What do you soak your muesli in? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-04-2007, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking about starting to eat muesli for breakfast, but wondering what to soak it in. I don't have raw milk, so no whey ... would regular yogurt work, in terms of neutralizing the phytates. And would it be OK to eat after being out on the counter all night?

42-year-old mama to DS (5) and DD (3)
#2 of 5 Old 08-06-2007, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Bump ... Anyone soaking muesli out there??

42-year-old mama to DS (5) and DD (3)
#3 of 5 Old 08-07-2007, 05:41 AM

DH soaked his muesli in once. It was fine to eat, but he didn't like the texture after it soaked for so long. I think it would do the trick as far as getting rid of phytates. I was looking for a muesli recipe long ago and googled it. If I remember right one recipe for Swiss muesli called for muesli to be soaked in yogurt overnight and then you add milk the next day.
#4 of 5 Old 08-07-2007, 08:08 PM

I never thought, surprisingly,to add yogurt:
I do , however, soak in milk the night before, and put in the fridge before I go to bed. I sometimes add cream. Raw milk and cream of course.

I find the texture great for babies or young toddlers. I used to blend it up in a baby food processor when they were younger. I sometimes add maple syrup before we eat it.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#5 of 5 Old 08-07-2007, 10:37 PM

Yes yogurt/water will work.

I've soaked oatmeal plus additions (=muesli, right?) in water with store-bought, pasteurized yogurt added or water with whey added or soured milk or soured cream with water.

I've never had a problem soaking with a dairy product overnight. Raw diary will sour, not rot when left out so you will need to compensate for the sour flavor with some sort of sweetener.

I cover the bowl with a plate to keep any bugs out.

Yesterday I made oatmeal with soured cream (about 3/4 c cream to 1/4 c water for soak) and then cooked with 1/2 c water (not 1 c like NT b/c my boys like thicker oatmeal). I heated up the water with about 1/4 c chopped dried apricot pieces and some stevia and then added frozen blueberries when it was cooked (helped to cool it for the boys, too). It turned a gorgeous pink/purple color and tasted like blueberry pie...mmm

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page