Sprouted/dehydrated sesame seeds taste horrible! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2007, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm trying to sprout a bunch of seeds to put into my TF powerbars and granola. I sprouted sesame seeds until tiny white sprouts came out and then dehydrated them. But they taste horrible! So I am now toasting them in the oven and they've regained somewhat of a sesame taste but still have that bitter or otherwise yucky flavor too. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2007, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My sunflower seeds came out that way when I dried them in metal and/or enamel pans. Also, where I live it takes a few days in the dehydrator or oven, not 24 hours. It's really humid here in the south, is Bellingham damp like Seattle? That would mean more drying time too. A lot more. Another minutae is that different nuts really take different soaking times, and I haven't figured that out yet. I am sure however that all of the NT recipes are more of a ymmv deal. She does not seem to have taken humidity into effect-yogurt cheese molds here on the counter while straining, for instance.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmm. Yes it's damp here, and I dehydrated them for a couple days, I think. They're dry and toasty now, but they've got this sprout-y flavor that's just kind of bitter. Maybe I'd have better luck soaking them in salt water without actually sprouting them?

User Tag List