Sardines? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2007, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have about 5 packages of sardines in my pantry. Problem is I've never had sardines in my life So what the heck do I do with them? Anyone have any ideas especially for a 3 year old?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2007, 01:21 AM

Some people like them made like tuna salad. Since the whole mayo thing though...

I like mine mashed (bones too, for the minerals) and mixed with minced onions. Not the kind of lunch where you go kiss your DH afterwards but it's quite filling in many ways, especially with good bread.

I am not too partial to the kind in tomato sauce but some of my friends swear by it. I like the ones in olive oil best.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:27 AM

DH puts them on bread whole and eats them that way, or eats them with a salad. I prefer to mash mine on bread.

DS (almost 2) will happily eat them if we give them to him whole, I think he likes how they are cute little fish. Have you tried just giving one to your three year old?
Old 08-19-2007, 04:05 AM

I like to eat them with a fork

I've loved sardines since I was a kid though.

I also like them mixed with tomato sauce and on spaghetti squash.

YUMMY
Old 08-19-2007, 11:44 AM

I get the kind in olive oil. Just put them on a plate, douse them in raspberry vinegar and eat them. Yum.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:52 AM

I used to eat them over at my grandparents house on crackers with mustard on top
Old 08-19-2007, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'd have to mash them. DD is in that stage where if it looks weird it is gross. She is so anti fish right now. Guess I didn't serve it enough when she was younger and eating it right up.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:49 PM

I LOVE the sardines in mustard--just smoosh and serve on bread or crackers. yummy!
Old 08-21-2007, 02:18 AM

I LOVE sardines....always have (Thank you MOM!).

I can eat them straight out of the can, and that is how I do it now. I used to eat them on saltine crackers...yum! But I can't really do crackers anymore , so it is straight out of the can for me.

My DS1 used to love them the same way, now won't touch them. DS2 is liking them, I just have to keep him going on them.

Kathleen

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 05:30 AM

I like the kind in olive oil... then put a little bit of those big chunks of celtic salt (i like coarse) and maybe some cayenne pepper.. and eat with kim chi! yum
Old 08-24-2007, 04:43 AM

My DH grew up eating sardines in Thailand, and I've slowly learned to love them. I like the kind in tomato sauce with chili the best- they seem the least "fishy" to me. I'm not a fan of the ones soaked just in oil, but if I drain the oil off and add some salt, I can eat them on a cracker. I haven't tried cooking anything else with them :

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
Old 08-24-2007, 09:45 PM

You sometimes can find sardines packed in water. They taste like tuna.

But as soon as my Dollar store started getting these, it stopped.

I mixed them with mayonnaise. My WFS has three kinds of mayonnaise and I get the one based on safflower oil. It doesn't have soy.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:53 PM

I feed them to my cats. It's less processed than most canned cat food, depending on the brands.

Aven
Old 09-02-2007, 04:07 PM

I have a memory of really liking sardines when I was very young- like before age 5. Infact, they were the only fish I liked. I, too liked how they were little fish. We ate them straight out of the can. My Mom would just open the can and her, my brother and I would wolf them down whole.

Then I suddenly stopped liking them and haven't tried them since. I need to again.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I mix them up with salad and add lots of garlic powder. I've never tried the kind in olive oil; I've only eaten the kind in tomato sauce.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 09-02-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker View Post
I used to eat them over at my grandparents house on crackers with mustard on top
Yeah, like that. With or without mustard. A drop of hot sauce on them. Or not.

You could marinate them with some onion, balsamic vinegar, mustard, olive oil, capers, parsley. Then put them on crackers.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:46 PM

This thread has totally inspired me to eat some sardines.
You guys shoulda seen the look DH gave me when I opened the can. The cat wouldn't leave me alone until I gave her some too. Ah fun times.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:33 PM

I was inspired by this thread to buy some at WF. I got the kind in tomato sauce since I've tried the kind in olive oil and was less than impressed. I wish I was given them as a child so I would like them now! I'm figuring out how to eat the new package. Maybe over brown rice noodles with tomato sauce? Hmmm.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticat View Post
I have about 5 packages of sardines in my pantry. Problem is I've never had sardines in my life So what the heck do I do with them? Anyone have any ideas especially for a 3 year old?
Feed them to your cat :
Old 09-02-2007, 09:52 PM

On a side note Dr David Williams said that the Blue Galleon Sardines are the best brand to eat.

Cant remember his reasons off hand.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:36 PM

What about kipper snacks? I remember eating these all the time as a kid. I loved them.

I just wondered if they are as good for you. I might be able to eat them, since I don't think they look as much like little fish.

Jamie

Mama to monkey #1 , monkey #2 , and new little monkey #3 . I am always :yawning and making lots of
Old 09-03-2007, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
in grad school, my officemate and i would get the canned fish (sardines, kippers, anchovies, you name it - we went systematically through the selection at the local grocery store). and that was our Monday afternoon snack. we agreed that the only one we didnt' care for much was the octopus (or maybe it was squid or cuttlefish?) in ink. blech.

as for sardines... a nice romaine lettuce salad with chunks of roasted red pepper, capers along with chunks of sardines... dressing is olive oil, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, garlic... i got it from Dr Weil's site (but darned if i can find it now).

now, if you're really lucky, you'll find sprats. these are from northern baltic region of europe and are hard to find. super duper tasty with hard boiled eggs and sourdough rye bread. caution - sprats are similar to anchovies (esp with regard to saltiness) but are slightly bigger and better tasting. the bones, if i recall correctly, are just a little too hard to eat.

mmm and then there's pickled herring. more sourdough rye, some sour cream and boiled potatoes to accompany these stinky fish.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 09-03-2007, 11:12 AM

Aaahhh!! Sprats!!! Thank you.

I live just 20 minutes from Kiel in northern Germany and every year that have "Kieler Sprotte" season. I've just figured out from your post that the english for sprotte is sprats.

Can't say I care for them though, nor can I get into the herrings here (called matjes). It's herrings galore in this country when all I want at the supermarket is a tin of nice red salmon.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Aren't those little dried fish you can get a bag of at the Asian markets sardines? Those are really great fried in coconut oil and salted. They are crisp like chips.

User Tag List