs to be healed, etc, so I think using it in a non-healer/non-bodytalk way might confuse my perceptions - not sure if that makes sense . . . basically, I will be professionally obligated to keep it separate . . .
#67 of 129 Old 02-19-2007, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde View Post
he mentions that mercury-caused gut damage can specifically cause inability to digest casein and gluten - has anyone else ever heard this?
http://www.tacanow.com/mercury.htm

scroll way down to:

Q: My child is GFCF. Can I continue the diet?

If it makes your child feel better, then by all means continue. Bernie Windham has written a paper that describes how mercury interferes with the enzyme that is needed to digest gluten and casein. .....

i think this is the paper to which the above URL refers: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~berniew1/kidshg.html

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#68 of 129 Old 02-19-2007, 01:08 AM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#69 of 129 Old 02-19-2007, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Back to the food issue, I've also never had a filling or braces or anything, so who would I go to to be tested for heavy metals? Is there a point as long as I'm nursing? My mom said they actually used to play with mercury in science class in elementary school - I'm wondering if some toxic buildup from that may have passed down (mom's never had a cavity either, so no fillings). I also wanted to mention that in that book I'm reading
You don't want to do any chelation or detoxing while ttc, prego, or nursing. Mobilizing the mercury in any way increases your and dc's or fetus exposure and can be harmful. The only thing you can do at this time is improve your own natural detox pathways by adding selenium and vit C (sodium ascorbate, acerola berry, or amalaki berry). Of course, excellent nutriton is also key.
#70 of 129 Old 02-19-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Alas, as tempting as the pendulum sounds, I have a weird energy repelling thing going on with amethyst. When I put my hand near an amethyst it's like when you try to put two magnets of the same charge together. Hmm, maybe that would be a good thing - like an extension of my energy . . .
That's so interesting...I wonder what about it is causing the energy repelling in your body? The description for amethyst properties from www.mythnlynx.com:
Quote:
AMETHYST This mineral provides for good spiritual cleansing and development, helping the mind to calm and dwell on higher thoughts. Used also extensively for healing in the healing arts. It is also known for protection from psychic attacks, an excellent stone for activating the crown chakra
It's quite possible that you are just really energy sensitive and are sensing the energy coming off the stone. Try with other stones and see if you get different impressions. You will probably be able to sense positive and negative terminations on crystals (positive feels like a pushing sensation, negative feels like a sucking or drawing in sensation). I'd also be really curious to see what orgonite makes you feel like, you can get some personal orgonite for free at http://www.freeorgonite.com

I'm not so good at dowsing (working on it), and I suck at muscle testing too. That's so cool that you are training in BodyTalk! I'm doing training in Quantum Touch right now. The NAET practitioner that I'm working with to address my allergies also does Quantum Touch and Body Talk and mixes it all together when she treats me. She also does muscle testing on herself while she treats me to figure out what needs to be addressed (I guess that's a BodyTalk thing) and totally launching into woo-woo land, I had a very fearful reaction during our last session to a bag of moldy leaves. After some muscle testing on herself she determined that it was an ancestral memory for me, and she got the impression of someone hiding in the bushes (possibly my father). Her theory is that we not only inherit genes from our parents, but also their water in a homeopathic sense, passing on the vibrations that affected the parents into the children, and related a few stories of clients who had vivid memories of the past that they could not have possibly experienced (like molestation by a long-dead relative) and upon further investigation, found that the mother or another relative had had that experience.
#71 of 129 Old 02-19-2007, 03:31 PM

re: determining toxicity
Get a hair test and interpret using these counting rules
http://home.earthlink.net/~moriam/HOW_TO_hair_test.html
That page will tell you which hair test to get, plus a link to Direct Labs if you don't want to go through a practitioner to get it done (that's what I did).

Yes, mercury interferes with the enzymes needed for gluten/casein digestion, amongst other things.

No chelation while prego/bf unfortunately, like moneca says above.
#72 of 129 Old 02-20-2007, 02:19 AM

:
best. thread. ever.
#73 of 129 Old 02-20-2007, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I just discovered my pendulum-dowsing ability and I'm quite enjoying it I'm actually training in Body Talk right now, which uses muscle testing to find what needs to be healed, etc, so I think using it in a non-healer/non-bodytalk way might confuse my perceptions - not sure if that makes sense . . . basically, I will be professionally obligated to keep it separate . . .
Thanks for the link! That looks interesting.

I try to limit the muscle-testing to nutrition and health questions, especially for finding out which supplements to take. It's gotten to the point where I feel the "yes" answer in my chest right before I get the answer in my hands.

#74 of 129 Old 02-20-2007, 01:11 PM

I have been reading the chelation thread in the Dental forum, but not chiming in. My family has lead poisoning rather than mercury. Obviously, I have been obsessively reading about chelation since it happened. I favor a whole foods approach to the issue, not a chemical one. DMSA is a serious chemical, Boyd Haley considers it a neurotoxin, I believe. To me, it seems akin to shaking my china cabinet in order to get the china out- faster than carefully removing each piece, but stuff breaks. If you want to minimize breakage, you would pad the surrounding areas, the way Andy Cutler recommends supplements to try to optimize the body's natural detox pathways. But stuff could still break. At any rate, dd is only now 3.5 and probably able to communicate headache symptoms, but it's too scary. The body has multiple detox pathways. We work on optimizing the gut, and liver support when she will . I do think that the metallothionen pathway information on www.alternativementalhealth.com , and zinc optimization, help us. Next we are going to work on the skin- starting with bentonite clay baths, and hopefully I can get her to drink some clay water. I wish we could afford foot patches. I do not think that she would benefit from sauna, as she hates the heat. I would probably benefit from it, though. As our exposure was continuous over the course of 2 years (lead paint in substandard rental housing), we are all slowly pushing the lead out of our bones. I am nursing both kids- dd2 is nearly 9months and certainly some goes in the breast milk. I'm starting to consider the idea that subtle measures, like bentonite baths, might not be contraindicated for me, as they would not likely challenge much more lead out of the bones, but more likely draw out the circulating lead, which is in danger of getting into the breastmilk anyway.
#75 of 129 Old 02-20-2007, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

I was considering branching off the "woo woo land " conversation to a spirituality thread, but I realized it has bearing on healing, and links in with nutrition, so unless anyone has objections I wouldn't mind continuing it here . . .

I'll have to "try" amethyst again . . . it was really only one specific "set" that repelled me, a rune set. I recently got a crystal healing book, but I haven't played with my crystals much (dh and I both have crystals from a long time ago). I'll have to try the organite - I'd heard of it before and thought it intriguing, but didn't look very far into it (I have many things on my plate). Thanks for the links toraji! Very interesting.
I have a friend who's training in Quantum Touch right now - she told me a story about how her boss (she's a receptionist at a heling studio) was giving her a session and a memory of grief came up, turned out to be her mother's (her mom has MS) that had passed on to her. The session left her with a "hole" in her heart chakra that she needed to plug - so on her way home she decided to grab the energy from the Universe to plug the hole. Next day, her boss was working on her again and said "you have a plug here that I can't remove" - when she told her that she'd put it there herself, she decided to leave it be.
I've had an active ancestral memory of a volcano dealt with through body talk - I don't know for sure, but the timeline fits that would be the reason my dad's paternal ancestors left Iceland in the 1800s.
I've also had a crazy experience with opening my heart chakra. I can't even describe it . . . it was like I opened a door and walked into a room filled with high voltage . . . scary and entrancing and completely indescribable.
My digestive issues stem in part from being unable to "digest" mainstream thought processes/the societal "norms", etc
My list of things I want to study: Run Valdr, Homeopathy (Heilkunst), and holistic nutrition. I'm Heathen, so I'm also looking into traditional healing paths (Seidr, Galdr, runic healing), but I haven't found a whole lot of info so far . . .

provocativa, thanks so much for the link. I'm with you on the slower approach . . . I really want more children (and I know I have at least one more out there), but want to be in better shape before I even contemplate TTC again. The healing work I did between Katja and Niesha was really beneficial - Niesha is quite obviously sturdier, healthier overall - but I also became even more depleted resulting in PPD that I can't go through again. So I may need to do some faster healing after Niesha weans - she's only 12.5 months though, so who knows how long that will be . . .
#76 of 129 Old 02-20-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocativa View Post
I have been reading the chelation thread in the Dental forum, but not chiming in. My family has lead poisoning rather than mercury. Obviously, I have been obsessively reading about chelation since it happened. I favor a whole foods approach to the issue, not a chemical one. DMSA is a serious chemical, Boyd Haley considers it a neurotoxin, I believe. To me, it seems akin to shaking my china cabinet in order to get the china out- faster than carefully removing each piece, but stuff breaks. If you want to minimize breakage, you would pad the surrounding areas, the way Andy Cutler recommends supplements to try to optimize the body's natural detox pathways. But stuff could still break. At any rate, dd is only now 3.5 and probably able to communicate headache symptoms, but it's too scary. The body has multiple detox pathways. We work on optimizing the gut, and liver support when she will .
True that DMSA is a chemical and can do it's own damage. That is why it took me so many months to begin chelating. I hated the thought of taking any chemicals into my body. I finally got to the point where it was choosing the lesser of two evils between taking DMSA or keeping the mercury. I'm glad that I started the DMSA because of the incredible healing that has taken place in my body. For me, stopping the DMSA and using NCD instead was a good switch. If I had to do it all over I'd just use the NCD instead of the DMSA. I think a decision to chelate has to be taken very seriously like deciding whether or not to vaccinate. There is so much info/research to pour through and it is a very personal decision. Supporting the body's detox pathways is key regardless of whether or not one uses chelating agents.
#77 of 129 Old 02-21-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
My family has lead poisoning rather than mercury.
I believe that NCD works for lead chelation as well.
Quote:
DMSA is a serious chemical, Boyd Haley considers it a neurotoxin, I believe.
ACK!!! Don't tell me that!!!! I still have a few bottles left of the stuff!
#78 of 129 Old 02-23-2007, 03:36 PM

I kept trying to get some free time to post something cogent but it's not happening so I'm just going to slap something together here.

HerthElde, I think you are my long-lost soul sister.

Back on the topic of soil and crop nutrition, here's an easy way to see the effects of poor nutrition on plants. Right now I don't have any broccoli in my garden, so I'm buying the organic broccoli from the coop, which comes from big organic growers in California. They are big, beautiful dark green heads of broccoli, so they must be full of nutrition since they are so gorgeous, right? Then I cut open the stems (since I eat the stems after I peel off the hard outer layer) and they are hollow inside. Know what that means? Boron deficiency. Hmm. I wonder what other nutrients may be lacking, since they are not "essential" for growing a picture-perfect crop? And how many other crops are like this?
#79 of 129 Old 02-23-2007, 06:40 PM

I *think* that hollow broccoli stems mean selenium deficiency as well. That blows my mind so much, I have never seen hollow broccoli!
#80 of 129 Old 02-24-2007, 01:00 AM

Yikes about the broccoli..this is why I take total minerals!

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#81 of 129 Old 02-24-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally'smom View Post
I *think* that hollow broccoli stems mean selenium deficiency as well. That blows my mind so much, I have never seen hollow broccoli!
I've seen it quite a bit recently.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#82 of 129 Old 02-24-2007, 10:45 PM

Okay, I think it might be EDTA that Haley considers a neurotoxin, not DMSA. I am well aware that DMSA chelates lead- I did say I have been researching this for years. We are too poor for all that's involved, and she is high-functioning so it's difficult to prove at this point, in order to sue the landlady. Lead's effects are more subtle than mercury's, and she is 'ahead' of the vaccine laden formula and fast food gobbling set, even with the poisoning.
#83 of 129 Old 02-24-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Okay, I think it might be EDTA that Haley considers a neurotoxin, not DMSA. I am well aware that DMSA chelates lead- I did say I have been researching this for years. We are too poor for all that's involved, and she is high-functioning so it's difficult to prove at this point, in order to sue the landlady. Lead's effects are more subtle than mercury's, and she is 'ahead' of the vaccine laden formula and fast food gobbling set, even with the poisoning.
I think it might be EDTA too. I had never read that about DMSA so I searched Boyd Haley's work on anything having to do with DMSA and couldn't find that info. Thanks for coming back and clarifying .
#84 of 129 Old 02-24-2007, 11:27 PM

Toraji - As much as I like the blended salad idea for remineralizing I decided to stick with regular salads for now. I do want to assist my remin so I started eating 2 big salads during the day instead of one and pulled my juicer out of the cabinet. I added a 8 oz carrot/kale/chard juice to my day. Well, I started feeling like crap toward the end of the first day. I was tired (not my norm) and several of my mercury tox symptoms came back mildly. I couldn't figure out what was going on since I didn't miss any ALA doses. Then I remembered you posting about your mercury tox symptoms coming on strong when you began a veg lifestyle. I guess what they say about veg juicing and lot of veggies cleansing all your cells is true! I'm still a bit in shock. I upped my NCD from 10 drops 3 times per day to 15 3 times per day and it has helped. This is pretty wild for me.
#85 of 129 Old 02-25-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca View Post
Toraji - As much as I like the blended salad idea for remineralizing I decided to stick with regular salads for now. I do want to assist my remin so I started eating 2 big salads during the day instead of one and pulled my juicer out of the cabinet. I added a 8 oz carrot/kale/chard juice to my day. Well, I started feeling like crap toward the end of the first day. I was tired (not my norm) and several of my mercury tox symptoms came back mildly. I couldn't figure out what was going on since I didn't miss any ALA doses. Then I remembered you posting about your mercury tox symptoms coming on strong when you began a veg lifestyle. I guess what they say about veg juicing and lot of veggies cleansing all your cells is true! I'm still a bit in shock. I upped my NCD from 10 drops 3 times per day to 15 3 times per day and it has helped. This is pretty wild for me.
Holy cow! I'm glad you're getting the stuff out. Better out than in, I say. I had a lot of detox reactions moving to a veg diet then had great health for a while before my downward spiral, and then my mercury symptoms kicked in full force after about a year of nursing DD. My theory is that my body was able to keep the mercury in check until I had the full body breakdown from being so depleted. That's when everything went completely haywire, with my severe allergies, brain fog, and such.

To be honest, I prefer my salads in whole form too. I only did blended salads when I was trying to actively remineralize. Plus, it was an easy way to get DD to eat a lot of veggies. Now that she's older though, she's able to chew a lot better.

AFAIK, hollow stem is only related to boron deficiency. Here's a post from MT that talks about it in depth:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...8&postcount=68

And an article about declining nutrient levels in vegetables:
http://tinyurl.com/38xbv

And a fairly old map of selenium status in USA and Canada. Todays levels may be even worse. But if you are in a low-selenium area, it's probably a good idea to supplement.
http://www.saanendoah.com/map1.html
#86 of 129 Old 02-27-2007, 01:55 AM

Wow. I love this thread.

I have a couple cavities but DS is nursing and those teeth have mercury in them from probably 15 years ago. :

I need to try the butter oil.... Keep the great info coming!

-Kelly
#87 of 129 Old 03-17-2007, 07:02 PM

I just ordered toothsoap! I am starting the candida diet so I figure I might as well remineralize at the same time!

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#88 of 129 Old 03-17-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
I just ordered toothsoap! I am starting the candida diet so I figure I might as well remineralize at the same time!
I used toothsoap for a little while. I would warn you about 2 things! 1) it makes your teeth so free of any kind of coating or whatever that food stains will stick to them very easily; they'll turn a little brown, but you can get it off with baking soda. 2) you will never be able to go back to regular toothpaste. Normal toothpastes all contain glycerin, which is a sticky substance that coats your teeth and makes them feel disgusting once you feel what it's like to be glycerin-free. I don't use tooth soap anymore, but I still search out toothpastes that don't have glycerin in them (so far all I've found is Colgate Fresh Confidence. even the hippy natural brands of toothpaste all have glycerin in them).

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#89 of 129 Old 03-18-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn View Post
I used toothsoap for a little while. I would warn you about 2 things! 1) it makes your teeth so free of any kind of coating or whatever that food stains will stick to them very easily; they'll turn a little brown, but you can get it off with baking soda. 2) you will never be able to go back to regular toothpaste. Normal toothpastes all contain glycerin, which is a sticky substance that coats your teeth and makes them feel disgusting once you feel what it's like to be glycerin-free. I don't use tooth soap anymore, but I still search out toothpastes that don't have glycerin in them (so far all I've found is Colgate Fresh Confidence. even the hippy natural brands of toothpaste all have glycerin in them).
I have found that my teeth stain much more easily now and have to use a mix of lemon juice and bs every one to two weeks to whiten. Can I ask why you stopped the toothsoap?
#90 of 129 Old 03-18-2007, 11:23 PM

Is there really any advantage to using something like toothsoap (which costs a fortune!) over, say, WATER? Do teeth really need to be brushed with something, or can I just get my toothbrush wet and away?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page