Should I keep my coconut oil in the fridge? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-03-2007, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been keeping my coconut oil in the cupboard and I took it out last night and it was completely liquified. It is very hot here and I do not have a/c. Should I keep it in the fridge? Leave it in the cupboard? Thanks ladies!

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
#2 of 9 Old 06-03-2007, 08:54 AM

I keep mine on the counter. There's nothing wrong with it being a liquid. I find it easier to use that way. I'm glad it's finally warm enough for it to be liquid rather than solid.
I do love coconut oil!

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#3 of 9 Old 06-03-2007, 04:10 PM

i leave mine in the cupboard, usually get Tropical Traditions or Spectrum brand. heard from someone else that they get Nutiva and it seemed to go rancid pretty quick for them (thought that was strange, since i always hear it's supposed to be good as far as being shelf stable for a year or two...) so she keeps hers in the fridge.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#4 of 9 Old 06-04-2007, 10:21 PM

I keep mine in the cupboard over the refrigerator so it will stay liquid. Easier to use that way and it stays stable. Remember, in the tropics, where it is hot, they didn't have refrigerators and have have benefited from CO for a long time.
#5 of 9 Old 06-05-2007, 01:40 AM

I have Tropical Traditions and leave mine in the cupboard. I like it liquid -- it's easier to measure. I've tried other brands and although I haven't had any for as long as 2 years, I've had them for awhile and they've never gone rancid on me. The container usually states a 18 month to 2 year shelf-life.
#6 of 9 Old 06-05-2007, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! Now that it is cooler my CO is now partly solid and partly liquid. I am guessing that it will be ok to use even if it keeps going through these changes.

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
#7 of 9 Old 06-05-2007, 12:04 PM

I was wondering about keeping one container of CO in the fridge just for use as a shortening substitute in recipes. Does anyone do this?
#8 of 9 Old 06-05-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto5girls View Post
I was wondering about keeping one container of CO in the fridge just for use as a shortening substitute in recipes. Does anyone do this?
IME, It gets too hard if you put it in the fridge. I tried it once and could hardly get any out. It was like a brick!
#9 of 9 Old 06-07-2007, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto5girls View Post

I like the Spectrum Organics Palm Oil shortening. Its melting point seems to be a bit higher then the CO. CO in the fridge gets really, really hard and may need to be set on the counter a bit if you firm it up that way if you want to sub it for shortening and have it be the consistency of shortening.

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page