Is there a food cure for mastitis? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-22-2007, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am definitely coming down with a bad case of "run over by a Mack truck" mastitis. Besides staying in bed and nursing lots, does anyone have any miracle food cures for an infection like this?
Anyone? Please? :

mama to 4 boys, 2 kitties and 42 chickens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2007, 08:44 PM

Sorry to hear that--sounds awful!!! I used homeopathy, but I'm not much help diagnosing--I used my homeopath's recommendation.

Lecithin is often recommended to prevent plugged ducts...I seem to remember reading that eggs have lots of this. Not sure though...sorry!

Would something herbal help, like oil of oregano, echinacea, etc.? Just brainstorming...along the lines of if traditiomal treatment is antibiotics, maybe immune system boosters would help.

What I've done for plugged ducts is use a comb with soap on it to try to help unblock them (going from outside of breast to inside)...but I can't remember if you're supposed to do this sort of thing for mastitis...maybe someone else will know? Also warm wet compresses and/or breast hanging into very warm water. When nursing, see if you can point your nursling's chin towards the plugged duct and do an asymmetrical latch...it can lead to some pretty silly nursing positions but can help. Also if you can, try nursing with breast dangling down from above, so you have gravity helping you.

I hope you feel better soon!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 09:55 PM

The only thing I've ever heard being successful is garlic garlic garlic! I mean, downing cloves and cloves of it!

I couldn't do it, and got so sick and went on antibiotics to get rid of mine.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:46 PM

I second the garlic. Take raw cloves, chopped them slightly and swallow like a pill.

Homeopathic phytolacca.

Poke (Phytolacca americana) oil massaged into the affected breast. Be cautious with this as it is toxic if ingested. So, DO NOT apply right before a feeding, and wash your breast prior to nursing.

Best of luck, PM if you need more advice.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:55 PM

[QUOTE=snugglebug14;7630127]I second the garlic. Take raw cloves, chopped them slightly and swallow like a pill.

Homeopathic phytolacca.

I just wanted to second Phytolacca- works like a charm!

Homemade Chicken Soup is my standby cure-all! (with lots of garlic)

Sending Healing Blessings,

~Traci, wife to DH 4-88. Mom to 3 homebirthed sons, 22,20&17

The Blue Door Farmhouse & traci.mymomentis.biz

Old 03-23-2007, 01:11 AM

Do cabbage compresses count as food? A friend of mine had terrible case of mastitis and went through several heads of cabbage in a few days and it seemed to help. She'd mash them up a little bit so the cabbage juice could get to her skin.

Also, I would say plenty of liquids and something to support supply like oatmeal or quinoa.

Feel better soon!
Old 03-23-2007, 01:18 AM

Make a tea of raw apple cider vinegar (1 tablespoon), raw honey (1 tablespoon) and warm water (just warm enough to melt the honey). Drink this 3 times a day. Or, you can first boil a few cloves of garlic in about a pint of water, cool and strain. Add 3-4 tablespoons ACV, the same in raw honey, and the juice of a lemon. Sip throughout the day. Repeat until you feel better.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 03-23-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglebug14 View Post
Poke (Phytolacca americana) oil massaged into the affected breast. Be cautious with this as it is toxic if ingested. So, DO NOT apply right before a feeding, and wash your breast prior to nursing.
I have had some horrible bouts. I take poke root tincture. It will make you vomit if you ingest too much, but it is self-regulating that way! But I take it in juice or tea AND mix it with oil to massage it on my breast. Warm, wet compresses and massage, too, of course. My midwife is also an herbalist and this is what she has me do when I have it and prophylactically when my milk comes in b/c I'm so susceptible.

I also take lecithin in a drink when I feel a duct plugging up.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Old 03-23-2007, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Cayenne pepper. DH has "cured" the two bouts of mastitis I had with cayenne, I took it in juice. However, I would recommend mega doses of sodium ascorbate to bowel tolerance. I would do 1g an hour until you get gas/watery stools then cut back.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 03-23-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitlan View Post
I have had some horrible bouts. I take poke root tincture. It will make you vomit if you ingest too much, but it is self-regulating that way! But I take it in juice or tea AND mix it with oil to massage it on my breast. Warm, wet compresses and massage, too, of course. My midwife is also an herbalist and this is what she has me do when I have it and prophylactically when my milk comes in b/c I'm so susceptible.

I also take lecithin in a drink when I feel a duct plugging up.
if you are under the advice of a trained herbalist, poke tincture is okay to take internally. but, i caution people against self prescribing it since it is easily toxic.

out of cuiosity, what is the dose of poke tincture you are taking?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglebug14 View Post
if you are under the advice of a trained herbalist, poke tincture is okay to take internally. but, i caution people against self prescribing it since it is easily toxic.

out of cuiosity, what is the dose of poke tincture you are taking?
The tincture is not one she makes, so we're not sure how much is in it. It says it's combined with echinacea and suggests 1 tsp. a few times a day, I think. I take more. Since it's hard to get some places, the places you can get it seem to dilute for fear of people taking too much. How much I take depends on my situation. When my milk comes in I take the suggested amount. When I am having problems, more. But I don't know exactly b/c I haven't had a bout yet with my newest babe! My last bout was 2+ years ago, thank God!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Old 03-24-2007, 11:13 PM

homeopathic phytolacca took me from a mastitis fever of 103-104 to shakey but fine in a few hours - worth a try!
Old 03-25-2007, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero View Post
I am definitely coming down with a bad case of "run over by a Mack truck" mastitis. Besides staying in bed and nursing lots, does anyone have any miracle food cures for an infection like this?
Anyone? Please? :
Are you feeling better today?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 03-25-2007, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for asking. I sweated it out! That night I was so chilled from the fever so I loaded up with a few blankets and the nursling and went to bed. I woke up in the middle of the night all sweaty but the fever broke and the aches were gone in the morning. I still have a tiny bit of tenderness where the blockage must have been but have not really felt bad otherwise.
Thanks everyone for the tricks. I'll keep them handy!

mama to 4 boys, 2 kitties and 42 chickens

User Tag List