A GFCF TF Holiday - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 08-31-2007, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How's that for a string of initials?

This will be my first holiday doing GFCF and low-corn where I'm doing all of the cooking. I've got the turkey down-pat and don't need any help on that, but I'm struggling with the rest of the meal.

Our traditional dressing is corn-based, and I can't handle at lot of corn at once or I get sick. I'm trying to avoid bread-based dressings and stuffings. And I'm trying to avoid it being a high-carb meal.

Does anyone have any suggestions for foods that can be served with roast turkey that are GFCF? I need ideas for both Christmas and Thanksgiving.

THANKS!!

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#2 of 61 Old 08-31-2007, 07:10 PM

Does that stand for "gluten-free, corn-free"?
#3 of 61 Old 08-31-2007, 07:34 PM

Last year I used a dressing made of a mix of wild rice, brown rice, herbs, apples and dried fruit. It was super yummy. I also served lots of vegetable sides and mashed yams with sorghum syrup which was also pretty tasty.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#4 of 61 Old 08-31-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
Does that stand for "gluten-free, corn-free"?
I believe she means gluten-free, casein-free???

I'm taking notes. Right now we are no corn, GFCF here, and I hadn't even thought about the holidays! Do you put your turkey secrets on your website? :

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#5 of 61 Old 08-31-2007, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, GFCF is gluten and casein free. The corn would be an extra "C".

The turkey secrets will be in the menu mailer for the weeks of Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'll be doing full holiday meals on the mailer that week.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#6 of 61 Old 08-31-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny View Post
Last year I used a dressing made of a mix of wild rice, brown rice, herbs, apples and dried fruit. It was super yummy. I also served lots of vegetable sides and mashed yams with sorghum syrup which was also pretty tasty.
Could you post the recipe for the dressing? : It sounds fantastic!

BTW, what's sorghum?
#7 of 61 Old 08-31-2007, 11:17 PM

I second the rice-based dressing! Also, how about roasted root vegetables? Mashed yams sound awesome, or butternut or acorn squash? I love my squash baked open side down on a baking sheet, then mashed together with butter (coconut oil could sub?), salt, pepper, and nutmeg.

A couple years ago, I made a nice autumn salad for Thanksgiving, with mixed greens, sliced pears (the recipe called for apples but my nephew is allergic), candied walnuts, dried cranberries and gorgonzola cheese. It was so delicious, it was requested for Christmas dinner as well! Obviously, you could omit the cheese and it would still be great.

We're officially TTC!!!

I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
#8 of 61 Old 08-31-2007, 11:31 PM

Last year at Thanksgiving I was still dairy and soy free, so I made a pumpkin pie subbing coconut milk for the milk and evaporated milk. It was AWESOME!!!! In fact, it was so good I will continue to make it that way!

I did use a wheat based crust, but I imagine you have a recipe for a GF crust right? If not, I do have some recipes, but they aren't tried and true. I used a mix of coconut oil and palm shortening in my crust to avoid butter.

You could also just do a pumpkin custard and avoid the crust all together.

Mmmmmnnnn.....now I'm craving pumpkin!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#9 of 61 Old 08-31-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosidox View Post
Could you post the recipe for the dressing? : It sounds fantastic!

BTW, what's sorghum?
It's pretty simple:
2 C Cooked Wild Rice
2 C Cooked Brown Basmati Rice
1 Tart Apple
1 Yellow Onion
1/2 C Crispy Walnuts
1/2 C Dried Unsweetened, Unsulfured Fruit (Cranberries and Apricots work well)
Fresh Thyme
Fresh Marjoram
Salt and Pepper
Pan Drippings

Ideally, you'd cook the rices in broth. Once they're cooked, heat the pan drippings in a skillet and cook the onion until translucent. Add the remaining ingredients along with a little more broth to keep it moist and it's done!

And sorghum is a sweet grass that makes an awesome, flavorful syrup. Honey is a good substitute for it I think.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#10 of 61 Old 09-01-2007, 12:12 PM

Yes, rice dressing is great. There exists a version with oysters in it that is just amazing... I don't have the recipe though. : Google turned up some tasty-looking ones though.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
#11 of 61 Old 09-01-2007, 05:02 PM

We're going the wrong way with the seasons here but I have been making really nice crustless pumpkin pie altho' I think you could probably make a very nice almond crust with ground soaked almonds. As we're non cultured pasteurised dairy free, I've been cooking the pumpkin in beef broth & then spicing it well & sweetening it with palm sugar, rapadura or honey which has been working very nicely. Even dh hasn't complained.

I saw a really nice recipe for honey roast vege salad the other day in a book where you roast the veges in honey & some form of oil with salt & pepper. Then you toss them in a mustard, honey, lemon & olive oil dressing when they are cooked. I would probably do something like that with lots of greens & the turkey.

For dessert there's the pumpkin pie thing or I did make a tamarillo panacotta (sp?) the other day the kids really loved. Do you get tamarillos? The recipe is here http://www.cuisine.co.nz/index.cfm?pageId=3388. I used cultured cream instead of cream & honey instead of sugar. I think Jessica Prentice does a coconut pana cotta in FMF with coconut cream which is beautiful so you could easily do coconut instead & then use some kind of seasonal berry instead of the tamarillos.

I guess a chocolate dessert cake would be totally non-traditional for you but I have a recipe in a book for a coffeebean chocolate fudge cake which only has a 1/4c of flour in. It's one of those real rich heavy cafe type cakes you have a small slice of with coffee after a meal so I am sure you could sub the flour for ground almonds or rice flour. It uses butter too but I am also sure you could sub coconut oil. I can look it up if you would like.
#12 of 61 Old 09-01-2007, 05:05 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#13 of 61 Old 09-01-2007, 05:08 PM

Just read the next step in the GF cake I am making the kids & realised it is CF too.

http://www.cuisine.co.nz/index.cfm?pageId=3388

I am soaking the almonds before I ground them & using rapadura sugar & not doing the glaze.
#14 of 61 Old 09-02-2007, 07:36 PM

GFCF stuffings we have done: wild and brown rice, potato/onion, quinoa and cranberry.

As for the rest of the meal, we do mashed potatoes, gravy, brussel sprouts, turnips, carrots, salads and some kind of desert.
#15 of 61 Old 09-03-2007, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMomma View Post
I guess a chocolate dessert cake would be totally non-traditional for you but I have a recipe in a book for a coffeebean chocolate fudge cake which only has a 1/4c of flour in. It's one of those real rich heavy cafe type cakes you have a small slice of with coffee after a meal so I am sure you could sub the flour for ground almonds or rice flour. It uses butter too but I am also sure you could sub coconut oil. I can look it up if you would like.
I would love to get that recipe. Thanks!

#16 of 61 Old 09-03-2007, 05:23 PM

It is

Preheat the oven to 190degC.
Melt 125g butter with 125g dark chocolate. Stir in 1 c sugar & then beat in 3 eggs. The recipe says "3 eggs beaten with a pinch salt". Then quickly stir in 2 tbsp finely ground coffee beans, 1/4c flour ( I am going to try ground almonds ) & 1/4c cocoa powder.
Pour into a greased 9" cake pan. The recipe says to dust the pan with flour so I guess you could line it with baking paper?
Bake for 40 mins. The cake should be crisp on the top & still a little moist inside. Cool & firm in the tin before turning out.
Ice with mocha sauce which is made by putting 1/2 c expresso coffee & 1/2 c roughly cut dark chocolate in a double boiler. Stir until smooth. Drizzle over cake.
#17 of 61 Old 09-04-2007, 07:37 PM

The last pumpkin pie I made I used maple sugar and it was fabulous! The crust was just a mix of almonds and pecans with coconut oil and maple sugar.
Delish!

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#18 of 61 Old 09-04-2007, 07:43 PM

I would think it could be easily done

Yams and root veggies are always great simply roasted with olive oil and salt. And they are easy to sweeten up.

Pumpkin pie can be easily made with a nut crust and coconut milk. Very very good this way! I even made pumpkin pie with soy when I was a veggie.

For stuffing, that can be done with rice, or gluten free bread crumbs.

MIL like to have a big fancy salad at thanksgiving. She always has. it's great for people who don't want to fill up on starches.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#19 of 61 Old 09-05-2007, 01:04 PM

Our favorite non traditional stuffing is forcemeat. I was thinking of doing a turkey galantine for again for thanksgiving this year. I just googled it for spelling and one came up stuffed with chestnut, sausage and apple- yum. Pistachios and cranberries chopped with the dark meat are good too.

Appetizers could be pate, shrimp, or oysters. And we always put out deviled eggs.

For sides:
sweet potato oven fried with coconut oil, garlic walnuts, and rosemary
salad
pancetta brussel sprouts, or mushrooms stuffed with mushrooms , shallots, and bacon
sometimes I get artichokes, even though they aren't in season. I love them with garlic aioli

Mady, mom to : Rosie (4), and expecting someone new : in 1/10
#20 of 61 Old 09-06-2007, 01:23 AM

How about the totally non-creative green bean casserole with the mushroom soup (I have seen a mushroom soup recipe on your website Kerry Ann). A good 'ole standby recipe .
#21 of 61 Old 09-06-2007, 10:59 AM

My favorite root vegetables are sweet potatoes and parsnips roasted with olive oil, salt and whole cloves of garlic. Something about those two roots together sends me through the roof!

This recipe for cauliflower cheese pie is great, too. It has a potato crust. My family loves it! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Caulifl...ie/Detail.aspx
#22 of 61 Old 09-06-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki98 View Post
How about the totally non-creative green bean casserole with the mushroom soup (I have seen a mushroom soup recipe on your website Kerry Ann). A good 'ole standby recipe .
That was the dish my mom ALWAYS brought to our family potluck. But yk? everyone always ate it. the only part I couldn't stand on it was the fried onion rings that smothered the top

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#23 of 61 Old 09-06-2007, 03:48 PM

Last year I made:

*maple-glazed organic ham
*mashed potatoes & gravy
*kale w/ bacon and onions (YUM!)
*roasted root veggies (rutabagas, parsnips, celeriac, carrots, squash, onion, garlic, etc w/ fresh rosemary)
*a green salad with fresh grated beets and carrots w/ homemade dressing.

For dessert I made sweet potato pie w/ a rice flour/coconut oil crust and an apple crisp.

Everything was super easy to prep ahead, all dairy/gluten free, almost 100% local and organic (only the oils, maple syrup, etc weren't local)! Eating locally is really important to me, especially when cooking a nice meal for family members. I really want to teach them about eating locally and in-season!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#24 of 61 Old 09-06-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis33 View Post
Last year at Thanksgiving I was still dairy and soy free, so I made a pumpkin pie subbing coconut milk for the milk and evaporated milk. It was AWESOME!!!! In fact, it was so good I will continue to make it that way!
Oh yum! How much coconut milk did you use, just what the recipe called for?
#25 of 61 Old 09-06-2007, 11:21 PM

snowbunny - Thanks for sharing the recipe!

And thanks to everyone else for all the ideas/recipes you've shared! Let's keep this thread going until the holidays so we have all these tips in one place (especially for the TF-GF newbies like me : ).

BTW applecore, I'm trying out the cauliflower recipe this weekend. I have all this cauliflower (and potatoes) that I don't know what to do with, so that recipe came at a great time!
#26 of 61 Old 09-07-2007, 02:57 PM

:
What a wonderful topic...
#27 of 61 Old 09-07-2007, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
For dessert I made sweet potato pie w/ a rice flour/coconut oil crust and an apple crisp.
Can you tell me about the crust? Do you have the recipe to share? I haven't had pie in over a year and now you've got me craving it!

#28 of 61 Old 09-10-2007, 08:39 AM

: great ideas! The holidays will be here before we know it!
#29 of 61 Old 09-10-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis33

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleaugustbaby View Post
Oh yum! How much coconut milk did you use, just what the recipe called for?
I just used the same amount of liquid that the recipe called for and it worked great

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#30 of 61 Old 11-06-2007, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

bump!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page