fermenting kale? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-09-2007, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One more newbie question for today:

Can I ferment kale or other greens? Our CSA is going heavy on the greens right now (kale, spinach, chard, turnip and beet greens) and I was wondering if any of these would work for fermentation.

TIA

Tabitha
#2 of 8 Old 05-09-2007, 04:34 PM

I am wondering that too... Jessica Prentice mentios something about the Ladakhis fermenting kale, but it involved partially sundrying it first, then fermenting and then drying again...doesn't sound so appetizing to me

Tanya
#3 of 8 Old 05-09-2007, 04:52 PM

I just got a great book called "Preserving Food Without Freezing or Canning : Traditional Techniques" and I think there may be a kale recipe in there. I will look when I get home tonight.

I know there is one for preserving chard stalks... I'll be trying that when my chard gets out of hand, as it does every year!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#4 of 8 Old 05-09-2007, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spughy View Post
I know there is one for preserving chard stalks... I'll be trying that when my chard gets out of hand, as it does every year!

Thanks so much for any recipe you share. Can you share the one(s) for the chard, as well?
#5 of 8 Old 05-09-2007, 07:01 PM

I want that book ( and I have a birthday, mothersday and an anniversary coming up...yay me
#6 of 8 Old 05-09-2007, 09:19 PM

Hi there. I've made Version 1 and 2 of this recipe: http://www.bodyecology.com/cveggies.php and I've made version 2 with beet (excellent!) and version 2 with kale on another occation. I added some kefir whey and a little salt with all of them and they were quite good. My favourate sauerkraut recipe so far is version 2 with beet. YUM!

Two days ago I made the kimchi recipe in NT and used turnips instead of daikon radish. It smells good so far. So yes, you can add these in your lacto fermented veg or sauerkrauts. Happy fermenting!
#7 of 8 Old 05-09-2007, 11:48 PM

Unfortunately no recipes in my fancy book. Just how to keep kale in your garden from freezing so you can harvest it all winter.

Tcarwyn, you TOTALLY want this book. It's by "the gardeners and farmers of Terre Vivante", a sort of commune thingy in France, and some of the ideas in there are amazing - did you know if you put apples in a box with dried elderflowers for 6 weeks, the apples will taste like pineapple? I totally have to try that one.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#8 of 8 Old 05-10-2007, 11:28 AM

oh man, that sounds fantastic...I am putting it on the list (next to a WAPF membership and one to my local Slow Food USA group)

Tanya

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page