I'm excited!!! NT Menu Mailer and great website - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 56 Old 07-05-2007, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been using http://www.cookingtf.com for awhile now, and love all of the advice... the lady who does it is both a celiac and still cooking traditional foods. Anyway, apparently she is starting a Menu Mailer! I have been so bad at remembering to soak and such and she has in the menu mailer a schedule to remember that sort of thing.

She has a sample mailer up and a special if you sign up soon since this is just starting this month. http://www.cookingtf.com/mailer.html

Anyway, just wanted to share since it looked so good. I lurk more on MDC than post, but am new to NT in the last year. I love it but still have a hard time sometimes. I thought that some of you might be in the same boat.

#2 of 56 Old 07-05-2007, 09:10 PM

That's cool! Kerry Ann is on this board, if you didn't know, as KrankedyAnn. She's one of my favorite contributors! I'll check out the menu mailer - thanks for the post!

We're officially TTC!!!

I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
#3 of 56 Old 07-06-2007, 12:48 AM

we have tried the enchiladas from her website and, i think, a thai chicken salad. she has done a great job compiling recipes. both recipes were a huge hit and are now staples in our monthly recipe planning.

thanks, krankedyann!
#4 of 56 Old 07-06-2007, 02:36 AM

I LOVE that site! I have tried quite a few of them at home (and keep thinking I should post a review or two) and everything has been great so far.

Thanks for the update about a menu mailer now available!

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#5 of 56 Old 07-06-2007, 03:06 AM

I subscribed.
#6 of 56 Old 07-06-2007, 10:57 AM

wow! thanks kerryann! I will definately be getting that! I love how it tells you what you need to prepare for later meals!!

I love your website anyway, this just makes it even better!! I have considered printing off your recipes for my own personal cookbook, or have you ever thought of selling one with your recipes in it?
#7 of 56 Old 07-06-2007, 11:54 AM

I'm thrilled to hear that ya'll love my website! I often don't get any feedback on the website, so it's nice to know that it is appreciated.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#8 of 56 Old 07-06-2007, 05:31 PM

Those meal planners look great.

Carey -- she's working on a cookbook.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#9 of 56 Old 07-06-2007, 05:33 PM

Yes, a series of cookbooks is in the works. I'm hoping it won't be too much longer before they start debuting.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#10 of 56 Old 07-06-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann View Post
Yes, a series of cookbooks is in the works. I'm hoping it won't be too much longer before they start debuting.
I said that about a year ago. :

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#11 of 56 Old 07-06-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I'm thrilled to hear that ya'll love my website! I often don't get any feedback on the website, so it's nice to know that it is appreciated.
yeah I love it! I just passed it on to our local LLL leader that I introduced to the NT way of eating

Quote:
great! I will be looking out for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force View Post
I said that about a year ago. :
Any idea when it will be coming out yet? Im so excited to get mine!!
#12 of 56 Old 07-06-2007, 06:29 PM

LOL! The first cookbook I'm hoping will be out in a month. It's only been pushed back several times because my partner and I keep on hitting road blocks in our real lives that eat up time. Like me being forced to leave my house with little notice for two weeks when they began harvesting wheat 5 days prior to when they told me they would, and I got very sick from it. So... real life has had a way of interferring recently.

#13 of 56 Old 07-06-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker View Post
Any idea when it will be coming out yet? Im so excited to get mine!!
It's going through final proofing and then will go to the designer for layout, so it is close, but every step is a long process. I found the perfect content editor in the winter and so I readjusted deadlines accordingly. She's an MD/psychiatrist with a nutrition degree.

Amanda

#14 of 56 Old 07-06-2007, 09:25 PM

KerryAnn,

How are the different books organized and which are you starting with?

Amanda

#15 of 56 Old 07-06-2007, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It's going through final proofing and then will go to the designer for layout, so it is close, but every step is a long process. I found the perfect content editor in the winter and so I readjusted deadlines accordingly. She's an MD/psychiatrist with a nutrition degree.

Amanda
Wow!!!
That's just all sorts of food goodness!!!!
#16 of 56 Old 07-07-2007, 01:20 AM

How many people is one meal supposed to feed? I was showing DH and he thinks it will cost us a fortune to buy all that food, and "It's just one meal out of the day"... We're very new to NT and will be moving over from a lot of processed junk. He's not very keen on the idea as it is, so any tips or even an idea of how much this would be budget wise would really help!

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#17 of 56 Old 07-07-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Catalina View Post
How many people is one meal supposed to feed? I was showing DH and he thinks it will cost us a fortune to buy all that food, and "It's just one meal out of the day"... We're very new to NT and will be moving over from a lot of processed junk. He's not very keen on the idea as it is, so any tips or even an idea of how much this would be budget wise would really help!
Are you talking about the sample mailer? It's meant to feed 4 adults with occasional leftovers. We'll be launching budget versions and versions to feed different numbers of people at a later date. With my family, this menu is working out to feed me and my husband and two small children (under 5) and provide leftovers for lunch for at least the adults the next day.

When you start cutting out the junk and move to whole foods, you bill will often drop as you're not buying all the packaged and processed junk. Two bags of carrots costs less than a bag of potato chips, and it goes a lot farther nutritionally, too.

#18 of 56 Old 07-07-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
KerryAnn,

How are the different books organized and which are you starting with?

Amanda
We're starting with a booklet aimed at feeding children, then a 'cooking with kids' series. Then we move on into other cooking areas, touch all the basics, build on the basics, then end with such subjects as home and body care. It's a series of small books that make up one bigger book. So you can buy the ones you're interested in. The series will be released one or two at a time over a period of months.

#19 of 56 Old 07-07-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Catalina View Post
He's not very keen on the idea as it is, so any tips or even an idea of how much this would be budget wise would really help!
I'm not sure what to tell you about cost, as we are gluten and dairy free due to celiac disease, so we can only purchase certain brands, which makes my grocery bill higher than it otherwise would be- that's a 'perk' of having a food allergy. And another good portion of your budget will depend on what you do about breakfast and lunch, and how many and what kind of snacks you buy. And if you purchase any convenience items instead of making things from scratch.

I can tell you that even with the gluten and dairy free restrictions, we spend about $500 a month for all meals for all four of us. That is an average- some months we spend more, some less, due to things like buying meat in bulk. That includes snacks, eating out (my husband only), everything. My children are also on a gluten and dairy free diet, but my husband is not. Also, what area of the country and whether or not you're purchasing organic has a major influence on budget. I buy organic staples because I'm part of a UNFI buying club, but my access to organic fruits and veggies is hit or miss due to my rural location.

#20 of 56 Old 07-07-2007, 02:45 PM

Oooohh I will have to check into this. Awesome!

Kim, Wife to Michael, Homeschooling Mom to Hannah (13), Aidan (12), Brighton (8), and Oliver (5) and Ephraim (2) goorganic.jpgsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.giffemalesling.GIF 
#21 of 56 Old 07-07-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what to tell you about cost, as we are gluten and dairy free due to celiac disease, so we can only purchase certain brands, which makes my grocery bill higher than it otherwise would be- that's a 'perk' of having a food allergy. And another good portion of your budget will depend on what you do about breakfast and lunch, and how many and what kind of snacks you buy. And if you purchase any convenience items instead of making things from scratch.

I can tell you that even with the gluten and dairy free restrictions, we spend about $500 a month for all meals for all four of us. That is an average- some months we spend more, some less, due to things like buying meat in bulk. That includes snacks, eating out (my husband only), everything. My children are also on a gluten and dairy free diet, but my husband is not. Also, what area of the country and whether or not you're purchasing organic has a major influence on budget. I buy organic staples because I'm part of a UNFI buying club, but my access to organic fruits and veggies is hit or miss due to my rural location.

Thanks so much for your replies I think I am slowly bringing him around, but it's a loooong drawn out process and I just want to turn our life up the right way already

write@home mama to big boy (04-06) and little boy (10-08)
and someone new in november stork-suprise.gif

#22 of 56 Old 07-07-2007, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

I hear you Brooke!!! DH is dragging his feet too. If it wasn't for our co-ops I would be no where close to where I am right now!!!
#23 of 56 Old 07-08-2007, 12:04 AM

Whole food is just expensive.

KerryAnn -- the book plan sounds great. I like the booklet approach. Good for the consumer, good for the writer.

#24 of 56 Old 07-08-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Whole food is just expensive.
You can say that again! Especially whole, organic food. Making everything from scratch is not cheaper, as everyone seems to claim it is, IME. Not at all.
#25 of 56 Old 07-08-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmama33 View Post
You can say that again! Especially whole, organic food. Making everything from scratch is not cheaper, as everyone seems to claim it is, IME. Not at all.
I guess it depends on your situation and where/how you get your food.

I can tell you our grocery bill went from $1000 to $500 a month when I was finally able to start cooking from scratch more after I started to recover from the celiac disease. That extra $500 a month was in 'non-scratch' items.

For me, there are few things I can buy pre-made that work out to be cheaper than doing it myself.

#26 of 56 Old 07-08-2007, 04:36 PM
AJP

How do you do it all, KerryAnn? I've been reading through your recipes online again to try to break me out of the rut I've been in lately, and this mailer may be just the ticket.

Regarding the cost of food - the cheap "normal" food in the grocery store isn't really more economical. Michael Pollan calls it the hidden cost of cheap food. We pay for it in other ways than at the check stand - poor health and increased health care costs, higher taxes to support agricultural subsidies that prop up those cheap shelf prices on commodity foods (corn, soy, dairy, wheat, etc.), social and cultural costs in terms of a disconnected, unhealthy relationship with food, etc.

I (once again) recommend reading The Omnivore's Dilemma for a glimpse into the structure of our mainstream food system and the available alternatives (not to mention a really good read!). It has resulted in a very deep shift in thinking for quite a few people I know. It's available on audio CD, unabridged - great for commuting husbands driving to work who are dragging their feet about buying grassfed beef directly from the ranch instead of the cheap mega-packs of feedlot ground beef from Costco.

There is no secret ingredient.
#27 of 56 Old 07-08-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I guess it depends on your situation and where/how you get your food.

I can tell you our grocery bill went from $1000 to $500 a month when I was finally able to start cooking from scratch more after I started to recover from the celiac disease. That extra $500 a month was in 'non-scratch' items.

For me, there are few things I can buy pre-made that work out to be cheaper than doing it myself.
Perhaps it varies according to where one lives, as well. I live in rural North Dakota. Organics are very, very limited in my area. Hell, even just local, non-GMO foods are pretty limited for about eight months out of the year. There is one grocery store in a nearby town that sells organic foods, and they are pricey -- like $7 for a three pound bag of organic apples, even in season. Or $8 for a three pound bag of potatoes.

Now, I do everything I can to economize, but I refuse to compromise quality. I buy milk, eggs, chickens, beef, and pork from a local farmer ... not certified organic, but organically raised on pasture (when there is pasture to be had). It's cheaper than buying organic milk, eggs, chicken, beef, and pork in the store (assuming those were available, which they generally aren't), but it's still not like buying conventional.

I also purchase from Azure Standard once per month, which saves some money. But still, the stuff ain't cheap.

I am feeding one child with Celiac disease, one with multiple food sensitivities and on the Failsafe program (who also eats enough for two grown men), and another child who just likes to eat. I make pretty much everything we eat from scratch, including snack bars, tortilla chips, yogurt, butter, jam, breads (GF and not), muffins, cookies, etc. It's just not cheap.

I didn't have a garden this year, as we are moving in a couple of weeks, so I didn't see the point. (It would only just now be producing even early crops.) That would save some money, but even with it we spend as much money on food as we do on our mortgage payment. And that's approximately $800 per month.

How you feed a family of four an organic, GF diet on $500 per month is beyond me. But again, I think a lot of that has to do with where you live and what you have available to you in terms of resources.
#28 of 56 Old 07-08-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
How do you do it all, KerryAnn? I've been reading through your recipes online again to try to break me out of the rut I've been in lately, and this mailer may be just the ticket.

Regarding the cost of food - the cheap "normal" food in the grocery store isn't really more economical. Michael Pollan calls it the hidden cost of cheap food. We pay for it in other ways than at the check stand - poor health and increased health care costs, higher taxes to support agricultural subsidies that prop up those cheap shelf prices on commodity foods (corn, soy, dairy, wheat, etc.), social and cultural costs in terms of a disconnected, unhealthy relationship with food, etc.

I (once again) recommend reading The Omnivore's Dilemma for a glimpse into the structure of our mainstream food system and the available alternatives (not to mention a really good read!). It has resulted in a very deep shift in thinking for quite a few people I know. It's available on audio CD, unabridged - great for commuting husbands driving to work who are dragging their feet about buying grassfed beef directly from the ranch instead of the cheap mega-packs of feedlot ground beef from Costco.
Yes, I absolutely agree with this! I choose to feed my family this way, even with the cost, so that we may save in other ways ... save our health, save the environment, save our relationship with food, etc. The Omnivore's Dilemma just cemented that reasoning for me. Excellent book!
#29 of 56 Old 07-08-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmama33 View Post
How you feed a family of four an organic, GF diet on $500 per month is beyond me. But again, I think a lot of that has to do with where you live and what you have available to you in terms of resources.
Absolutely. I think location and availability are the biggest factors.

Plus, we get monthly deliveries with UNFI, which helps on staples or anything like what you would get at Whole Foods or the health food store. I also buy in bulk when I get a really good deal, and I apply a lot of 'the pantry principle' to how I shop. We buy our beef a half-cow at a time now, and I try to stick to doing the same for other meats. And I can pretty routinely get organic carrots for less than $1 a bag and organic apples for $1-1.50 a pound in season. And our pastured meats from the local farmers costs about half of what Whole Foods charges for organic but not grass-fed. And we do have a Trader Joes to get specialty things, like sunflower butter, that costs more else-where.

One of the things that helps our food bill most is that three of the four of us can't eat out at all.

#30 of 56 Old 07-08-2007, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Eating out is a huge problem for my DH... But I will say, the taste of local grass fed beef is what changed his mind on that one! The bottom line for me though is I will not compare apples to oranges, and that is what whole organic food is compared to 'conventional'. It is NOT the same, and in the long run NOT cheaper!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page