Kefir Smoothies for a Yeast-Free Diet? - Mothering Forums
Traditional Foods > Kefir Smoothies for a Yeast-Free Diet?
Metasequoia's Avatar Metasequoia 06:50 PM 06-02-2007
I need some new recipes for a sugar free/yeast free diet. I usually use a banana to sweeten them & toss in some blueberries & strawberries, sometimes an avocado as well.
I think that Dd1 has yeast issues, clearly the itchy bottom yeast, possibly systemic since we battled thrush when she was a nursling & she had quite a few yeasty diaper rashes.

So, we're already on a TF diet, no bread, very few grains, really very little sugar, so I don't think it'll be that much of a PITA, but I can't think of what to use in the kefir smoothies! I might take out the avocado too since I have adrenal issues & I think that Dd1 does too (hypoglycemic, a bit of anxiousness & it can be hereditary) & avocadoes have a lot of potassium.

Can I use vanilla flavor? The non-alcohol one that has glycerin? Is that a no-no for a yeast diet?

Oddly, I think that pears are okay..can't get much sweeter than a pear.

Ideas?

SUNMAMA's Avatar SUNMAMA 07:09 PM 06-02-2007
I have been dealing with candida for a while now and all sugars and grains are no-nos. If you really want to get the candida numbers down avoid fruit, too. Xylitol and stevia are the only sweeteners I know of that don't feed yeast. Children usually respond quicker than adults to a diet that doesn't feed yeast. My dd has yeast issues as well and seems to be much more calm and happy when she gets no sugar, low sugar friuts only, like strawberries and peaches, but mostly a diet of meat and veggies. Lots of veggies.
Rachel J.'s Avatar Rachel J. 11:16 PM 06-02-2007
I've mostly just been drinking my kefir straight up (although dh has developed eczema and I'm afraid that although he's not reacting with gas and fussiness to it that might be the cause of the rash ) I've got adrenal fatitgue/candida/mineral imbalances/deficiencies or something going on and have been sort of following a candida meat and low carb veggie diet (when I'm not eating buckwheat for breakfast, rice bread for a snack with ghee for a snack or finishing ds1's apple All that to say, I find that I need a fair amount of fruit like mango and pineapple to make a sweetened smoothie and I usually don't feel so good afterwards. So I've just been drinking a big glass "as is." Dairy is usually a candida no-no but if I have the yeasties I'm not crazy-sick with it so I think the benefits of raw kefir outway the drawbacks, or at least that's what I'm telling myself right now I think the glycerin based vanilla is okay on most candida diets. Sugar is sugar so if you're wanting to go pretty strict on a candida diet you'll probably want to cut out all fruit, including the pears. On the other hand, you can always stick with the fruits you and dd seem to tolerate and see how you progress. My itchy feet (like athlete's foot) went away after I started a strict candida diet and it didn't come back even when I added in some grains and fruits. Now the other symptoms, that's another story but I'm working on it.
Up