lead-free crock pot? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 08-17-2007, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i know this has been asked a million times but i can't seem to locate it. which crock pots are known to be lead-free? tia!
#2 of 23 Old 08-17-2007, 09:52 AM

There is lead in crockpots? I thought they were just ceramic.
#3 of 23 Old 08-17-2007, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I researched this to death last winter:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=583529

I LOVE my Hamilton Beach Stay or Go!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#4 of 23 Old 08-17-2007, 10:44 AM

How have I missed this concept until today?

I'd be the first person to tell you all about the lead in the glaze on bathtubs...

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#5 of 23 Old 08-17-2007, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

thanks! i just ordered the hamilton beach one!
#6 of 23 Old 08-17-2007, 12:25 PM

OMG this pisses me off!!! : I use our Rival crockpot ALL the time! I had no clue this was a problem and figured because it was enamel instead of nonstick it was completely safe. I just bought it like 6 months ago too!

Honestly though I don't believe any of them are 100% lead free so I'm thinking I may quit using slowcookers We have too many issues with my dd being very sensitive and I just can't take chances with something known to have lead in it.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#7 of 23 Old 08-17-2007, 01:00 PM

I a Corningware 7 qt slow cooker that I love because the crock can be used separately to bake in the oven.

Corningware advertises their products as lead free. They also have a patent for lead free cadmium free frits http://wikipatents.com/5149565.html

There are lead testers available. We tested all our dishes and they were mostly ok, but I have a friend who had to get rid of a whole bunch of stuff, and some of it was more expensive stuff.
#8 of 23 Old 08-17-2007, 01:13 PM

Ok so I just looked at my crockpot and its actually a "Crockpot" brand. I could have sworn that I bought the Rival one Anyway, does anyone know about the glaze on those?

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#9 of 23 Old 08-17-2007, 07:59 PM
AJP

I think "Crockpot" is the Rival brand, it's their trademark name. Not totally sure, though.

I wish someone would make a slow cooker with a tempered glass (Pyrex) insert, then we could be sure there's no lead in the glaze, because there wouldn't be a glaze at all. I've never seen one, though. Anyone else? Glass lids I've seen, but not the whole cooking vessel. It makes sense to me, you can cook with Pyrex in the oven, so I don't see why it wouldn't work in a slow cooker.

There is no secret ingredient.
#10 of 23 Old 08-17-2007, 11:04 PM

Ooooo, glass would be ideal!

Yes, "Crockpot" is Rival's - the actual term is "slow cooker" & "crockpot" is the brand of slow cooker made by Rival. And yes, the glaze contains lead.

Another reason I love my Stay or Go is that I can stuff a big chicken in it, push the lid on & clamp it down whereas if there were no clamps, the lid would be floating a couple of inches from the rim.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#11 of 23 Old 08-17-2007, 11:56 PM

Just when I thought that here was a way of preparing stuff that I didn't have to worry about.

Now I'll have to look for a corningware one or something.

Yeah, pyrex would be ideal!

So, does stoneware have this glaze too? I pretty much only have stainless steel, cast iron and pyrex. Oh and a few enamel pans (like these!), from the camping section of the store. I hope those are ok, they are so low maintenance.
#12 of 23 Old 08-18-2007, 01:33 AM
Bia

I've been using my crockpot liner for a dog water dish. I can't remember what brand it is and I can't find the rest of it to check. Anyway, does anyone know... how does the lead leach out? does it matter whether it is hot or cold? and I'm wondering if it matters that the water never has a chance to sit more than a few hours (refilled often). So far I have quit using the plastic dog water bowl, the cheap aluminum pot... and now I'm worried about lead in the glaze. for crying out loud!
TIA for any answers!
#13 of 23 Old 08-18-2007, 02:13 AM

Good God, is there anything that doesn't have lead in it these days? I need to go check our handed-down slow cooker. I might need to buy a new one.
#14 of 23 Old 08-18-2007, 03:30 AM

Sheesh! Leave my poor lead filled crockpot alone! Seriously though, where does one get a lead tester? I have two crocks (made a killer chicken tomatillo soup today) and want to test their levels. They're both Rival brand, but since no money is to be had, I just want to make sure that, if there IS any lead, that it's next to nothing...otherwise I'll have to give up slow cookin' for a while! (NOOOOOOOOOO....say it isn't soooooooo!!!!! ) (can you tell I'm addicted to my crockpot lifestyle? In fact, if there were a crockpot smiley...it would be in my sig!)

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
#15 of 23 Old 08-18-2007, 04:00 PM

Is the lead on the INSIDE, the part that touches the food?

:

You can't win for losing!
#16 of 23 Old 08-18-2007, 04:13 PM

Alright THAT IS IT! I've had it! Who wants to start a commune with me??? Only vintage cast iron allowed.

And I am literally not kidding you, my "whole chicken with vegetables" (all purchased this a.m. at the organic/local farmer's market) is 3 hours from being done.

:
#17 of 23 Old 08-18-2007, 04:13 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#18 of 23 Old 08-18-2007, 04:15 PM

p.s., how much lead are we talking here? :
#19 of 23 Old 08-18-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post

Now I'll have to look for a corningware one or something.
Corningware contains lead, I emailed them last December, here's their response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coringware
Our specifications are that stoneware products and glazes are made of clay-based materials and glazes used throughout the industry. Decorations, if present, are made from low-lead enamels and fired at temperatures exceeding 1000 degrees F, which binds any heavy metals both physically and chemically so that their release is minimized.

Please note that to satisfy requirements concerning consumer warnings on packaging at time of sale and/or advertisement in the state of California (so-called California Proposition 65), only traces of heavy metals (including lead) are permitted. The current limit for presence of leachable lead in order to satisfy California requirements is no more than 0.100 ppm (1 tenth of one part per million) when obtained under test conditions. At no time have our results exceeded those which are permissible under the guidelines mentioned above (which are believed to be the most stringent in the world). Also note that tests for the presence of heavy metals are conducted for World Kitchen by internationally certified, third-party laboratories under strict conditions, by trained technicians, and using atomic absorption spectrophotometry analysis following carefully monitored preparation. These steps are necessary to minimize any possibility of contamination or false reading during preparation, testing or analysis.
Here's the response from Crockpot (Rival) also from last December ('06):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockpot/Rival
Hello ,
I have just received your email and would like to thank you for writing. the liner is made of ceramic and The glaze is made of silica flour, clay, feldspar, something called “frit”, and a few minerals. These are ground up mixed, in specific quantities, with water. The resulting slurry is sprayed onto the pot (or the pot is dipped in it) and it is fired in the kiln at or around 1200-1600 degrees. It all melts together on the outside of the pot and basically turns into a type of glass. The FDA specifies allowable amounts of lead, cadmium and other substances. All of the glazes that we use meet or exceed FDA requirements.
Here's Salton/Farberware's lovely response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farberware
Thank you for your email regarding our slow cookers. We do not have the information you have requested. Sorry for the inconvenience but these are made over seas and we don not know if the liners contain lead or cadmium.
:

#20 of 23 Old 08-22-2007, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So can the lead leach out after the glaze has been fired at 1200+ degrees?

Is it safer to use a plastic or nylon disposable crock pot liner?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#21 of 23 Old 08-22-2007, 08:54 PM

Gack! Ugh! Oof!

This makes me so angry!

I've become Anti-Lead Activist Numero Uno around here, and I felt like I had considered everything. I'm a total nut, and people tell me so, and I'm okay with that. I just want the lead out.

Why did I never think of my slow cooker? Why?

My big one is a West Bend, which is supposed to be safe. My little one is Kitchen Gourmet--anyone know about that?

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#22 of 23 Old 08-23-2007, 02:53 AM

welldone! since you're the Anti-Lead Activist Numero Uno, teach me how to test my crocks for lead! (did you see my thread about the VitaClay?)

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
#23 of 23 Old 08-23-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockpot/Rival
I have just received your email and would like to thank you for writing. the liner is made of ceramic and The glaze is made of silica flour, clay, feldspar, something called “frit”, and a few minerals. These are ground up mixed, in specific quantities, with water. The resulting slurry is sprayed onto the pot (or the pot is dipped in it) and it is fired in the kiln at or around 1200-1600 degrees. It all melts together on the outside of the pot and basically turns into a type of glass. The FDA specifies allowable amounts of lead, cadmium and other substances. All of the glazes that we use meet or exceed FDA requirements.
I don't see where that says it *does* contain lead or other heavy metals. I read that to mean that there could theoretically be trace lead in the components, but that lead is not added in "approved" amounts like some other manufacturers may do.

It's a pretty vague answer, but I have to admit... compared to a generation ago when we had cars spewing lead at the side of the highway and lead paint on our windowsills, if this is the only place where I'm being regularly exposed today, I'm not freaking out about it. Yeah, I'd buy a lead free pot if I could afford to replace mine. But the idea of replacing a fairly new pot just doesn't seem environmentally just or practical to me in context.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page