ways to eat coconut oil? finding it difficult to eat. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-29-2007, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm trying to eat coconut oil, but i really don't like the taste. so i'm wondering how i can disguise it in food or what i can have it with that would enhance it. i love fresh coconut but i just find the oil makes me feel sick. i was having it in warm water and drinking it but that made me feel sick. i can't cook it with eggs because i really don't like that. so any other ideas how i can eat it and actually enjoy eating it?

thanks..

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :
#2 of 20 Old 10-29-2007, 07:47 PM

On toast with a little honey and/or cinnamon is deeeelicious!!!

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#3 of 20 Old 10-29-2007, 07:50 PM

stir into peanut butter and spread on celery or apples.

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
#4 of 20 Old 10-29-2007, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I find it's good in baking.

If you don't like eating it plain, then don't eat it plain! Eat lots of whole coconut instead!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#5 of 20 Old 10-29-2007, 08:11 PM

: to everything mentioned already.

Another ideas is using some to cook up black beans. Goes great together!

I especially love the toast/honey/butter/almond butter (some combo of those) idea. We do that often.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#6 of 20 Old 10-29-2007, 08:46 PM

I like to use it with mexican food, to saute up onions, beans, tomatoes for burritos or steak or chicken, peppers and onions for fajitas. I've never been able to taste it that way. I use it sometimes in place of olive oil for cooking when I don't want the olive taste.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#7 of 20 Old 10-29-2007, 08:58 PM

I can NOT stand the taste of coconut oil and being pregnant now I hate it even more. But....I do take it mixed in a bit of juice (carrot, orange, whatever I juiced that day). I drink it really fast like a vodka shot or something.

Before I developed a really serious aversion to the taste, I used to mix it in raw milk smoothie - raw milk, 2 egg yolk, banana, and coconut oil. I drank that really fast too.
#8 of 20 Old 10-30-2007, 12:59 AM

smoothies.

Have you read the Coconut diet? Good ideas there.
#9 of 20 Old 10-30-2007, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The Artisana Raw Organic Coconut butter is easier to eat than regular coconut oil, but I think you would have to eat more of it to get as much of the oil. It's very good, though.
#10 of 20 Old 10-30-2007, 01:04 AM

I too can't eat it plain. But adding a tablespoon on top of stir fries, stews, and soups is palatable for me. Also if I have a cup of regular black tea (non-TF I know) with a dash of milk then I can usually add a tablespoon on top and that's actually quite nice. I've also read to make sure that you get a really good quality unrefined coconut oil as the inferior quality ones can taste a lot worse. Eat Fat Lose Fat has some great coconut recipes.

DD energy.gif 7.5, forever missing DS brokenheart.gif lost in childbirth at 42wks, DDrainbow1284.gif 1.5, angel.gif 1/11 at 9 wks
#11 of 20 Old 10-30-2007, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone, i'm glad to hear i'm not the only one who finds it difficult. unfortunatly we can't eat bread, grains or beans! but mixing it with nut butter sounds good, and i could do the smoothies aswell.

many thanks

dd 07/07/03 : ds born 07/09/09 :
#12 of 20 Old 10-30-2007, 08:26 AM

I put a spoonful in my hot tea with raw honey every morning. Can't taste it really, just makes it look oily!! I also put a big scoop in my breakfast smoothies when I make them. There's sometimes little chunks of it still, but I like it!!

Also cooking with it whenever possible.

Kelly
#13 of 20 Old 10-30-2007, 09:20 AM

When frying or sauteing with it, I mix it 1:1 with butter or sometimes 1:1:1 with olive oil in addition.

For drinking it, I melt 2 Tbsp with 1/3 c warm milk, and sprinkle it with cardamom and black pepper.

Or I make warm "coconut-nog." This is a cup of warm milk with the melted c. oil, sometimes some cream, sometimes an egg yolk or two, a little maple syrup, a little vanilla, and a bit of eggnong spice I keep premixed in a little jar: nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, black pepper, cardamom.

My favorite way to drink it (for efficiency and my tendency to like savory more than sweet) is melted and mixed with a 1/4 cup of pickle juice. It's delicious. You can't taste the oil at all, and the pickle juice is acidic enough to cut the oiliness to almost unnoticable. Plus I'm sure the pickle juice helps me digest the oil better.
#14 of 20 Old 10-30-2007, 07:32 PM

I was surprised to find that different brands of coconut oil taste different (to me, at least). I think the Nutiva brand tastes great by itself, and I eat it by the spoon just fine, but when I tried some of the Tropical Traditions coconut oil, I thought it was horrid when eaten plain. So you might sample some different brands and see whether one tastes better than others.

Oh, and I make dh a smoothie with milk, ice, coconut oil and a banana and he thinks it's great. It's too sweet for me, but he thinks it's similar to a pina colada.
#15 of 20 Old 10-30-2007, 08:21 PM

I cook pancakes with coconut oil.
#16 of 20 Old 10-30-2007, 11:15 PM

I completely agree with MMGerard - I find Tropical traditions horrid. I cannot even stand the smell of it. I like Nutiva. It doesn't have as strong of taste or smell.

I use it in tea and that works well. The kids will eat it if I make coconut "candy" which basically is heating the coconut oil and adding a few drops of flavored stevia (I've used vanilla, chocolate, and grape) to the coconut oil. Then I put the oil in the little trays I have (shaped like hearts and stars but essentially small ice cube trays) and putting it in the fridge. Wait for it to harden.... then pop one out and eat it. We all like it that way! Oh don't heat it to much... just a enough to make it liquid and swish around the flavored stevia.
#17 of 20 Old 10-31-2007, 02:26 AM

Mine is on my counter and quite solid, I am guessing microwaving it is not an TF option.

Holistic Moms Network Monterey Chapter, co-leader!
Mama to oneboy 6/20/07 and due Mid-August
#18 of 20 Old 10-31-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
Mine is on my counter and quite solid, I am guessing microwaving it is not an TF option.
I wouldn't microwave it. I would just put a clump of it on a pan and gently heat it until it melts.
#19 of 20 Old 10-31-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymamaof3 View Post
I wouldn't microwave it. I would just put a clump of it on a pan and gently heat it until it melts.
I put a bit of coconut oil in a small bowl and put it on the Mr. Coffee : burner for a minute or two.
#20 of 20 Old 10-31-2007, 04:33 PM

i like to stir it into my oatmeal

**-wendy, mama to elu!(8/1/07): **

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page