The Water Kefir/Kefir Soda Recipes Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2007, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a thread for recipes only! If you'd like to read up more on water kefir, what it is, what is in it, etc., check out this thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=440795

Post your recipes here!
For newbies, and clarity in general, be sure to list ingredients and instructions step-by-step. I think folks can be intimidated by something so new and different and like having the details!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2007, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Here's what JaneS posted on the recipes from EFLF:
Eat Fat Lose Fat has some yummy Kefir Soda recipes. I've just been using the powder packets b/c I think I killed my grains (trying to revive them now).

You add different ingredients to 1 packet of kefir powder or 3/4 cup grains with 1/2 c. rapadura, sucanat or maple sugar to a 2 qt. jar and fill w/ water. Ferment 2 days. Strain. Transfer to fridge. With powder, can use 1/2 c. of previous batch as starter for next about 5-6 times.

Kefir Lemonade
(just made this, it is yummy, kind of like iced tea with a kick)
1 c. fresh lemon juice

Kefir Cream Soda
(brewing now)
1 T. vanilla extract
optional slices of lemon, orange or lime

Kefir Ginger Ale
4 T. coarsely chopped ginger
Juice of 4 limes

Kefir Limeade
1 cup fresh lime juice
several sprigs mint

Old 03-11-2007, 04:19 AM

Ingredients:
2 cans lychees canned in syrup (I like the brands from Thailand and look for the ones with just lychees, water, and sugar; I also liked the brands in the Asian market better than the one at Whole Foods)
2 tbsps water kefir grains
Chlorine free water
  • Place cans of lychees and water kefir grains in a 1/2 gallon jar. Add enough water to fill the jar, leaving about 1/2 to 1 inch of space from the top. (If you leave the lychee liquid undiluted, the soda will be alcoholic instead of tangy.) Cap with a regular plastic or other non-airtight cap.
  • Let ferment at room temperature 1 to 2 days, or to taste. If you want to make a fizzy soda and have airtight bottles, stop brew when it is slightly sweeter than you like it.
  • Scoop out lychees and eat or store in a pyrex bowl, with a bit of the liquid. You can let the lychees go a bit longer at room temperature if you want them more fermented. They will taste slightly tangy, slightly sweet, with a lychee wine flavor, since they start out sweeter than the liquid, they get a bit alcoholic.
  • To make a fizzy drink, when brew is still slightly sweeter than you like it, strain out kefir grains, and decant liquid into EZ cap bottles or other airtight containers. Let brew for a few hours at room temperature in the bottles, and then chill in the fridge. Don't leave in the fridge for more than a couple of days without opening the airtight tops since it will continue to ferment and so much air will build up, you may end up with a mess when you go open the bottle.

You get approximately 26 oz of liquid after scooping out lychees, and using some of the liquid for storing the lychees.

You can half the recipe for a quart sized jar, although you don't get very much soda.

I'm going to try this with canned pineapples next.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else?

Old 03-29-2007, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitlan View Post
Here's what JaneS posted on the recipes from EFLF:
Eat Fat Lose Fat has some yummy Kefir Soda recipes. I've just been using the powder packets b/c I think I killed my grains (trying to revive them now).
Hope it's okay to add how to questions

How do you revive the grains? I got some in the mail but wasn't able to get to them x2 weeks or so. They were in my fridge. A few days ago I tried to make 2 different batches of water kefir and neither turned out.

And just to clairify...you don't heat the water up first to mix with the suger and then cool it down before adding the grains, right?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:53 PM

I would like to try kefiring coconut. I don't have any fresh coconut but I was wondering if I could add a little coconut milk to my water/sugar mixture before adding the grains. Has anyone ever tried that? I figured it might make a nice, mildly coconut flavored water kefir. I'm not too terribly fond of coconut but I do like CO and mildly flavored things. Maybe I'll give it a try and let you know how it turns out. It can't hurt my grains, I hope!

mama to 4 boys, 2 kitties and 42 chickens
Old 07-11-2008, 06:15 PM

Bumping up. I've had my water kefir grains for the last week, but we were on vacation, I had them just sitting in a jar of water while we were gone.
I'm looking forward to making some kefir now that I'm home.

Question, when you put lemon in, do you put in the cut up lemon with the skin on? or juice it first? or??
Old 07-11-2008, 09:55 PM

I added a half of lemon with my water grains and it killed them. I'd suggest adding the lemon juice after you drain.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
Old 07-11-2008, 10:34 PM

There's a lovely GF sourdough bread you can make with apple juice kefir.

User Tag List