TF Pregnancy Club! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 433 Old 09-20-2007, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh - and Zoebird, that "...they were on me like steph on panda candy" completely cracked me up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 433 Old 09-20-2007, 10:09 PM

hey guys!

i'm going to come back and "introduce" myself soon--i've felt sad on the i'm pregnant board--stoked to have mamas i can ask my real questions to. (such as, any chance this rash on my face is because of too much hi vit clo? which, i've decided, it isn't).

Oh, i'll introduce now..but I still have to finish the thread!

How long have you been interested in Traditional Foods and how did you first learn about it? Started TF When my girls were one, when I first noticed what I didn't know/admit then were ASD symptoms. Tremendous results even before we got the gluten and casein out, mostly bc of the difference in my milk, I think. Found this board after MT on Vaccines told me I better get some nutrition into my girls to help heal their vaccine damage.

When is your baby due? Feb 18, 2008

Which number child will this be for you, and what are the ages of your other children (if any)? Child #3, pregnancy #2--twin girls who'll be three in Dec

What kind of birth are you having? homebirth, tho I really want (and imagine and hope for) unassisted

What are your other interests/hobbies? Homeopathy, cooking (is that "other" here?), learning all I can about healing ASD, and slowly moving into our new house....

What part of the world do you live in? PCB capital of the US--New England

One crazy fun fact about yourself! I just spent $150 at Wilderness Family Naturals--I bought their virgin co; hope it really is an upgrade from Mountain Rose. That's not crazy tho, is it. Hmmm--this is by far the BEST sex of my life during this 2nd trimester; I think I was too big already last time!
#123 of 433 Old 09-21-2007, 12:33 AM

I want to play, too!

How long have you been interested in Traditional Foods and how did you first learn about it? About a year and a half. Finding a diet that supported dd and I nutritionally when faced with our severe food allergies--and the desperate, run-downness of my body after her birth--brought me to TF. I have seen an ENORMOUS turnaround in my health after addressing the allergies and converting to a TF diet.

When is your baby due? Late May. I'm 20 DPO today.

Which number child will this be for you, and what are the ages of your other children (if any)? This will be my second. Dd is 2 and a half.

What kind of birth are you having? Midwife attended homebirth. Not sure about water; I don't think I'll know until the time comes.

What are your other interests/hobbies? Yoga (spirituality, not just asana), Buddhism, cooking, gardening, outdoor activities (camping, walking, hiking).

What part of the world do you live in? We're in a just to the west of Denver called Wheat Ridge.

One crazy fun fact about yourself! I read tarot cards, but when I'm pregnant, the baby's vibration disturbs my ability to read pretty significantly.

Thanks for starting this thread. I really appreciated the discussion on "supplementation," I'm grappling with this myself. Trying to make sure I get all of what I need without having to rely on synthetics. I think I missed the CLO question above; I take 1-3 tsp of Carlson CLO daily but I am burping it so badly right now I can barely stand to take it. I'm also taking a gelcap of high vitamin CLO for A and D but not in the quantities suggested by the WAPF. I'm still trying to figure this out; I think I'm going to try some Blue Ice CLO and see if I tolerate it any better.

RE You Are What Your Grandmother Ate. We have pretty significant food allergies in my mother's family. Also autoimmune thyroid disease, migraine headaches, and obesity. Of course this is all interrelated. It's been interesting to me to observe how much worse it is with each successive generation. My grandmother had thryroid disease as a young woman and has SEVERE edema as an older woman. My mother HATED milk from babyhood but started drinking it during her childbearing years because she "had" to; she also converted from the traditional Polish and German diet on which she was raised to the SAD when we were kids. At this point, she went from being very (healthy) skinny to being overweight, had thyroid disease, chronic migraine headaches, and severe edema pretty frequently.

I grew up SAD and was a low-fat, soy eating vegetarian for 10 years prior to being pregnant with dd. My allergies are far more severe than my mom's, I do not have thyroid disease yet, have been obese since childhood and suffered from chronic migraines since puberty. My pregnancy with dd was a nightmare, and of course she has allergies from HELL, major gut damage, and a relatively weak immune system. I'm hoping I will begin to turn things around with her generation (especially the new bean) and that TF will help make my dd stronger and keep her strong.

RE how are you feeling? SO much better than with my last pregnancy. I'm a little queasy here and there and have had dizzy spells from conception (I had this with dd, too), but overall feel SOOOOOO much better than I did with dd. I'm hoping it continues. I am having a hard time adjusting to eating more frequently, which my body needs when I'm pregnant; otherwise, I'm really good on 3 squares per day. But I can't quite make it that far now and a piece of fruit or veggie just isn't enough. I relied alot on yogurt during my pregnancy with dd, but now that we're dairy free I'm looking for good fat/protein snack alternatives.
#124 of 433 Old 09-21-2007, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome, new mamas!!

About the Panda candy - the aniseed oil just helps make it taste like licorice. It is not evil But if you figure out a recipe to make Panda candy, please share! I love that stuff!! Do you like the European-style salt licorice, too?

Anyone else been craving non-TF foods lately? Today a take-n-bake pizza was the only thing that could cure the awful way my stomach was feeling. Upset stomach, a little on the queasy side, and super low energy almost like low blood sugar but not. It was weird. Anyway, the pizza was exactly what I needed, although I was sad about eating non-soaked flour. I have decided not to stress about non-TF cravings because I read a few chapters of a book called No More Morning Sickness, which said that the best way to deal with nausea and picky pregnant stomachs is to determine what type of food you could keep down, and just eat it. Then once you've got a little food in you (even if it's not "health food") you'll often find you feel well enough to eat normal food, too. So I'm just going to do whatever is necessary to deal with the nausea when it strikes.

Wow those gingerbread cookies sound good..... does anybody want to sell me a used grain mill??
#125 of 433 Old 09-21-2007, 12:21 PM

Welcome Ally'smom & nicolena!

Nicolena - are you part of the Feb DDC, or just lurking there? What's ASD? That's an acronym I'm unfamiliar with. Glad you found something to help with it, though! And I can vouch for Wilderness Family Naturals. Their coconut oil rocks my world. I use it to cook, but I also slather it all over my boobs & belly every night - I'm hoping that will help keep my (formerly?) stretch-mark-prone skin in decent shape externally (and hoping that my diet will keep it in shape internally! My stretch marks are from my pre-good-diet days).

Ally'smom - out of curiosity, your family has allergic reactions to raw dairy, too? Have you tried goat's milk yet? I know there are some people who won't tolerate it period. But I've heard that goat's milk is especially good for people who react to other milks. & re: CLO - definitely try Blue Ice/Dr Ron's. I hardly ever get any fish-burps, happily. Oh, I take cinnamon flavor - we did the unflavored for a while but even though I very gradually started to get used to it - when I DID have a burp from the unflavored - it was really fishy & gross. Cinnamon-flavored, not so bad.

Taedareth - actually, the salt licorice completely freaks me out! I only tried it once & it made my face turn inward in an extreme pucker. So, can't do that. I will definitely share if I can figure out my own recipe though. I'd be super-psyched. I'll probably dehydrate whatever mixture I come up with for 24-48 hours & see what happens!

I wouldn't say I CRAVE non-TF foods, but I do have unsoaked flour products sometimes. e.g. - I do loves me a good bowl of udon or soba noodles in bonito broth - and we have some GREAT soba/ramen restaurants here in NYC. I eat a bowl once a week & I don't blink about it. & sometimes, I eat Dr Kracker crackers, too, and they're definitely unsoaked, & covered with unsoaked seeds! But I like them anyway, dangit! Last night, eating some, I thought, "ohhhh...I probably shouldn't eat these." and then I thought, "you know what - don't sweat it. just do really well tomorrow." Some days I just REALLY DON'T FEEL LIKE COOKING (and DH isn't yet fully into the idea, though I'm slooooowly getting him into it). I've learned to not be hard on myself on those days & I'll just eat unsoaked beans or whatever it may be because I think it's better to eat something decent, if not great, than nothing! I think that's key - have the GOAL in mind, but don't kick yourself for not meeting it 100%.
#126 of 433 Old 09-21-2007, 01:33 PM

Well, I still have some Donna Hay books laying around,(cookbooks) and I made donuts for the first time last night:

But like a dope I forgot to add butter, so they were not at all moist, and tasted like sugared pretzels. So now of course I can imagine how good they would taste made correctly

Anyway, I may try to make a gingerbread this weekend.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#127 of 433 Old 09-22-2007, 02:18 PM

I never should have posted here. I think I was tempting the universe (and I knew darn well my little boy was waiting very impatiently)

Hi, I'm pregnant now
#128 of 433 Old 09-22-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde View Post
I never should have posted here. I think I was tempting the universe (and I knew darn well my little boy was waiting very impatiently)

Hi, I'm pregnant now
congrats!

Maybe we'll get everybody in here, who knows.

#129 of 433 Old 09-22-2007, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Teehee, welcome!
#130 of 433 Old 09-22-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post

Maybe we'll get everybody in here, who knows.
Congrats!!!!! and

Welcome new mamas!

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#131 of 433 Old 09-22-2007, 11:41 PM
Banned

oh, and i'm not pregnant. i got my period on thursday evening. it's good, though. we're happy with this process.
#132 of 433 Old 09-23-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph117 View Post
Welcome Ally'smom & nicolena!

Ally'smom - out of curiosity, your family has allergic reactions to raw dairy, too? Have you tried goat's milk yet? I know there are some people who won't tolerate it period. But I've heard that goat's milk is especially good for people who react to other milks.
Thanks!

We have not tried goat's milk. I've had one naturopath suggest that it would be okay, and another--the one who specializes in nutrition and helped us with the rotation diet and other gut healing stuff--encourage us to stay away from it. When our children are older, and dd's and my guts are healed, stable, and well functioning, I'd like to try it. We have a raw goat dairy not too far away from the raw cow dairy we used to use, and I would really like to try it out. I can't tell you how much I miss a good goat cheese, it's one of my favorite things on earth. But right now, dd's gut is still so sensitive that I'm afraid that, if she eats it, it might spark an intolerance that doesn't yet exist. At the rate that we're going, it will be years before we see any kind of stability in dd's gut function.
#133 of 433 Old 09-23-2007, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Wow. Is this the first generation that has seen widespread gut troubles and massive food allergies in toddlers? I don't remember many kids having those problems when I was growing up, but now I know so many people whose little children have significant problems of this type.
#134 of 433 Old 09-24-2007, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else dealing with a picky stomach?

Normally I eat a high fat, high protein diet (plus milk, kefir and fresh fruit). But lately my usual snacks turn me off. I feel like anything heavy (cheese, meat) just wouldn't digest well. The only thing that appeals to me is carbohydrate foods like pizza and bread, which is really weird for me. I'm only 4 weeks post ovulation and already put on 5 lbs. (Not a big deal, but the jump happened after I started eating lots of carbs.)

Is this weird? Anyone else having a similar experience?
#135 of 433 Old 09-24-2007, 09:35 AM

I don't want anything. I could just drink my weight in milk but we can't afford that.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#136 of 433 Old 09-25-2007, 12:01 AM

I am 20 weeks and I feel picky, but I want heavier foods (meat, fats) and some fruit. I was more into carbs the first trimester though.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#137 of 433 Old 09-25-2007, 12:07 AM

Taedereth, I am having a similar situation (though I'm gfcf, so not craving pizza). I usually avoid grains but I am really wanting them (and other starchy things) right now. I was reading in NT today and she has a quote like, "whole grains are the best source of B vitamins." And I'm thinking that B vitamins (and quick carby energy) are pretty important when you're building a placenta and a new person. So maybe that's it?
#138 of 433 Old 09-25-2007, 01:00 AM

I am the same way. I can eat fat, protein,and veggies and still not feel "full"

I know it is not the best for me though, so I have slowed down. I have been eating organic popcorn though, with brewers yeast,a lot. The yeast seems to make me feel happier and calm
But my stomach has been acting so bizarre. The runs one day, plugged up the next Either I was getting over a bug, or my system is trying hard to regulate itself.

#139 of 433 Old 09-25-2007, 01:04 AM

Yesterday was actually a good food day. All homeade(it usually is though.lol) I don't tend to ever rely on crap food to substitute. Or overly processed.
I had a croissant(!) with egg and cream cheese Then for lunch a big salad with skirt steak marinated in balsamic vinegar, and walnuts and cheese and tomatoes. Then dinner was some kamut noodles with a "hopping john" recipe. Lots of chard, beans, peppers, garlic, onions and tomatoes With yogurt on top.

I felt like I actually ate really well like I haven't in a while-meaning I could stomach stuff without a sour tummy. I think it may have been a bug we all caught.

#140 of 433 Old 09-25-2007, 09:52 AM

How long have you been interested in Traditional Foods and how did you first learn about it?
Just learned about it since I joined MDC last month, but it seems so logical and I've always hated processed foods and pasteurized milk. DH is THRILLED that I let him eat his meats without complaining now.

When is your baby due?
Just found out with a HPT last night, and it looks like May 29. Going to go see the midwife soon to find out for sure!

Which number child will this be for you, and what are the ages of your other children (if any)?
This will be #1.

What kind of birth are you having?
I'd love a home birth, but DP says it's "too messy." We'll see if he comes around. I've got about 35 weeks to work on him.

What are your other interests/hobbies?
I'm a musician, I love to teach, sew, knit, and CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN :. I'm also a voracious reader and my public library has a special place for me to put my book requests because I make so many of them. They just don't have enough good TF/unschooling/AP books!

What part of the world do you live in?
I live in Pennsylvania, and LOVE it, though if I had my choice and a guaranteed job, I'd be in Alaska. I'm a snowbird at heart.

One crazy fun fact about yourself!
I'm about 100lbs, and all my friends have been joking that once I'm , it'll just look like I have a basketball stuffed up my skirt. In reality, I'm excited that maybe I'll be able to keep on some of the weight after my pregnancy! Bring on the food, gals!

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#141 of 433 Old 09-25-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
Wow. Is this the first generation that has seen widespread gut troubles and massive food allergies in toddlers? I don't remember many kids having those problems when I was growing up, but now I know so many people whose little children have significant problems of this type.
I think it is just more noticeable now, and getting increasingly worse. I know my brother had food allergies as a child, but no-one recognized them as such.

#142 of 433 Old 09-25-2007, 04:42 PM
Banned

there's an article i read somewhere (was in here) about our homes being too clean, so the kids don't have enough to 'fight' from an immune system perspective, so the immune system 'pick's things to fight from what is around. and so, food it is.
#143 of 433 Old 09-25-2007, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
there's an article i read somewhere (was in here) about our homes being too clean, so the kids don't have enough to 'fight' from an immune system perspective, so the immune system 'pick's things to fight from what is around. and so, food it is.
Wow, that's crazy. So glad I let my DS play in the dirt

Thanks everybody who answered my question about carb cravings. Great point about whole grains providing necessary nutrients; I actually just read something about that in one of the TF sidebars yesterday when I went to make a sourdough starter. I'm using buckwheat and oat flours (soaked in kefir but not sprouted, alas). So I've got a sourdough jar going and also a "natural yeast bread" that I have made with that yeast that gathers on top of ripened kefir. Dom calls it "flowers of kefir." I hope it turns out well. Smells tasty. It'll go great with my homemade butter and fermented blackberry preserves!

Welcome Sme! You can tell your DP that birth really isn't messy the way he thinks. I had a homebirth and there was really no mess at all. The most time-consuming part was filling and draining the birth tub, but the water wasn't nasty, it just became a little pink-tinted. We also put down a painter's drop cloth around the tub but I don't remember any blood getting on it. If you have chux pads on hand, you can just er, "chuck" them out instead of having to wash them.
#144 of 433 Old 09-25-2007, 05:41 PM

i thought i posted days ago--it got lost, i guess.

no, i looked at ddc early on, but then i forgot about it! better check it out!

ASD--autism spectrum disorder. with the accompanying gut disorder--which is how i figured out it was autism in the first place, tho i went through a lot of denial.

re gut issues: i think they're pretty new, with this severity. i have several theories, which involve babies produced in bodies (like mine) that ate no fat or synthetic fat, along with other fake foods. i know that vaccines contributed to my girls' issues, as did antibiotics. i was prescribed antibiotics like it was candy (and it tasted like it, huh?) when i was younger. i think it really has a cumulative effect, and there are several variations, which is why there is no one cure for autism, or one sure way to "heal the gut." i could go on, but i'll stop myself.

i take btw 2 and 3 tsp of hi vit clo a day; i prefer radiant life's to blue ice, tho i wish they'd put it in glass. i wonder if i should spread it out over the day, and sometimes i worry that i take too much, but i'm nursing two and preggers (not that there seems to be much in there). my arm spots disappeared right around when i got pregnant, so i take that as a sign that my vit a levels are finally adequate.

but i worry about being too nourished, or too nourished with certain vits (all i wanted was steak and bacon for a few weeks). i take vit c derived from whole foods, some of dr ron's liver or organ supreme, and sometimes calcium. i worry that i'm experimenting, but at least there's no hfcs, refined sugar, food dyes and bizarre things that i ate during my last pregnancy......

i know there was something else, but the girls want out of the tub.......
#145 of 433 Old 09-25-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I think it is just more noticeable now, and getting increasingly worse. I know my brother had food allergies as a child, but no-one recognized them as such.
yeah--when i was reading about ASD and food, i remembered a boy i used to babysit--he's 20 now. he would always freak out after dinner, which was usually box mac and cheese or pizza. right away i thought he was on the low end of the spectrum, and i remember they tested him and thought he might be schizophrenic. fast forward to two weeks ago--his mom tells me they were testing him for college housing and diagnosed him high-functioning autistic!

food allergies suck, but at least i have an excuse not to eat the *%&# my inlaws prepare. "I can't; I'm still nursing."
#146 of 433 Old 09-25-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
this makes a lot of sense actually. And provided the dirt kids play in isn't filled with pesticides or lead(!!!) this can be a very good thing indeed. There is a lot of evidence out there about how people used to get most of the good bacteria they needed from working the soil, playing in the dirt/walking in the dirt, etc.

#147 of 433 Old 09-25-2007, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

The Maker's Diet recommends making mud pies

The only thing I worry about with DS playing in/eating dirt (he's 21 months) is that parasite eggs are in the soil, and it's really hard to prove that you have parasites, let alone get rid of them.

Er, at the risk of way TMI, a couple years ago I passed a roundworm (I know for a fact that it was because I took it to my doctor and she identified it). But when I went to a gastrointerologist (sp?) he was openly skeptical (like I would lie about seeing a worm?) and said that parasites are EXTREMELY rare, and anyway they're not harmful; they're just a symbiotic life form (or something to that effect). I don't understand his logic. Acidophilus is a symbiotic life form; parasites are...PARASITES. They steal our nutrition and are not good for us.

So anyway, I don't want DS getting worms by eating dirt, because apparently Western doctors are reluctant to treat them.
#148 of 433 Old 09-25-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:

The only thing I worry about with DS playing in/eating dirt (he's 21 months) is that parasite eggs are in the soil, and it's really hard to prove that you have parasites, let alone get rid of them.

Er, at the risk of way TMI, a couple years ago I passed a roundworm (I know for a fact that it was because I took it to my doctor and she identified it). But when I went to a gastrointerologist (sp?) he was openly skeptical (like I would lie about seeing a worm?) and said that parasites are EXTREMELY rare, and anyway they're not harmful; they're just a symbiotic life form (or something to that effect). I don't understand his logic. Acidophilus is a symbiotic life form; parasites are...PARASITES. They steal our nutrition and are not good for us.

So anyway, I don't want DS getting worms by eating dirt, because apparently Western doctors are reluctant to treat them.
I agree. it's sad....
I saw a discovery channel show not too long ago that really opened my eyes. It was about a certain type of parasite that is found in the slime of snails(we have sooooo many in our yard.......) or can be anyway- and if ants eat the slime of the snail, they get this parasite which literally takes over their brain and makes them want to sit around on flowers all day. THEN, cows foraging in fields eat the flowers with the ants on it and then the whole herd gets sick.

Parasites are NOT RARE. I believe most people, even organic grassfed foods people have them. I want to do another cleanse after the baby, but would love to find out if I could do a minor one now.

I have heard that getting enough msm, and taking things like oil of oregano can greatly reduce the chances of hosting live parasites.

#149 of 433 Old 09-25-2007, 07:32 PM

Sorry for changing the conversation a little bit, but I've noticed a huge shift in my metabolism. For a long time, I've been feeling really good eating three pretty good sized meals per day with little or no snacking in between, which they discuss in EFLF. But that is totally not working for me right now. Instead, I need to eat smaller meals every few hours. Otherwise, I get lightheaded and queasy.

I feel totally upside down, since it's alot easier (when you're cooking everything from scratch) to cook 3 meals per day instead of 6! I just can't figure out what to eat. And it can't be just snacks; my body really wants some carbs, protein, and fats every few hours. So ideas on that would be helpful--especially since we're gfcf. I think that's the real pisser; when I was pregnant with dd, I ate yogurt several times per day and that filled the void. Too bad I'm allergic to it . . . .
#150 of 433 Old 09-25-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:

Sure, but . . .

. . . see, this is one of those things where my brain just goes "but what about the things we don't know". Like, I'm sure acidophilus isn't the only microbial life form that should exist in an ultimately healthy gut ecosystem, and I'm even more sure that there are life forms present in the soil that modern science is as yet unaware of that we would all ideally have in our guts - possibly even varying based on specific location, perhaps things that would help us cleanse of all the toxins in our environment. The idea of "wildlife, but only as we control it" extends to our diets and makes me really squeamish about what it means for the future of humanity. Because, truly, we just don't know everything
So, my kids eat as much dirt as they want. They also eat bitter herbs that help regulate that gut ecosystem. Oh, also, you need "bad" bugs in some quantity to keep the "good" bugs from becoming "bad"
Fallon had an article in Naturally Healthy magazine about diet and parasites in '99 or so - I discovered it when I was cleaning out my stash of magazines. I'll dig up the article next time I think of it and see what it says.
Also, don't know if you believe in energetic medicine or not, but BodyTalk addresses parasites specifically It's pretty neat stuff.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page