Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exciting!!
#62 of 115 Old 11-15-2007, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
BUMP!

This thread is awesome! When I am not NAK I've got some more to say.
#63 of 115 Old 11-15-2007, 01:26 PM

So nursing moms shouldn't take it because it increases excretion of heavy metals which end up in the milk?
#64 of 115 Old 11-15-2007, 01:33 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#65 of 115 Old 11-15-2007, 05:20 PM

I am so glad to have found this thread! DP and I were just saying the other day, while looking at our container of non-iodized sea salt... "What's the deal with iodine? How important is it?"...

Anyway, after reading this I think I am definitely Iodine deficient. Been losing my hair NON STOP since after my first son was born. Developed carpal tunnel during my first pregnancy that never really went away. Pains in my breasts that I attributed towards some kind of strange breastfeeding aftershock for the entire two years after I stopped breastfeeding my son. Mood swings, depression, fatigue, head aches. Started getting numbness and tingling in my right leg five months into the pregnancy of my latest little one, while being on a near-vegan diet and eating goitrogens(spelling?/ flax seed, lots of it!) like crazy ... And it's gotten worse since giving birth. I thought all of this stuff was "normal" and due to pregnancy and childbirth... That's what I was telling myself to allay the worry, anyway. Question... Does all of this stuff mean I have hypothyroidism? I've not had trouble losing weight, or weight gain.

So, I really want to get crackin' on fixing this issue... The numbness and tingling in my leg bothers me so much! But I am breastfeeding my daughter. If I am severely deficient, doesn't it make sense that she would be deficient too, due to my milk being deficient? Doesn't she need iodine for development? Would a low dose supplement be too much while breastfeeding, or should I just be diligent about getting it from dietary sources(Screw this vegan crap, DP is gonna have to deal!)? Are sea veggies a bad idea while breastfeeding?

What can I do... Do I have to wait until I stop breastfeeding?
#66 of 115 Old 11-15-2007, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
So nursing moms shouldn't take it because it increases excretion of heavy metals which end up in the milk?
Iodine4Health has a page on pregnancy/nursing on their website that you may want to check out.

From what I can gather (and what was discussed at the Iodine conference last week the general consensus was:

1) If you didn't supplement prior to pregnancy you shouldn't start during - you don't want to start pushing out bromide which crosses the placenta.
2) Ditto if you're nursing and weren't supplementing before that. I can also make bm taste different to babe.
3) You can give an infant iodine. (I'll try to see if I can find info on dosing, but a good alternative type care provider may be able to help you here)
4) If you had bromide issues prior to pregnancy and are taking iodine you shouldn't continue after pregnancy occurs - again bromide issues here.
5) From my understanding, the consensus was that otherwise mom can take 12.5mgs of iodine and it would be safe for both her and baby.

I guess...all that to say, you should be getting *at least* the FDA's RDA of iodine, but it's the larger doses of iodine that may perhaps be problematic.

The Iodine yahoo group has a good links section of their group and they have a pretty large section of links related to this. I don't have time right now to read up, but I'll try to read through them when I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongBeliever View Post
Question... Does all of this stuff mean I have hypothyroidism? I've not had trouble losing weight, or weight gain.

So, I really want to get crackin' on fixing this issue... The numbness and tingling in my leg bothers me so much! But I am breastfeeding my daughter. If I am severely deficient, doesn't it make sense that she would be deficient too, due to my milk being deficient? Doesn't she need iodine for development? Would a low dose supplement be too much while breastfeeding, or should I just be diligent about getting it from dietary sources(Screw this vegan crap, DP is gonna have to deal!)? Are sea veggies a bad idea while breastfeeding?

What can I do... Do I have to wait until I stop breastfeeding?
Iodine4Health has a good page on Iodine and Thyroid Disease that you may find informative. I would *highly* suggest that you join the Iodine Yahoo group. They are very well versed on thyroid issues and would probably be better able (or at least be able to answer your questions quicker than I can) to answer more specific questions regarding thyroid issues than I would.

As to Iodine and breastfeeding - see above. :0) I don't think sea veggies would be a bad idea while breastfeeding. Again, I probably wouldn't eat massive quantities of them, but I do think they would be a great addition to your diet.
#67 of 115 Old 11-15-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Started getting numbness and tingling in my right leg five months into the pregnancy of my latest little one, while being on a near-vegan diet and eating goitrogens(spelling?/ flax seed, lots of it!) like crazy ... And it's gotten worse since giving birth. I thought all of this stuff was "normal" and due to pregnancy and childbirth... That's what I was telling myself to allay the worry, anyway. Question... Does all of this stuff mean I have hypothyroidism? I've not had trouble losing weight, or weight gain.
i have a spot on my leg that's numb/tingles, thought it was from the baby pressing a nerve, but while it has gotten better since birth it's still there. what makes you think this is related to hypothyroidism? it drives me nuts and i want to know how to get rid of it!

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
#68 of 115 Old 11-16-2007, 03:13 PM

Vaquitita... I could have written what you just wrote! For me it started out as a "spot" of numbness and tingling, and I totally thought it must be baby pinching a nerve. It drove me nuts. Now the numbness and tingling, mostly just numbness now(which scares me) is taking over a larger area of the front of my thigh... It drives me absolutely bonkers! In searching "symptoms of iron deficiency" I have stumbled across tons of articles that lead into symptoms of hypothyroidism... Iodine deficiency and hypothyroidism go hand in hand, it seems. Anyway, most all of these articles... I'd be specific, but I don't really have to, a simple search will do it for you(yikes!)... State "numbness and tingling in the extremities" as one of the symptoms of both a deficiency and hypothyroidism. My leg is an extremity, right? I think it's gotten worse for me since giving birth because of trying to breastfeed on such a whack diet. :

Okay... So, can we compile a list of goitrogenic foods here? As well as a list of sources of halides? I just found out today that there is tons of fluoride in my much loved black and green teas. :

Hypothesizing for a moment... I think this is relevant-ish to the topic... They say Asians(Japanese, Chinese, ect...) have such a lower incidence of cancer than the rest of the world. They are quick to point to soy consumption, or green tea consumption as the reasons why. Could it be more due to their consumption of such large amounts of Iodine in sea veggies? Balancing out their consumption of goitrogens(soy) and halides(fluoride in tea)? Could this be why they can consume such large amounts of iodine without ill effects such a hyperthyroidism? Hmmmm... Could that mean that if someone were to eat gross amounts of Iodine, that it's safe to assume that halides and goitrogens might be helpful? Feel free to poke holes all through this theory... I am absolutely NOT an expert and I'm just coming to conclusions based on snippets I've read.
#69 of 115 Old 11-16-2007, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As well as a list of sources of halides?
Ummm...I'm afraid there likely wouldn't be enough room to post specific sources, but I can give you a general idea of where they can be found.

Bromine - flame retardants, plastics, as an anti-bacterial agent in pools and spas, as a fumigant for agriculture, as a fumigant for termites and other pests, most bakery products (it's used as a dough conditioner), in some beverages (Mt. Dew, AMP Energy Drink, some Gatorade) in the form of brominated vegetable oil, some medications (Atrovent inhaler,
Atrovent Nasal spray, Ipratopium Nasal spray, Pro-Pantine
and Pyridostigmine bromide to name a few)

Chlorine - plastics, anti-bacterial agent in pools and spas, municipal water supplies

Fluoride - toothpaste, municipal water, black/green/white teas

You can also refer to a link I gave a few posts back

Quote:
Hmmmm... Could that mean that if someone were to eat gross amounts of Iodine, that it's safe to assume that halides and goitrogens might be helpful? Feel free to poke holes all through this theory... I am absolutely NOT an expert and I'm just coming to conclusions based on snippets I've read.
I don't know that I would agree that halides/goitrogens are helpful. Especially since we are bombarded by them in more than just dietary sources and the fact that in iodine deficient individuals halides are taken up by the iodine receptors in the body.

I do know that where iodine intake has been traditionally highest (and with traditional diets) like in Japan and Iceland they have the lowest levels of goiter and breast cancer. I do think that the Japanese intake of iodine (13.8mg a day - Dr. Guy Abraham talks about this) may very well play a much larger role than all the hype regarding soy.

Dr. Flechas talks about this in an audio recording on the Iodine4Health website.
#70 of 115 Old 11-16-2007, 06:35 PM

So after spending YEARS of my life in the pool, swimming in bromine and chlorine
I'm chock full of the wrong halogens. And now that I'm nursing dd, and fully anticipate nursing/being pg for many years to come, I'm kinda stuck this way for a while?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#71 of 115 Old 11-25-2007, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
So after spending YEARS of my life in the pool, swimming in bromine and chlorine
I'm chock full of the wrong halogens. And now that I'm nursing dd, and fully anticipate nursing/being pg for many years to come, I'm kinda stuck this way for a while?
Well....that depends on how comfortable you are. I would at least suggest making sure you get the bare minimum (the US RDA) and avoid any high(er) doses. I've basically decided this is the route that I'll take. I'm a little disappointed b/c I know I could really use more, but I'm not comfortable taking the chance.
#72 of 115 Old 11-25-2007, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Radio Liberty has a new interview up from Dr. Flechas. There's quite a bit of new info in it as well as some good summaries of issues he has talked about before. If you haven't read this thread yet this audio file would be a good place to start. He discusses the link between taking thyroid hormones and breast cancer in women, talks about bromide at length, atrial fibrillation, diabetes, hormone receptors, neurotransmitters (i.e. why does the brain have such a developed mechanism for importing iodine even in adults?).

It's a long interview - an hour and a half(?), but you may find it easier to save the file to your computer and listen to it a little bit at a time.
#73 of 115 Old 12-03-2007, 05:14 PM

Bumping as I have an iodine related thought/question

I am taking the kids swimming today. Chlorine in the swimming pool is something I can't really avoid. So should I be giving them extra iodine before they go & also afterwards?
#74 of 115 Old 12-03-2007, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

It's probably not a bad idea...
#75 of 115 Old 12-12-2007, 03:21 PM

o.k...:, Iam confused here.. I have a few questions...

pregnant and nursing moms need to get enough iodine so they can pass it on to their little ones, yet it is not recomended to supplement with iodine during pregnancy and nursing since iodine also detoxes metals.

Most prenatal multi's have iodine in them anyway...sooo what's a mama to do??? Isn't it better to supplement a very low dose than none at all?

I am assuming that the dose in most prenatals is not high enough to cause any detox/toxic/problems, so wouldn't it be better to get a low dose from a better source like lugol's or kelp?

Are there sources for buying lugol's that are better than others?

Have any of you done the home kit iodine test?

I know it's abunch of questions ...but you know curious mama brain here

tia
KatelynRose likes this.
#76 of 115 Old 12-12-2007, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=mombh;9991363pregnant and nursing moms need to get enough iodine so they can pass it on to their little ones, yet it is not recomended to supplement with iodine during pregnancy and nursing since iodine also detoxes metals.[/QUOTE]

The issue is not with supplementing per se, but the quantity you take. The issue is with supplementing at larger doses around the 12.5mg and higher level. Supplementing at the US RDA is probably not much of an issue. If you're nursing you can always supplement babe instead of mom and bypass the bromine/detox issues.

I would think that at the very least a pregnant/nursing mom who has never supplemented with higher doses of iodine before would benefit from the iodine in a prenatal vitamin. I also wouldn't see a problem with getting lower doses from sea veggies (you have to eat VERY large quantities of sea veggies to get higher doses of iodine). One of my favorite lacto-ferments that I get from a semi-local source is called "Ocean Kraut" and has sea veggies in with the sauerkraut. I know I'm not getting huge amounts of iodine w/eating it, but I think it's at the very least mildly beneficial. Getting a smaller amount of iodine from Lugols while a great idea is a bit more difficult since 1 drop is around 6mgs.

As to sources of Lugols - I don't know as necessarily any one source is better than another. I do know that some sources are quite a bit cheaper, though. I am aware of one source in particular that is the cheapest I have ever seen, but I'd rather not post the info on a public type forum here. If you want to know that you'll have to pm me.

And...as to the home test kits...I've never done those. On my list of things to do when not pregnant or nursing is to try the iodine loading test from one of the sources I linked a few pages back. Maybe some other moms will be able to better comment on the home test kits if they have personal experience.

Clear as mud? Let me know if I need to clarify better.
KatelynRose likes this.
#77 of 115 Old 12-12-2007, 05:27 PM

I have done the home test kit...what do you want to know?

I have also supplemented with high doses of iodine while nursing. We waited to test me until I gave birth and tested shortly thereafter. I have been supplementing since. I have taken measures to protect the baby and am tested rather consistently to see what I am excreting.
#78 of 115 Old 12-12-2007, 07:54 PM

I got a spot urine test last month and my iodide levels there came back undetectable, ie. < .02, so my body isn't giving any extra up apparently. My Dr. gave me Iodoral tablets to take, 1 12.5 mg a day. I'm still nursing and a bit nervous though because of the heavy metal detox although I am anxious to start.

Firefaery, what measures do you take while nursing? I bet DS could use the iodine too, and DD for that matter. I'm think ing of giving my 5 year old 1/4 tablet a day ~ 3 mg since she was nursed by me almost 3 years and hasn't had many sea veggies, etc.

thanks, Kelly
#79 of 115 Old 12-12-2007, 08:57 PM

I did dietary modification and supplementation to open detoxification pathways. Glutathione and methionine are the biggies along with selenium, magnesium and vitamin C.

I started out with 4 tablets of Iodoral for a year and am down to 2 after a year and a half.

My 5 and 3.5 year olds both get Iodoral directly. They get 1 tablet a day each.
#80 of 115 Old 12-13-2007, 12:18 AM

thanks for the good info... definately clear now more like clear as rain

you mentioned giving your kids iodoral , how do you give it to them?
does it have a taste?
#81 of 115 Old 12-13-2007, 12:37 AM

I throw it in the vitamix with their smoothies. They have no idea. IT does have a taste, but it isn't detectable in the smoothie.
#82 of 115 Old 12-13-2007, 02:37 AM

subscribing. This is fascinating. My DH has just been diagnosed with HYPERthyroidism (which is relatively rare in young men). We are wondering if it could have anything to do with a radioactive drink he took during a recent MRI due to horrible headaches he was waking up with. I was also wondering if it connects to the iodine-free sea salt we eat. Anyone have any advice for my DH?

I got inspired on the sea veggies, as a moderate alternative for us prego/nursing mamas. I just ordered a bunch of things: dulse, kelp, nori, salt, and some snack bars. Check out this simple healthy alternative for regular salt:
http://seaveg.com/shop/index.php?mai...products_id=64

BTW, this site seaveg.com says they test everything for pollutants. The earlier site didn't mention anything about it.
#83 of 115 Old 12-13-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonymama View Post
subscribing. This is fascinating. My DH has just been diagnosed with HYPERthyroidism (which is relatively rare in young men). We are wondering if it could have anything to do with a radioactive drink he took during a recent MRI due to horrible headaches he was waking up with. I was also wondering if it connects to the iodine-free sea salt we eat. Anyone have any advice for my DH?

The radioactive iodine drink could definitely be connected to his development of hyperthyroidism. Excess iodine can cause overactive thyroid levels as well as triggering autoimmune disease. Is he just hyperthyroid or does he have Graves disease (has he had antibodies testing)?

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here...I do agree that iodine is very important to our health. But keep in mind that it is a double-edged sword. Not enough is a problem, and too much is a problem. It can be hard to know which is which because it will vary from person to person. Anyone with a family history of autoimmune disease or thyroid disorder should be careful about iodine, as they may be more sensitive to its effects.

My own experience is that for two years I was taking a high-quality liquid multi-vitamin/multi-mineral supplement which contained kelp and four other kinds of sea vegetables...all supposed to be very good for me, right? Well, unknown to me at that time, I have the antibodies for Graves disease and taking all that excess iodine stimulated the antidbodies and triggered the disease. It also caused my thyroid to enlarge on one side and develop a 2x3cm nodule (biopsied and shown to be benign, thankfully).

Luckily my doctor caught it fairly early, and so far, by following an IODINE-FREE diet and taking certain supplements, I am seeing the nodule shrink instead of grow (according to my 6-mo. followup ultrasound). I will have to have regular ultrasounds to track it from now on and make sure it doesn't grow.

There are many documented cases of people developing goiters from ingesting excess iodine. So please, folks, be careful if you are supplementing without doctor supervision. Especially if you have any family history of autoimmune disease. If you are taking iodine and ever feel like your throat is getting thick or tight, have your doctor check it out thoroughly.

Iris
#84 of 115 Old 12-13-2007, 03:04 PM

Thank you for saying that. IF I had not made it clear before I am on a protocol that was designed by my physician and am routinely tested to check my levels. Too much of anything is dangerous and this is no exception.

While the vast majority of people are likely deficient it is not a good idea to supplement with doses as high as mine without the benefit of being able to measure your progress and adjust accordingly.
#85 of 115 Old 12-13-2007, 04:06 PM

Thanks, Wild Iris. We will be very careful. Probably keep DH away from seaweed until we consult a practitioner. We don't yet know the cause of his hyperthyroidism. It could be Grave's or a nodule, or tumor, or some other cause. His TSH levels are VERY high, but he does not appear to have an enlarged thyroid by touch. He does have a rapid, strong heartrate, frequent elimination, feels hot, is irritable, etc. We have also eliminated salicylates in our diet at home, could that be related? He just started snacking on Dulse right before all these hyperthyroidism issues came up. Could that have also triggered it? and he has been somewhat stressed as we are going through a major life transition-- an international move. I am really wondering what the underlying cause is. He is going to see an endocrinologist and get a bunch more tests. But I think one of the tests, they want to give him some more radioactive iodine to see if his thyroid is resisting absorbing it. I am very concerned as I am seeing some very worrisome things about testing and treatment the allopathic route. I've been looking at Prescription for Nutritional Healing about how to treat it through diet, cut out dairy, etc., but... I'm worried.

WildIris, did your doc recommend medication, surgery or anything? How did you both settle on diet alone? What kind of doc are you seeing? Please PM me if you thing you have any information that might be helpful about Grave's or testing or treatment for hyperthyroidism. I'm feeling overwhelmed at the prospect of a bunch of research about yet another thing.

Firefaery, do you think this might be responsive to homeopathy?
#86 of 115 Old 12-13-2007, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

WildIris - I would agree that there is certainly a concern for those with auto-immune type disorders, but even that is somewhat debated (anyone interested in reading more on this debate really should go back through this thread - there are several good sources to read). Those with family histories of these types of disorders really should get on the Yahoo Iodine list and do some reading there. Actually...anyone considering supplementing should subscribe to that list as well. LOTS of information.

I'm not disputing your personal experience just wanted to reiterate again that there is an alternate point of view. I make no claims to endorsing which route one should take, my only purpose is to put information out there that I have found of great interest myself.
#87 of 115 Old 12-13-2007, 04:35 PM

It would. My homeopath is also an MD and has been using homeopathy in conjunction with iodine supplementation to correct hypothyroidism. He also has patients that have hyperthyroidism that he treats with homoepathy.

Homeopathy cannot change a lack of dietary nutrients, but it can change how the body utilizes nutrients. It will also allow the body to regulate and restore hormone function.

Since homeopathy is about restoring balance there isn't anything that it isn't indicated for.
#88 of 115 Old 12-15-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonymama View Post
Thanks, Wild Iris. We will be very careful. Probably keep DH away from seaweed until we consult a practitioner. We don't yet know the cause of his hyperthyroidism. It could be Grave's or a nodule, or tumor, or some other cause. His TSH levels are VERY high, but he does not appear to have an enlarged thyroid by touch. He does have a rapid, strong heartrate, frequent elimination, feels hot, is irritable, etc.
Harmonymama,

YES, for now, your DH should avoid seaweed, dulse, seafood, vitamins with iodine in them, etc., ANY and all sources of extra iodine until you know more about what is going on. For one thing, if he does the radioactive iodine uptake scan you mentioned, he will need avoid excess iodine for several weeks before--I was told 6 weeks--because it can skew the test results.

His symptoms are definitely hyperT symptoms--and I do sympathize with him (and you). But I'm confused when you say his TSH levels are very high. Usually with hyperT, the TSH level will be very low, sometimes undetectable, and the T3/T4 (or FreeT3/Freet4) levels are very high. Do you know what tests he's had so far? Do you have copies of all his lab tests ? Feel free to PM me with them if you want--include results and reference ranges.

Did his doctor give him anything for the fast heartrate? Like beta blockers? I haven't had to go that route, but I found magnesium helpful when my heart would start racing. Also, eating lots of goitrogenic foods like raw broccoli, radishes, etc. can help calm things down. Do a search for goitrogens to find a list. The herbal treatments lemon balm and bugleweed are said to be helpful and calming; I use lemon balm tea sometimes.

Has he had any strange skin problems, like itchy rashes, hives, chemical sensitivities, allergies? Any rashes on his legs in particular?

Any eye problems at all? Visual changes, puffy eyelids, dry/irritable eyes. sensitive to light, etc.?

Quote:
We have also eliminated salicylates in our diet at home, could that be related? He just started snacking on Dulse right before all these hyperthyroidism issues came up. Could that have also triggered it? and he has been somewhat stressed as we are going through a major life transition-- an international move. I am really wondering what the underlying cause is.
On your salicylates question, I don't know. I've never read anything about this connected to thyroid function.

About the Dulse, yes, it definitely could have triggered it. Heavy stress is also a known trigger for autoimmune disease. You will probably never know the underlying cause, but these are both considered environmental triggers. Here are two articles you might find helpful:

Graves' Disease A Practical Guide: An Interview With Author Elaine Moore
http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/gravesbook.htm

Unraveling the Causes of Graves' Disease
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/..._disease/62892

I realize that you don't know right now if he does have Graves disease or if he's hyperT from some other cause, but I think you find the articles helpful anyway. And if he does turn out to have Graves disease, Elaine Moore's information on Suite101 dot com will be an invaluable resource for you.

Quote:
He is going to see an endocrinologist and get a bunch more tests. But I think one of the tests, they want to give him some more radioactive iodine to see if his thyroid is resisting absorbing it. I am very concerned as I am seeing some very worrisome things about testing and treatment the allopathic route. I've been looking at Prescription for Nutritional Healing about how to treat it through diet, cut out dairy, etc., but... I'm worried.
They probably want him to have a radioactive iodine uptake scan. You should be concerned and careful about this. I had one done, because I didn't know any better. Some people are not bothered by them, but I was physically sick (felt like I had the flu; fever, sore throat, etc.) for about two weeks afterward. I also had all kinds of wierd skin rash/hives/sensitivities, etc., for over a month afterwards. At that time I did not know that I had the antibodies for Graves disease, and that iodine stimulates those antibodies and they go on the attack.

While his doctor/endo might (probably will) push for this test and tell you it is "harmless," please do your own research on its pros and cons. It might not be necessary in his situation. You might want to push for an ultrasound and antibodies testing first, and then decide if the uptake scan is necessary. Generally they use the radioactive iodine uptake scan to see how the thyroid absorbs iodine, and whether any "hot" or "cold" nodules are present. ("Hot" nodules secrete thyroid hormone; "cold" nodules do not.)

Bear in mind, and this is very important, that they also use the uptake scan to find out what dose of RAI would be needed to ablate (kill off) the thyroid gland... many endos/docs will push patients into RAI to "solve" the problem, because it is quick and easy for them (and profitable!), and it is easier for them to deal with a permanently "hypo" patient than a hyper patient. People are often rushed into this treatment when they could have tried something else, like anti-thyroid meds and/or holistic treatments. Also, in the case of autoimmune thyroid disease, it is not the thyroid itself that is causing the problem--the thyroid gland is a "victim" of an immune system gone wrong and turning on itself. If you ablate the thyroid gland or remove it surgically, that can ease the symptoms, and sometimes this is necessary, but even if you remove the gland, the antibodies that caused the problem are still present and active. What you really want to do manage symptoms and also calm down those antibodies and keep them quiet so they stop causing symptoms.

Quote:
WildIris, did your doc recommend medication, surgery or anything? How did you both settle on diet alone? What kind of doc are you seeing? Please PM me if you thing you have any information that might be helpful about Grave's or testing or treatment for hyperthyroidism. I'm feeling overwhelmed at the prospect of a bunch of research about yet another thing.
I will answer the rest of your questions about my situation by PM, since this post is already terribly long.

But a good resource for you, and anyone with thyroid disase questions, is a forum called the Thyroid Disease Chat Center. Most people there tend to lean more toward the allopathic than the naturopathic approach, but it is a good solid source of information and very caring people. Here's a link: http://thyroidhost.proboards30.com/i...activefunction

If anyone does come to that thyroid board, PLEASE be sure to come to the Nutrition folder and back me up on some TF stuff, okay?! Recently I posted there about Traditional Foods, trying to get a discussion started, and it was like in the movies when someone says something and is met by total silence except for the crickets chirping in the fields.... and suffice it to say, my TF views on fats and oils have met with some frosty responses as well. : But I keep trying....

Good luck, Harmonymama, and feel free to ask me anything. I know this is scary and I will help you in any way I can. I will PM you also.

Hugs,
Iris
#89 of 115 Old 12-15-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post
WildIris - I would agree that there is certainly a concern for those with auto-immune type disorders, but even that is somewhat debated (anyone interested in reading more on this debate really should go back through this thread - there are several good sources to read). Those with family histories of these types of disorders really should get on the Yahoo Iodine list and do some reading there. Actually...anyone considering supplementing should subscribe to that list as well. LOTS of information.

I'm not disputing your personal experience just wanted to reiterate again that there is an alternate point of view. I make no claims to endorsing which route one should take, my only purpose is to put information out there that I have found of great interest myself.

Hi PamperedMom,

Actually I am subscribed to the Yahoo Iodine group and have read much of the new iodine research. Like you, I find it of great interest and agree that iodine intake is very important to health.

I am still waiting, however, to be convinced that iodine supplementation is something a person with Graves disease should ever try. I have seen very little information in the new research of how iodine supplementation affects the TSH Receptor antibodies, especially the stimulating antibodies (Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulins). These are the antibodies most relevant to Graves disease.

When the people on the iodine groups and even the key iodine researchers talk about "thyroid antibodies," it seems they are generally talking about TPO and Tg antibodies, which are involved in inflammation and can be present in both Hashimoto's and Graves disease. It seems very few people even know about the role of the TSH Receptor Antibodies. I certainly knew nothing about them 12 months ago. And most people promoting iodine supplementation don't know anything about them--yet some of them throw out a lot of talk about how "iodine helps antibodies" without really specifying *which* antibodies they mean.

What worries me is that many people are starting iodine supplementation without being tested for ALL the antibodies... even Brownstein, I believe, will only test for the TSI antibodies if a person has hyperthyroid symptoms. But this is erroneous, in my view, because just as people with Hashi's can go through hyper phases, people with Graves can go through hypo phases. So it is important for anyone with signs and symptoms of thyroid disease to be tested for all of the antibodies. There can be a lot of crossover symptoms between hypo and hyper, Hashi's and Graves.

Combine all of this with the fact that when I ingest iodine-containing foods, my eye symptoms flare up and my thyroid swells up and my throat starts to feel tight, like I can't breathe right or swallow, and, well, you can imagine why I might want to see more convincing and specific research about iodine use in Graves disease before I would even consider supplementing.

I am just saying people should be careful and be aware that iodine supplementation is not going to be right for everyone.

Iris
#90 of 115 Old 12-15-2007, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildIris View Post
Combine all of this with the fact that when I ingest iodine-containing foods, my eye symptoms flare up and my thyroid swells up and my throat starts to feel tight, like I can't breathe right or swallow, and, well, you can imagine why I might want to see more convincing and specific research about iodine use in Graves disease before I would even consider supplementing.
Proof positive that the most important thing to consider when doing *anything* is to trust your gut and listen to your body. I can sympathize with your experience as my mom has been told she has Hashi's, but doesn't need to take any meds and for the most part her allopathic doc doesn't see any need to "do" anything. She's still trying to verify that they did the necessary testing instead of just dx'ing by a process of elimination. She's held off on any supp until she knows for sure.

As for the rest of us...we're smack dab in the middle of the goiter belt so it really is a much bigger concern. While I agree with the iodine folks that the majority of people are likely deficient, I think it's especially likely for us.

Like I said at the beginning - it's not for everyone, not everyone would agree and as always one should feel free to "take it with a grain of salt".

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page