"THE MAGIC INGREDIENT" Vitamin K2 article by Nina Planck - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-21-2007, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Here's some info. for those who don't subscribe to Wise Traditions, which has a great vitamin K2 article by Chris Masterjohn. It'll probably be up on the WAPF site soon.

In 1945, Dr. Weston Price, the pioneer of nutritional epidemiology, published a revised edition of his masterwork, Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, including a new chapter called “A New Vitamin-Like Activator.” Price described his experiments with a fat-soluble substance vital to healthy bones and teeth found in the butter of cows raised on grass. The grass-fed butter was remarkably effective in curing a number of chronic conditions, and even more powerful when combined with cod liver oil. Price called the magic ingredient Activator X.

Some 60 years later, researchers have identified Activator X. It is vitamin K2, a fat-soluble vitamin essential for optimal dental and skeletal health. Vitamin K2 has a very interesting role: it puts calcium where it belongs (in the bones and teeth) and keeps it away from the places it doesn’t belong, such as the arteries, where plaques calcify. Vitamin K2 is essential for healthy development and growth in children. Its effects are subtle: though K2 is necessary for bone density, it also prevents premature calcification of the cartilaginous parts of bones, the softer parts which allows your baby’s bones to grow.

Vitamin K2 can be made in the body from vitamin K1, which is found in green vegetables, but ideally your diet will contain ample sources of K2 itself. Get your K2 from the butter, organ meats, and fat of animals raised on grass. A reliable sign of K2 is the rich yellow color of butter from cows on grass; K2’s precursor is related to beta carotene.

Now we know what Price could only surmise: why traditional people went to so much trouble to get these ‘high vitamin’ foods, as Price called them.

K2 is an interesting fellow among vitamins. K2 is made in your reproductive organs. Sperm contains a protein that relies on K2. There is more K2 in your brain and saliva (where it protects you from tooth decay) than anywhere else. K2 deficiency (good name for a band) causes fatigue in lab animals. K2 prevents heart disease by preventing inflammation and calcification of the arteries.

Do you need more K2? If you’re vegan or vegetarian or trying to conceive, you probably do. Recall that Price found the combination of cod liver oil and K2 butter powerfully effective. That’s because cod liver oil is rich in vitamins A and D, which have several synergetic relationships with K2. In plain language, that means A, D, and K2 work together to build bones, among other vital tasks.

If it’s bone health you’re after, consider one more virtue of traditional diets: saturated fat. You need saturated fats to lay down minerals (such as calcium) in your bones. Studies show that polyunsaturated fats (soybean oil) ‘depress’ mineralization while saturated fats (butter and palm oil) ‘stimulate’ bone density. That’s why I don’t drink skim milk and cannot recommend it, especially for women who are concerned about osteoporosis.

If you’re worried about the effects of natural saturated fats on your heart, fear not. The net effect of these traditional fats, such as butter, is to raise HDL. On the virtues of HDL, the National Cholesterol Education Program is clear: ‘the higher, the better.’ Recent studies even show that LDL is not the villain either, but a repair molecule sent to damaged arteries to repair them.

You might instead choose to avoid the new, ‘trans fat-free’ non-butter, vegetable-oil based ‘buttery’ spreads. (I grimace as I type the hype.) Now that trans-fats are known killers, Big Food brings you a new process for making industrial soy bean oil spreadable, because they know how much you want your butter.

How do they do it? By scrambling the fatty acids in a process called interesterification. It appears we won’t have to wait 60 years to discover that these fats are not good for you. In a recent study by K.C. Hayes, interesterified fats lowered HDL (that’s bad), depressed insulin (that’s bad), and raised blood sugar (also bad). Compared to what? Good question. Compared to palm oil—yes, the highly saturated tropical fat they taught you to fear.

Remember the rule: if your great-grandmother ate it, it’s probably OK. I know what you're thinking. My great-grandmothers in Sweden and Bohemia and Germany and England didn't eat palm oil, either. But you know what I mean.

Best wishes, Nina
www.NinaPlanck.com

(Thanks to Chris Masterjohn, writing in the Spring 2007 issue of Wise Traditions, the journal of the Weston A. Price Foundation, for the new information on vitamin K2. For more on saturated fats and bone density, see the chapter called ‘Food Lipids and Bone Health,’ by Watkins and Seifert, in Food Lipids and Health, published by Marcel Dekker 1996.)

#2 of 21 Old 04-21-2007, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's very interesting, thanks for the info!
#3 of 21 Old 04-22-2007, 12:01 AM

Ahh..cool, I don't recall hearing that 'Activator X' has a name now. Does anyone know if it is in good quality egg yolks at all?
#4 of 21 Old 04-22-2007, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopazBlueMama View Post
Ahh..cool, I don't recall hearing that 'Activator X' has a name now. Does anyone know if it is in good quality egg yolks at all?
Yes it is. According to the vitamin K2 article Chris Masterjohn wrote, an egg yolk contains 32.1 (MCG/100G).

#5 of 21 Old 04-22-2007, 01:21 PM

So, my free range eggs cooked in raw butter with bacon from pastured pigs is a super healthy, activator x rich breakfast! I think I'll celebrate with a bacon and egg sandwich! YUM!

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#6 of 21 Old 04-23-2007, 05:34 AM

Is there a difference in bioavailability in cooked vs raw K2-rich foods?

In the article it says "Recall that Price found the combination of cod liver oil and K2 butter powerfully effective. That’s because cod liver oil is rich in vitamins A and D, which have several synergetic relationships with K2. In plain language, that means A, D, and K2 work together to build bones, among other vital tasks."
This is confusing to me. In my mind, there must be something else in CLO that contributes to the *synergetic* qualities with butter oil, because high-vitamin butter is rich in A and D as well. So why need the extra in CLO, when K2 has plenty of it in the butter to work efficiently? Am I missing something?
#7 of 21 Old 04-23-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmamma View Post
Is there a difference in bioavailability in cooked vs raw K2-rich foods?

In the article it says "Recall that Price found the combination of cod liver oil and K2 butter powerfully effective. That’s because cod liver oil is rich in vitamins A and D, which have several synergetic relationships with K2. In plain language, that means A, D, and K2 work together to build bones, among other vital tasks."
This is confusing to me. In my mind, there must be something else in CLO that contributes to the *synergetic* qualities with butter oil, because high-vitamin butter is rich in A and D as well. So why need the extra in CLO, when K2 has plenty of it in the butter to work efficiently? Am I missing something?
I'm guessing that Price found the combination effective because people needed more A & D than what butter (or butter oil) alone could provide.
#8 of 21 Old 04-23-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicharronita View Post
Yes it is. According to the vitamin K2 article Chris Masterjohn wrote, an egg yolk contains 32.1 (MCG/100G).
It depends on the egg...it was eggs from the Netherlands that contained this amount, while US eggs contained less than half as much. I'm sure it depends on whether the chickens were pastured, and the type of soil, etc.
#9 of 21 Old 04-23-2007, 10:45 AM

Jarrow makes a natural (natto-derived) K2 supplement that you can get for around $15 at www.iherb.com ...much cheaper than butter oil for those on a budget.
#10 of 21 Old 05-18-2007, 09:48 PM

The type in natto is different than the type in butter oil (MK7 vs. MK4). It is not known if they are interchangeable or one is more effective than other.

MK7 types of K2: sauerkraut, cheese, natto... produced by bacterial fermentation.
MK4 types: grass fed dairy, liver and other organ meats, egg yolks, breastmilk in which K2 is synthesized by animal tissues.

Another need for K2 could be allergies. I stumbled upon this today and it is very interesting to me. I wonder if that is why my hay fever disappeared on raw milk kefir, not only the good bacteria in kefir but also the K2 in raw milk maybe? I haven't had time to research the immune system and K2, there is not much at first glance.

Quote:
Although there is little research on the mechanism by which vitamin K may be involved in protecting against allergic responses, one double-blind placebo-controlled study published in 1975 found treatment with vitamin K2 supplementation to relieve asthmatic symptoms in 90 percent of mild cases, 87 percent of moderate cases, and 73 percent of severe cases.43
http://www.westonaprice.org/children...-d-safety.html
#11 of 21 Old 05-18-2007, 09:58 PM

Hmm...maybe the K2 in the ghee we're eating will help my DD's food intolerances go away! It's definitely making an impact on her as her baby teeth, which came in quite crooked and crowded, are straightening out and spacing out since I started giving her ghee.
#12 of 21 Old 05-19-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
...her baby teeth, which came in quite crooked and crowded, are straightening out and spacing out since I started giving her ghee.
WOW!!!! That is supercool, Caedmyn!

We're officially TTC!!!

I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
#13 of 21 Old 05-19-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Another need for K2 could be allergies. I stumbled upon this today and it is very interesting to me. I wonder if that is why my hay fever disappeared on raw milk kefir, not only the good bacteria in kefir but also the K2 in raw milk maybe? I haven't had time to research the immune system and K2, there is not much at first glance.
I started drinking raw goats milk about a month ago and my severe allergic asthma is gone. I mean, I have had it SO bad my entire life... and now its just simply gone. I am truly dumb founded and amazed.
#14 of 21 Old 05-19-2007, 09:26 PM

I'm going to need to find an alternative for K2 in my household since milk/dairy has been banished (allergies). I noticed that the fermented CLO listed on the greenpasture site has K2, but I bet it's the "other" K2 that JaneS mentioned - the one in fermented foods.
#15 of 21 Old 05-19-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtosimon View Post
I started drinking raw goats milk about a month ago and my severe allergic asthma is gone. I mean, I have had it SO bad my entire life... and now its just simply gone. I am truly dumb founded and amazed.
You should provide a testimony to www.westonaprice.org!
#16 of 21 Old 05-19-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigknitwit View Post
I'm going to need to find an alternative for K2 in my household since milk/dairy has been banished (allergies). I noticed that the fermented CLO listed on the greenpasture site has K2, but I bet it's the "other" K2 that JaneS mentioned - the one in fermented foods.
Might be. If you write to them to find out, let us know.

How about lots of pastured egg yolks? Liver? There was an interesting collection of recipes Sally Fallon did in the current newsletter too, cooking to hide "mystery meat" (ground organs).
#17 of 21 Old 05-20-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
How about lots of pastured egg yolks? Liver? There was an interesting collection of recipes Sally Fallon did in the current newsletter too, cooking to hide "mystery meat" (ground organs).
No eggs either. No dairy, no eggs, no wheat (no life lol!). I am starting to think I need to figure out how to prepare liver so myself and my children will eat it. I've never made it before (or eaten it - gasp!).
#18 of 21 Old 06-17-2007, 11:18 AM

Subscribing to this fascinating thread.

Naomi, Just finished a transformation
#19 of 21 Old 06-18-2007, 12:08 AM

I haven't read Wise Traditions recently, but here's an article that lists a bunch of foods that contain "Activator X." Some of them are more appetizing than others...

----

Why I'm in Awe of Butter Oil

(....)

Dr. Price noted that all the primitive diets he studied in depth contained large quantities of Activator X, but that only a few sources contained any meaningful quantity of it. All of them were of animal origin:

Oily fish, like salmon, sardines, herring, mackerel and anchovies;

Fish eggs; fish liver oils; shellfish;

Organ meats of ruminant animals raised outdoors and on pasture: liver, kidneys, brains, hearts etc. of reindeer, water buffalo, deer, camels, sheep, goats, cows, etc;

The fat of poultry and pigs raised outside and on pasture;

Certain insects;

The blubber of sea animals;

Egg yolks; and the

Butterfat from the milk of cows when -- and only when -- they were eating rapidly-growing green grass, which in most places meant only in the spring and fall of the year.
#20 of 21 Old 06-18-2007, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

I just now finished reading Chris Masterjohn's K2 article. I'm feeling a bit :

#21 of 21 Old 06-18-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Might be. If you write to them to find out, let us know.

Are any of them any good?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page