Possible egg allergy and also raw vs cooked eggs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-23-2007, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wonder if anybody could help here. I found out via muscle testing by a chiropractor about 10 years ago that I have an egg intoerance. At the time he also found intolerance to wheat (but ok on spelt and kamut) and cow dairy (ok on goat and sheep). I cut all those things for a while but gradually started again. I have never noticed any sort of violent reaction to food in terms of rashes or itchy throat or anything, more of a kind of hangover feeling, low energy, nasal congestion, eczema, etc. I started raw milk about 6 months ago when I discovered TF and seemed to be fine. Also started eating a lot more eggs. Now I am 11 weeks pregnant and can't face milk/kefir/yoghurt in any form apart from cheese. Still eating eggs. And really congested all the time. I know part of that congestion can be pregnancy induced, but I'm just wondering since I'm eating less dairy, could the egg allergy have reared its ugly head again? Just wondering what an egg allergy/intolerance looks like in terms of symptoms? Different from dairy/wheat? Also, would raw eggs be less likely to cause a problem than cooked? Should I ditch the whites and just do the yellows? Just that being pregnant I'm reluctant to do an elimination diet at this time. I saw my naturopath who is totally into TF and she doesn't favor elimination diets, but rather rebuilding the immune system to tolerate stuff so she's given me some herbs. Sorry this has turned out to be long but I hope someone can help. Thanks!

DD energy.gif 7.5, forever missing DS brokenheart.gif lost in childbirth at 42wks, DDrainbow1284.gif 1.5, angel.gif 1/11 at 9 wks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 10-23-2007, 04:27 AM

Actually in cases of allergy you are more likely to tolerate cooked eggs, or just yolks. Most of the time unfortunately it's the whole egg no matter how ya serve it, but some can actually tolerate small bits of cooked like in baked goods
#3 of 9 Old 10-23-2007, 04:28 AM

I don't know how much help I can offer, but I think intolerances can rear up anytime, really. And I've been told that they tend to come up when you're eating a lot of the same food every day. So you might want to cut back on eggs for a while and see if that helps - maybe eat them every other day or every third day. NT advises to eat the whites well-cooked, and the yolks more raw or runny if cooked.

I'm interested to see what others have to say, because I'm going through a similar problem, although I haven't gone through a whole battery of muscle testing yet...that's my next step. My blood test showed up negative for everything except a little reaction to dairy and kidney beans! Of all the random things...anyway, I digress. Please update as you figure things out!

We're officially TTC!!!

I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
#4 of 9 Old 10-23-2007, 04:10 PM

The amines in eggs increase as they age, so you could be having a histamine reaction to the age of the egg. Try eggs that are a day or so old (hopefully you have a farm nearby so you can know when the eggs were laid) and see if that makes a difference. Also, some people really react to whites but not the yolk.
#5 of 9 Old 10-23-2007, 04:31 PM

I am intolerant to egg whites (albumin), I eat at least 6 raw egg yolks per day with no ill effect. I also seem to tolerate hard boiled eggs with no problem.
#6 of 9 Old 10-23-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EENS View Post
I am intolerant to egg whites (albumin), I eat at least 6 raw egg yolks per day with no ill effect. I also seem to tolerate hard boiled eggs with no problem.
Allergies to egg whites are very common- my kids D.O. told us anyway. I am also allergic to whites. Allergy reactions can vary and sometimes your symptoms may seem unrelated to the food you ate. I recommend going off eggs for a period of time and then after they have cleared from your system, see what your reactions is, if you reintroduce them.
#7 of 9 Old 10-23-2007, 08:30 PM

Just a strange factoid I came across recently... apparently it is common to cross-react with eggs and ragweed. Sooo... if it's ragweed season down there, and IF you're allergic to it (remember, new airborne allergies *can* arise at any time), it might make you sort of allergic to eggs. But only until the ragweed pollen levels drop.
Weird, huh?
I think raw yolks, like in smoothies or homemade salad dressing, would be the safest way to go. All the good choline, but no albumin. If avoiding the whites doesn't seem to help, yikes... maybe no egg at all.
For what it's worth, I seem to get stuffy earlier and earlier with each pregnancy. I've been majorly stuffed up for a few weeks now, and I'm 15-ish weeks. Ugh. Who needs to breathe, right?

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#8 of 9 Old 10-24-2007, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Ah thanks everyone for your responses. Bit reluctant to eliminate them altogether at the moment because like I said I pretty much can't face much dairy, and I'm already off wheat and I've read so much about eggs being good during pregnancy and just trying to give this baby a better start teeth-wise than my daughter had. So perhaps I'll try just the yolks or perhaps hard boiled only and try and get them fresh somewhere. I'm not sure about ragweed and whether it grows here, never heard of it actually, so will see if I can ask a local gardener who knows their stuff. Junegoddess maybe it is just something exacerbated by pregnancy. And Herbangirl goodluck with the muscle testing and your own healing.

DD energy.gif 7.5, forever missing DS brokenheart.gif lost in childbirth at 42wks, DDrainbow1284.gif 1.5, angel.gif 1/11 at 9 wks
#9 of 9 Old 10-24-2007, 12:12 PM

Personally, cooked eggs, like scrambled, made me violently sick until I got my gut healed up, but I could tolerate them in baked goods or raw. That was so weird, and I wish I knew why it happened like that.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page