Should I rinse grains after soaking? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-22-2007, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying the soaking method, and I started somee brown rice and rolled kamut soaking last night. The rolled kamut I soaked with water and lemon juice, and the rice with just water. I'd like to cook the kamut now. Do I dump out the soaking water and rinse it before cooking? Is there any disadvantage to just eating it soaked without cooking it?

It seems like if the water draws off the bad components, then you'd want to discard the soaking water and rinse the grain, but that seems like it would be impossible with flour (you'd lose the flour right through the sieve or whatever). So how does that work?

Also, does the water leach out good nutrients along with the phytic acid, etc? Would I be losing vitamins and mineerals by discarding the soaking water and rinsing the grain?

TIA!
#2 of 4 Old 07-22-2007, 04:03 PM

I don't think the water is drawing off bad stuff so much as creating the conditions in which the enzyme phytase is activated which in turn deactivates the anti-nutrient phytic acid. I believe the phytic acid is converted into something else, not just moved from the grain to the water. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's necessary to rinse the grain unless it's quinoa, which has saponins that need removing.

At the risk of telling you something you already know, phytic acid is what prevents seeds from sprouting until it is neutralized by good growing conditions (moisture and warmth).
#3 of 4 Old 07-23-2007, 12:45 AM

I tend to drain the water when I soak rice, but when I am soaking overnight for porridge in the morning, I don't bother draining. I do, however, wash the grains before I soak them if I'm not draining the soaking water. As the pp mentioned, this is particularly important for quinoa because it will taste bitter and disgusting if you don't.

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#4 of 4 Old 07-26-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbchavez View Post
I don't think the water is drawing off bad stuff so much as creating the conditions in which the enzyme phytase is activated which in turn deactivates the anti-nutrient phytic acid. I believe the phytic acid is converted into something else, not just moved from the grain to the water. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's necessary to rinse the grain unless it's quinoa, which has saponins that need removing.
This is correct. The phytic acid doesn't leech out, it is neutralized.

I decide whether or not to drain based off of the recipe I'm doing. If it's savory, I use it as cooking water. If it's sweet, I drain it, rinse, then start fresh, unless the recipe itself calls for lemon juice.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page