Toddler only wants sweet things - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 15 Old 03-12-2007, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
 
msiddiqi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really tried to keep him away from too much sweet food but that's almost the only thing he will eat. I make whatever I give him as nutritious as possible, like almond butter and jelly on sprouted bread, yogurt with fruit and granola, kefir smoothies etc. But it really bothers me how he won't eat like dinner foods or anything that isn't sweet, besides homemade chicken nuggets and eggs (sometimes).
Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas appreciated!
msiddiqi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 15 Old 03-12-2007, 10:14 PM
 
425lisamarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the rain
Posts: 5,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is totally typical. I wouldn't worry about it. You don't NEED to eat tons of veggies and non-sweetish tasting stuff to be healthy. It gets better with age. Just keep offering in a non-threating sort of way. DS is going on 3 and will eat anything that doesn't run from him
425lisamarie is offline  
#3 of 15 Old 03-13-2007, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
 
msiddiqi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am starting to have an aversion for sweet things since seeing him eating it all day I guess there's one advantage to it. I hope DS ends up like yours I've always had problems feeding him.
msiddiqi is offline  
#4 of 15 Old 03-13-2007, 12:28 PM
 
mehndi mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Petoskey, MI
Posts: 2,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This *may* help - try making him things with stevia in it. It's sweet....but after a couple weeks of using it to curb my sugar cravings, I'm not wanting to eat sweet things anywhere near as much!

Maybe add it to his peanut butter, or make whipped cream with it, or add it to butter spread on bread?
mehndi mama is offline  
#5 of 15 Old 03-13-2007, 12:39 PM
 
425lisamarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the rain
Posts: 5,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehndi mama View Post
This *may* help - try making him things with stevia in it. It's sweet....but after a couple weeks of using it to curb my sugar cravings, I'm not wanting to eat sweet things anywhere near as much!

Maybe add it to his peanut butter, or make whipped cream with it, or add it to butter spread on bread?
that's a good point. If it's just the natural sugar in things I think it's fine to crave that. But I'm convinced a certain amount of sugar is like a drug, you just can't stop it in some people until you detox

DH is like this, he cna't stop. He went off processed sugar completely for a while and stopped craving it.
425lisamarie is offline  
#6 of 15 Old 03-13-2007, 12:44 PM
 
mehndi mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Petoskey, MI
Posts: 2,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm like that, too - to the point where even cutting out refined sugars didn't even do the trick. I have to limit my carbs - I only get 3 slices of good bread a day, and a piece of fruit no more often than every 4 hours. It was HELL the first 2 weeks, which is why I relied on the stevia so much. But sure enough, after 21-ish days without it, I stopped craving sweet things so much.
mehndi mama is offline  
#7 of 15 Old 03-13-2007, 12:53 PM
 
honeybunmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,750
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I guess I don't really understand. In our home, I'm the parent who purchases and prepares and offers the food. So, since sweets are not generally available or presented, dc has to adjust. Dc won't starve himself. He'll ultimately eat what you present to him. What types of sweets is he eating that is causing you concern? Is it a penchant for fruit or sweet veggies like carrots and peas . . . or cookies, cakes and the like?

Our dd has discovered M&M's - well we introduced her And we each had a different hiding spot and she outed mine to dh and his to me! From time to time, she'll give the more sign and take me to the hiding places and continue to sign for more and I just tell her there aren't any. They're all gone. And then I offer her something else. If she throws a fit, too bad. But, generally she doesn't. I'll show her that the ice bucket is empty, and she'll accept that there are none.

Elisa

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
honeybunmom is offline  
#8 of 15 Old 03-13-2007, 12:59 PM
 
425lisamarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the rain
Posts: 5,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunmom View Post
I guess I don't really understand. In our home, I'm the parent who purchases and prepares and offers the food. So, since sweets are not generally available or presented, dc has to adjust. Dc won't starve himself. He'll ultimately eat what you present to him. What types of sweets is he eating that is causing you concern? Is it a penchant for fruit or sweet veggies like carrots and peas . . . or cookies, cakes and the like?

Our dd has discovered M&M's - well we introduced her And we each had a different hiding spot and she outed mine to dh and his to me! From time to time, she'll give the more sign and take me to the hiding places and continue to sign for more and I just tell her there aren't any. They're all gone. And then I offer her something else. If she throws a fit, too bad. But, generally she doesn't. I'll show her that the ice bucket is empty, and she'll accept that there are none.


Elisa
What are you having a hard time understanding? People like sweets. It's typical sometimes. Good for you for 100% control over what the people in your house eat
425lisamarie is offline  
#9 of 15 Old 03-13-2007, 01:02 PM
 
momuveight2B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like a normal eating jag. If he eats all the other foods you describe then he is actually eating a lot of variety and getting what he needs.

Breastmilk is naturally sweet and you can't offer too much of that.

As long as these are foods you are preparing and not twinkies and ho-hos I wouldn't worry at all. When he is ready he will expand his diet and eat the other foods you offer.
momuveight2B is offline  
#10 of 15 Old 03-13-2007, 01:03 PM
 
honeybunmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,750
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
What are you having a hard time understanding? People like sweets. It's typical sometimes. Good for you for 100% control over what the people in your house eat
I certainly did not mean to offend. I don't understand whether it's cakes and candies - as I plainly wrote - or sweet healthy foods like carrots, raisins, etc. Hopefully, I made it clearer.

And as I do not have an older child, mine is just 16 mos, and have not yet encountered those challenges, I do not understand. What I've done in our home so far has worked for us. Maybe it won't as she gets older. At this stage I can and do control what she eats. Now dh, he's a whole different story!

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
honeybunmom is offline  
#11 of 15 Old 03-13-2007, 01:14 PM
 
momuveight2B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do have older kids as well as little ones. Dh and I do the shopping and decide what is in the cupboards and we are responsible to teach good eating habits at home. We just hope that as they get older and have more choices that the early habits we established will keep them on track.
It is really important to teach good habits early and the foods we learn to like as toddlers will influence our choices as we get older. My kids try things elsewhere and then come home and complain that the food has too much fat, salt, chemicals and so on. They do try the other foods but their taste buds have been shaped early on to reject unhealthy foods.
There is a big difference between the child who loves the healthy sweetness of breastmilk, whole fruits and vegetables and the child who has been taught to prefer foods like twinkies.
momuveight2B is offline  
#12 of 15 Old 03-13-2007, 01:16 PM
 
ayme371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: on my side of the mountain~southeast, PA
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
My ds just turned 3 and is going through some major food challenges. That is, it is pretty much a challenge to get him to eat anything at all. I really try to limit the candy that is around but some days he will start asking for cnady first thing in the morning. Don't know where it is coming from. Wish I had some advice but we are experiencing some of he same issues.
ayme371 is offline  
#13 of 15 Old 03-13-2007, 02:30 PM
 
oyemicanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: in a mess
Posts: 1,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayme371 View Post
My ds just turned 3 and is going through some major food challenges. That is, it is pretty much a challenge to get him to eat anything at all.
Same issue here - DS has been like this for close to 8 months (he's 3 and 4 months) and there are days when I could tear my hair out. He only wants sweets - yogurt, bread with jam, ice cream, apples and bananas, basically anything sweet. Occasionally he might shock me and eat a piece of tomato or green pepper but that seem so be pretty rare lately. Hopefully he will grow out of this stage soon.

DD (5) went through this stage, although not nearly as intense and now she has a much more varied diet, so I am hoping it turns around for DS sometime soon.
oyemicanto is offline  
#14 of 15 Old 03-13-2007, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
 
msiddiqi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunmom View Post
I guess I don't really understand. In our home, I'm the parent who purchases and prepares and offers the food. So, since sweets are not generally available or presented, dc has to adjust. Dc won't starve himself. He'll ultimately eat what you present to him. What types of sweets is he eating that is causing you concern? Is it a penchant for fruit or sweet veggies like carrots and peas . . . or cookies, cakes and the like?
We don't keep junk food in the house it all. It's, I guess, what you can call healthy sweet food. We do have maple syrup and raw honey at home. I just want him to get some veggies etc too. The veggies you mentioned (carrots and peas) are the only ones he'll eat.

Like I said in my OP, I try to make it as healthy as possible. He has to have his yogurt sweet, but I give him 24 hour yogurt. Same with kefir, he gets smoothies. Almond butter has to have some jam on it etc...

I don't mind him having some, we all do in my home. But I just worry if it's too much when almost his every meal is sweet-oriented.

I'm going to try out the stevia thing. I do feel like he's a bit addicted to sugar because I have gone through that too and the only way I was able to get over it was to cut out a lot and eat more fat. I do try to give him a lot of good fats etc... Or maybe like you said 425lisamarie... he might just need to grow out it. I'm not exactly sure though where it might be an actual problem.
msiddiqi is offline  
#15 of 15 Old 03-13-2007, 05:31 PM
 
honeybunmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,750
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msiddiqi View Post
We don't keep junk food in the house it all. It's, I guess, what you can call healthy sweet food. We do have maple syrup and raw honey at home. I just want him to get some veggies etc too. The veggies you mentioned (carrots and peas) are the only ones he'll eat.

Like I said in my OP, I try to make it as healthy as possible. He has to have his yogurt sweet, but I give him 24 hour yogurt. Same with kefir, he gets smoothies. Almond butter has to have some jam on it etc...

I don't mind him having some, we all do in my home. But I just worry if it's too much when almost his every meal is sweet-oriented.

I'm going to try out the stevia thing. I do feel like he's a bit addicted to sugar because I have gone through that too and the only way I was able to get over it was to cut out a lot and eat more fat. I do try to give him a lot of good fats etc... Or maybe like you said 425lisamarie... he might just need to grow out it. I'm not exactly sure though where it might be an actual problem.
Thanks for explaining, mama. I guess on the good fat front, you could try avocado if you haven't already. Unfortunately, my dd is not a fan. For us, I've found dd is a bit better of an eater when her protein intake is stable. She'll happily snack on edamame and I'll offer peanutbutter on celery and put 2 or 3 raisins in it (she'll eat it without the raisins, too). Having been hypoglycemic myself for many years and totally cutting out sweets, I found that keeping slow burning carbohydrates and proteins in my system kept the cravings away, too. Perhaps you can shift/reduce his cravings by slowing offering reduced amounts of the nutritious sweets with his meals to give his body an opportunity to get back in balance and simultaneously get the proportions to a level with which you are more comfortable. That way he doesn't suddenly feel deprived, his palate is satiated and you're steadily moving from point A to point B.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
honeybunmom is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off