Mothering Forum banner

What do I do with these feet???

487 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Metasequoia 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a nice bag of chicken feet and don't know what to do with them!

How do I clean them? They have mud (and poop?) on them, so what do I do to get them ready to put in the stock pot?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I have never had the joys of a pile of chicken feet, but what I would do would be to soak them in cool water for a couple of hours then scrub them under running water with a potato brush until they look and smell clean. Then toss 'em in the stock pot. They'll make a really gelatinous stock, I bet.

#4 ·
You can also boil them for 10 minutes. That makes removing the skin easier.

Last week I was lazy, and didn't do this step. I just threw the feet into the crock pot with all the saved-up veggies and chicken parts. It made a decent broth, but not as good as the time when I made the effort to do the boiling and peeling step. Pretty gross, but it makes awesome broth.

#5 ·
I use feet in my stock all the time... but, uh, I've never gotten them dirty before. So I'm not positive how to go about cleaning them. But if I had to guess, I'd give them a quick boil and then scrub them.

The ones I get have been quickly scalded, with the rest of the bird in the process of plucking. They appear totally clean. They do often have callouses and things on them, but no grime. I sometimes pick off the peeling "alligator skin" but other times I'm too lazy to do that.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tboroson View Post
I use feet in my stock all the time... but, uh, I've never gotten them dirty before. So I'm not positive how to go about cleaning them. But if I had to guess, I'd give them a quick boil and then scrub them.

The ones I get have been quickly scalded, with the rest of the bird in the process of plucking. They appear totally clean. They do often have callouses and things on them, but no grime. I sometimes pick off the peeling "alligator skin" but other times I'm too lazy to do that.
:

I leave the skin on, makes the stock more flavorful (plus, those nails are brutal!) I add about 20 feet & 10 heads to a carcass to make a big ole batch of stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.