Fresh, raw goat milk! WoW! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been drinking fresh, raw cow's milk for about 4 months and enjoy it, but yesterday my goat milk share started, and I tried a glass of it when I got home, and then another glass, and then a little later another glass, and then made myself stop and wait to have more today! Wow! It is so delicious! I've had goat's milk before, pasteurized from the store, and thought it was "goaty" tasting and unpleasant, so I'm shocked at how yummy this stuff is. I find it addictive like ice cream. Weird!

Think anyone would notice if I stuck a goat in my backyard??? Maybe it could help with my lawn mowing burden too! (That technically would benefit the subdivision, right?)
#2 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 01:44 PM

It's hard to convince people, but I've told many, many people how different fresh goat milk is from the stuff they've tried at the store. I even gave some to goat-milk-resistent dh and he had no idea it was from a goat!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#3 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 02:29 PM

That's cool! I've never tried goat's milk. How does the taste of raw goat's milk compare to the taste of raw cow's milk?

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#4 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 02:48 PM

wow, really? I hate the goats milk from the store, yuck! Im gonna try raw goats milk now for sure.
#5 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 02:49 PM

It's gotta be REALLY fresh. It does turn goaty after five days or so. As for taste, it's similar. Only it's naturally homogonized, so no cream floating around. Which is good for dd2, who doesn't care for globs of cream when she drinks.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#6 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

I think the goat's milk seems maybe a bit sweeter than the cow's milk. It definitely looks different. It's very consistent, no separation and mine is very white compared to my cow's milk. Now that the grass is green here, my cow's milk is dark - the cream has definite yellowish color and the rest of it sometimes has a slight green tinge to it. The butter made from it is dark yellow now. I'm very happy with my cow's milk, but the goat's milk tasted like a treat.
#7 of 12 Old 04-25-2007, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I love raw goat's milk, but unfortunately the person who supplied me has retired from keeping goats. She only had a few, and she treated them like pets. The milk was so wonderful! There are other farmers in my area who keep goats, but the milk quality isn't as good as hers was. It was definitely better-tasting than cow's milk—creamier.

I've got someone new giving me raw cow's milk, and while it's sweeter than the Organic Pastures milk I get from the HFS, it doesn't have nearly enough fat. Hopefully that will change now that it's spring.

#8 of 12 Old 04-26-2007, 11:15 PM

I guess we are fortunate in one way and unfortunate in another. It is illegal in NC to buy/sell goats milk. So that really sucks! BUT, we have goats just for that reason. We have 7 Nigerian Dwarfs whose butterfat is double that of the French Alpine & much sweeter tasting, but the Alpine puts out more. We have one Alpine as well and looking for a Nubian. If you can ever get your hands on unpast. goats milk then you can freeze it for up to a year. It takes the same when it thaws as it did fresh. It does turn a yellow color once frozen but returns to it's normal color once thawed.
#9 of 12 Old 05-04-2007, 03:57 PM

Hi Folks,

We raise purebred Swiss Oberhasli dairy goats. They're a somewhat rare breed, and are known for 2 main things: Sweet Milk, and Sweet Temperament. I've talked to several people who have said they tried goat milk and hated it. Of course, the average american is going to say that even if they've never tried it. But, I've really shocked some folks by letting them try our fresh (raw!) Oberhasli milk. There are, of course, other things that effect the taste of the milk (handling, rapid cooling, etc.) But, we're just sold on the super sweet, mild (never 'goaty') taste of our Oberhasli Milk. I'm actually the president of the Oberhasli Breeders of America, so I guess I'm a little prejudiced, too! I'm working on some slogans and promotional material that focus on the great taste of Oberhasli milk. Boy, I'd love to get the whole country drinking raw goat milk.....and off all those pills!!!

-Bob
#10 of 12 Old 05-04-2007, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for sharing Bob. I've never heard of that breed but will definitely do some research on it now that you've shared how tasty it is. I know I'm going to get some goats soon and have been leaning towards Nigerian Dwarfs like angelamclamb said she has because I hear they are small and easy to transport and have great milk.
#11 of 12 Old 05-04-2007, 04:59 PM

Hi New Mom,

I have heard that Nigerian Dwarf milk is excellent as well! There's a lady who lives near me that raises one of the top N.D. herds in the country. She participated with our farm in ADGA Linear Appraisal last year, and will again this year. The judge said that they were the nicest N.D. he'd ever seen. Her goats got really high scores. They sure were cute little dickens! Best of luck! Just whatever you do...get some raw goat milk! It's one of nature's "perfect foods". Did you know that you can actually LIVE on raw goat milk alone?!?!

-Bob (Proverbs 27:27)
#12 of 12 Old 05-04-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkwheats View Post
Hi Folks,

We raise purebred Swiss Oberhasli dairy goats. They're a somewhat rare breed, and are known for 2 main things: Sweet Milk, and Sweet Temperament. I've talked to several people who have said they tried goat milk and hated it. Of course, the average american is going to say that even if they've never tried it. But, I've really shocked some folks by letting them try our fresh (raw!) Oberhasli milk. There are, of course, other things that effect the taste of the milk (handling, rapid cooling, etc.) But, we're just sold on the super sweet, mild (never 'goaty') taste of our Oberhasli Milk. I'm actually the president of the Oberhasli Breeders of America, so I guess I'm a little prejudiced, too! I'm working on some slogans and promotional material that focus on the great taste of Oberhasli milk. Boy, I'd love to get the whole country drinking raw goat milk.....and off all those pills!!!

-Bob
Bob, since you're the president of the Oberhali Breeders of America, would you know of anyone in the SF area of California who has some? I'm desperately looking for raw goat milk, and it is very hard to find any here. The downside to the legalization of raw milk (cow's) is that the regulations don't allow small producers to sell to customers... thus no goat milk! My only chance is to find someone who has a few for their own personal use and wants to sell the extra on the side. Someone who wouldn't have to worry about losing their livelihood by selling raw. Someone under the radar. When I called the WAPF chapter leaders looking for raw goat milk, you would have thought I was asking about buying drugs they were so careful! Actually, people would probably be more relaxed if I called looking for a source of marijuana!

I'm allergic to cows milk, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

Kristen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page