GF girls need to hear some oppinions please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-10-2007, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK I have the all time great mental debate going. I am still pretty new at being GF. I have also switched one of my kids to GF, and we have decided that we feel so much better this way that we aren't going back. Now there is the need to stock GF stuff for us as soon as we get the chance. But, there is the push to buy local vs buying from those who can assure me that the products that I'm going to buy to use are actually GF. I would love to go to places like the local Asian market to buy stuff but between the fact that I don't know what the non US standards are for what qualifies as GF and the fact that the labels have minimal if anything written in English leaves me wary of that option. But, then that leaves me driving pretty far distances to get some of the stuff I'd like to be using (so factoring in the gas can nix the possible savings) or ordering online and at that then you have to factor in shipping.

UG! I hate making choices like this! I basically live in a little town about 20min from the college town that has the Asian market etc. What would others in my position do? For the time being Dh is also the driver as well. I'm hoping that we can finally change that in the spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2007, 05:49 PM

I'll tell you what I do. I buy certain things at my local Asian market. I buy tapioca starch and potato starch (also called potato powder) and arrowroot powder. All of these are so much cheaper than at a HFS and we've never had any problems with gluten. One of my dd's is incredibly sensitive, so if she doesn't react, it's not there. I'll occasionally buy rice noodles there, though we prefer tinkyada brand from the HFS. I also buy Jasmine Brown Rice--it's wonderful.

I'll also buy things like sesame oil and such from the Asian market.

Other than that, we buy either on-line or at our HFS. It depends on what you're going to buy, as to how much you'd need to worry about gluten contamination, I think. I stay away from processed stuff, due the labelling issues and also cause it's processed. I don't know if that's helpful at all or not.

Good luck being GF--it's helped our family so much!
Old 08-11-2007, 01:27 AM

Going gf is one of the most important lifestyle choices I have ever made. I hpoe it will be for you as well. I remember a huge learning curve in the beginning and then feeling so settled in and happy with it. I felt a huge shift in my thinking about being gluten free when I stopped focusing on replacing gluten-containing foods with gf ones and started instead focusing on eating lots of veggies and fruits and whole, unprocessed gf grains.

My strategy on affording to be gf is simply to avoid processed/packaged food. We avoid most grain and flour products, basing our diet mostly on vegetables, fruits, and healthy meats along with beans and lentils. I buy flour, grains, and processed products so rarely that we can afford to buy them in bulk at the hfs (like the pp, dd is very sensitive to gluten and she doesn't react to the things I get there, so I feel pretty confident that they're safe). This works especially well during the summertime when we mostly shop at farmer's markets and eat tons of produce.

I also plan meals out a week or two in advance and shop around those plans. That way, if I know money is going to be tight, I can focus on inexpensive meals and if we have a little more money then I can stock up on more expensive things at the hfs. Another thing that helps with this is trying to buy meats in bulk, like a side of beef once per year and free range chickens when they are on good sales. Then I plan meals around what's in my freezer. Also eating vegetarian (still NT friendly, but meatless) several days per week helps as well. (We do alot of sprouted bean dishes, like black beans and rice, garbanzo beans in curry, lentils with sauteed vegetables.)
Old 08-11-2007, 01:15 PM

I'm GFCF, and I'm in the middle of nowhere. I'm also canary-in-a-coal-mine sensitive to gluten, both in food and in environment. I also can't drive due to disability- I sitll have diziness spells attached to my gut damage and other things that make me feel like it isn't safe for me to drive.

Here's what I do. I buy what I have to from Wal-mart for produce and any emergency supplies- their house brand is marked GF where appropriate. That's my only option for being able to have anything fresh in the house on weeks we don't go to the major city and my husband doesn't go there for his job. No egg, please, between my disability and health problems I'm dependant on others to shop for me most of the time, and that's my only option. I really don't like it, either.

I found a UNFI group in the big city. You can get a discounted price on gluten-free items through them. I believe it's www.unitedbuyingclubs.com That's a once a month thing- they have a set schedule where they do a food drop once every 4 weeks to your location. That's also when he goes to Trader Joes, Whole Foods, or anywhere else in the big city (my husband makes these runs, as I'm not able to leave the house most days).

Finally, Amazon.com has some really good prices on GF stuff and the shipping is free for a lot of things.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:00 PM

I found it quite hard when we first switched to gfcf especially with children who have enormous appetites. I make most things from scratch. I found making large portions and freezing extra(s) really helps. Also keep in mind that there are many hidden sources of gluten. For many years, I heard that few people in the autistic circles were truly gfcf. Eating in a restaurant unless you are eating in a raw restaurant, it would be pretty hard to have a meal that is 100% uncontimated by gluten or other things like MSG.

I'm actually fine not eating bread or bread type products for a while, but dh is a total bread and cereal monkey.....I struggle to keep up with him more than the kids. (and I actually think he needs to try gut healing just as much or more)

I have seen studies that show that some celiacs are fine with sourdough bread (I would assume that would have to be old fashioned sourdough made properly....not the mass produced stuff in the stores) I think it is better to do gut healing before trying that.

I think part of the 'epidemic' problem with gluten in North America is partly related to overuse (especially with it hidden in everything) I have a couple of Japanese friends who have severe problems with rice and this is an 'epidemic' problem in Japan......it may also be related to several generations having shifted away from more traditional types of cooking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann View Post
I'm GFCF, and I'm in the middle of nowhere. I'm also canary-in-a-coal-mine sensitive to gluten, both in food and in environment. I also can't drive due to disability- I sitll have diziness spells attached to my gut damage and other things that make me feel like it isn't safe for me to drive.
Hope continued healing brings about the ability to drive and go out more. Depending of where you live fall/winter may bring help with different air quality.

I can relate to loneliness and isolation after having moved several times in the last 3 years and yet another one coming up soon, sigh!
Old 08-11-2007, 06:32 PM

[QUOTE=westcoastmom;8871994]

I think part of the 'epidemic' problem with gluten in North America is partly related to overuse (especially with it hidden in everything) I have a couple of Japanese friends who have severe problems with rice and this is an 'epidemic' problem in Japan......it may also be related to several generations having shifted away from more traditional types of cooking.
QUOTE]

I just read that wheat today has about 100x more gluten in it than wheat did around 1900. I think that may be a huge part of the epidemic problem, too. I read this is a Rodale Press book about Gluten Sensitivity and Celiac. Can't remember the name at the moment. :

User Tag List