TF Pregnancy Club - Welcome to November! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 115 Old 11-08-2007, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to pipe in that it's still cheaper to buy the Blue Ice CLO direct from Green Pasture's. But you do have to order 12 bottles of any of their products (your order can be mix & matched) to get the super cheap price. I usually place an order together with several friends, and we all benefit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 115 Old 11-08-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post

Does anyone know if Whole Foods has a delcious and natural breakfast sausage? They are about an hour from me and I am willing to take the drive and stock up if they do. I am needing more than my smoothie in the morning.

Jen
My Whole Foods has a wonderful array of sausages! Breakfast kind, and the harder kielbasa/whatever kind, as well as hotdogs, lunchmeats, bacon... (mmmm, bacon!) I love that stuff. It is NOT cheap. But this last time I found a package of no-nitrate bacon ENDS for $2 a pound. I guess some folks want neat and pretty bacon. I don't care. I just want the fat to cook with and the bits to munch on. As a matter of fact, now that I can't broil it, I think I'm going to prefer the "ends and pieces" since they'll fit in the pan better.
I think it'll be worth your trip, but make sure you've got plenty of freezer space, and of course, MONEY.

SAHM of Kayla (11/98) Hunter (8/03) Jo (1/04) : Jared (2/05) Camelia (12/07) Hope/Chance (11/08) and Jack (12/09)
#63 of 115 Old 11-09-2007, 12:50 AM

ok, you all have inspired me to find some liver this weekend. i have never eaten liver and i'm a little freaked out by it (years of conditioning from the other side) but i'm going to find some and make the NT pate this weekend. wish me luck!

also, can someone direct me to information about the blue ice brand of CLO? why is it so much better? remember, i'm a newbie to TF.

wagamama - interesting situation about going from nigeria to japan. are you originally from the usa? i'm in australia for a year and a half due to my husband's current job assignment and i'm finding that people do not eat really healthy, at least in the part of the country i'm in. i have found a couple all organic grocery stores which i really like. (i'm going to miss them when i go back to the usa since whole foods is monopolizing all things organic...smelling a little like wal-mart, you guys.) i have also found the local farmer's market and it's just ok. i can't get wild alaskan salmon here and i'm dying for some!!!! it's interesting to see how different food is around the world, isn't it? i'm so envious of your commonplace foods in japan!!!

to everyone who is dairy intolerant - i'm finding that more saturated fat makes me feel a little better as well, but i'm also feeling like i'm dying for some good old calcium. what are you all doing for calcium? are you taking any supplements? i'm eating bone broth (chicken broth mostly) almost every day. i still want a huge glass of ice cold raw milk, though. i dream of dairy, swimming in a pool of milk, drinking a milk based smoothie, eating a bucket of feta...kind of like willy wonka and the chocolate factory. i'm trying to listen to my body, but i don't want to be sick from the dairy. what's a girl to do???

and, i must say, I LOVE THIS GROUP!!!! i find you all to be so inspiring! thank you!!!!
#64 of 115 Old 11-09-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally'smom View Post
My enormous bummer is that, after being sick repeatedly for 3 weeks, I have a sinus infection and my left lung is infected. I'm on antibiotics, which makes me want to puke. I also can't breathe, and my DO, midwife, and I all decided I should do something, since I'm barely functioning. But I am BUMMED. I've worked so hard over the past several years to restore my gut health from my undiagnosed allergies and I feel like I have to go back to square one. While pregnant. Ugh.
Doesn't this make you so mad you wanna spit (as we say in the south)? I had to go on antibiotics a few weeks ago for an abscessed tooth. It was so awful. I also had a cold during this pregnancy. Usually I'm a healthy person, but this pregnancy is taking its toll on me. I get really upset, thinking that I'm supposed to be invincible on a TF diet, but I have to realize that I'm not a 100% all the time, and even if I were, I can still get sick. It's inevitable. I did assume that this diet would heal my gut and I wouldn't have the same problems with allergies I did with my SADiet. Not really, unfortunately. I must say that overall, I'm in better health with TF, but it hasn't given me the green light to eat anything and everything I want. I wonder if Dr. Price encountered people with food allergies?
#65 of 115 Old 11-09-2007, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukiaustin View Post
I did assume that this diet would heal my gut and I wouldn't have the same problems with allergies I did with my SADiet. Not really, unfortunately. I must say that overall, I'm in better health with TF, but it hasn't given me the green light to eat anything and everything I want. I wonder if Dr. Price encountered people with food allergies?
I don't remember how long you have been doing TF, but the food allergies/intolerances may just need more time to heal. I cut out my foods about 14 months ago and I don't expect to eat them regularly again for 1-2 more years. (while doing enzymes, ferments, probiotics, bone broths and all those things. I think I will have to put a lot of effort into healing.) My reactions are less severe and I have been doing TF for about 1.5 years.

I don't think primitive people would have food allergies because there would be no way for them to adapt. So if you had celiac disease in a place where gluten was in a staple food, you would not survive. I would also think primitive people had great guts because of superior nutrition, no abx, extended breastfeeding, less toxins, ect.

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#66 of 115 Old 11-09-2007, 01:44 AM

Quote:
to everyone who is dairy intolerant - i'm finding that more saturated fat makes me feel a little better as well, but i'm also feeling like i'm dying for some good old calcium. what are you all doing for calcium? are you taking any supplements? i'm eating bone broth (chicken broth mostly) almost every day. i still want a huge glass of ice cold raw milk, though. i dream of dairy, swimming in a pool of milk, drinking a milk based smoothie, eating a bucket of feta...kind of like willy wonka and the chocolate factory. i'm trying to listen to my body, but i don't want to be sick from the dairy. what's a girl to do???
OMG yes!!!! This is totally me and I am so miserable about it. When dd and I went off of dairy, it was like coming off heroin for me. I was miserable, out of my skin, sweating, panicky, it was awful. So I'm terrified of the stuff, really could go my whole life without eating dairy again. But I am craving it sososososososososososososo bad right now, I can hardly stand it. I keep thinking about a big sloppy Mexican combo plate from this great (and totally authentic) resturant nearby. It sort of kills me.

But to answer your question I'm trying to get calcium any way that I can. I make homemade soaked almond milk and drink it with blackstrap molasses. Sometimes I take molasses straight off the spoon. Bone broths, cooked leafy green vegetables, canned wild alaskan salmon. The diet stuff my midwife gave me counts black olives as a source of calcium, so I've been after them lately, as well. And I have also been supplementing with a variety of calcium supplements. I have one that's a blend of different calciums chewable with mint, and it's a great tummy soother. And powdered calcium citrate in smoothies, too.

Suzukiaustin, that is my experience exactly. My health is a TON better than it was, and this pregnancy really demonstrates that (I was sick the whole time with dd), but I'm still not healed. Frankly, I expect this to be a journey on which I'm prepared to take the rest of my life. I'm encouraged by the fact that 2 years after we started eliminating allergens and a year and half after I started TF that I've improved this much. This pregnancy has really brought home to me, however, what a long, long way I still have to go.
#67 of 115 Old 11-09-2007, 02:30 PM

Can I just say I LOVE my farmer. She sent out an email to the group this morning letting us know it's that time of year and the supply is a little less. I've been dreading winter, knowing this would happen. Anyhow we normally get three gallons, so I said we really "need" two since I should be getting a quart a day but I don't mind buying cheese and yogurt so do what you have to do. I mean it's a limited supply, I'll take what I can get. Anyhow, she emailed me back and told me that myself and the group organizer were number one on her list since I am pregnant and nursing and the group organizer works so hard for the group. She said in traditional cultures pregnant and nursing mothers get first pick so that's how she does it too. I know it's the hormones but I just want to run over and hug her.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share how great she is since I know you mamas will understand.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#68 of 115 Old 11-09-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Doesn't this make you so mad you wanna spit (as we say in the south)? I had to go on antibiotics a few weeks ago for an abscessed tooth. It was so awful. I also had a cold during this pregnancy. Usually I'm a healthy person, but this pregnancy is taking its toll on me. I get really upset, thinking that I'm supposed to be invincible on a TF diet, but I have to realize that I'm not a 100% all the time, and even if I were, I can still get sick. It's inevitable. I did assume that this diet would heal my gut and I wouldn't have the same problems with allergies I did with my SADiet. Not really, unfortunately. I must say that overall, I'm in better health with TF, but it hasn't given me the green light to eat anything and everything I want. I wonder if Dr. Price encountered people with food allergies?
I'm not prego yet, but have been following this thread in hopes to be soon. I just wanted to say that toxin load can play a much bigger role in our health than most people think. I saw some minor improvements (vision and skin) after eating TF with the superfood supps for a few months, but nothing amazing. A few months after beginning to remove heavy metals and serious detoxing, along with continuing TF, I saw some real healing begin. I used to get 3-4 colds a year even eating TF. After all my detoxing I've noticed that twice in the last month I've been exposed to an individual who has a bad cold. The following day I had a minor symptom like a scratchy throat, but it was gone within 24 hours and nothing more ever developed. I also haven't had a single cold in almost a year. Different toxins weaken the body in different ways. Heavy metals actually can block the receptor sites for minerals making the body incapable of utilizing them even if they are in abundance. Of course, I had a pretty heavy toxin load which is not the case for everyone. With that said, detoxing during pregnancy/bf is not suggested because it increases the amount of toxins that the fetus is exposed to.

Also, I just read a wonderful children's book that tells the story of a homebirth in a semi-remote area :

Welcome With Loveby Jenni Overend
#69 of 115 Old 11-09-2007, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I don't check in for a bit & I miss so much! A question for you dairy-allergic people: have any of you ever tried NAET? That's what got rid of my 15-year wheat allergy. I recommend it to everyone. Worth looking into, anyway...

re - my subject line, for lunch, I just fried up some pork belly (I got it from the Amish farmers who deliver our milk share - they said it was smoked bacon, but turned out to be plain pork belly slices, uncured - I'm gonna have to cure it! But I fried up some plain, & whoa, it's rich! It's almost solid fat, actually). Then I took it out & diced it up, &, in the drippings in the same pan, I fried up some soaked rice. I then threw in some diced green tomato from our CSA & some frozen peas (organic - not local, but I had a yen for peas) & tossed the bacon pieces back in. Added cumin, sea salt, brown rice vinegar, shoyu. Wow! It's good! But RICH, my goodness. I won't need lip balm for a while, because my mouth is covered with this fine sheen of lard. So - have any of you ever made bacon out of pork belly? Have any good recipes to share? Because I have a loooot left...

And then I ate some steamed brussels sprouts from the CSA, with butter & sea salt. WOWEE! I love brussels sprouts. This is the first day in many days that I've had any interest in vegetables; it's a nice change of pace! YAY VEGETABLES! Hopefully this will last. I think they're good for me.

Thomlynn - yay for your farmer!
#70 of 115 Old 11-09-2007, 06:42 PM

I seem to be battling something yucky here. A few days ago I started feeling really nauseated, and I don't think it was entirely pregnancy related. I'm 17 weeks and in the last 2 days I can barely eat. Everything smells digusting and I even had to pull the car over this morning to throw up on the side of the road : I feel like I have acid constantly in my throat right now and I have a runny nose too. I almost got sick on my little one a little while ago while trying to run to get to the bathroom (he jumped in front of me and wanted up). I have dinner in the crockpot (organic pastured pork roast, sweet potatoes and leftover homemade baked beans w/ tomato sauce, rapadura, cloves and onion) but I am gagging at the smell. I'm considering taking it to the garage and plugging it in out there. Normally I love the smell of something like that cooking on a cool day. I don't know what is wrong with me, I don't feel like just a cold, don't feel like just a stomach flu either. I think I'm going to just stick to fruit smoothies for the rest of the day and see if I can handle that. I'm feeling like a bad mama as my dd is watching a movie right now and only had snacks for lunch.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#71 of 115 Old 11-10-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I don't think primitive people would have food allergies because there would be no way for them to adapt. So if you had celiac disease in a place where gluten was in a staple food, you would not survive. I would also think primitive people had great guts because of superior nutrition, no abx, extended breastfeeding, less toxins, ect.
Jen
thanks for the reminder. also, no genetically modified foods, less processed foods, more raw foods, more bacteria in the soil, regular exercise, no amalgam fillings...the list goes on and on. i have to remember this and also that healing takes some time. i'm doing so much better than i was a few years ago. i am truly thankful for that!
#72 of 115 Old 11-10-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca View Post
Different toxins weaken the body in different ways. Heavy metals actually can block the receptor sites for minerals making the body incapable of utilizing them even if they are in abundance.
Moneca - EUREKA! i think you explained a big piece of the puzzle for me. this pregnancy was a complete surprise. i was still nursing my 17 month old in hopes of weaning in the next year so i could have my shoddy filings and root canal removed and go through a major cleanse, all in hopes of helping the healing process. low and behold, the traditional foods made me and my husband super fertile, he breathed wrong on me and BAM i was pregnant. in fact, i was researching adoption the week before i found out i was preggo because i did not think that my body was fit for carrying another child. from being formula fed, to being on antibiotics for recurrent ear infections as a child, from living on donuts and mcdonald's and birth control pills all of my 20's, i'm a toxic mess. a year of traditional foods isn't going to clear up all of my problems! i try not to dwell on the mess that my body is, finding comfort in the fact that my son somehow survived in utero and is a pretty intelligent and healthy child...this baby will have to be ok as well (please!). but i am already planning on cleaning house (myself) once this baby has weaned!! thanks for bringing this back to the light for me.

steph117 -wanted to tell you that you look fabulous preggo! i have a rather large diastasis from my first pregnancy that has left my belly looking like a torpedo! i'm too embarrassed to post a photo!

whomever has the kick-ass farmer, i'm so amazed by their dedication to pregnant and nursing women! what a gem!!
#73 of 115 Old 11-10-2007, 04:10 PM

for you dairy intolerant mamas to be who are craving dairy... have you tried goat or sheep dairy? Sometimes we crave a food for a very good reason, even though we are intolerant. I need egg yolks for the lutein and xanthein (sp?) because I have a retinal disease, but I'm allergic to chicken eggs. I can tolerate raw duck egg yolks. Also, I used to crave sweets and have a major refined sugar addiction. I think I craved them because I need the b vitamins and minerals that are in healthy natural sugars. Giving up sugar never worked for me. I'd just end up binging. Switching to raw honey and dried fruits and molasses in small quanities satisfied my bodies need for sweets, and completely eliminated my desire for junk food.
#74 of 115 Old 11-10-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
also, can someone direct me to information about the blue ice brand of CLO? why is it so much better? remember, i'm a newbie to TF.
For me it's just the cost factor. I'd really like to get in the WAPF recommended dose for pregnant and nursing women - especially now since it's nearing winter and I live in the midwest. Blue Ice is a high vitamin cod liver oil so it has more vitamins in it than a regular old CLO like Garden of Life. In order to get the right dosage you'd have to take quite a bit more of the regular stuff and in that case suddenly the other stuff doesn't look so cheap.

Unfortunately, it's just my family who is going to be taking the CLO so buying a case is not going to work for us.
#75 of 115 Old 11-10-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbchavez View Post
for you dairy intolerant mamas to be who are craving dairy... have you tried goat or sheep dairy? Sometimes we crave a food for a very good reason, even though we are intolerant. I need egg yolks for the lutein and xanthein (sp?) because I have a retinal disease, but I'm allergic to chicken eggs. I can tolerate raw duck egg yolks. Also, I used to crave sweets and have a major refined sugar addiction. I think I craved them because I need the b vitamins and minerals that are in healthy natural sugars. Giving up sugar never worked for me. I'd just end up binging. Switching to raw honey and dried fruits and molasses in small quanities satisfied my bodies need for sweets, and completely eliminated my desire for junk food.
Thanks for the tips. My neighbor actually gives away her duck eggs so I may try that sometime if I get a craving. I did try sheep cheese a few weeks ago and I felt a little anxoius later. I wish I had access to sheep yogurt here. I am trying to get in more bone broths (I have a massive stockpot going right now) because it may be my body needing more calcuim/magnesuim.

Interesting about the sugar. I also allow myself medjool dates, raw honey, and maple syrup and have the same results. I really don't feel the need to cut them out either.

I think I must have really needed B vitmains lately because I was craving wild rice and liver. When I started eating them I felt better--almost more relaxed. I was afraid if I started eating grains I would gain too much but that does not seem to be happening at all

Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#76 of 115 Old 11-10-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I think I must have really needed B vitmains lately because I was craving wild rice and liver. When I started eating them I felt better--almost more relaxed. I was afraid if I started eating grains I would gain too much but that does not seem to be happening at all Jen
Mmmmmm. I just realized I haven't made liver rice lately. I make it with hand parched wild rice and grate the liver in while it cooks. OK, I'll stop butting in on the pregnancy thread, now, since I'm not pregnant.... yet.
#77 of 115 Old 11-12-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbchavez View Post
for you dairy intolerant mamas to be who are craving dairy... have you tried goat or sheep dairy?
Yep, I've tried it, but unfortunately I have similar reactions (immediate nasal congestion, reflux, intestinal issues, rashes). I think my body is craving calcium really badly right now. I'm having really bad leg cramps and eye twitches which I think are either from a calcium and/or magnesium deficiency. I take those in supplement form, because I can't ever seem to get enough in my diet : I ran out recently and just started back up yesterday which is what I think the trigger was for the dairy cravings! I try to eat calcium and magnesium rich foods on a daily basis in addition to the supplements. It the only actual thing that I take in a supplement form and it really does make a huge difference.

I'm seeming to be over my viral illness rather quickly, although the kids are not feeling well today. We've had stormy weather here today its been pretty "blah" over here. I'm trying to see if I can adapt a regular GF pizza crust recipe into a soaked flour version. The regular version is really good with regular meat and veggie toppings and a sprinkle of "sesame parmesan" (ground whole sesame seeds, nutritional yeast and sea salt). I've always craved pizza and this really hits the spot without the gluten or dairy. If I can adapt the recipe to be soaked, I'd be even happier

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#78 of 115 Old 11-13-2007, 12:39 AM

Hello ladies,

Anyone know the reason my eyesight would be going down the tubes? I had this happen with my first pregnancy (non TF diet), and my OB said I was probably just getting older. When DD was born, it immediately got much worse, and then gradually got better over her first few months of life.

So here I am again, with my eyesight getting funky. I take plenty of Vit A - I take high-vit CLO, high-vit butter oil, raw liver daily, eggs, and ghee.

I'd love some ideas on this one! Thanks!
#79 of 115 Old 11-13-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Hello ladies,

Anyone know the reason my eyesight would be going down the tubes? I had this happen with my first pregnancy (non TF diet), and my OB said I was probably just getting older. When DD was born, it immediately got much worse, and then gradually got better over her first few months of life.

So here I am again, with my eyesight getting funky. I take plenty of Vit A - I take high-vit CLO, high-vit butter oil, raw liver daily, eggs, and ghee.

The only other thing I can think of that effects eyesight off hand is taurine. But I don't know how/why there would be a connection or anything.
#80 of 115 Old 11-15-2007, 06:21 PM

We were on page three! I just thought I'd bump us up with my many thanks for the egg nog recipe posted here. Lately it is the ONLY thing that sounds good to me. I've found it to be a GREAT way to get some more calories in!
#81 of 115 Old 11-15-2007, 08:02 PM

I'd love the liver rice recipie, if anyone wants to share.
#82 of 115 Old 11-15-2007, 08:40 PM

ok, how do i make the liver more palatable??? i was so excited to get some this weekend and sauteed a tiny bit for myself and my son (just to try it - never had it before). we joyfully popped a piece in our mouths and immediately gagged!! is the pate' really that good at concealing the flavor? what about the liver and rice? i also put some in my chicken broth and now the whole batch tastes like liver!!!

please help me to love this stuff!!

hope everyone is feeling well!
#83 of 115 Old 11-15-2007, 10:06 PM

My mom just called and she bought an ok turkey. It's not the best of the best but it's not your run of the mill butterball. No horomones and free range. I am thrilled, I wanted something better so bad but I didn't want to ask her b/c I know they can be really pricey. Now if only I could get dh's family to spend the extra money.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#84 of 115 Old 11-16-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
ok, how do i make the liver more palatable??? i was so excited to get some this weekend and sauteed a tiny bit for myself and my son (just to try it - never had it before). we joyfully popped a piece in our mouths and immediately gagged!! is the pate' really that good at concealing the flavor? what about the liver and rice? i also put some in my chicken broth and now the whole batch tastes like liver!!!

please help me to love this stuff!!

hope everyone is feeling well!
Just to share that I too tried liver for the first time recently since I was gung ho to get into it and had never had it before. It smelled great while cooking but in the end I couldn't even get it past my lips. That was the NT liver pate. I'm resorting to supplements now cos I just can't do it. Actually even my DH refused to eat it and he usually loves liver. So either the recipe is not great, or, more likely, I'm rubbish in the kitchen!

DD energy.gif 7.5, forever missing DS brokenheart.gif lost in childbirth at 42wks, DDrainbow1284.gif 1.5, angel.gif 1/11 at 9 wks
#85 of 115 Old 11-16-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Hello ladies,

I've heard it is just something pregnant women go through. it supposedly lets up after nursing is over. I can testify to this. However, nutritionally speaking, I have no idea or help.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#86 of 115 Old 11-17-2007, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all!

Not sure if you've seen another thread I started called "Are you a TF evangelist?" This isn't quite the same question. We may have even discussed this way back in the beginning, but with pregnancy brain I don't remember. I'm wondering how open you are with others about how exactly you're eating during this pregnancy. How many people know you're drinking raw milk, eating raw cheese, raw eggs, rare meat, etc? And do you get flack for it?

Part of why I loved my midwife IMMEDIATELY when I met her was that she told me she knows quite a few raw-milk families. And I thought, "Oh, thank GOODNESS, she won't be hassling me. Sold!"

Some members of my family know, & some friends. But I don't tell 95% of people because I don't want to hear the "GASP - what??? Well, my OB told me that she had a patient who lost her baby to salmonella/listeria/(insert choice of pathogen here)" stories, or get the tsk,tsk. Sort of why I don't tell everyone about our choice to home birth...

Anyway, just curious!

suzukiaustin & cholomama - I think I have somewhat given up on trying liver. Maybe by the end of the 3rd tri I'll manage to choke it down once or twice, but I'm assuming not!

thomlynn - yay about the turkey! I'm going to my cousins' house for T-day & I KNOW they're buying a crappy hormone-laden turkey, she even joked about it. I'm not sure what I'll do...

& pampered_mom - I drink that eggnog stuff almost every morning! This is a perfect example of what we don't necessarily tell people - a pregnant friend of ours was telling my husband how, at a French restaurant, she sent back her food to be cooked more bc she was worried about the egg & cheese. I said to my husband, "I'm guessing you didn't mention to her the idea of drinking a glass of raw milk with raw egg yolks in it?"
#87 of 115 Old 11-17-2007, 01:49 PM

My midwife knows, and is o.k. with it. Turns out she drinks raw goat milk herself! I was so worried before we discussed it, and I shouldn't have been! She didn't bat an eye at raw eggs either. Other than that, I don't talk about it much. I can just imagine what most people would say. My coworkers have heard me talk about raw milk before so they're not surprised. I did get some *tsktsking* when I decided not to take prenatals and that's about it.

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#88 of 115 Old 11-17-2007, 02:16 PM

I have gotten some flack from certain family members about consuming sushi, kombucha, etc.

Is it true that a pathogen that can be in raw sushi is similar to the cat litter box thing and can stay in your body?Which is why it is so dangerous? I have faith that my body can handle pathogens, TYVM. I don't know how anything survives through a cup of strong kefir.

My dentist was happy earlier this year and last to find out how we ate. He was very much in favor of it. He actually had started telling me about the foods he promoted, then I told him I already knew They knew I was expecting during my last visit. I think he was happiest of all to get to remove my mercury fillings last year.

I do get a bit of flak about prenatals, which I don't take. I take loads of other stuff when I remember.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#89 of 115 Old 11-17-2007, 03:19 PM

I don't really tell my midwife what I eat, though she knows I am into whole foods. She seems to strive for no animal products. The other day when I went to my appointment they were making tofurky hot dogs. I did not think I should start sharing about my CLO, liver pate, and pot roast!

About the evalgelist thing though. I had PPD with number one and my mdwife knows all that I went through and that I am off all meds and doing great. She asked if there was one book a midwife should read. I told her for general information everyone should know about nutrition is WAPs book. I really hope she will read it! I suggested Gale Force's book if she wanted to know more about PPD specifically.

I honestly think most people are confused about how we eat because they know I do a lot of research about health and that I had a major health turnaround eating this way. I don't think people expect to see someone who is concerned with their health eating butter, meat, and feeding their family whole unpasturized milk.

Liver--You all might still want to try grinding some into hamburgers or meatloaf. If not, I would just take the liver tablets and stop torturing yourself. Liver pate has been an aquired taste for me but now I really like it. I love kombucha now too and it took me a year!

Jen

#90 of 115 Old 11-18-2007, 03:43 PM

I don't really discuss my dietary choices with my midwife. She did ask on the first set of forms about your style of eating (probably looking to see if you're veg or whatever) and I wrote in "traditional foods". We briefly discussed that and went on. Of course, we went over her folder of info which included the march of dimes information on food borne pathogens, but I let her know that I would be drinking raw milk, etc, and while I appreciated her concern I did not believe that to be an issue for me. Talked a little bit about how it was important to know your source and then we just went on from there.

About my only concern is the fact that I've been eating more fat/protein, especially when it comes to breakfast, which seems to result in ketones when she does the urine dip. I feel best when I eat that way, but it does make me wonder...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page