Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.grassyhilldairy.com/index.html

Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 02-10-2007, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i have. it is pretty good, nice that it comes in glass. i haven't fully researched the all grass fed-ness of it though. i had once called the farm, but should really follow up.
i get my milk from stonewall dairy (cornwall, ct... i think), it is delivered to a local hfs. i have met the farmers and the cows
where are you in CT?
#3 of 4 Old 02-10-2007, 09:48 AM

I usually buy Stonewall Dairy milk as well because of the convenience (available at at least 2 local HFSs) but I'm intrigued with what I read on the website you provided. I far prefer the fact that their milk comes in glass bottles. And it looks like their pricing may be a little less ($3 for half gallon=$6/gallon versus $6.99/gallon that I pay for Stonewall Dairy's milk).

It does say on their website that the cows' feed is grown elsewhere with fertilizer though, so I would definitely wonder how much grass they're getting. Have you called them and talked to the farm? I keep meaning to do that with Stonewall Dairy but again, convenience won out and so I haven't so far....

ETA: Here's more info from the website on their feed program at Grassy Hill Dairy:
Quote:
Since crops are not grown here on the farm, we are a buy feed operation. We purchase only the highest quality feed, which is:

* Western alfalfa and grasses
* High quality commodities that are in season, such as corn, soybeans, canola, barley, oats, citrus, and beet
* Our own custom vitamin and mineral mix

All feed is mixed using a TMR (Total Mixed Ration) vertical mixer manufactured by NDE. The TMR is around 70% grass and 30% commodities/vitamins. Our cows are fed fresh food every day and have access to free choice feed at all times. The cattle are also able to eat pasture grass when available. Our customized feed recipe is geared towards maintaining our cows' good health and making the milk taste better.

The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials. ~ Chinese proverb
#4 of 4 Old 02-10-2007, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! I have checked out their website but I haven't called them or been there. I feel a little clueless about dairy still. I liked the website and I liked that they sell in Bethel, CT, which is near me. I live in Putnam County, NY and there's nothing near me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page