Meatloaf - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-09-2007, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, the last grassfed 'sampler' we got had 20 lbs of ground beef which I don't usually use very much. We seem to be a much more 'chunk' oriented people. I've taken to making stews with ground beef and it's just not the same.

So, I had this grand idea to make meatloaf so maybe we can get through it and make sure that next time there is only 10lbs or even less of ground beef for the occasional spaghetti sauce. :

But (there alway is a but) grassfed meat is so lean that I'm not sure how this meatloaf will turn out. Every place I look for a recipe, they caution to use two kinds of meat and one should be quite fatty.

Anyone make meatloaf with GF meat? Would you care to share the recipe? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-09-2007, 10:38 AM

yeah... I always use grassfed beef ( and send some of that ground beef this way, that what we always run out of first )

This is what I do ( we eat gf, and often grainfree so keep that in mind)

1 pound ground beef ( and some heart if I have it around, also ground)
carrots, celery, onions, garlic and other veggies if I have them like mushrooms, and leeks. Chop small (really small if you are trying to sneak extra veggies into a veggie haters diet)and saute in some traditional fat.
Grind some kind of seed smallish, I like sunflower seeds best, but have also used sesame seeds, and you could probably also use ground flaxseed or ground almonds)
Mix the sauteed veggies with the seeds and the ground meat, add seasoning (mustard, sea salt, pepper, thyme etc) add one or two raw eggs and mush the mass together well. Put in an oven proof casserol dish and form in a loaf shape. Cover with lactofermented (or not ) ketchup and pour some (1/2 to 1 cup or so)water or beefstock around the loaf. Bake at 350 for a little more then and hour or so.

This is maybe a bit more crumbly then regular meatloaf but I think if you used breadcrumbs instead of the seeds it would help with that.

HTH

Tanya
#3 of 8 Old 05-09-2007, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks, this sounds great!

I was never partial to meatloaf and my hope is that now that the meat we eat is better quality, it'll taste better to me. I should try it with seeds and see how we like it, you never know!
#4 of 8 Old 05-09-2007, 04:47 PM

I have made the NT meatloaf several times with GF beef and I think it's great. I don't do the ketchup "icing" though; we serve it on the side.
#5 of 8 Old 05-10-2007, 01:33 PM

It definitely works but tends to be crumbly. You might try meatballs for your soups. They are just little round meatloafs, so you could make one meatloaf and then a bunch of little meatballs. Cook time would be different.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#6 of 8 Old 05-10-2007, 01:52 PM

I always found meatloaf to be kind of gross. Marc, however, loves it so I needed to find a recipe I could stand to eat. I found one for Italian Meatloaf with Basil & Provolone in Cooking Light magazine years ago that is sooooo yummy!

The ingredients are
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil
1/2 cup ketchup
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese
2 large egg whites
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound ground round

ETA: I haven't tried it with good beef yet (but we have 40 pounds coming in a couple of weeks...woohoo!) but I think with the cheese in there it will add enough extra fat to make it work. Sauteing the veggies as Tcarwyn does would probably help as well.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#7 of 8 Old 05-10-2007, 02:35 PM

We have been getting a side of grass-fed meat every year for at least 5 years so, it is the only meat I have used to make this meatloaf recipe. My family loves it!

2 lbs ground beef
1/4 cup parmesan cheese shredded fine
1 clove garlic, mashed
3 T fr. parsley, chopped fine
3 T fr. basil, chopped fine
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cracked pepper
1 med onion, chopped fine
1 cup oats
1/2 cup ketchup- sometimes I use homemade, sometimes not

Mix all ingredients together. Bake @ 350 for one hour in a large loaf pan.

I add some type of BBQ sauce to the top while cooking.
Here is a recipe I sometimes use.

BBQ sauce

3 cups ketchup
I cup sucanat
3T dijon mustard
2 cloves minced garlic
1 T grated fresh ginger

Combine and place in a jar, allow it to combine flavors for a couple hours before using.

I serve this with garlic mashed potatoes and a salad. It is a staple at our house.

Blessings,

~Traci, wife to DH 4-88. Mom to 3 homebirthed sons, 22,20&17

The Blue Door Farmhouse & traci.mymomentis.biz

#8 of 8 Old 05-10-2007, 02:52 PM

We always use eggs as a binder (even back in pre-TF days).

My mom has a great spaghetti sauce recipe - I know it's not meatloaf, but it uses ground beef.

Spaghetti Sauce

3 tbsp oil or butter [I use 1/2 each olive oil and butter]
1 1/4 lb ground beef
1 clove chopped garlic
1 med. onion, chopped
3/4 c. celery tops, chopped
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 or 2 bay leaves
1 tsp. salt
1 (19 oz) can tomatoes
1 (6oz) can tomato paste

Saute beef, garlic, onion and celery tops, stirring for 5 minutes or until meat is seared [I usually saute beef from frozen, just flipping the whole chunk and using a fork to "peel" off the cooked stuff - I always forget to take it out beforehand - then I add the veggies for the last 5 minutes or so of cooking, so they don't get burned]. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well; cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.

Serve over cooked spaghetti (or spaghetti squash) with grated parmesan cheese.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page