Raw vs Roasted Almond Butter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 07-13-2007, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I'm not going to make my own using crispy nuts, which is preferable-raw or roasted? Or does it not matter-both are equally less desirable than soaked and dehydrated?

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#2 of 27 Old 07-13-2007, 06:10 PM

The purpose of soaking is to deactivate the enzyme inhibitors. Roasting does the same thing, only it just doesn't do as good a job of it. So IMO roasted is better than raw and unsoaked.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#3 of 27 Old 07-13-2007, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hmmm, I've always bought raw almond butter because I've heard that the roasted almonds would be rancid (or rather, their oils would be rancid.) We buy this frequently, so this is interesting to me.

Thoughts?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#4 of 27 Old 07-13-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
Hmmm, I've always bought raw almond butter because I've heard that the roasted almonds would be rancid (or rather, their oils would be rancid.) We buy this frequently, so this is interesting to me.

Thoughts?
Me too! I love my almond butter, please tell me it isn't bad for me!!!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#5 of 27 Old 07-14-2007, 12:38 AM

: Thinking about the same thing...
#6 of 27 Old 07-14-2007, 12:43 AM

I've always bought raw too based on the info that the more processed (or tampered with) it is the less nutrients (and enzymes) are in it. I think I got this info from my ND. She is a TFist and is big on not getting nuts from the bins etc. because of them being rancid. I don't know for sure that this is where this info came from though. (sorry to not help much)
#7 of 27 Old 07-14-2007, 09:55 PM

I always bought raw almond butter too, so I'd be interested in knowing. And i paid $11.00 for raw sesame tahini, so if it's all for naught then I could save a lot of money. I did read somewhere that someone had been eating raw pumpkin seeds and developed some problems, but when they began eating roasted pumpkin seeds, their hair, nails and skin did wonderfully. That sold me, and after 2 weeks of eating roasted pumpkin seeds, my nails have never, and I mean NEVER, been longer than they are now. So I do think there are times when cooked/roasted is better than even raw/soaked. I ate some raw/soaked sunflower seeds for a time and I had some digestive issues, so I really don't know what to think, but I will definitely NOT go back to raw pumpkin seeds after these results.
#8 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think the temp goes up to 350 for roasting nuts, which would make the oils rancid.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#9 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Is there a company that makes soaked almond butter? I really don't want to have to make it myself but I will if I have to. Yet another chore...I'll never again get to take a bubble bath! There's no time!

#10 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 02:44 PM

in fact there is, but you DON'T want to know how much it costs!
#11 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 03:53 PM

are you talking about rejuvenative foods? Last I looked it was 17.99 (last year). WAY expensive.
#12 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Rejuventaive is raw. What company makes it with soaked almonds?

#13 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Aha! I found some. Raw Guru makes it.

#14 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Ooh! They also have *truly* raw cashews. Look out paypal, here I come!

#15 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 06:13 PM

also pricey $$$ but you can get some soaked and dehydrated at wilderness family naturals too. http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/nut_butter.htm
#16 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 06:52 PM

while googling raw guru I foung the most amazing website... empoweredfoods.com... they have raw chocolate peanutbutter cups made with wild jungle peanuts (I'm sensitive to conventional) and other amazing looking treats. And my sister told me she has a discount code... (drool).
#17 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewater View Post
also pricey $$$ but you can get some soaked and dehydrated at wilderness family naturals too. http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/nut_butter.htm
I wonder what they're going to do once the almond pasteurization goes into effect? I LOVE WFN:
#18 of 27 Old 07-17-2007, 01:05 AM

I need to check out the WFN website...

Also, you might be interested oneluckyduck.com website, they sell raw sprouted nut butters and raw sprouted nuts among other totally delicious snacks (I highly recommend the chocolate macroons, mmm..): http://oneluckyduck.com/index.asp?Pa...ROD&ProdID=252
#19 of 27 Old 07-17-2007, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirited View Post
And i paid $11.00 for raw sesame tahini, so if it's all for naught then I could save a lot of money.
Tahini is SUPER easy to make yourself so save your money! It's basically sesame seeds thrown in the food processor with olive oil and blended till it's a thick pouring consistency! Google tahini recipe and you'll find many variations on that recipe...I roast mine just a little before processing and use it in my homemade hummus...yummy!

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
#20 of 27 Old 07-17-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaoma View Post
I need to check out the WFN website...

Also, you might be interested oneluckyduck.com website, they sell raw sprouted nut butters and raw sprouted nuts among other totally delicious snacks (I highly recommend the chocolate macroons, mmm..): http://oneluckyduck.com/index.asp?Pa...ROD&ProdID=252
have you had their rosemary crackers? They are to DIE for!
#21 of 27 Old 07-17-2007, 03:58 PM

Oooh, I love all Oneluckyduck's stuff. Up until 5 months ago I lived in S. Cal near a Mother's Market, a hfs that caters to rich health nuts (it's near Huntington Beach and Newport Beach) which include a lot of raw foodists. They had SO many interesting raw food treats. I miss it so much! Though my wallet doesn't...
#22 of 27 Old 07-17-2007, 04:58 PM

:

So true! That's what I was thinking when I first tried the macroons -- "I'm going to end up broke because of my raw dessert addiction."

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
have you had their rosemary crackers? They are to DIE for!
Oh no, I haven't tried them yet, will definately get some next time though!
#23 of 27 Old 07-17-2007, 06:15 PM

Those macaroons are amazing! I tried to make them myself, but they weren't anywhere near as good . They also have these cocoa crispy things that have buckwheat groats in them. They are so delicious with raw milk as a breakfast cereal... OK, now I'm going to have to make an order from the website. There is a lot of great food in the SF Bay area, but I haven't found anything quite like Mother's.
#24 of 27 Old 07-17-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeciMami View Post
Tahini is SUPER easy to make yourself so save your money! It's basically sesame seeds thrown in the food processor with olive oil and blended till it's a thick pouring consistency! Google tahini recipe and you'll find many variations on that recipe...I roast mine just a little before processing and use it in my homemade hummus...yummy!
Thanks CeciMami! I am most definitely going to try making my own next time. Same with the rejuvenative foods sauerkraut - it's almost $9 for a little jar and I know I could make it myself easily enough.

If anyone has a recipe for the raw cocoa crispys with buckwheat groats I would LOVE to try to make those! I am going to make NT's kasha casserole next and it will be my first experience with buckwheat groats. I'm off to get them sprouting right now.
#25 of 27 Old 07-17-2007, 08:59 PM

The two extremely beautiful people who run oneluckyduck, just came out with an extremely beautiful book of recipes. While I doubt they're going to give away their product line recipes, it's worth a look. Maybe it will give away secrets that will then unlock the mysteries of how they make their macaroons and cocoa crispies. I saw it at Whole Foods today... next time I go I'm going to spend some time with it...
#26 of 27 Old 08-31-2008, 02:03 PM

Does soaking overnight and roasting (on warm) for 24 hours, almonds, actually "sprout" them?
#27 of 27 Old 08-31-2008, 03:07 PM

I always get roasted because I'm allergic to some raw nuts. Plus, roasted tastes a whole lot better.

What bugs me is that all the nut butter companies think folks who buy alternative nut butters want them with no salt. Yuck. Salt completes the nut flavour. I have to add my own each time and stir it in.

Vent off!

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page