What do YOU do with beef stock fat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 11-08-2007, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering what I should do with all the beef fat that rises to the top of the stock when it cools? NT says to remove it before you freeze or use your stock... but do I just throw it away?
#2 of 20 Old 11-08-2007, 04:06 PM

I wonder also. I don't understand why they say "oh fat is so good for you" but then "skim the fat!" I do not skim the fat. I can't stand chewing fat so am much happier to drink it in soup. It tastes fine to me.
#3 of 20 Old 11-08-2007, 04:12 PM

I don't skim chicken stock, but I did skim my beef stock last time and I've been cooking with it. It makes really nice roasted veggies.

<>< Alison
#4 of 20 Old 11-08-2007, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

So you just save it and then instead of olive oil you mix it with vegis and roast it? Do you have a recipe? THANKS!
#5 of 20 Old 11-08-2007, 04:24 PM

This is how I roast veggies:
I put chopped veggies in a casserole. Add salt, pepper, herbs to the top. Add oil or fat of choice drizzeled all over. Bake at somewhere between 350-415 until darkened, crispy on edges.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#6 of 20 Old 11-08-2007, 04:27 PM

That's what I do as well. I usually put the oven on 375. Make sure to put firmer vegetables in first and softer ones in a bit later. I usually only do potatoes and carrots and those take a little over an hour at 375.

<>< Alison
#7 of 20 Old 11-08-2007, 04:30 PM

my fav, while were on it- is this:

frozen broccoli(2 bags) has to be frozen or very very wet brocolli.

add salt pepper, lemon pepper, lemon juice to if you want , instead. tons of chopped garlic.
garbanzo beans.
lots of olive oil

roast until about the last 10 minutes, add some parmesean, or other strong cheese that is similar.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#8 of 20 Old 11-08-2007, 04:49 PM

I don't skim the fat. Soups are so low-fat by nature that I'll take all the extra I can get!

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#9 of 20 Old 11-09-2007, 12:05 AM

Pemmican!! The NT recipe. My 17 month-old DS loved it. We made it with Venison but we're almost out so I might try beef next time.
#10 of 20 Old 11-09-2007, 02:09 AM

Oh, wow, I was JUST going to post this very same question! I made beef stock for the first time and am a bit stumped over what to do with all the fat on the top. It would be too criminal to toss it. Since there's another vote for the pemmican, I think I will try that after all!
Do you do anything else to the fat, simmer and strain again or anything, to purify it more? (I know that's not the word I'm after but it's late!)

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!
#11 of 20 Old 11-09-2007, 03:06 AM

I save it, put it in the freezer, and cook with it. I usually do veal stock instead of beef (grass-fed veal, it's kind of in-between milk-fed veal and beef in flavour) so my fat is veal fat. It has a very nice mild flavour. Tonight I made delicious pork chops - breaded, with the remains of some good sourdough loaves and some spices - fried in veal fat until crispy and delicious. Last night I did roast potatoes in veal fat. Yum yum. I'm not a huge fan of olive oil so I cook with animal fat quite a bit.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#12 of 20 Old 11-10-2007, 11:22 PM

Hmm, I thought they said to remove it b/c long cooking can cause the fats to be rancid. I think there is some sort of cut-off like fat from 12 hour stock is OK so you could refrigerate, skim and keep fat, and then continue cooking...that sounds like so much trouble that I haven't bothered.

I know I haven't offered much help :, but I thought I'd throw this out here and see if any one else has heard that I shouldn't be keeping the fat from my 18-24 hour stock.
#13 of 20 Old 11-10-2007, 11:36 PM

I don't skim it. It doesn't make sense "animal fat is good for you but skim off the fat from stock" I'm like the pp, I prefer to drink my fat in soup and stuff, so I leave it in.
#14 of 20 Old 11-11-2007, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feb2003 View Post
Hmm, I thought they said to remove it b/c long cooking can cause the fats to be rancid. I think there is some sort of cut-off like fat from 12 hour stock is OK so you could refrigerate, skim and keep fat, and then continue cooking...that sounds like so much trouble that I haven't bothered.

I know I haven't offered much help :, but I thought I'd throw this out here and see if any one else has heard that I shouldn't be keeping the fat from my 18-24 hour stock.
Hmmm! That seems plausible!!! Thanks for the guess! This seems like a good enough explanation to me!
#15 of 20 Old 11-11-2007, 05:15 PM

Um, I make soap, lol. Well used to, it's been a long time since I used my own tallow, I couldn't keep up with the quantities/weights once I started my business, but... If the stock is unseasoned, the fat will be nice and clean and even if it's been subject to heat for too long to be healthy to eat, will still make a nice bar of soap. Throw in a touch of that precious coconut oil, a little lavender eo, and it'll be extra luxurious and bubbly.
#16 of 20 Old 11-11-2007, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

WOW!!! How does one do all that?
#17 of 20 Old 11-11-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feb2003 View Post
I really doubt making stock would cause the fat to go rancid... it wouldn't get above 212F after all. I trust my nose as far as rancidity goes (I have a good sniffer, it's never let me down ) and my beef/veal fat smells fine - both when it's cooled, and when it's warmed up and ready to tastify something new. I ALWAYS smell the fat when it's warming up to frying temp and if it smells the slightest bit iffy, I toss it - but I've never had that happen with animal fat, only olive oil. That stuff goes off so fast...

I find that the more TF-y I get, the more I view the fat that comes off stuff as precious, and I can really get into the mindset of people in the pre-industrial era... and understand why the Persians created the fat-tailed sheep! I try not to waste ANY fat. (Especially duck fat. That stuff is GOLD. Every have potatoes roasted in it? .

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#18 of 20 Old 11-12-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
This is how I roast veggies:
I put chopped veggies in a casserole. Add salt, pepper, herbs to the top. Add oil or fat of choice drizzeled all over. Bake at somewhere between 350-415 until darkened, crispy on edges.

OOOHHH! Yum! We are making our first batch of beef broth tonight(cooking over night). I am going to try this. Sounds so good!

Bobbi

Wife to Chris

Mama to Maggie

.http://snoodledoodles.blogspot.com/

#19 of 20 Old 11-12-2007, 12:53 AM

I'm so glad I read this! I'm making beef stock next week and I probably would've just fed the fat to my dog. Although, he could use it... he is looking a little skinny these days. Maybe I'll just share a little.
#20 of 20 Old 11-12-2007, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I skim the fat on my chicken soup for 2 reasons: my kids don't like greasy soup, and I like using the schmaltz in other cooking.

I don't generally make beef broth, unless I'm making cholent with beef and veggies and a beef bone in the crock pot and I eat it while it's hot.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page