dairy without casein - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-24-2007, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my dd has a casein sensitivity. the only dairy she eats is ghee (clarified butter) does fementing (yogurt? kefir?) break down casein? also is the protein in goat milk called casein? are some ppl sensitive to only casein in cow milk? thanks! -gila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-27-2007, 02:13 PM

bumping because I was hoping for some clarification on this as well. I have to do a dairy elimination for DS because he's having some tolerance issue with something I'm ingesting and I'm finding it difficult to plan food for me without dairy.

The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials. ~ Chinese proverb
#3 of 6 Old 09-27-2007, 04:17 PM

It's rought to figure out exactly waht they react to. DD drinks goat's milk just fine, much easier protein to digest
#4 of 6 Old 09-27-2007, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If casein cannot be tolerated at all, then the only dairy products I've seen that are okay are certified casein-free ghee (don't know where to buy it, I've just seen references that it exists), and butter oil (the high-price supplement for vitK2 X-factor).

We need to avoid all casein, and these are the only things I'd consider (but I haven't purchased, partially because I don't know where to get that kind of ghee, and partially due to price).

I think goat's milk has less casein than cow's, and I _think_ fermenting can change some of the casein (I think it breaks down some), but not all.

I have gotten the impression that unless you absolutely need to remove all casein, the only way to figure out what small amounts are okay is to experiment. Goat's milk in general, and fermented products in general, seem to be better tolerated, but it really seems individual as to what's okay and what's not. I don't know if there's a better way to go about it than to just try.
#5 of 6 Old 09-27-2007, 08:33 PM

As I understand the casein in goat's milk is different from cows. My ds could toerate goat's milk but not cows.
http://www.frot.co.nz/dietnet/basics/milk.htm

Quote:
A1 vs A2 milk

Another aspect of the milk is whether the beta-casein component of the protein is A1 type or A2 type. Although it's not conclusive at this stage, research done at Lincoln University, in New Zealand, has shown correlations between A1 milk and diseases such as heart disease and Type 1 diabetes. These diseases have no such correlations with A2 milk.
Quote:
Originally, all milk was A2. About 5000 years ago there was a mutation in Europe and the A1 genes spread through cow herds. These days:

Goats and sheep milk is equivalent to A2 milk, as is human milk.
Heirloom breeds tend to have more A2, newer breeds - A1.
Different countries have a different mix between the two. For example, Iceland is mainly A2, where Finland is more A1. the level of heart disease is higher in Finland.
Masai and other African cattle only produce A2 milk, which is significant when you consider that the Masai are very healthy on a diet of mainly meat, blood and fermented milk, with little heart disease.
There is some A2 milk and cream available in New Zealand, try your organic store.
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032400.asp
Quote:
Goat's milk may also have advantages when it comes to allergies. Goat's milk contains only trace amounts of an allergenic casein protein, alpha-S1, found in cow's milk. Goat's milk casein is more similar to human milk, yet cow's milk and goat's milk contain similar levels of the other allergenic protein, beta lactoglobulin. Scientific studies have not found a decreased incidence of allergy with goat's milk, but here is another situation where mothers' observations and scientific studies are at odds with one another. Some mothers are certain that their child tolerates goat's milk better than cow's milk, and mothers are more sensitive to children's reactions than scientific studies
Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#6 of 6 Old 09-27-2007, 10:15 PM

I can't have cow dairy or goat dairy. Everyone is different.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page