Any mama's looking to TTC in the next 6-12 months and eating NT/TF??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 187 Old 05-06-2007, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*It's been two years since I started this thread... update in #185*

May 2009 posts start with #181

Well I have baby fever and I am trying to get farther "into" NT and TF.

I am trying to tell my hormonal mind to WAIT at least 6 months and I want to be healthier and see if that helps with morning sickness at all.

Just wanting to know if there are any other mama's in the same boat???

Resistance is futile Matey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 187 Old 05-06-2007, 01:43 PM

Me me me!!! Actually this summer, so more like 3 months. I think. Well, we're still praying about that.

There were some good replies on this thread about TTC:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=664221
#3 of 187 Old 05-06-2007, 02:08 PM

Me!

We're going to start trying in September. I'm interested to see how my pregancy is different this time, since I am now moving towards traditional foods--and the last time I got pregnant I was essentially vegan.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#4 of 187 Old 05-06-2007, 05:53 PM

me too me too. I want to be really healthy before we even attempt.
#5 of 187 Old 05-07-2007, 12:41 AM

Count me in!
#6 of 187 Old 05-07-2007, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
Me me me!!! Actually this summer, so more like 3 months. I think. Well, we're still praying about that.

There were some good replies on this thread about TTC:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=664221
Us too! I am hoping for July-ish I have been eating TF for over a year so far.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#7 of 187 Old 05-07-2007, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
me too! Although I'm still waiting for AF Ds is 16 months & no sign yet. So...it could be a while....

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#8 of 187 Old 05-07-2007, 03:43 PM

I"m not TTC probably ever again, but I can tell you that my diet last time made me feel so great. I gained a ton of weight but that is normal for me. We have always ate a traditional sort of diet, but my first pregnancy I really gave in to my horrible cravings and did not do so good. I felt like a million bucks last time, and after I recovered very quickly paying close attention to specific foods.

Best wishes mamas
#9 of 187 Old 05-07-2007, 05:17 PM

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#10 of 187 Old 05-07-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose_lee View Post
me too! Although I'm still waiting for AF Ds is 16 months & no sign yet. So...it could be a while....
Same boat here, DD is 14 months. Wondering how the next one will go.....vegetarian for the first one and it went really well. But I felt really drained by the end, and don't think I healed well from the CS as a result, so gonna try TF this time around. Already noticing that the incision looks more healed, so, go me.
#11 of 187 Old 05-07-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
I"m not TTC probably ever again, but I can tell you that my diet last time made me feel so great. I gained a ton of weight but that is normal for me. We have always ate a traditional sort of diet, but my first pregnancy I really gave in to my horrible cravings and did not do so good. I felt like a million bucks last time, and after I recovered very quickly paying close attention to specific foods.

Best wishes mamas
Can I ask which foods you paid close attention to that helped you feel so good?

#12 of 187 Old 05-07-2007, 07:24 PM

We will be TTC in August and I started eating NT about two months ago. However, the transition has been slow! I have celiac disease, so I am even more limited in what I can eat.

Our biggest changes have been:
* organic free range meat (Expensive, but worth it!)
* organic free range eggs
* daily doses of Cod Liver Oil
* trashing our Canola and bringing in old fashioned Butter
* raw cheeses/ non-homogenized yogurts
* quitting Gatorade! (We are runners and it was tough giving up our old standby!)
* raw honey (and deleting sugar from our household!)
* dumping all our processed/frozen/boxed foods

Those were the biggies! I still have yet to try raw milk, but I'm thinking about it!
#13 of 187 Old 05-07-2007, 07:57 PM

not ttc, since i'm preg, but wanting to say go mamas! i switched to a tf diet about 8mo before conceiving and i would say my preg this time is easier than last time. my first preg was pretty good too, not much m/s. but i feel even better this time, and my preg acne is way better this time too. i got anemic right at the end last time, we'll see how that goes this time but i don't anticipate it happening again. not having sugar cravings as much either. and even when i do i'm going for raw icecream and dark chocolate.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#14 of 187 Old 05-07-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force View Post

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#15 of 187 Old 05-08-2007, 03:45 PM

It's so good to see you all taking the time to build yourselves up before TTC! Yay!

I'm 21 weeks PG and ate NT foods for several years before I was married, and I can share the following:
We conceived this baby the second month TTC. I may have had a very early loss the first month, due to uncorrected mild hypothyroid or just a bum egg. But of course I could have imagined those very early symptoms. In any case, I am glad that I insisted on thyroid medication, because who knows how many months that could have gone on?
Everything is great right now - feeling great, on track for weight gain, ultrasound was excellent, no unpleasant symptoms.
I DID have morning sickness weeks 8-15 or so, and the best thing that helped me through it was to eat CRAZY amounts of high protein foods. For me this meant eating almost every hour because I'd be sick if I didn't. Yogurt first thing in the morning, followed by three eggs and a piece of toast. I'd hold my breath and choke down cod liver oil with my egg and toast meal. I'd snack on almonds or cheese slices or drinkable yogurt throughout the day, and literally made myself a (grassfed!) largish cheeseburger right before bed!! (Which was often not the first burger of the day!) I gained 17 pounds in my first trimester, but only 2 in the past month because I've finally been able to experience hunger as something other than misery. Now it's just hunger again - what a delight! SO as far as avoiding morning sickness, I advise shameless protein consumption, especially because as NT foodies, you won't be getting it from something "off-balance", like lowfat dairy or soy products. I took Vit B-6 during the first trimester, and it may have helped. I wasn't yet milking my cow, and since I started drinking her milk last month, there's definitely more color on my cheeks and I feel more "balanced", but it's hard to say whether that's also just a function of the second trimester being relatively kind.

Very best of babymaking wishes to all of you!
#16 of 187 Old 05-08-2007, 05:59 PM

Mmmmm, the metion of that homemade grass fed cheeseburger is making me hungry....

#17 of 187 Old 05-08-2007, 09:56 PM

did any of you do a cleansing fast or anything? Some practitioners recommend a cleanse before conceiving so just wondering if any of you have had any experience with that... How long would you wait from the fast before TTC?

Thanks!
#18 of 187 Old 05-09-2007, 12:04 AM

I did not. I am a horrible faster..I get too moody and tired. I just keep on my meat, veg, fruit, nut, fats tf diet....I must eat liver starting asap though. I read in NT that a fast should be 6 mos+ before conception.

#19 of 187 Old 05-09-2007, 01:12 AM

How long a fast are we talking about? Is it a water-only fast?
#20 of 187 Old 05-09-2007, 02:34 AM

Count me in - I hope . We've been eating NT for 1 1/2 years and dd and I have been chelating and detoxing (me for just over a year and her for a couple months). I'm hoping that my tests will show much less metals coming off by July so that we can ttc Sept. or so if dd's health issues continue to improve as we pull more metals off her. We will have to wait longer if my metal excretion is still high or she is improving so slowly that she is still special needs. I have to be realistic with the amount of time I would have left over to care for another baby. I ate organic SAD when pregnant with dd and had a great pregnancy so I'm excited to see what 18 mo of TF and one year of detox does for my body.
Great idea for a thread.
Anybody else hoping for a homebirth?
#21 of 187 Old 05-09-2007, 02:39 AM

Hoping for TTC this summer but feeling like I need to do some cleansing before then. I started the TF and reading about cleansing recently and was waiting until DD cut down on the BFing. We are down to just a few times per day so I figure I could start pretty soon. Any other thoughts on this? My ND suggested a parasite cleanse when I was done with BF, but she also wants me to wait at least a year to get pregnant -- not likely. DD is almost 2.

I was primarily vegetarian during my first pregnancy. Still mostly vegetarian but trying to do chicken, again because of recommendations from ND. Curious to see how things are different the second time around!
#22 of 187 Old 05-09-2007, 02:52 AM

Oh yes. I had a home birth last time and it was heavenly
#23 of 187 Old 05-09-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
How long a fast are we talking about? Is it a water-only fast?
I did a veggies and small amt of fruit and sm amt non gluten grain hot cereal for four days (big accomplishment for me--I'm a sugar, grain junky!) a couple of weeks ago and I felt pretty good, but now I feel yucky! Lots of brain fog and tired. It was a pretty gentle cleanse so I'm surprised that I feel so yucky! So I don't know if I'm still dumping toxins ( I have been taking a supp for liver, kidney, lymph support) or if I have a food allergy thing going on...I really don't want to have to do an elimination diet...I was ready to get pregnant! But if I don't feel good, I guess it's probably not a good idea and I have more work to do yet...

Just hoping to be encouraged by others experiences...(and maybe a kick in the butt to do the elimination diet for the health of my future kids!)

Kari
#24 of 187 Old 05-09-2007, 03:24 PM

Are your hubbies eating NT to prep for TTC? Genes are 50% mom and 50% dad. Any hints on encouraging them to make good choices? I have found as long as I have NT snacks and meals around, DH eats them, but if I didn't cook dinner he has no problem stopping at Runza on the way home! : (though he's much better than he used to be!)
#25 of 187 Old 05-09-2007, 06:07 PM

Good for you, mamas! You know the phrase, "You are what your grandmother ate." Well, we'll be that grandmother too someday!

The main dietary changes we made before TTC were:

1. Moving to grass-fed animal products. Buying pastured eggs, pastured chicken, and joining our local farm's CSA program for a bulk share of organic/grassfed beef, pork, chicken, and turkeys. This is the one that made the biggest dent in our food budget. Ouch. Our town's farmer's market sells pastured eggs, chicken, and raw-milk cheeses, and that's less expensive than from the health food store, but still. I'm at the stage where I don't consider battery eggs or pasteurized milk that nutritious, though, so we are taking it out of our budget in other areas.

2. Local raw milk. It's legal and certified in my state, so we can buy raw milk from the health food store a few blocks from us, at the big Whole Foods, or at our local farm. Everywhere except Whole Foods is the same price as grocery store milk. After reviewing the safety statistics in my state (like, we're a million times more likely to get food-borne illnesses from vegetables than from certified raw milk), I feel completely comfortable continuing to drink it throughout my pregnancy. (Also after looking at the safety stats, I decided to give up soft cheeses and sushi -- I'm not a risk-taker by any means, but licensed raw milk is seriously SO safe!)

3. Switching away from carbs, even "good" carbs like whole wheat, as the foundation for meals. I switched over to grinding fresh flour from wheat berries when we want to make bread or pasta, so not only is it extra nutritious, it's a special treat because of all that work! Homemade ravioli is totally worth it, though.

4. I take a folic acid supplement and a Blue Ice CLO/BO capsule every day, and I give my husband a fish oil supplement. I'm extremely conservative wrt fish and mercury, but we try to get a good amount of Alaskan salmon in our diets also, especially for my kids (who won't take CLO).

Did anyone else just get the Nina Planck newsletter that said that 60% of a baby's developing brain is fat, and HALF of that fat is DHA? Wow!

Tending a garden of little ones. stillheart.gif
#26 of 187 Old 05-09-2007, 06:18 PM

Naturemama, I am SO jealous of you having raw milk so easy to come by and affordable! I can't get it anywhere.

You said your kids won't take CLO--I give my kids salmon oil from a company called Health from the Sea--it might only be available in Canada though. It's bubble-gum flavoured and they actually like it! (It probably also helps that I told them it's "special vitamins," and refrained from using the word "fish").

#27 of 187 Old 05-09-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillpicklechip View Post
Naturemama, I am SO jealous of you having raw milk so easy to come by and affordable! I can't get it anywhere.

You said your kids won't take CLO--I give my kids salmon oil from a company called Health from the Sea--it might only be available in Canada though. It's bubble-gum flavoured and they actually like it! (It probably also helps that I told them it's "special vitamins," and refrained from using the word "fish").
Oh, thank you! I will look for that next time we're at Whole Foods.

I had no idea that raw milk was so hard to find in most places! I feel very blessed that it is legal and local to us here (we even help take care of the cows we get it from most frequently). Back in my home state, raw milk has been legal in grocery stores for years and years. I recently gave my mom my copy of NT to read, and she was like, That's old news! We drank raw milk when you were little all the time.

Tending a garden of little ones. stillheart.gif
#28 of 187 Old 05-09-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturemama1 View Post
I recently gave my mom my copy of NT to read, and she was like, That's old news! We drank raw milk when you were little all the time.
It's amazing how much common-sense nutrition is now considered "dangerous." My friend who is an ultra-modern, nutrition-conscious, all-organic, Atkins-devotee says, "You take your life in your hands when you drink raw milk!!!"

But my FIL grew up on a little farm in West Virginia and he said, "Raw milk? Well of course. That's what we always drank when I was a kid. Fresh from the cow."
#29 of 187 Old 05-11-2007, 03:55 PM

Me too!!! We're going to TTC starting in early fall, and I've been getting back on NT since January. I was doing great there for a while, but the last couple months got ridiculously busy with a creative project and I got really off-track. I wasn't eating horribly, but too much Jamba Juice (nonfat fro-yo) and pasta salad on the go. So I'm trying to get back into the swing. Here's the main things I count on:

Every day I take a whole-foods-based prenatal vitamin and 1ml of the Blue Ice CLO/HVBO mix. Yes, I just take the oil straight, but it's the cinnamon flavor and if I put the dropper way back on my tongue it's all right!

Raw organic dairy. I'm lucky to have this readily available too. We get raw whole milk, raw butter, and raw cheeses from the local co-op. We are also very lucky to get pastured eggs for free every week from the mother of one of DBF's trumpet students. So lucky! I love looking at their beautiful blue-green-yellow-pink shells every week!

I love coconut, so I throw it in everything I can. Favorite recipes are coconut-crusted salmon or shrimp, and sauteed apples in coconut oil, topped with raw cream and shredded coconut. I also love organic coconut butter on bread, or just plain on a spoon!

I'm trying to figure out the best fish for us - the co-op lists which fish are lowest in mercury and I go by that. Mostly wild-caught salmon, but also some catfish or trout sometimes. Is that bad?

Meat is an issue - DBF won't eat it and doesn't like me to cook it. A couple times a month I have naturally-raised beef in a Chipotle burrito, but that's it. I know, that's not grass-fed. Any ideas there? I'm also not getting organ meat, but I do like liverwurst and I think I'll get some from the local butcher.

Then, of course, lots of organic veggies and fruits. I'm pretty strict about veggies - I won't eat raw brassicas or leafy greens. I love sauteed greens with lemon cream sauce!

Grains are a problem for me - it's the first thing I'll go non-NT with if I'm not careful. I try to limit my consumption, and I stick to sourdough or sprouted-grain bread from the co-op. But I'll plead ignorance when I want a Chipotle burrito with plain old tortilla and white rice! Again, any ideas?

I was vegetarian for the better part of 17 years, and vegan for the second half of last year. My health declined so badly that I sprang straight into NT and haven't looked back! I feel so much better, I sleep better overall, have more energy, see more clearly, my skin and hair are healthier...I don't think I'll ever go back! DBF is a different story - he eats pretty poorly sometimes, although he's better than he used to be and will even eat some of the raw dairy now even though he still clings to the modern "wisdom" that raw is scary. Bah!

Oh yeah, and I haven't posted enough yet to have a signature line with all my icons, but here's my plan:: : : !!!!!

We're officially TTC!!!

I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
#30 of 187 Old 05-11-2007, 04:05 PM

Hey HerbanGirl. Welcome. I'm on my way out, so I can't answer your questions, but I did look at your blog and am drooling over the apron.

I live south of you, on the southern edge of the Sequoia National Forest

Amanda

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page