colon or liver cleanse while nursing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 06-07-2007, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been either pregnant or nursing for the last 7-1/2 years and I really think that a cleanse will be beneficial. I wouldn't think about doing a cleanse with a young baby, but dd#2 is 3-1/4 years old. Are there "safer" cleanse regiments available? Ideas? It could be another year or 2 before she stops nursing (who knows? She still loves it). Should I wait? Or are there other options?
#2 of 30 Old 06-07-2007, 04:09 AM

:
#3 of 30 Old 06-07-2007, 10:28 AM

Ok, I don't want to be flamed here but my holistic dr and my own research tell me it is safe to do a liver flush while nursing an older child, I waited till my dd was 3 to start doing the flushes. A flush involves a couple doses of epsom salts and drinking olive oil mixed with grapefriut juice at night then more epsom salts the following morning. THe stones pass from your liver/gallbladder into the digestive track so quickly there is no time for them or the toxins to get into your milk supply. I have been amazed at what comes out of my liver. and the most noticeable thing is I have no body oder for a week or so afterwards... you can read more about these flushes at curezone.com, it's quick and painless. I have been very sick and full of toxins and this along with diet, probiotics and exercise has made a huge difference in my overall attitude and health. If you want more info pm me
#4 of 30 Old 06-07-2007, 01:22 PM

I don't know how, but I do know that there *are* ways to support the liver until you feel it's safe to cleanse. Maybe mountainmom will weigh in on this.
#5 of 30 Old 06-07-2007, 07:24 PM

There is actually quite a body of research now proving that the salt/lemon juice/olive oil "liver flushes' are pretty much bogus. The "stones" that appear are actually formed by the combination of oil and epson salt...and I have been around 3-4 people doing these flushes and they all were miserable while it was going on....

So here is just my opinion...I know plenty of people who do cleanses and swear they feel great. BUT: I think that we need to be nurtured rather than cleansed. I think if I felt like I needed to do "something" I would do a "clean diet" for a few weeks, just grassfed or wild meat, tons and tons of veggies ( at least 10 servings a day), no grain, no dairy, no legumes, probably no nuts, very little fruit. Lots of broths and vegetable juices, lots of raw and fermented veggies. That way you are cleaning and nourishing. And I think that would be fine while nursing.

But again, just my opinion.

Tanya
#6 of 30 Old 06-07-2007, 09:59 PM

Thanks Tanya, that's fascinating. What do you think about the Hulda Clark kidney cleanse? http://curezone.com/clark/kidney.asp
#7 of 30 Old 06-08-2007, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcarwyn View Post
So here is just my opinion...I know plenty of people who do cleanses and swear they feel great. BUT: I think that we need to be nurtured rather than cleansed. I think if I felt like I needed to do "something" I would do a "clean diet" for a few weeks, just grassfed or wild meat, tons and tons of veggies ( at least 10 servings a day), no grain, no dairy, no legumes, probably no nuts, very little fruit. Lots of broths and vegetable juices, lots of raw and fermented veggies. That way you are cleaning and nourishing. And I think that would be fine while nursing.
Tanya
That makes sense. I do most of the above (except when we eat out) - grassfed meat, no grains, no legumes, little nuts, salads and fermented veggies. So just increasing my veggie intake. I don't have any experience with juicing though. I assume you're talking about juicing veggies vs fruits. Where's a good place to start? Any juice veggie combos? (I might start a new thread on this too...) I'll have to buy a juicer as well (something I've been thinking about anyways).
#8 of 30 Old 06-10-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
Thanks Tanya, that's fascinating. What do you think about the Hulda Clark kidney cleanse? http://curezone.com/clark/kidney.asp
Sounds pretty good, although it does also sound a bit harsh. I would avoid the B2 powder (am not crazy about supplements and B's need to be taken in combination)

How long are you supposed to take this? and for what reasons? just to cleanse?

The following herbs are a bit harsh and should not be taken for a long period:
uva ursi
gravel root
hydrangea root

and then why the HCI?...

it seems a bit invasive to me, but if thats okay with you then I would say go ahead...

Tanya
#9 of 30 Old 06-10-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaMAMAma View Post
That makes sense. I do most of the above (except when we eat out) - grassfed meat, no grains, no legumes, little nuts, salads and fermented veggies. So just increasing my veggie intake. I don't have any experience with juicing though. I assume you're talking about juicing veggies vs fruits. Where's a good place to start? Any juice veggie combos? (I might start a new thread on this too...) I'll have to buy a juicer as well (something I've been thinking about anyways).

A uicer or a vitamix type blender work. With the belnder you keep the fiber content as well. I think good ones to start with are celery, cucumber, lettuces, kale, things like that. You can add a tiny bit of fruit ( like kiwi or half and apple or so for taste)

Just eating 10 serving af veggies a day is the best way I know to heal and cleanse and nourish humans ( and loose weight too

1 serving =
1/2 c cooked veggies
1 c raw veggies
2 cloves garlic
2 t kelp

Good luck!!

Tanya
#10 of 30 Old 06-10-2007, 01:30 PM

You can take milk thistle and drink kombucha to help support your liver during nursing. I've done this and had significant improvement without detoxing- you just start low and slow on the kombucha before you build up.

I'm in your boat- nursing and or pregnant for long periods of time.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#11 of 30 Old 06-13-2007, 02:22 PM

hi, just have a few thoughts on some previous comments on the gall stones. i had some gall bladder issues last year, when my baby was 5/6 months old or thereabouts. the dr's naturally wanted to yank it out. i tried the olive oil, lemon and epsom salt cleanse and it definitly flushed out green stones. lots of them. and i read many stories of people having the same results not using the epsom salts. and seen many pics of cut open gall bladders full of the same stone. so for myself at least i am confident the cleanse did not create the stones. i've not come across that idea before, and would be interested if there is research/experience to show more on this?

also, i did not feel that bad at all during the first cleanse, and only a little worse the second time. having said that, there probably are gentler ways to cleanse, but this was very effective.

a few months ago did an "intensive body cleanse" from a trusted site with a 1 y/o nursing babe and we both did great. so it probably depends on the cleanse and your health issues, cause things can get flushed out of you and you dont wnat them in baby. and on that note, one of my babies is having a fit over... who knows.
#12 of 30 Old 06-14-2007, 12:18 PM

The epsom salts open and relax the bile ducts to let the stones pass through easier, also apple juice or malic acid softens the stones to help ease the passing. I also, have no doubt that this flush is working but it is very important to follow the instructions and times closely.

Other things to support the liver include coffee enemas, milk thistle and glyconutrients. Google glyconutrient pudding for an easy recipe. Dandelion and any green leafy veggi and lemon juice in water every morning.
#13 of 30 Old 06-14-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candletime View Post
hi, just have a few thoughts on some previous comments on the gall stones. i had some gall bladder issues last year, when my baby was 5/6 months old or thereabouts. the dr's naturally wanted to yank it out. i tried the olive oil, lemon and epsom salt cleanse and it definitly flushed out green stones. lots of them. and i read many stories of people having the same results not using the epsom salts. and seen many pics of cut open gall bladders full of the same stone. so for myself at least i am confident the cleanse did not create the stones. i've not come across that idea before, and would be interested if there is research/experience to show more on this?

also, i did not feel that bad at all during the first cleanse, and only a little worse the second time. having said that, there probably are gentler ways to cleanse, but this was very effective.

a few months ago did an "intensive body cleanse" from a trusted site with a 1 y/o nursing babe and we both did great. so it probably depends on the cleanse and your health issues, cause things can get flushed out of you and you dont wnat them in baby. and on that note, one of my babies is having a fit over... who knows.

Is it common to have gallbladder issues several months postpartum? My nephew has a 4 1/2 month old and his wife was just told she may need to have her gallbladder removed. I will be forwarding this info to her...
#14 of 30 Old 06-14-2007, 01:29 PM

I did an intestinal cleanse lightly when I was bfing my then 2 month old. I used Dr. Schulze's formula 1 and 2. Fast forward a couple of years, where I did about the same cleanse using plain ol' psyllium husk mixed with juice 5 times a day for about 3 weeks. Dr. Schulze also has various cleansing formulas, but his liver/gallbladder cleanse tastes extemely nasty! But his detox tea helped my gallbladder and it almost tastes good. https://www.herbdoc.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp

Since herbs have been an important and normal part of our diet, since the dawn of time, I believe that a gentle and careful herbal cleansing is beneficial for mother and child.
#15 of 30 Old 06-14-2007, 03:55 PM

Well here is one such reference from the peer reviewed journal Medical Herbalism. Paul Bergner is my teacher and well known herbalist and nutritionist. Keep in mind that he (and I as well) is a vitalist. He does not use heroic measures if they can avoided in any way, rather he works to support the body and its vitality to help restore balance... Not every ones way

Tanya

Medical Herbalism: Clinical Articles and Case Studies

Hepatic - Liver flush

by Paul Bergner

Medical Herbalism 12-31-93 5(4): 5

A traditional remedy for sluggish liver is the “liver flush” comprising a tablespoon of olive oil and the juice of a lemon, sometimes with a pinch of cayenne pepper. A more vigorous application, with a pint of olive oil and the juice of ten lemons has been used to “expel gallstones.” There are many stories of the patient passing “gallstones” after such a treatment, but whenever the stones themselves have been carefully examined, they have not been gallstones but either intestinal cystoliths or emulsified oil.

Either treatment can be risky with gallstones, however. It is not uncommon for a fatty meal to provoke a gallbladder crisis and a trip to the hospital. Large amounts of olive oil might do the same.

We have received two cases reports of gall bladder crisis required emergency cholecystectomy, induced by a liver flush flushing a stone into the gall duct and causing its blockage.
Copyright 2001 Paul Bergner 171
#16 of 30 Old 07-11-2007, 06:45 PM

I just saw a commercial on TV for a colon cleansing product (Dual Action Cleanse) and the guy said that buildup of compacted fecal matter is mainly caused by the SAD (standard American Diet) with its lack of fiber and enzymes, and their product is wonderful for removing the buildup, yadda yadda...

I immediately thought of this thread. If you eat the SAD and occasionally do some cleanse you might be better off in the short run (IF the cleanse works...). But if you keep eating the same way, you won't stay healthy. And wouldn't it stand to reason that if you are eating TF with plenty of fruit/veggies and live enzymes, your colon would get stronger over time and you wouldn't NEED to buy a cleanse-in-a-box?
#17 of 30 Old 07-11-2007, 09:09 PM

My dad is a natropathic Doc in Az and he said NEVER under any circumstances do the liver cleanse with olive oil, it can be dangerous for the exact reason Tcarwyn said. Apple juice/apples (raw) is a great cleanse and one you could safely try. Niacin is great for the liver as well.
#18 of 30 Old 07-11-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess3_2005 View Post
My dad is a natropathic Doc in Az and he said NEVER under any circumstances do the liver cleanse with olive oil, it can be dangerous for the exact reason Tcarwyn said. Apple juice/apples (raw) is a great cleanse and one you could safely try. Niacin is great for the liver as well.
To do this cleanse, should a person eat nothing but apples and/or apple juice? For how long, and what sort of results might a person expect to see?

Also, thanks for the tip about niacin. For anyone who's interested, nutritional yeast is a great source of niacin (which is a B vitamin): http://www.bestnaturalfoods.com/nutritional_yeast.html
#19 of 30 Old 07-12-2007, 01:19 AM

for the liver cleanse, could you do just the epsom salts with or without the grapefruit and no olive oil (since it's bad for this)?

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#20 of 30 Old 07-12-2007, 09:53 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#21 of 30 Old 07-15-2007, 02:05 AM

I also read in The Detox Solution (highly recommend) that doing a liver cleanse will do nothing if you have not done a colon cleanse first. I saw somewhere else that a colon cleanse with psyllium husk and bentonite clay is safe while bf'ing because the bentonite does not get absorbed into your system.
#22 of 30 Old 07-15-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylaboo View Post
t a colon cleanse with psyllium husk and bentonite clay is safe while bf'ing because the bentonite does not get absorbed into your system.
Argh. I've done that, and it did absolutely nothing. (And another woman on MDC told me she'd done the psyllium husks every day for 3 months with no apparent results, either.) It didn't expel any intestinal plaque, or have any other kind of measurable results. I don't think it works. :

Oh but as an aside, the food-grade bentonite clay is just that - a clay. If you did "absorb it into your system", you'd just be getting extra minerals. It's a completely harmless substance. The main benefit of using the clay is that it absorbs any toxins that might be released from your intestines, and enables you to flush them out of your body without the toxins getting into your bloodstream. That is, in theory - if the psyllium husks actually did scrape out the intestinal plaque and release theoretical toxins.
#23 of 30 Old 07-15-2007, 06:44 PM

Hmm.. so do you think it would be worth doing just the bentonite clay? I am pregnant now and have been nursing or pregnant for the last 3 years. I too would like to do something if it's safe. What I would REALLY like to find is a candida treatment safe for pregnancy.
#24 of 30 Old 07-15-2007, 11:13 PM

Well, the clay won't hurt. But as I understand it, the point of taking the clay is to absorb the toxins that get released when the psyllium husks clean the crud out of your intestines. *shrug*

I hope somebody answers your question, though. I don't know about candida but there must be something!
#25 of 30 Old 07-15-2007, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

I'm reading Raw Food Detox Diet and doing raw food in the morning (sometimes for lunch as well) and then a salad or cooked greens + meat or starch in the evening. So far so good (its only be 2-3 days). Maybe a very very gentle cleanse?
#26 of 30 Old 07-16-2007, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaMAMAma View Post
I'm reading Raw Food Detox Diet and doing raw food in the morning (sometimes for lunch as well) and then a salad or cooked greens + meat or starch in the evening. So far so good (its only be 2-3 days). Maybe a very very gentle cleanse?
Now that's interesting. You don't have to go 100% raw for the cleanse to work? How long are you going to be doing this?

I have been trying to do the Milk Diet for 4 weeks. I'm 2 weeks into it, and I must admit I've been eating raw fruits and avocados every day. : Drinking nothing but milk all day long is too boring! So I'll just tell myself I'm drinking lots of raw milk for the nutritional value and eating raw fruits for the cleansing benefits, yeah...
#27 of 30 Old 07-16-2007, 05:31 AM

i want to go on the milk diet so badly but it would be unpractical for us right now unfortunately.

for candida during pregnancy, grapefruit seed extract, garlic, coconut oil and/or caprylic acid should be fine. also, lots of probiotics and cutting out all sugars and refined carbs.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#28 of 30 Old 07-16-2007, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcarwyn View Post
There is actually quite a body of research now proving that the salt/lemon juice/olive oil "liver flushes' are pretty much bogus. The "stones" that appear are actually formed by the combination of oil and epson salt...and I have been around 3-4 people doing these flushes and they all were miserable while it was going on....
I had u/s diagnosis of gallbladder "sludge", with the dr's expectation that it would turn into gallstones in a few years. After doing the gb/liver flush once or twice, a 2nd u/s showed that my gallbladder was clear. My dr was quite surprised. I did a total of 3 flushes, but I forget if I ahd the repeat u/s after the 1st or the 2nd flush.

I don't know if there's any benefit to me continuing to do those flushes, and I don't intend to do so. But there's no denying that the flush DID help my gallbladder to heal. Yes, the flushes were uncomfortable- I felt lousy the day of the flush, the day after the flush, and it took me several days to return to my normal energy level.

My personal feeling is that it should be safe to do a flush with an older nursling who's nursing mostly for comfort, not for nutrition. I can't remember if DS had already weaned or not when I did my first flush- I would have to check the dates of my u/s to figure it out.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#29 of 30 Old 07-19-2007, 02:35 PM

Oops! I just wanted to mention that when I did the psyllium/bentonite cleanse, I only took 1 Tbsp of each per day (mixed in a glass of water together). The container of psyllium says you should start at 1Tbsp and work up to 3 Tbsp/day (one at each meal). Er... maybe if I'd followed the DIRECTIONS I might have had better results. Sorry for the misinformation! :
#30 of 30 Old 07-19-2007, 02:55 PM

I had just signed into the forums to start a thread on this very subject, but saw this one was already here! Good information....

Does anyone have a recommendation for a specific gentle herbal cleanse? I am nursing an almost 1-year-old.

Happily married for 9 years. 7 year old son, 5 year old daughter, 3 year old daughter. jumpers.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page