TF Pregnancy Club! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 433 Old 09-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you guys think a quart daily of raw milk really provides all the cal/mag a pregnant and nursing mother needs?

i'm sure it does. there was this time on the planet earth before vitamins were available.

and apparently, people had healthy babies.
#62 of 433 Old 09-13-2007, 04:18 AM

How long have you been interested in Traditional Foods and how did you first learn about it?

Hmm ... I found this forum when DS was about 6 months old, so a year and a half. The way of eating completely made sense to me. My DH is Japanese, and I lived in Japan for 6 years, and I find that the Japanese (although there is a lot of junk/processed food available in Japan) are still very connected to their ancestors' traditional diet - full fat foods, raw eggs, raw or undercooked meat, homemade pickles, etc.

In Nigeria, I feel frustrated though, because I don't have access to a lot of ingredients (like organic whole grains, for instance).

When is your baby due?

December 17!

Which number child will this be for you, and what are the ages of your other children (if any)?

My second; DS is 25 months old.

What kind of birth are you having?

I am planning to give birth at a birth center in Japan, on tatami mats! I'm so excited and actually looking forward to the birth. Last time, I gave birth in Kenya at a hospital, and later really regretted that choice.

What are your other interests/hobbies?

Um ... I used to have tons of interests/hobbies (learning languages, travel, salsa dancing, yoga, the Japanese tea ceremony, reading, etc.), but ever since DS was born, his world has become my whole life. I know a lot of people say this is really bad, but DS doesn't sleep much, so I don't have much free time. Anyway, it's only for a few years, and then I have the rest of my life to pursue my hobbies.

What part of the world do you live in?

Currently live in Nigeria (DH works in international aid), but just returned to Japan for six months. Yay!

One crazy fun fact about yourself!

Not really crazy, but I have lived all over the world -- Ontario, Quebec, Spain, Ecuador, Hong Kong, Massachussetts, Japan, Kenya, Nigeria. I don't like Africa though, and am hoping to return to Japan in the future.

Globetrotting mama to DS (9) and DD (6)
#63 of 433 Old 09-13-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
Do you guys think a quart daily of raw milk really provides all the cal/mag a pregnant and nursing mother needs?

i'm sure it does. there was this time on the planet earth before vitamins were available.

and apparently, people had healthy babies.
Can I be the devil's advocate here!!! What about the research Dr. Price did that found our soil was very depleated of nutrients??

I'm not a fan of any sort of supplements other than the CLO but can we really get optimum levels of everything with the soil that's leftover?? And I'm not talking about surviving, I'm talking about really thriving.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#64 of 433 Old 09-13-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlynn View Post
Can I be the devil's advocate here!!! What about the research Dr. Price did that found our soil was very depleated of nutrients??

I'm not a fan of any sort of supplements other than the CLO but can we really get optimum levels of everything with the soil that's leftover?? And I'm not talking about surviving, I'm talking about really thriving.
I agree. I think that to some extent, supplementation is nessescary. I do bee pollen, green food juice, mollasses, CLO, and some other things, for example. So it doesn't have to be synthetic vitamins, but I do believe that we don't really get everything we need from food these days, no matter how hard we can try. Although I also do not believe we can fix this with a synthetic pill.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#65 of 433 Old 09-13-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagamama View Post
[B]
What are your other interests/hobbies?

Um ... I used to have tons of interests/hobbies (learning languages, travel, salsa dancing, yoga, the Japanese tea ceremony, reading, etc.), but ever since DS was born, his world has become my whole life. I know a lot of people say this is really bad, but DS doesn't sleep much, so I don't have much free time. Anyway, it's only for a few years, and then I have the rest of my life to pursue my hobbies.
I'm blessed with a dd who likes to sleep but I totally understand where you're coming from. I know people that think I should just leave her in the church nursery so I can attend the service or leave her with people so I can do other things for the church. The way I see it she's little like this for such a short amount of time, as long as I'm caring for my own spritual health the church can wait.

I pray that God gives me time, once all my children are older and they have their interest, to persue my own interest again. This time with her is too important to neglect right now.

Glad to have you here.

#66 of 433 Old 09-13-2007, 02:47 PM

My goats are actually pygora goats, a cross between cashmere-type pygmies and angoras, so they are definitely good for fiber too!

(and I plan on milking...)

As far as the egg washing, I don't wash the eggs I collect from my chickens, except a quick wash before using. Unless of course, I collected one that was oddly, covered in poop or something, and this has happened only a few times.

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
#67 of 433 Old 09-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Banned

thomlyn:

actually, I was playing 'devil's advocate!'

to this, i'd like to refer you to a previous post where i said:

Quote:
but here's my thing. i see a lot of women out there out of shape, on crazy, crappy diets, smokin', drinkin' coke or diet coke, and being all around nutso with essentially "perfectly healthy" babies. if those on nutso diets and what not can bear healthy babies, then i bet i can too.
and, my diet isn't nutso. it's incredibly rich and diverse: 100% organic, mostly local grown, eggs from pastured hens, raw cheese and butter, nuts and seeds, beans and modest whole grains (i don't usually eat breads, but only sprouted ones when i do--about once a week, tops). i take my CLO (this is a new development).

i walk about 5-7 miles per day and i do yoga daily for at least 1.5 hours. sometimes i take sundays off from yoga.

I am incredibly healthy. I mean, *really really* healthy.

Now, a bit about my background perspectives:

1. even as a child, the concept of taking vitamin supplements (in pill form) was crazy to me. my mother couldn't get me to take vitamins, and finally gave up. i had a healthy omnivorous diet (granted, it wasn't organic or pasture raised meats or what have you, but it was simple and well rounded and diverse). i rarely ate junk foods and i was an active kid. I was always healthy, so she didn't worry about me taking vitamins.

my little sister, on the other hand, was much more into sweets and carbs, and she loved to take her vitamins. so, my mother kept her in vitamins. she was healthy too--but never quite as healthy as I was/am.

2. i do believe in the soil depletion issue, but i do not feel that it is an issue for organic, sustainable farms. i feel that if you are getting food from farms that are organic and sustainable, you're getting foods full of nutrients because of the rich, rich soil that they create with their manures, rotating crops, rotating pastures, and so on. so, it's only an issue for large-scale commerical agriculture IMO.

3. i have studied a good deal on prenatal and lactation nutrition. i love to study nutrition anyway, and as a vegetarian, it's practically a requirement! LOL well, i suppose i'm technically not a vegetarian as of the last 6 days, seeing as i've been taking CLO. but anyway, prior to that i was vegetarian (ovo-lacto).

i have read numerous prenatal/lactation nutriton books from a variety of perspectives from vegan diets to the WAPF materials and just about everything in between. it was great information. and, in many ways i do 'tweak' my diet here and there--for example i eat more beans now (beans every day) than i did before.

when i was reading these materials, it was great to hear bout nutrients, amounts, and so on.

and so, here's why i was playing devil's advocate

what 've been "hearing" lately in nutrition talk is not "oh, this diet is so healthy and great, and i'm taking these supplements because i feel drawn to it, or i feel it's best. . ."

but rather "do you think i can get enough? should i take this? what about that? oh my goodness, what if i don't get enough . . ." instead of feeling good about the great stuff that TFers are doing for their babies just by being TF--which is probably the healthiest diet available to humans!--people seem to be really scared that they're not "doing enough" or "good enough" for a healthy baby.

and yet, we see numerous people who have crazy-asp diets and lifestyles that give birth to kids that are normal, healthy, happy, well adjusted, and what have you. they didn't do anything special necessarily. heck, in one instance i know, a woman was huge, type two diabetic, got a pump in her system for insulin so that she could continue to eat cookie dough and junk foods, and then she wanted to get pregnant, so they adjusted that pump, put her on fertility meds, she got pregnant, ate horribly, never exercised, still had the pump workin' for her, and the baby is prefectly normal and healthy--with a wide face even!

so, here i'm thinking, if my friend, bless her unhealthy heart, can have a healthy baby subsisting on cookie dough (store bought mind you!) and diet coke, then i sure as heck can have a healthy baby on a rockin' out organic TF based diet!

I have no problem if people take supplements. It can be absolutely what is right for that person! but, i don't think we need to "worry" so much about it. just look at what good stuff we're doing already by being TF--how nutrient rich that diet is naturally--and then decide if these other supplements are "necessary" or not.

i think not--but that's my body. i eat this way and i dont' take any extra supplements because i do not feel that i need to. But if i did, i would take supplements. (btw, i don't consider CLO a supplement, i consider it "food.")
#68 of 433 Old 09-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Banned

I do bee pollen, green food juice, mollasses, CLO, and some other things, for example.

i don't consider these "supplements" though. i consider them food. green food juice is juice. juice is food. mollasses is food. CLO is food. i don't really know what bee pollen is, but i'm assuming it's food.

so, if we're saying that these are 'supplements' and not 'food'--then that's fine. obviously, since i take CLO, i'm taking a 'supplement' by this other definition.

and, i'm not against anyone else choosing to take vitamins, supplements, or whatever. . .

but i think it's sad that people seem so "worried" or "anxious" about it. it would make more sense to feel confident in what you're doing and acknowledge that by simply being TF, you're already doing a lot more than the average person AND your baby will be healthy.

and that was my only point. i don't care what anyone eats, takes as a supplement or whatever else. there are a lot of TF foods that i don't eat. i mean, i don't even drink raw milk--so technically i may not be getting enough cal/mag. . .but i think i'm doing fine, i feel strong and healthy, my diet is diverse and nutrient rich. so, i'm happy where i am.

and i want others to be happy where they are too.
#69 of 433 Old 09-13-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:

what 've been "hearing" lately in nutrition talk is not "oh, this diet is so healthy and great, and i'm taking these supplements because i feel drawn to it, or i feel it's best. . ."

but rather "do you think i can get enough? should i take this? what about that? oh my goodness, what if i don't get enough . . ." instead of feeling good about the great stuff that TFers are doing for their babies just by being TF--which is probably the healthiest diet available to humans!--people seem to be really scared that they're not "doing enough" or "good enough" for a healthy baby.
I guess b/c most TFers know exactly why you need what you need we tend to worry about if we're getting it or not.

I think your friend seems pretty lucky. I know lots of babies out there with tons of allergies, reflux, eczema and a host of problems, but of course nobody thinks it could have anything to do with their diet while they were pregnant or nursing.

But about her jaw, how old is the baby?? I think it takes awhile to know if that is really their facial structure or not. DD's face looks very wide but inside her mouth her arch is very high. Sadly I didn't find TF until she was a couple months old and I really believed what I was eating what healthy. We'll see how it turns out.

OK I have another question!!!!

Our sunday school class brings dinner typically about a week after the baby is born every night for about 10nights. I am at a loss about what to do about this. I don't want to be rude but I don't want the food. If it was just one night I would just deal with it but it would be 10 nights in a row. I really don't want to eat just anything the second and third weeks of the new baby's life, I don't want dd eating that much stuff so many nights in a row (plus there are tons of leftovers so we would probably end up eating it for lunch too). BUT I don't want to be super rude either.

Last time they brought foods like seasoned pork loin, green beans cooked in bacon and another side. Chicken in a shake-n-bake type coating with cheese, potatoes cooked with velveeta (sp??), a pasta dish, seasoned roasted chicken, real mac n' cheese but there was velveeta in that with the real cheese too, a roast and....... that's all I can remember. A couple people brought salads with regular dressing. A couple people also brought desserts like chocolate cake (for sure from a box) and an apple crisp (I'm pretty sure it was boxed). Everything was very very good and I really enjoyed it but this time around things are a little different. I don't want to be a total jerk but I don't want to eat the food or just throw it out.

I don't want all these people thinking we think we're better than them and won't eat their food either. The last thing I want people to think is that I'm a snob. And the meals were very very nice, much nicer than I cook most nights , so I'm very grateful.......... things are just different this time. Someone tell me you understand.

It's not a huge deal at the moment, we've got awhile to figure this one out but I thought I'd bring it up.

ETA No flames please, I've got a lot of guilty feelings wrapped up in this whole issue and I'm honestly just trying to find the best solution without hurting anyone's feelings or wasting a bunch of food.

#70 of 433 Old 09-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Banned

thomlyn:

i think that there's a point where you take what you know, and then you just intuit off of that knowledge. i feel confident in my knowledge of myself, nutritional information, etc, and i feel confident in my ability to grow and birth a healthy baby without having to worry over nutrients and such.

i think it would be nice if other women felt confident too.

and my friend's baby is now nearly two. it's amazing how time flies. my friend's diabetes is still not under control, and she nearly weighs 500 lbs. she is in a world of hurt, i think. i mean, she may not be around for her little one to grow up--that's how desprate it is. she's asked for our help in regards to diet and exercise--and we've done what we could--but she doesn't follow through. hopefully, at some point, she'll do well.

i do agree that there are a lot of problems for children that are caused by prenatal diets as well as what their parents feed them when outside of the womb. but i also notice that even though there are these problems, in actuality, the majority of children are "generally healthy." that is, they don't really have health or behavioral problems. And since i know that TF isn't mainstream, and what is considered "healthy" in the mainstream isn't and what that entails, i would say that the majority of babies are born on unhealthy diets, and while there is an increase in problems, it's still a minority of babies who have these problems.

so i don't see any real reason to be overly concerned about it, if one's diet is as rich and diverse as the TF diet is.

but it could be that i just feel good about my own thing, and if other people don't, they might as well keep searching. and i don't discourage that.

in re: bringing dinners after birth

that is very kind and generous of them to do. i would suggest that you talk to whomever organizes it and ask them for 'other help' rather than cooking. you can say that you're preparing all of the meals for the first 10 days in advance and freezing them as part of your "nesting" and so the food wouldn't be eaten. i don't see why anyone would have a problem with that.

from there, i would be specific about what other kinds of help you could use such as taking older kids (if you have them) out to the park to play, or doing laundry (taking a laundry bag, washing and folding it, and bringing it back), or other helpful chores.

people mostly want to help--and they ultimately want to help you in a way that really helps you. so, i wouldn't worry about them feeling offended, etc, about their options.

in re: other's foods

i guess i could say "mainstream foods" that are considered "healthy. LOL!

it makes me crazy to visit family and friends, because they eat so poorly, but think that they eat so well. it's a lot low fat, white flour or "whole wheat" breads with HFCS. . . .i could go on and on. my husband and i come back from these trips and "detox!" i had to do three days of raw food before i could be back to normal after one weekend with friends.

so i can imagine that having osmeone cook for you for 10 days, when they're not TF, would be insane! LOL

i find that one of the hardest things about socialization.

and now that we've TTC, and kept is a secret, there are more milestones to come, such as taking prenatal vitamins. when i mentioned potentially TTCing to my family earlier this year, they recommended that i take the prenatals then, and when i refused, they were calling me irresponsible and what not.

they've let that go, but they aren't happy about veg + clo. well, too bad. LOL

i dont 'think they'll be happy about UP/UC either.
#71 of 433 Old 09-13-2007, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Lori, even before we started making the transistion to TF, we wouldn't have eaten some of those things. Have you thought about making freezer meals for the first couple of weeks after the birth? If you do it yourself, you can just tell them it is already taken care of. Or, alternatively, maybe you could suggest that you'd prefer they make freezer meals for you now and offer to give them recipes that are TF-friendly (there is a whole yahoo group dedicated to TF freezer meals). Those are just the first things that popped into my head. HTH!

ETA: Of course, zoebird beat me to it

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#72 of 433 Old 09-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Banned

sorry, love. i'm just chatting today. it's amazing how well camomile tea works.

since october j, it's been rough. i was in so much pain until this morning. today, not so much. and drinking the chamomile makes me feel good and relaxed through-and-through. so that's probably why i'm so chatty.
#73 of 433 Old 09-13-2007, 04:56 PM

Thanks. dh and I have been talking about freezer meals to make. We did that last time too, not NT though. I need to find that yahoo group.

I like the idea about other ways they could help. I'm not sure how it would go over but it's worth mentioning to the leader of the pack.

Thanks for the ideas and don't hate me if I ask this again when I'm seven months b/c I'll probably have forgotten by then!!

#74 of 433 Old 09-13-2007, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

The idea to have them help with other things is great. Does anyone in your family have food sensitivities? Our church family is very loving and will also want to bring meals, but DH has Celiac's and truly can't take a risk on eating foods prepared by someone who isn't familiar with gluten intolerance. So if anyone in your family has particular issues, you could explain it that way. People tend to be very understanding about weird food allergies

Does anyone have a link to the nutritional contents of a quart of raw milk? The jugs we buy don't have it listed on the side (perhaps because it can very by season of the year), so I was just wondering if it's posted anywhere. Just ballpark figures would be helpful. So far, all I see on the WAP site is a general comparison of raw vs. pasteurized milk http://www.realmilk.com/whichchoose.html
#75 of 433 Old 09-13-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
The idea to have them help with other things is great. Does anyone in your family have food sensitivities? Our church family is very loving and will also want to bring meals, but DH has Celiac's and truly can't take a risk on eating foods prepared by someone who isn't familiar with gluten intolerance. So if anyone in your family has particular issues, you could explain it that way. People tend to be very understanding about weird food allergies

Nope, we just do it to be healthy. Although perhaps we could "create" something b/c I know I am very sensitive to MSG which, as you know, is in most processed foods, plus probably in the seasonings people put on their meat.

#76 of 433 Old 09-13-2007, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
sorry, love. i'm just chatting today. it's amazing how well camomile tea works.

since october j, it's been rough. i was in so much pain until this morning. today, not so much. and drinking the chamomile makes me feel good and relaxed through-and-through. so that's probably why i'm so chatty.
Glad to hear you're starting to feel better. Don't worry about being chatty, it's one of the things I love about you

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlynn View Post
I need to find that yahoo group.
Sorry, pg brain! I totally meant to link it. Here it is.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#77 of 433 Old 09-13-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
Sorry, pg brain! I totally meant to link it. Here it is.
Applied for membership. Thanks!

#78 of 433 Old 09-13-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have a link to the nutritional contents of a quart of raw milk? The jugs we buy don't have it listed on the side (perhaps because it can very by season of the year), so I was just wondering if it's posted anywhere. Just ballpark figures would be helpful. So far, all I see on the WAP site is a general comparison of raw vs. pasteurized milk http://www.realmilk.com/whichchoose.html
This is the only thing I can find.

http://www.organicpastures.com/products_milk.html

#79 of 433 Old 09-14-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
in re: bringing dinners after birth

that is very kind and generous of them to do. i would suggest that you talk to whomever organizes it and ask them for 'other help' rather than cooking. you can say that you're preparing all of the meals for the first 10 days in advance and freezing them as part of your "nesting" and so the food wouldn't be eaten. i don't see why anyone would have a problem with that.
I would totally agree here. I think it'd be much better to address it up front than chance the meals coming and then you either feeling obligated to eat them or dumping them. :0)
#80 of 433 Old 09-14-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
and now that we've TTC, and kept is a secret, there are more milestones to come, such as taking prenatal vitamins. when i mentioned potentially TTCing to my family earlier this year, they recommended that i take the prenatals then, and when i refused, they were calling me irresponsible and what not.

they've let that go, but they aren't happy about veg + clo. well, too bad. LOL

i dont 'think they'll be happy about UP/UC either.
This is one of the hardest things about making alternative parenting/life decisions....people want to chime in and tell you you are irresponsible or say someting like "don't you worry about the baby dying?" (!?) Or send all negative birth stories your way. (I am so sensitive about picking up on other people's (unexpressed)fears that I ask God to protect me from absorbing other people's fearful energy and to fill me with peace and hope) In reality, my decisons are made with much thought, love, and prayer that I never feel irresponsible--just the opposite! When my family was talking about my homebirth they asked about what I would do if the midwife did not arrive in time since we live in the boonies. I said that I would just reach down and pick up the baby as it arrived (which I plan on doing anyway). My step father actually said that I could not catch my own baby and I should call my EMT step-brother: Um, my body can give birth and I can reach my vagina..why do I need a fretting boy in my bedroom? I have so many odd things said to me that I could go on forever

About meals after the birth--I am gluten and grain free so if people ask I am just going to say that I am too much of a pain to cook for. For me, I would ask people to 1) run errands 2) do dishes and laundry. I am going to stock up on broth, meats, stews soups and other staples I can keep in the freezer/pantry easily. My MIL does TF now so I am hoping she can help me a little when she comes over. We eat so simply too that as long as I have the stuff on hand I can an throw stuff together.

Supplments--I do take some now because I feel the need still. I had such horrible nutrient defiencies last year. But after a few years on a TF diet I will probably stop pills and just do "superfoods".

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#81 of 433 Old 09-14-2007, 01:12 PM

newcastlemama - your MIL eats TF? My goodness, how amazing! I've been sloooooowly trying to get my parents to do this...old habits die hard, though, you know? But they do cook this way when I come to visit.

I've already said it, but I'll reiterate how thrilling it feels for me to have found this little nascent community. I've found it really challenging to go through this pregnancy (at least initially) knowing that no one else I know personally (other than my hubby) really agrees with my food choices, and find it tremendously reassuring to hear from others who think this way. Today at the farmer's market, I was picking up a block of raw cheese from one of the award-winning farmers out here, and when I told him I was pregnant, he smiled widely, congratulated me and said, "Thank you for eating well and ignoring what your doctors say!" I replied, "We're doing a homebirth with a midwife - she's totally down with this." That made me feel good. There ARE a lot of people who think this is the right thing to do, even if I don't know many!

And you ladies seem awesome. Goats & knitting & puppets (by the way, I'm a puppet-maker too!) and all the cool things you do and your willingness to share yourselves in this forum!!

Zoebird, your articulate writing about trusting yourself hit a nerve! I think I'm finally coming around to that (case in point: a few weeks ago I was reading how pregnant women are "supposed" to take 2tsp of CLO, yet I've been taking only 1 [well, occasionally more, if I feel like it] - and instead of completely freaking out as I might have done a few weeks prior, I said to myself, "You know what, 1tsp is WAY better than no tsp, which is what most people take. You can always take more moving forwards, if you want to." Feeling that way was kind of a milestone)!

Re -- supplements, it sounds like a lot of people here have gone through what I did the first few weeks of my pregnancy...The supplement question plagued (and occasionally still bothers) me! I didn't take any supplements except for folic acid for the first few weeks, and when I would think of my diet & (lack of) supplementation, I'd think, "I know I'm doing the right thing. This diet is great for me & the baby!" Then I'd think, "Oh my gosh, AM I doing the right thing? So many people think it's the wrong thing! It IS the right thing though! ....Right??" "Yes." "Are you SUUUURE?" Etc. Fun! I felt so happy to have found a midwife who, like most midwives, isn't much into supplementation (except for folic acid). I finally stopped taking folic acid this past week (week 15) - I've been taking that since a good while before TTC, but did make sure to get a capsule without magnesium sterate or any artificial stuff. I started getting "uhmmmm...stop taking it" vibes, and decided to listen, though for a few days I still got a "Should I?" feeling.

I also took/take a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement about once a week or so, whenever I feel like I "should" (of the 6 tablets recommended, I take two maximum - I have Dr Ron's non-synthetic multi, which I feel better about than anything else, though I'd still rather not take it for the most part). Those "shoulds" are a bear, aren't they? Hard to determine whether they're internal or external sometimes.

Whenever I take a supplement, I focus on the idea that me & the baby will only absorb what we need. And then I remind myself that no matter what I've taken during this pregnancy, or haven't taken (and I'll remind myself again right now!) - just like Zoebird wrote, so many women eat garbage and birth healthy babies. So, this baby should be in good shape! (Of course, I want it to be in spectacular shape, with lovely wide bone structure and no need for braces!)

I keep trying to remember the fact that I've had almost no cravings at all so far - that to me is a good sign, and I trust that more every day. I do feel if I were really deficient in something, I'd get a craving to make up for it.

I'm really starting to feel the baby move now (hit week 16 today)! Which is SO AMAZING. I of course want to do what's best for this little one. There's a lot of trust involved in that - trusting yourself to intuit what feels right, despite what the establishment might tell you.

Anyway, thanks again, everyone, for sharing. I'm really enjoying following this thread.

PS - back to the raw egg nog, word to the wise - do not, under any circumstances, try to add "just a smidge" of blackstrap molasses to egg nog, thinking it'll be more healthful that way, and won't make that much of a taste difference. IT TASTES DIGUSTING!

PPS - jeez, I just re-read this - it's pretty long, huh!!! Can you tell I don't have many people to discuss this stuff with??
#82 of 433 Old 09-14-2007, 01:21 PM

Does anyone else here find it a little overwhelming to deal with so much milkfat? I haven't yet managed a full quart of dairy, and I suspect I won't, til later, anyway. Some days I just want to scream at the idea of any more milk or yogurt or cheese! 2 c a day, I can handle. But 4? AAAAAAAAGH!

I know dairy is supposed to be great...but I now trust when I pick up the milk bottle & my body says, "Stephanie, PLEASE, I cannot deal with any more of that today!" that maybe that means I shouldn't have any more just then. I know there are other forms of calcium out there - tahini (trying to eat a little every day), greens (just getting back into the swing of those, could not deal with green things during my first trimester), sardines (oh my gosh - I have about 20 cans, I haven't been able to bring myself to eat more than one can yet, just really not a huge fan), and I drink 2 c of raspberry leaf/nettle infusion daily (I know there's a decent amount of calcium in there - anyone know how much? I oughta google that). I'm not sure if it's just for the calcium or also for all the other vitamin/mineral goodness that WAP recommends 4 c of milk a day.

Speaking of supplements, most days, I do a mental tally and see if it feels like I've gotten enough calcium in its various guises. I take Dr Ron's MCH for calcium supplementation on those days when I feel I haven't...I know the baby will get what it needs, but I don't want it to get what it needs at the expense of my own bones!
#83 of 433 Old 09-14-2007, 01:40 PM

I LOVE milk. I could drink close to a gallon a day if we could afford it. Same goes for cheese. We get one 8oz package per week and that last maybe three days. Everybody's different though, you'll know what you need.

I'm having trouble with fruits and veggies at the moment. Help me figure this out. I'm having trouble affording and eating fruits and veggies. We're on super limited funds right now. This past week I had a couple salads, couple days worth of soup with carrots in it, an apple, a whole bag of dried figs and I shared a couple plums with dd. That is it.

What type of veggies are you eating during the day?? I almost always have something with dinner but that's really it. I've got $40 for groceries this week and the things I NEED are bread ($5), Amy's burritos ($5), hambuger buns ($1.50), nuts ($3) and vinegar(cleaning)($2). And the only thing from that list that goes to dinner is hamburger buns. Plus I need lunch for dd everyday. I'm feeling so bad b/c I'm worried I'm not getting enough protein or veggies......

#84 of 433 Old 09-14-2007, 02:15 PM

Thomlynn-
We eat cheap veggies--carrots, greens, salad greens, onions, califlower, squashes. I always put lots of carrots in stew/soup/pot roasts. I generally eat salads for lunch which are usually really simple--salad greens, onion, crispy walnuts, meat, evoo dressing. I also get whatever fruits are on sale or less expensive so this week we have grapes, cantalope, and bananas.

There are 2 things that can make you feel good about your produce situation--Healthy Inuit people's ate almost no vegetation and babies are made from protein and fat. I focus on animal products first for pregnancy because I feel like I cannot eat as much and those are nutrient dense. If you are getting any bone broth in that has lots of minerals too and I find it very cost effective.

Steph-- I am blessed that I was able to "convert" one family member to TF. My MIL has always struggled with depression and anxiety and she watched heal from severe PPD and other issues using traditional foods. I also lent her NandPD and she was hooked Now we are trying to get her daughters (one pregnant, one just had baby #2) into TF but they seem totally uninterested. When I started reading about TF, I was like "You had me at butter" "tell me more!"

2c of milk a day is great I don't force food on myself even when I am pregnant. Sometimes I don't feel hungry so I skip a meal. I see the pregnancy guidlines as an idea. I just think about feeding my body baby building foods rich in A, D, K and minerals and then go for what sounds good. This morning I ate pot roast with carrots, onions, and bone broth with herbal tea and grapes-YUM!

It is so fun to feel the baby moving. I am 18 weeks and several times a day I feel my baby having a little party. I am hoping the kicks will be hard enough for dh to feel soon

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#85 of 433 Old 09-14-2007, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph117 View Post
I was picking up a block of raw cheese from one of the award-winning farmers out here, and when I told him I was pregnant, he smiled widely, congratulated me and said, "Thank you for eating well and ignoring what your doctors say!"
That made my day! Thanks for sharing

The remarks about milk are interesting. I could happily drink a gallon of raw milk every day. I LOVE cheese and cream and butter.... having my own cow would make me so happy!

I did the Milk Cure for a month in June/July to prepare nutritionally for TTC. I wasn't strict about it though (too boring). I ate some fresh fruits and avocado every day. I felt really good and energetic the whole time, although the purists would say I didn't get the full benefit because I didn't stick with 100% milk.
#86 of 433 Old 09-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Banned

i have not developed a tasste for milk since going vegan--even the raw stuff. it's better than 'regular' milk, but it's still not so great to me. i can't bring myself to drink it, so i don't.

i do not eat a lot of dairy, honestly. it doesn't bother me, because i am happy with my diet. i feel strongly that i'm getting enough of everything that i need.

i've been keeping a food journal for fun, though. my thing is to get beans and CLO every day. i feel that everything else is "good." and besides, i love eating beans.
#87 of 433 Old 09-14-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
Thomlynn-
We eat cheap veggies--carrots, greens, salad greens, onions, califlower, squashes. I always put lots of carrots in stew/soup/pot roasts. I generally eat salads for lunch which are usually really simple--salad greens, onion, crispy walnuts, meat, evoo dressing. I also get whatever fruits are on sale or less expensive so this week we have grapes, cantalope, and bananas.

There are 2 things that can make you feel good about your produce situation--Healthy Inuit people's ate almost no vegetation and babies are made from protein and fat. I focus on animal products first for pregnancy because I feel like I cannot eat as much and those are nutrient dense. If you are getting any bone broth in that has lots of minerals too and I find it very cost effective.
Yeah when I'm budgeting for food first comes milk and eggs, then comes a small amount of meat, then dh's and dd's lunch, then extras. Things should be better in a few months, I just need to focus on that.

#88 of 433 Old 09-14-2007, 11:07 PM

I feel compelled to respectfully disagree with the view "most babies are healthy". It seems to me that, yes, while most babies and children appear healthy and full of energy for the first several years of their lives, a less-than-optimal diet will start to show up eventually. I was a gorgeously plump and healthy-looking ff baby and toddler, but started having health problems like allergies, crooked teeth, poor bone development, low energy levels, etc., in my teens. ... I don't know ... what do others think?

Globetrotting mama to DS (9) and DD (6)
#89 of 433 Old 09-14-2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagamama View Post
I feel compelled to respectfully disagree with the view "most babies are healthy". It seems to me that, yes, while most babies and children appear healthy and full of energy for the first several years of their lives, a less-than-optimal diet will start to show up eventually. I was a gorgeously plump and healthy-looking ff baby and toddler, but started having health problems like allergies, crooked teeth, poor bone development, low energy levels, etc., in my teens. ... I don't know ... what do others think?
I agree you can't judge a book by it's cover I have read that even plants can appear healthy and normal but the proof is in the fruit. I think it is very easy to have a less than optimal diet and it is something that people should strive toward. And not just the diet, but excersise as well! As zoebird said earlier!
I think really it comes down to making choices that not only affect us, but our entire generational line. When you put that into perspective, things change!it can be hard to always make the right choice, and I am nowhere near perfect, but when I think about how it will affect my unborn child, or future children, or CURRENT children, I reflect a bit. If following a traditional style diet can ensure a healthy future for my family, sign me up! And I do think it can take awhile for these signs, or "proof" of diet to show up.

And when I say we take "supplements" I meant that as something in addition to meals. Sometimes I do take vitamin c, or some other random things, but not everyday. I am totally into taking whole foods that are considered power foods as my vitamins.

#90 of 433 Old 09-14-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
That made my day! Thanks for sharing

The remarks about milk are interesting. I could happily drink a gallon of raw milk every day. I LOVE cheese and cream and butter.... having my own cow would make me so happy!

I did the Milk Cure for a month in June/July to prepare nutritionally for TTC. I wasn't strict about it though (too boring). I ate some fresh fruits and avocado every day. I felt really good and energetic the whole time, although the purists would say I didn't get the full benefit because I didn't stick with 100% milk.
Sometimes I think I could live on milk I mean, not lately, but I usually feel that way

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page