kombucha yay or nay? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-23-2007, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really really want to start drinking Kombucha for its health benefits. However I am nursing my now 4 mo. old dd. Could I start drinking it in tiny amounts? Are there any experts out there? I have a feeling that I will be nursing and/or pregnant for a long time to come!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
its fine for nursing/pregnancy but it does have like 0.1% alcohol (which is not an issue imo).
also i believe it has caffeine (dont quote me on that though), and some babies are sensitive to caffeine. neither of my kids were ever affected by caffeine though.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

Old 10-23-2007, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response Homemademomma. I just want to clarify though..... I have read that if I haven't already started before pregnancy or nursing that it shouldn't be taken. Is that because the baby might not be tolerant to the alcohol or caffeine? Were you already taking it before you were pregnant or did you start after?

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:08 PM

I started drinking it when I was nursing. No problems here. if you're worried about caffeine, brew your kombucha with green tea instead of black.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:29 PM

I suspect the reason for starting before baby is that KT can cause a detox. Although I eat fairly healthy, when I started, I figured, a couple ounces, no problem....but I ended up drinking about 8 the first day. I had severe flu-like symptoms that night and all the next day. I waited a couple of days, then did 2oz, the nextday 4oz, gradulally increasing, and now I drink a lot of it, cause I enjoy it. Probably if you are very careful to not over do it, you and baby would be fine.
Bett
Old 10-23-2007, 09:09 PM

I'm told not to do kombucha while nursing or pregnant unless you did it before you were pregnant because of the potential detox. You don't want to overwhelm your little one's body with toxins out of yours.

If you feel your body is pretty clean, then I suppose there's no problem. I personally haven't started kombucha for this reason. A few more years perhaps.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

I want to take kombucha to clean up my system. I plan on being incredibly cautious with my intake because I am nursing though. Hmmm... My body is very unhappy at the moment and I want to fix it but am unsure of how to do so.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:57 AM

Ok I should add that when I first started drinking kombucha I also took a Tbsp liquid bentonite clay every day for a while (to absorb any toxins that might be released into my system).

And I have no clue whether this is related or coincidental, but shortly after I started drinking KT, I got the WORST yeast infection of my life. It was SO BAD I didn't even think it could be just yeast; I thought there was a major health issue. Someone suggested maybe I'd had an issue with candida overgrowth and the KT pushed it to the surface before correcting the yeast balance in my body. But anyway, a prescription cream cleared it up quickly (in retrospect, I should have just gone to my doctor right away instead of waiting a week while it got really bad, but doctor's visits can be expensive so I held off and tried home remedies first.) Since then I've had no yeast infections and no reactions to KT whatsoever.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote: Taedareth Ok I should add that when I first started drinking kombucha I also took a Tbsp liquid bentonite clay every day for a while (to absorb any toxins that might be released into my system).

So this would keep any toxins out of my milk? I am concerned about that.

I know that I have Candida issues so thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:03 PM

As I understand it, yes. Bentonite clay is VERY effective at absorbing toxins, which is why people usually take it when doing colon cleansing. Although people on this forum have said that any toxins released by kombucha wouldn't get into your milk regardless; they'd stay in your blood stream and be filtered by your kidneys. Opinions on that subject vary.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:43 PM

We're about to brew our own. We've gotten it from friends before, but this will be our first time making it ourselves.
I have a question though:
Because of a mismanagement of my pregnancy with gestational diabetes, I have pre diabetes and I am trying very hard to keep it from getting worse. Will the kombucha be harmful in that respect?
Thanks
Old 10-24-2007, 10:02 PM

Hmm well it does have sugar. If you don't want any sugar, brew it for a few weeks and all the sugar will get burned up. You'll have to choke down the vinegar but... it's good for you!

User Tag List