Should we try raw milk to heal DS's eczema? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-20-2007, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted about this in allergies, and someone suggested I come on over and ask here. Good idea, eh? I'm new here, so if I sound ignorant, I probably am.

I've recently eliminated dairy from 2yo DS's diet, in an attempt to see if it was causing his eczema. His case is not severe, but annoying enough (especially for him) to try to get to the bottom of it. I suspect that he has a dairy intolerance or sensitivity, not an actual allergy.

A friend of mine said I really should try him on some cultured raw dairy products, and I think she meant that a person might do better on raw dairy than no dairy at all. That is to say, I hear some people saying "oh I can tolerate raw dairy just fine, but not pasteurized." But I think she meant that the raw dairy could actually make him BETTER (by restoring the gut flora), as opposed to him just "being able to tolerate it." Does that make sense?

But when I posted in the allergy thread, someone said this:

"Casein is casein... that doesn't change in raw milk. If you're dealing with an IgE mediated allergy, trying a raw or cultured dairy product would not be a wise thing. Eczema usually denotes an IgE allergy of some kind.

If you want to restore the gut flora without the risk involved with a milk allergy, there are dairy free sources for that."

I think she makes a good point, but I'm somewhat sure that this is not an IgE mediated dairy allergy. If it was, don't you think his symptoms would be worse? His eczema, like I said, is not extremely bad. I'm pretty sure he does have an IgE allergy of some kind, but I don't think it's dairy.

I guess, now that I'm thinking about it, if I'm wrong and he DOES have a true dairy allergy with only mild reactions, the worst that could happen is I could try him on raw milk and he would have an eczema flare up. Right?

But the best that could happen is that it could heal his gut and the allergy to whatever unknown thing might go away. And, I could get some more fat and calories back into his diet which I'm keen to do as he struggles to keep the weight on.

Do you follow me? Sorry I'm having a hard time making sense. Y'think I should go for the raw milk? It's still a week till I can get my hands on any, so I can keep him totally dairy free till then and see what he looks like by then.
#2 of 15 Old 09-20-2007, 04:55 PM

My son sounds quite a bit like yours. He gets an eczema type rash when he drinks pastuerized cows milk. We eliminated Dairy from his diet a long time ago.

I just purchased our first raw milk today and I am going to try him on it.

I'll let you know how it goes!
#3 of 15 Old 09-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Banned

i think it's worth a try. my husband had "milk bumps" and psoriosis and eczema for a long time (over 12 years) and healed it by taking CLO and butter. that's his 'majic combination.' it made all the difference for him (he had a major vitamin A deficiency, and then that has a connection to D, so these two foods took care of his issue).

i am lactose sensitive or intolerant, but i can do raw dairy fine, not pasturized. i have had modest eczema occassionally (on my elbows, comes and goes), but when i'm on a lot of fat (dairy and otherwise), i tend to not have it.
#4 of 15 Old 09-20-2007, 05:06 PM

I've been dealing, more like fighting eczema with DD, for a while. I suspect she has a *slight* intolerance to dairy.

I would very, very very *I can not say how strongly* suggest raw goat's milk.

I have been dealing for a while with issues with DD. Nothing drastic, just annoying and I dont' feel she should have to grow up with anything but health and pretty skin. now mind you some people will just have a bit of eczema, but usually diet is the culprit.

I had DD drinking raw goat's milk. But some things gave her really bad stomach troubles for a short time, and I worried it was the milk. We switched to raw cows milk and I even gave it to her cultured, but no luck. Eczema like you wouldn't believe!

I really feel like I've found a miracle here. I was actually going to post about it because I know a lot of people have the same issues. I give her CLO, and raw goat's milk, as well as a small bit of raw goat's milk kefir with some maple syrup as a drink. In 3 days now she has had a vast improvement so I am completely sold. Bye bye cow milk for DD.

I LOVE the taste of raw cow milk, and still buy it but DD I am strictly limiting to goat's milk....except for cheese which seems ok
#5 of 15 Old 09-20-2007, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post

I would very, very very *I can not say how strongly* suggest raw goat's milk.
May I ask...how does goat's milk...ahem...taste?
#6 of 15 Old 09-20-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilliepepper View Post
May I ask...how does goat's milk...ahem...taste?
Well, some people say it tastes more goatey if that is a word. There is a gal here who has the absolute best goats milk. I actually think it tastes better than the cows milk.

Find a farmer and try it. Some goats I guess just have more goaty milk then others.
#7 of 15 Old 09-20-2007, 06:20 PM

My daughter has battled eczema for about 8 years now. She is currently free of eczema. The main irritant for her is pastuerized cow's milk. We have been on raw and cultured dairy since she was about 5. She drinks raw milk, eats cultured yogurt and raw milk cheeses.

She will have an eczema outbreak if exposed to pasteurized cow's milk (such as non-home-made ice cream).

We have used evening primrose oil supplements and also applied to the areas where eczema is present. Her dermatologist suggested royal jelly for areas on her face. While both of these help once the eczema occurs, the only preventative we have found is NO pasteurized milk products.

She has never been tested for food allergies--this was done via trial and error as her eczema was a "mild" case.

At any rate...it works for us.

Ang
#8 of 15 Old 09-20-2007, 06:21 PM

My son had issues with raw or cooked cow's milk and now at age 3 does fine on raw cow milk. He still cannot have pasturized cow milk though. I let him try 1 very small square of pasturized cow cheese last week and he got chapped red skin around his mouth. (It looks like eczema and last a few days)

He has always done well any type of goat milk product. I would definately go for the raw goat milk if you have a source near you. I have read that fresh raw goats milk is delicious from people who hate store bought/pasturized goat's milk. I have heard Nubian goat's have the best milk generally, but there are a lot of variables to good milk.

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#9 of 15 Old 09-20-2007, 07:12 PM

biggest issue for me is DD still has a bottle at night and for naps, maybe two other times a day.

This gal has Oberhaslis, some of the best in the country I've read, and it is some mighty fine tasting milk!

The tough thing is cooking with it. It hink when you cook with goat's milk it tastes more gamey then cold
#10 of 15 Old 09-21-2007, 01:27 PM

I don't entirely agree with whoever posted on your thread on the allergy form. Yes, casein is casein, and if it is the casein in pasteurized dairy that your DS reacts to, he'll react to it in raw milk also...with one sort of exception. There are actually two different types of casein (my knowledge of this is a bit spotty so someone might come along with a more accurate explanation), A1 and A2. Milk sold in stores almost always contains the A1 type because those cows produce more milk. Goat milk and certain types of cows, like Jerseys, produce A2 milk, which is why some people tolerate goat milk but not cow milk, and may also be why some people tolerate raw milk but not pasturized as it seems like a lot of raw milk producers have Jerseys.

I strongly disagree that eczema usually indicates IgE mediated allergies. IgE allergies are relatively rare compared to IgG mediated ones, and I know lots of people/kids who have eczema, none of whom have IgE (anaphylactic) allergies.

So...I would say to go ahead and do a trial with raw milk, preferably goat or Jersey cow milk as long as he doesn't have anaphylactic reactions. But if he reacts, take dairy out of his diet. The benefits of the probiotics in raw milk yogurt/kefir/etc are not going to outweigh the drawbacks of the reactions if he does react to it.
#11 of 15 Old 09-21-2007, 02:05 PM

My DD with dairy sensitivity (I don't know if its a *true* allergy or not) cannot do pasteurized milk either. She isn't to the point of tolerating raw milk, but she has just become capable of handling raw goat's milk kefir. I would really suggest looking into making kefir because you can get the benefits of raw milk with a huge dose of probiotics at the same time, which to me is a win-win situation.

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#12 of 15 Old 09-21-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I don't entirely agree with whoever posted on your thread on the allergy form. Yes, casein is casein, and if it is the casein in pasteurized dairy that your DS reacts to, he'll react to it in raw milk also...with one sort of exception. There are actually two different types of casein (my knowledge of this is a bit spotty so someone might come along with a more accurate explanation), A1 and A2. Milk sold in stores almost always contains the A1 type because those cows produce more milk. Goat milk and certain types of cows, like Jerseys, produce A2 milk, which is why some people tolerate goat milk but not cow milk, and may also be why some people tolerate raw milk but not pasturized as it seems like a lot of raw milk producers have Jerseys.

I strongly disagree that eczema usually indicates IgE mediated allergies. IgE allergies are relatively rare compared to IgG mediated ones, and I know lots of people/kids who have eczema, none of whom have IgE (anaphylactic) allergies.

So...I would say to go ahead and do a trial with raw milk, preferably goat or Jersey cow milk as long as he doesn't have anaphylactic reactions. But if he reacts, take dairy out of his diet. The benefits of the probiotics in raw milk yogurt/kefir/etc are not going to outweigh the drawbacks of the reactions if he does react to it.
Yes about the A2 milk. Here is info on that: http://www.frot.co.nz/dietnet/basics/milk.htm

I have read though that pasturization changes casein, but maybe that is just in the area of digestibility.

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#13 of 15 Old 09-21-2007, 03:51 PM

My dd has only had excema once, in reaction to tomatoes. But she has a bad facial rash when she comes into contact with allergens. BOTH pasturized and raw milk bother her.

My thought with the excema and the struggle keeping weight on is that he has other allergies that you don't know about. Are you doing a rotation diet? Daily (dairy free) probiotics? Have you tried eliminations of other major allergens? How much fat is in his diet? All of these things might also help.
#14 of 15 Old 09-21-2007, 07:43 PM

This doesn't really answer your question, but I've seen great results with high vitamin Cod Liver Oil for eczema.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#15 of 15 Old 09-22-2007, 05:01 PM

This thread inspired me to test out my own Igg dairy allergy. I've been cow's milk free since May, but I seem to be okay with yogurted goat's milk. This morning we picked up some raw cow's milk and I had a big glass of it at lunch time, mixed with vamilla and coconut cream concentrate and ice cubes (we didn't have any bananas left). Anyway, since I drank it, I've had after burps, similar to what I used to get after eating CLO. I'm wondering if this is a sign that I'm not tolerating it? That would be pretty subtle though, so I'm assuming it's not the case. I'll see what transpires as time progresses.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page