Paleo diet and nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2007, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All! I recently stumbled across a copy of the Paleo diet. It was good timing, I've been looking to make a change but as a nutrition educator, I had a hard time with NT. Anyway, I am also breastfeeding my 4 month old. I'm concerned about the lower carb diet. All the info I can find is related to Atkins and breastfeeding. My current thought is that if I had brown and wild rices I will be consuming enough carbs to say out of ketosis, which is the concern when breastfeeding, right? Any other nursing moms following the paleo diet?

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2007, 06:59 PM

I'm following close to the paleodiet but I'm not nursing so I don't know how helpful I can be. :/ If what's bothering you is ketosis, then just make sure you eat lots of veggies and fruits and a few tubers. You can easily stay out of ketosis this way - the paleodiet isn't necessarily low-carb unless you specifically make it that way. For example if you have a sweet potato and a pear, that is 40g carb already just on top of whatever other veg you eat that day.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
Old 06-05-2007, 07:02 PM

I am a fan of paleo eating (meats, fats, produce and nuts). I would think you could stay out of ketosis with higher carb fruits and vegetables(butternut squash, carrots ect). I eat potatoes, but some paleo-eaters don't. Plus if you use natural sweetners that would up the carb intake.

I am pregnant and think it is a great way to eat for preg and bf...
Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 06-05-2007, 09:23 PM

I'm just curious, what is the concern over ketones while breastfeeding?

I had some concern over eating too few carbs during early pregnancy (when I realized that, without trying, I was only eating about 15g of carb a day). I did increase my carbs, but I didn't worry about ketones. I read some about them, and there was some evidence that fetuses actually needed some ketones for optimal brain development (along with carbs). I hadn't even thought about ketones since then. So, that's why I'm wondering.

As for your question, our oldest son is basically on a paleo diet (ha, ha, so is the baby lol), and he gets enough carb from fruits and veggies, and a little bit of raw honey, to keep neg. ketones. It can definitely be done. I watch that with him, because he has diabetes, and although some ketones from not eating much carb don't hurt him (according to his dr.), it does muddy the water when he's sick and I don't know whether the ketones are from diet or from not enough insulin. I want to know, when I see ketones it's from him being sick and then I know what to do about it.

Christie

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:31 PM

Mostly paleo here too( i cheat with the occasional rice and I do eat cheese on a regular basis and some other fermented dairy)

And as pp said...its very easy to stay out of ketosis while eating paleo....jsut eat fruits and tubers and lots of veggies

Tanya
Old 06-07-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies! DH and I are already feeling much better after just a few days. It's amazing

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 06-07-2007, 03:28 PM

Awesome! Great news, Carrie.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
Old 06-08-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
I am a fan of paleo eating (meats, fats, produce and nuts). I would think you could stay out of ketosis with higher carb fruits and vegetables(butternut squash, carrots ect). I eat potatoes, but some paleo-eaters don't. Plus if you use natural sweetners that would up the carb intake.

I am pregnant and think it is a great way to eat for preg and bf...
Jen
ITA. Plus eating fruits will give you the sugars you need. We do potatoes rarely-but we have never seen ketosis in this household. We eat alot of fruit!

User Tag List