Why is my liver turning green within a hour of cooking it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-05-2007, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
O.k. I just cooked my organic pastured buffalo liver in Green Patures coconut oil with onion. It was frozen and I thawed it in the fridge for two days. It tastes fine, but as I went to put the last piece in my mouth I noticed that the sides had turned green. The inside was a nice pink/brown combo and the taste was not altered (well, I guess liver has an "altered" taste to start with).
I noticed that a couple weeks ago I made a pound of chicken livers in the same manner and put what I didn't eat into a covered glass container in the fridge. The next day when I pulled the dish out I was shocked to see that all exposed areas of the livers were green, but the insides were still pink or brown.
The bison liver and chicken liver come from two different local organic pastured farms. My guess it that this has to do with oxidation and in both cases I cooked the onions first and then followed with the liver in the same EVCO.
Strange thing is that the green on the bison liver was only on two sides of the piece that happen to be parallel to each other.
Any ideas?
#2 of 10 Old 07-05-2007, 06:35 PM

I noticed this too... it turned my crushed garlic blue in fact. I think it has something to do with the high iron content. I am not sure though

edit: maybe it is the copper though since copper turns green *shrug*
#3 of 10 Old 07-05-2007, 06:36 PM

Did you soak it in milk before cooking?
#4 of 10 Old 07-06-2007, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

No, does soaking it in milk just tenderize?
#5 of 10 Old 07-06-2007, 01:30 AM

Okay. Your title says "MY" liver turning green after cooking it.... you confused me there for a second!
#6 of 10 Old 07-06-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca View Post
No, does soaking it in milk just tenderize?
No, it removes impurities, too. It should be done to all organ meats prior to cooking.
#7 of 10 Old 07-06-2007, 02:41 PM

My chicken liverwurst also turns green when exposed to the air - you can literally watch it turn green before your eyes. And as you say, it doesn't alter the taste. It would be interesting to know what components of the liver actually oxidise this way - I wouldn't have thought it was iron because then you'd get rust colour rather than green.
#8 of 10 Old 07-06-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug View Post
No, it removes impurities, too. It should be done to all organ meats prior to cooking.
that doesn't work with lemon juice added to water? it skeeves me out to think about putting liver into milk.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#9 of 10 Old 07-07-2007, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug View Post
How long do you soak it in raw milk and do you have any references you could pass along as I've never heard of this? Thanks!
#10 of 10 Old 06-12-2013, 07:44 AM

My husband and I are both severely ALLERGIC (NOT lactose intolerant) to milk (YES, including RAW, ORGANIC, etc.) and we eat organic grass fed liver. Do you know what we could substitute milk with?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page