Shelf life for raw milk? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 09-20-2007, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How long will raw milk keep? We just purchased our first milk today.

Thank You

Molly
#2 of 30 Old 09-20-2007, 03:19 PM

Mine has stayed good up to a week before starting to turn sour. It's still drinkable for a few days after that, but it won't be as sweet. Once it starts to turn you can also clabber it, or make cheese with it.

We're officially TTC!!!

I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
#3 of 30 Old 09-20-2007, 04:14 PM

Wow only a week!? Do you get it long after milking? Ours is always good for about 2 weeks. I get it maybe the day after milking, and then about 2 weeks from there.

I've had goats milk for 16 days
#4 of 30 Old 09-20-2007, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Well ours is uber fresh so hopefully it will last a bit longer than a week.

Any cheese making advice if I decide to go that route?
#5 of 30 Old 09-20-2007, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It should last a *good* 10 days in the fridge.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#6 of 30 Old 09-20-2007, 06:42 PM

Depends.
Thunderstorms make milk turn. Weird
How clean everything is makes a huge difference. I like everything the milk comes in contact with to be sterilized.

We like to drink milk up to a week old, after that it all for cooking. Milk that has turned can make wonderful rice puddings and the such.
#7 of 30 Old 09-20-2007, 07:35 PM

Ours usually last about 2 weeks. The last day or two it tastes a bit off, but not bad.

Leigh

#8 of 30 Old 09-20-2007, 09:20 PM

Well, I keep saying this on here, but no one seems to either notice, or believe me. Not sure which.
My raw milk lasts 4 weeks (or more, because it is always gone by then).

The farmer we get milk from lives about an hour's drive away, so we take a large cooler, buy 4 gallons, put two bags of ice over the top, and drive an hour away. And it stays fresh (and I have no tolerance for yucky stuff) for a month. Maybe more, but I've never kept any around longer than that.

The secret? The farmer says to keep it COLD. Get a thermometer, he told us, and keep the milk in the coldest part of the fridge. Keep the fridge at no warmer than 38 degrees, and colder is better. I keep my fridge just above freezing so my eggs don't freeze.

I could never stand to drink store bought milk after about two days, because my nose is so sensitive, I could tell it was "off" long before anyone else in the family could.

But, I tell ya, if you want to keep your milk fresh, keep it cold.

Also, when you go to pour it, take it out, pour it, put it immediately back in the fridge, and close the door.

He said that every hour the milk spends above 38 degrees takes a full day off the life of it.

Ok, I promise I won't tell that story anymore. Sorry. But I love my raw milk!
#9 of 30 Old 09-20-2007, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyinNC View Post
Well, I keep saying this on here, but no one seems to either notice, or believe me. Not sure which.
My raw milk lasts 4 weeks (or more, because it is always gone by then).

The farmer we get milk from lives about an hour's drive away, so we take a large cooler, buy 4 gallons, put two bags of ice over the top, and drive an hour away. And it stays fresh (and I have no tolerance for yucky stuff) for a month. Maybe more, but I've never kept any around longer than that.

The secret? The farmer says to keep it COLD. Get a thermometer, he told us, and keep the milk in the coldest part of the fridge. Keep the fridge at no warmer than 38 degrees, and colder is better. I keep my fridge just above freezing so my eggs don't freeze.

I could never stand to drink store bought milk after about two days, because my nose is so sensitive, I could tell it was "off" long before anyone else in the family could.

But, I tell ya, if you want to keep your milk fresh, keep it cold.

Also, when you go to pour it, take it out, pour it, put it immediately back in the fridge, and close the door.

He said that every hour the milk spends above 38 degrees takes a full day off the life of it.

Ok, I promise I won't tell that story anymore. Sorry. But I love my raw milk!
Thanks Peggy! Now I am excited! I took a cooler and put two bags of ice over my milk. The farm I went to is an hour and a half away. I keep my fridge super cold and that is where I am keeping the milk. Maybe it will last a long time that way!
#10 of 30 Old 09-20-2007, 09:23 PM

well good for you if you can keep milk for 4 weeks! hasn't happened to me, but I have made cheese out of it that old.

I always keep mine cold, with ice in transport.

Now my goat's milk will last a bit over two weeks
#11 of 30 Old 09-20-2007, 10:09 PM

We can keep milk weeks AS LONG as the jar isnt opened.
#12 of 30 Old 09-20-2007, 10:43 PM

My raw goat's milk seems to last 2-3 weeks after milking. However, I make all of it into Kefir so I don't know at what point it starts going sour because the kefir is so sour anyways

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#13 of 30 Old 09-21-2007, 12:45 AM

thanks PeggyinNC for your post.

I recently started drinking raw milk and after reading on this forums on various threads I kept 1 gallon in the freezer as soon as I came home. My other 1 gal was in the fridge and I finished drinking with in a week.

Now, I think I made a huge mistake in keeping one gal in the freezer as now I'm thawing and drinking it just taste AWFUL. Well, it doesn't taste anything and top of that there are these little grains types of things...I just hate it.

Does anyone here have the same problem with the raw milk once it's been frozen? I'm just so dissapointed with the frozen one....next time no freezing for me. Now I'm using that gal in cooking and making desert.

belly.gif heartbeat.gif   computergeek2.gif  
#14 of 30 Old 09-21-2007, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noorjahan View Post
Does anyone here have the same problem with the raw milk once it's been frozen? I'm just so dissapointed with the frozen one....next time no freezing for me. Now I'm using that gal in cooking and making desert.
If you ferment it into kefir using kefir grains it gives it a long shelf life and can actually boost its vitamin content if you ripen it at room temperature. I'd consider doing that with an extra gallon if you want to get as much nutrition out of it as possible.

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#15 of 30 Old 09-21-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:

I recently started drinking raw milk and after reading on this forums on various threads I kept 1 gallon in the freezer as soon as I came home. My other 1 gal was in the fridge and I finished drinking with in a week.

Now, I think I made a huge mistake in keeping one gal in the freezer as now I'm thawing and drinking it just taste AWFUL. Well, it doesn't taste anything and top of that there are these little grains types of things...I just hate it.

I think I heard something about you cannot mix the cream back in well after freezing.
#16 of 30 Old 09-21-2007, 02:56 AM

I froze a half-gallon of raw milk early on, and I hated the texture and the taste. I was told that the fat globules explode when it's frozen, so it becomes sort of separated after it's thawed.

Well, I get my raw milk from OP at the co-op, so it must be a few days old already when I get it. Tomorrow I'm picking up my first gallon of raw goat's milk straight from the farm, so I'll see how long that lasts. I'll turn down the temp in my fridge tonight just to be sure!

We're officially TTC!!!

I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
#17 of 30 Old 09-21-2007, 08:52 PM

raw goat milk freezes most excellently. I just leave it on the counter, shake occasionally, and the next day I have delicious milk. I have heard many times that cow's milk doesn't fare so well, though.
#18 of 30 Old 09-21-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbchavez View Post
raw goat milk freezes most excellently. I just leave it on the counter, shake occasionally, and the next day I have delicious milk. I have heard many times that cow's milk doesn't fare so well, though.
REALLY? This could totally help me out. So if I bought a bunch I could freeze the latter next weeks worth so I could buy every other week? This could work for me, and my gas tank! Does it still taste good out of the glass?
#19 of 30 Old 09-21-2007, 09:06 PM

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread but, can you still drink raw milk if you are intolerant of whole milk? I can eat all types of diary without a problem, but whole milk tears me up. Should I skim the cream off the top?

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#20 of 30 Old 09-21-2007, 09:22 PM

I bought 9 gallons of raw goat's milk 3 weeks ago and put lots of those gallons in the freezer. They thaw out beautifully Next time I go I will get a few more gallons. It's a long boring drive out there with 3 kids in the backseat!
#21 of 30 Old 09-22-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:

Hmm, I've been freezing my milk and it tastes just fine to me. I freeze it in leftover 1/2 gallon plastic containers (my ds needs a lot of prune juice so I always have some handy ) and then let it thaw in the fridge. I just had some warmed up a few minutes ago and it was delish. I'd read previously that you can add 1/4 tsp. baking soda to a gallon of milk before freezing and it's supposed to keep the cream/fat from chunking up. I've tried it and it didn't affect the taste at all. I'm no longer doing it though, because I don't seem to have any real problems with "chunkiness." I get Jersey milk, don't know it that makes any difference.

In regards to the cream, I've heard that it can't be whipped after it's been frozen but otherwise it seems to be just fine. Definitely makes good ice cream (after being thawed and added into the ice cream mix).
#22 of 30 Old 10-02-2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miasmamma View Post
Don't mean to hi-jack this thread but, can you still drink raw milk if you are intolerant of whole milk? I can eat all types of diary without a problem, but whole milk tears me up. Should I skim the cream off the top?
When you say you're intolerant, do you mean of pasteurized milk?
Lots of such folks have found they can handle milk when it's fresh and raw.
Worth a try!
About the cream, I don't know

I found this thread trying to find out the shelf life/useful life of buttermilk.
Is it any different? Is there any limit to how old it can be, and still be a good ingredient in waffles or cakes or what-have-you?
My buttermilk starts smelling mildly icky to me pretty soon after I make butter, but as I see in this thread, the time it spends warming up on the counter before I make the butter must shorten its life considerably.

I used some that smelled medium-icky in a chocolate cake, and it turned out fine... but how bad is too bad?
Has anyone ever tested the limits?
With either milk or buttermilk?

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#23 of 30 Old 10-06-2007, 02:13 PM

keeping it cold is key. my farmer says don't keep it in the door, that's the warmest place in the fridge.

mine keeps for about 7 days. however if I leave on the counter when I am cooking (which i did this week), it starting to go off early.

don't worry you will know when it does, it starts to taste sour.
#24 of 30 Old 10-07-2007, 07:45 PM

We get ours 1-3 days after milking.

Lasts up to two weeks and then it gets "off".

And yep if it gets warm it can go in days.

Resistance is futile Matey
#25 of 30 Old 10-08-2007, 03:29 AM

I'm in Japan, and the farm I order from said their milk lasts for a month. I've had the current delivery for 2 weeks so far, and it still tastes great.

42-year-old mama to DS (5) and DD (3)
#26 of 30 Old 10-10-2007, 04:41 AM

I'm lactose intolerant as well. I can handle raw milk a little better than pasteurized milk but it still definitely gives me symptoms.

Okay - I have a stupid question...I've been skimming the cream off and making butter, but...how do I make whipped cream? When I buy whipping cream from the store and put it into my handy dandy Magic Bullet it takes like 10 seconds to make whipped cream. When I skim the cream off of the top of our raw milk and mix it, it just eventually turns into butter but not whipped cream. What am I missing?

I'm really wanting to get into making yogurt and yogurt cheese but just haven't found the motivation yet.
#27 of 30 Old 10-10-2007, 05:04 AM

Indefinitely.. sort of. I find it starts to taste a little sour after 3-4 days, but it's drinkable for weeks, edible (because at that point it's not really liquid anymore) after months! Yeah I've forgotten it in my fridge many times. The cheese can be used in food
#28 of 30 Old 10-10-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapayaVagina View Post

Okay - I have a stupid question...I've been skimming the cream off and making butter, but...how do I make whipped cream? When I buy whipping cream from the store and put it into my handy dandy Magic Bullet it takes like 10 seconds to make whipped cream. When I skim the cream off of the top of our raw milk and mix it, it just eventually turns into butter but not whipped cream. What am I missing?
I make mine in the blender. It takes about 5 min (maybe a bit longer) to get to the butter stage. Before it is butter the sound of the blender changes and you can tell that everything got a lot thicker. That's the whipped cream. I'm always scared of missing that point and skipping to the butter so I usually use the mixer to make whipped cream. It takes longer, but it's harder to accidentally make butter.

Leigh

#29 of 30 Old 10-10-2007, 12:55 PM

one more thing: my farmer says fridges were designed for milk to be in th worst possible places: the door and on top near the light. put it on the bottom in the back - mostly away from the light and escaping cold.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#30 of 30 Old 10-27-2007, 11:53 PM

Hello!

Just wanted to say that after I posted here last time, I bought 3 gal of milk on the 9th of this month and we just finished it today. I didn't freeze it this time. And I'm really happy to say that it didn't go sour and it was good like the first week!! So, pretty much it had a good shelf life of 2+weeks. As a matter of fact, the last gal of milk even didn't start to taste bad, so I guess if we had some left it would have lasted few more days!!

I'm so happy! I couldn't take the weird taste of frozen milk!!

Oh, sidenote- I did put the gallons in the back of the fridge and not in the front or on the door.

belly.gif heartbeat.gif   computergeek2.gif  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page