How many of you took high-vitamin CLO during pregnancy? Reassure me please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-11-2007, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How many of you mamas out there took high-vitamin CLO while pregnant?

I've been taking Dr. Ron's (before that, Blue Ice - same thing, I know) - and I've had an AMAZING pregnancy so far - no morning sickness, and generally feeling high-energy and great. I attribute that in large part to my mostly traditional diet, & the raw milk products & CLO that I consumed pre-pregnancy and ongoing.

BUT, someone today got me worrying a little bit about how safe the CLO is (I know! You shouldn't talk to anyone with an opinion on fish & mercury while pregnant! )...so I figured this was a good place to turn for reassurance!

SO: you mamas who did this while pregnant (and especially if you continue to dose your little ones on these non-mainstream high-vitamin brands) - please reassure me that everything turned out totally fine with your sweet little healthy perfectly-formed babies? (I'm sure, but I want to hear it!!!)

Thanks...
#2 of 18 Old 08-11-2007, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I took Blue Ice while pg with Ds (before that I took NN, but I've had MUCH better results with Blue Ice..) I give all of my kids Blue Ice, including Ds, so he gets some through my milk & some right off the spoon. IMO, he's brilliant. He's hit all milestones ahead of "schedule" & is a very healthy (& quite big - tall & solid) baby. My Dds are also very smart & healthy (IMHO!)

Try not to worry.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#3 of 18 Old 08-11-2007, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much metasequoia. I feel so great taking it that it's hard to believe it wouldn't be great for me & baby. But it's nice to hear all the same!

(I know, the worry thing's a bear - don't want to get into the round-robin "Agh! I'm worrying! Worry is bad for the baby!" thing...ok, I won't worry. I will just TRUST! Believe it or not, even though I hope other mamas will write in with the same story, your reply is really all I needed to hear to calm down!)

Oh - and if you don't mind sharing - how much did you take? (I currently take 1 tsp in the morning, and sometimes add .25 - .5 tsp in the evening if I feel like it. I know some people say 2 tsp but I haven't worked myself up to that yet!)
#4 of 18 Old 08-11-2007, 07:41 PM

I take the Blue Ice capsules (I can't tolerate the taste of the liquid especially while I'm pregnant). My DS, who is almost two, gets the cinnamon flavor therapeutics (CLO + butter oil). He licks it off a spoon or I drip it into his mouth from the dropper. He gets so excited when I tell him it's time for his vitamins
#5 of 18 Old 08-11-2007, 07:47 PM

Cinnamon......i will have to try and find that.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#6 of 18 Old 08-11-2007, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

I take the cinnamon - I really like it! Not even vaguely fishy.
#7 of 18 Old 08-11-2007, 08:21 PM

So does the cinnamon just taste like cinnamon? No fish taste at all

I got scared off of flavors after trying the mint which was awful. Oops sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

I have seen written testimonials of people who took CLO and butter oil during pregnancy and they said it was hugely beneficial. Some of the testimonials I saw were from people who went with larger amounts.....so, not to worry.

Also toxins, mercury are not stored in the liver.

As for eating fish, I know NT recommends that fish with safer levels are ok; but from everything I have read, I wouldn't trust any of them. I know one mom whose child had mercury levels higher than any the hospital had ever seen and had only consumed 'safe' fish. (The parents levels were fine and the house/environment tested fine too)
#8 of 18 Old 08-11-2007, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hi westcoastmom, I guess there might be a vague, vague something behind the cinnamon - but for us, it's a HUGE improvement over the regular. We got kind of used to the regular, but even so, I never took it gladly. The cinnamon is totally tolerable. It's a slight cinnamon flavor, not overwhelming. I just checked with my husband - he said he wouldn't describe it as fishy at all.

Didn't know that, about mercury & toxins not being stored in the liver - I guess that makes sense, though, since it's a filter, huh? That's good to hear.

(And re: your friend - eeeeeeeek!!! Did she eat fish OFTEN? That's kind of terrifying to hear...out of curiosity, when did they test their son for mercury? Was it post-vaccinations - did they think that could have had anything to do with it, because of the thimoseral? That's an odd and awful story. I definitely don't trust NT's fish suggestions; they say that swordfish is ok, and it's proven to be very high in toxins! But I do eat genuinely wild Alaskan salmon about once every week/week & a half (we order from Vital Choice - they claim on their site that their fish tests VERY VERY low in toxins, and I've trusted that) - and wild sable about once a month, and sardines, also from Vital Choice. Sardines are supposed to be fine since they're too small to gather up much mercury - I was thinking of eating only sardines from now on, anyway). But yikes! Yay! Something new to worry about! )
#9 of 18 Old 08-11-2007, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We use the "Oslo Orange" Blue Ice - some people love orange & hate cinnamon vice versa, everyone's tastes are so different.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#10 of 18 Old 08-11-2007, 09:46 PM

In terms of contamination, all the good brands (including Blue Ice, of course) use a purification process to remove the toxins, and they also test to be sure. And FWIW, I'm super, super sensitive to mercury, and cannot eat any fish without symptoms, but I have no symptoms from CLO (I've taken both Carlson's and Blue Ice).

I took 2 Tbs./day of Carlson's during my 2nd pregnancy. The pregnancy went well, as did the birth. He's a very healthy baby. I'm now taking Blue Ice, as is my 6 yo. The baby just gets it through my milk, but when he's old enough, he'll be taking it.

You're doing the right thing for you and your baby by taking the CLO and eating a traditional diet!

Christie ~ proud Mama to : 5/01, and : 3/07; and proud wife to my since 1992. We have 13 and 2 : It's looking more and more like either a farm or a zoo around here.
#11 of 18 Old 08-11-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph117 View Post
Hi westcoastmom, I guess there might be a vague, vague something behind the cinnamon - but for us, it's a HUGE improvement over the regular. We got kind of used to the regular, but even so, I never took it gladly. The cinnamon is totally tolerable. It's a slight cinnamon flavor, not overwhelming. I just checked with my husband - he said he wouldn't describe it as fishy at all.
Thanks, I will order some for my husband. The kids and I are fine with plain....in fact, they will come running to get it.

[/QUOTE](And re: your friend - eeeeeeeek!!! Did she eat fish OFTEN? That's kind of terrifying to hear...out of curiosity, when did they test their son for mercury? Was it post-vaccinations - did they think that could have had anything to do with it, because of the thimoseral? That's an odd and awful story. [/QUOTE]

It is an awful story. She was tested just before she turned 2, and she first had fish at 17 months, altho they ate fish frequently (which is not uncommon for Asians). She only had the first set of vaccines, which they said couldn't even begin to explain the mercury levels. Routine blood tests that had been done by family doctor showed levels that were so dangerously low that the little girl was in danger of dying, so the doctor phoned and said they needed to take her straight to Children's Hospital. There they ran a bunch of different tests, and the one amiss (seriously amiss) was the mercury.

I guess the best suggestion for diet is variety and moderation.
#12 of 18 Old 08-12-2007, 12:55 AM

LOTS of CLO and a wonderfully healthy, very happy, good natured baby. Sleeps great, too! Very strong from the get go with great head control. So don't fret!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#13 of 18 Old 08-12-2007, 09:30 PM

Not to hijack the thread, but I am already thinking ahead to pregnancy as well (even though it's probably a few years off for us) and long term health. DH and I have been taking Carlson's Super 1,000 mg gelcaps for the past 6 months. Does anyone know if these are ideal or if there is anything wrong with them? I read some of the Zone Diet and how much he advises proper fish oil but warns against unrefined fish oil. I can't yet tolerate the liquid (but I had the lemon-mint Garden of Life stuff- yuck!) and DH doesn't like fish so surely would not do anything other than capsules.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#14 of 18 Old 08-12-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolelynn View Post
DH and I have been taking Carlson's Super 1,000 mg gelcaps for the past 6 months. Does anyone know if these are ideal or if there is anything wrong with them?
Carlson's is bleached deodorized, then synthetic vitamins, soy, and vitamin E are added. Having had Carlsons, Nordic Naturals before starting Green Pastures HVCLO, I would never go back to NN or Carlsons. There is no comparison. We saw no health benefits with them, but we do see benefits from HVCLO.
#15 of 18 Old 08-13-2007, 08:51 AM

I am taking a tsp of Blue Ice and I am, for the time being anyway, newly pregnant.
#16 of 18 Old 08-13-2007, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your feedback, everyone! This is GREAT to hear!
#17 of 18 Old 08-13-2007, 08:33 PM

well i won't be able to tell you how my baby is for another week or two (i'm 39 weeks pregnant) but my pregnancy has gone great and baby is healthy and very strong in utero. even my midwife is surprised at how strongly she pushes away her (the mw's) hands during an exam. my almost 2yo ds takes clo too (through breastmilk since 4mo and straight since 12mo) and he is very healthy and smart and beautiful. imho anyway... well i don't know any other almost 2yo's who can count to six and know the alphabet. do we have a bragging smilie?

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#18 of 18 Old 08-14-2007, 02:27 AM

i took blue ice cod liver oil (and high vitamin butter oil) all through my pregnancy and continue to take it. my son also takes it now from the spoon. we had an amazing birth -- he is healthy, happy, physically perfect and very smart. i will definitely continue to take it with future pregnancies. you're doing the right thing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page