Join Date: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All four of us...DH, DD (5), DS (2), and I.
I switched from soymilk (GASP...I know, I know) to raw cow milk shortly before getting pregnant with my second child. That baby started having sips of the cow's milk (while still breastfeeding) probably around 7 months and still enjoy's it.
We also make a lot of yogurt--used with granola, fruit, plain, in smoothies, for soaking and baking.
My method to making yogurt is very simple and uses no special equipment...
* 1/2 gallon raw milk in a big pot
* gently warm to 110 degrees F
* take out a cup or so in a large measuring cup or bowl and whisk in 2 heaping tbsp of yogurt (leftover from last batch or store-bought)
* add back to pot and stir in
* pour into (2) quart-sized jars on cap tightly
* immerse jars up to neck in 110 degree water in a big pot with lid
* wrap in a towel and put in oven for 24 hours (if I need to use oven I just leave pot on the counter until I'm done and then put back in still-warm oven)
* after 24 hours, put in fridge to set for another 12 hours.
Hints...don't stir or shake if you want yogurt to stay firm in jar. Can pour off whey to use for other recipes or keep in the jar. Cream on top can be scooped off to use as sourcream or keep in jar. If house is cold, leave a thermometer in the water and check periodically. If temp goes below 80 degrees, warm the oven a bit to get temp back up to 100.
I'm sure there are lots of steadfast ways to make yogurt...this is mine.
|44 members and 15,848 guests|
|bananabee , BirthFree , bluejanuary , cloa513 , DahliaRW , Dear_Rosemary , Deborah , emmy526 , girlspn , hillymum , Janeen0225 , JElaineB , joandsarah77 , joycef , kathymuggle , larski , lisak1234 , Lucee , mckittre , MeanVeggie , Mirzam , moominmamma , NaturallyKait , newmamalizzy , oaksie68 , philomom , redsally , rubelin , SchoolmarmDE , serenbat , shantimama , Shmootzi , Socks , Springshowers , stephalittle , StillMe , SynergyHorsemanship , thefragile7393 , transpecos , Wild Lupine , zebra15|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 01:21 PM.|