Why unhomogenized milk? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-31-2007, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found where I can buy unhomogenized 3.8% milk (can't buy unpasturized milk)... but now I'm wondering why unhomogenized? I can't skim 3.8% milk for cream right? When drinking it would I have to shake it first before pouring it each time?
#2 of 7 Old 05-31-2007, 04:40 AM

Here's one link that may help:
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...enization.html

We're officially TTC!!!

I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
#3 of 7 Old 05-31-2007, 04:03 PM

3.8% milk fat sounds like normal whole milk to me so you should be able to skim some cream off of it when it rises to the top. You can shake before you pour if you like. Most of the time I just give it a gentle swirl before pouring - nothing too vigorous.
#4 of 7 Old 05-31-2007, 07:53 PM

Kimbernet, why would she want to skim the cream off before drinking the milk? The vitamins in the cream are necessary to digest the minerals in the skim part. And yes, you'd need to gently shake or stir the milk before pouring in order to mix it in. This doesn't seem like a hassle once you've gotten used to it. I guess as far as the "worthwhile-ness" of that milk goes, I'd also consider whether the cows are grassfed, whether it's very expensive or inconvenient, and whether you'd be supporting the local/natural economy by buying it. Raw milk is radically different and from the right farm, nutritionally superior. I'd say grass fed is next in importance, followed by non-homogenized and organic in I'm not sure what order. Happy milk drinking!
#5 of 7 Old 05-31-2007, 08:09 PM

I get unhomogenized, and it rarely needs any shaking. I don't get the cream rising to the top unless I set it out on the counter (like for making buttermilk).
#6 of 7 Old 05-31-2007, 10:39 PM

I bought some unhomogenized, pasturized whole milk. Weirdly enough, the cream globs together, even after I shake the bottle. Strange.
#7 of 7 Old 06-03-2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
I bought some unhomogenized, pasturized whole milk. Weirdly enough, the cream globs together, even after I shake the bottle. Strange.
I have found the cream tends to clot faster at the top of the bottle when stored at the back of the fridge (where it is colder) rather than the front of the fridge where it is slightly warmer. I always shake the cream back into the milk even if it clots, though sometimes I get a glob in the milk I'm using. It tastes fine either way - the globs are just clotted cream, basically non-sour sour cream, and they don't bother me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page