who in your family consumes raw milk? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 08-01-2007, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All of us. My husband and I in everything, my boys in raw milk smoothies and yogurt.

creative mom of two free-spirited boys (03/03, 11/04) : unschooling, nature loving, crafting, making, passion following family ribbonjigsaw.gif
#32 of 44 Old 08-01-2007, 11:51 AM

how do you make your yogurt?

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#33 of 44 Old 08-01-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrietsmama View Post
how do you make your yogurt?
We make it in a yogurt maker, but have been experimenting with not heating it up to the standard 180 degrees on the stove - the last few batches we have tried the slow rise to only 110 degrees. We used a probiotics culture originally, but use some of each subsequent batch as a starter for the next.

We usually make plain yogurt, but also make it with raw honey and vanilla - mmmm.

creative mom of two free-spirited boys (03/03, 11/04) : unschooling, nature loving, crafting, making, passion following family ribbonjigsaw.gif
#34 of 44 Old 08-02-2007, 02:19 AM

Me and hubby drink raw milk. I don't have much of a choice because I can't digest pasteurized milk. I drink kefir on a daily basis and that is delicious.

Q to Joliebebe, I can't find raw butter or cream here but some health stores sell butter imported from France. Can I assume it is unpasteurized? You don't have the compulsory pasteurization laws, do you? I must say that I am very grateful that I can still find a source of raw milk. What a blessing!
#35 of 44 Old 08-02-2007, 11:32 PM

Our whole family drinks it, including our 5 month old dd. She had issues with my bm and I switched her to the wap formula. She has been doing wonderful on the formula. We have never been sick from raw milk, but we know our farmer VERY well. It's my father.
#36 of 44 Old 08-02-2007, 11:53 PM

We all drink it - DS started when he was about 18 mo, just a little and increasing gradually. He drinks some nearly every day now (and is still nursing) and he's 30 months old.

I will continue to drink it while pregnant, no question, no worry.

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#37 of 44 Old 08-04-2007, 12:55 AM

All four of us...DH, DD (5), DS (2), and I.

I switched from soymilk (GASP...I know, I know) to raw cow milk shortly before getting pregnant with my second child. That baby started having sips of the cow's milk (while still breastfeeding) probably around 7 months and still enjoy's it.

We also make a lot of yogurt--used with granola, fruit, plain, in smoothies, for soaking and baking.

My method to making yogurt is very simple and uses no special equipment...

* 1/2 gallon raw milk in a big pot
* gently warm to 110 degrees F
* take out a cup or so in a large measuring cup or bowl and whisk in 2 heaping tbsp of yogurt (leftover from last batch or store-bought)
* add back to pot and stir in
* pour into (2) quart-sized jars on cap tightly
* immerse jars up to neck in 110 degree water in a big pot with lid
* wrap in a towel and put in oven for 24 hours (if I need to use oven I just leave pot on the counter until I'm done and then put back in still-warm oven)
* after 24 hours, put in fridge to set for another 12 hours.
* Enjoy.

Hints...don't stir or shake if you want yogurt to stay firm in jar. Can pour off whey to use for other recipes or keep in the jar. Cream on top can be scooped off to use as sourcream or keep in jar. If house is cold, leave a thermometer in the water and check periodically. If temp goes below 80 degrees, warm the oven a bit to get temp back up to 100.

I'm sure there are lots of steadfast ways to make yogurt...this is mine.
#38 of 44 Old 08-04-2007, 01:16 PM

Here is a link to some interesting statistics:

http://www.realmilk.com/foodborne.html

In 1994, 104 people got sick with e-coli from pasteurized milk!
#39 of 44 Old 08-05-2007, 06:17 PM

thanks for the recipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightinvt View Post
All four of us...DH, DD (5), DS (2), and I.

I switched from soymilk (GASP...I know, I know) to raw cow milk shortly before getting pregnant with my second child. That baby started having sips of the cow's milk (while still breastfeeding) probably around 7 months and still enjoy's it.

We also make a lot of yogurt--used with granola, fruit, plain, in smoothies, for soaking and baking.

My method to making yogurt is very simple and uses no special equipment...

* 1/2 gallon raw milk in a big pot
* gently warm to 110 degrees F
* take out a cup or so in a large measuring cup or bowl and whisk in 2 heaping tbsp of yogurt (leftover from last batch or store-bought)
* add back to pot and stir in
* pour into (2) quart-sized jars on cap tightly
* immerse jars up to neck in 110 degree water in a big pot with lid
* wrap in a towel and put in oven for 24 hours (if I need to use oven I just leave pot on the counter until I'm done and then put back in still-warm oven)
* after 24 hours, put in fridge to set for another 12 hours.
* Enjoy.

Hints...don't stir or shake if you want yogurt to stay firm in jar. Can pour off whey to use for other recipes or keep in the jar. Cream on top can be scooped off to use as sourcream or keep in jar. If house is cold, leave a thermometer in the water and check periodically. If temp goes below 80 degrees, warm the oven a bit to get temp back up to 100.

I'm sure there are lots of steadfast ways to make yogurt...this is mine.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#40 of 44 Old 08-08-2007, 04:54 PM

me and my 2 1/2 dd drink it. My dd started drinking a little after one I think. I drank it all throughout my pregnancy and never had a worry, although I had a great cow-share. I just make sure my farmer has a clean milking procedure, clean farm (well as clean as you can be with cow poo everywhere ) and healthy cows eating healthy food.

I can't think of ever going back, I would rather not have any than drink passturiezed factory farm.
#41 of 44 Old 08-08-2007, 11:11 PM

My whole family-me, hsb., and both kids (9 and 5). Kids also love raw goats milk! Neither child tolerates "strore-bought" milk, but both have never had a single problem with raw-don't know why, but I'm OK with it.
#42 of 44 Old 08-09-2007, 03:53 AM

We just started raw cow's milk. My dh and I both drink it. I'm going to start dd on it probably when she is 18 months old (but will give her raw goat's milk first). I would definitely drink it while pregnant.
#43 of 44 Old 08-10-2007, 11:48 PM

Everyone in my house does. The 20 month old started drinking it when we did, he was about 8 months old then.

Tessa, mama to M (93) B(94) T (05) G (08) and waiting for the arrival of ? on 10/23
#44 of 44 Old 08-11-2007, 07:09 PM

Both me & my hubby. I'm pregnant, and when baby comes, raw milk products will be totally allowed for the little one in our house too (once we're done breast-feeding, that is!). I am careful, though, not to talk to too many people about this - though I believe in what we're doing, I don't like hearing the "BUT WHAT ABOUT LISTERIA?? WHAT ABOUT E.COLI??" It gets very tiring. But we both love it, and feel good on it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page