Mothering Forum banner

Growing My Own Kombucha Scoby

103K views 490 replies 120 participants last post by  Ragana 
#1 ·
IT'S WORKING!

About a week ago I posted that I was attempting to grow my own SCOBY from a bottle of GT Dave's Synergy Kombucha (raspberry flavor). Here's my detailed report on the experiment:

Day 1 -- I poured about 8 ounces of the bottled Kombucha into a clean, quart-size glass measuring cup. It had a nice blob of "stuff" floating in there, about 1" diameter, hanging out close to one side of the cup. I covered the measuring cup with a thin towel, secured with rubber band, and set it in a cupboard.

Day 5 -- I peeked and saw a very thin translucent "film" floating above the darker blob of stuff, and expanding outward by an inch or so. There was also some thin filmy stuff floating along the opposite wall of the measuring cup. The level of liquid in the cup had decreased to about 6 ounces.

Day 8 (Today!) -- I checked tonight and, to my surprise, the entire surface of the measuring cup is already covered with a translucent film in a layer approx. 1/2 inch thick. The level of liquid in the cup has now decreased to about 4 ounces.

It's definitely a SCOBY in there! I'll have to give it a girl name, as it's a lovely pale pink color.

Now what should I do?

I wasn't expecting it to be "born" quite so soon! I feel unprepared!

I raided my cupboards looking for tea, and the only non-herbal tea I could find was five individually wrapped teabags that just say "Lipton 100% Brisk Tea." Is this black tea? I have no idea how old it is... years, probably. Will it still work if it's old tea?

Should I go ahead and make a whole batch of tea as per NT instructions, and put my baby SCOBY in there? Or start with a smaller batch of tea since it's just a delicate baby?

The birth of a SCOBY...so exciting.

Iris

See less See more
#352 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EmeraldGardener View Post
I noticed that every time you move them or disturb them, the scoby will sink a bit and it will form a new scoby on the surface of the liquid-- mine look like those layered jell-o desserts-- many different little layers all floating on the top-- with nice grossy brown squidlys hanging around underneath. I am pretty sure that this is normal.
Yes, EmeraldGardener is exactly right. Every time you move or disturb the jar, a new scoby will start to form on the surface. If you leave it alone, it should grow nice and thick and smooth.

Once you put the scoby in the jar, it is best to just leave it alone and don't move anything around until you're ready to bottle that batch. What I do then is I lift the scoby/scobies out (I just use my hands, washed very well in hot water, no soap, jewelry removed) and put them in a glass bowl. I take out about a cup of the kombucha and pour it over the scobies, enough to completely cover them. Then cover that bowl with a towel rubber-banded in place and set aside. Then I bottle the kombucha, brew my new batch of sweet tea, and when it's cool enough I add the scobies and their liquid back in to the new batch. Sometimes I let the new batch cool overnight and other times I hasten it along but putting it in a sink full of cold water.

#353 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tabstha View Post
Hey everyone! I'm new here but I've been reading this thread and found you guys because I'm learning about kombucha!

Here is my story...

I did order a scoby online and it arrived last monday. I made green tea with 4 tea bags and a cup of sugar. I let it cool (was still slightly warm and I was afraid I killed it...) and put it in. Ok, first of all, I found the tea that it arrived it kinda....gross with all the floaties. But, I still put that in too.

Along the bottom sorta floated a few tiny tea leaves/sediment (I used bags but when I squeezed them I think a few escaped). They now look like small balls of.........floaty/icky/dustbunny things at the bottom. *is this ok??
This should be fine. You can strain them out later, if you want, when you bottle the kombucha.

Quote:
Anyway...so I waited and kept looking and there were no real changes. The scoby went on it's side and then sunk. I thought it died. Thursday night it surprised me and I found a thin baby across the top! Here are my questions:

1. I moved it after that and the baby has kinda moved sideways in the jar. Is it dying?

2. Aren't the mother and baby supposed to be attached?

3. So saying this is all normal, what is my next step? I'm brand new to this. Do I bottle it now? Do I add more tea/sugar to feed? Any help?

A sideways scoby is fine. It is not dying. Sometimes they move sideways or sink to the bottom; this is all normal. The mother and baby scoby do not have to be attached.

You shouldn't need to add in any more tea or sugar if you had enough in the batch you made. The recipe I use is: 3 quarts of water, 4 tea bags, 1 cup sugar. Just let it sit undisturbed for anywhere from 7 days to 2 weeks, and then you can bottle it.

If you want to taste it along the way to decide how long to let it brew, you can gently stick a straw down the side of the jar, disturbing the scoby as little as possible. Hold your thumb over the top of the straw so it fills with liquid, then lift it out and put it in a little cup or into your mouth to taste. Some people like their kombucha sweeter and others want it more tart.

Quote:
edit....

that first "babY' has kinda floated down and sideways and now there is a new film which looks like another baby forming on top. Normal?

help!
Yes, absolutely normal.
That's exactly what it is supposed to do. The new scoby always forms on the surface. Just try not to disturb it so it has a chance to grow thick and strong.

#354 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EmeraldGardener View Post

So, once again-- A big Thank you to Wild Iris for starting this thread!! Whoo Hoo!

Wow, thank you for the thank you. You are so welcome.
I started it for entirely selfish reasons, LOL. I am just thrilled that other people are interested and the thread is still going strong. Maybe we'll get to 100 pages someday.

#355 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by *Aimee* View Post
so today I went and bought some more GT and there was a jelly fish blob floating on the top. By the time I got home it was gone!!!

When I got home I put it in a jar and some things kinda floated on the top, but it looks more strandy than I remember. So what exactly am I looking for? I put him in the jar, covered it, and I'm NOT going to touch it this time

Aimee, the "blob" probably just got mixed in with the kombucha from being jostled around on the way home. The strandy stuff should be fine, some batches just look more "strandy" than others.

What you are looking for is a "film" to start growing across the surface of the liquid. At first it will be thin and translucent. As you let it sit undisturbed, it will get thicker and stronger. I'd let it go a couple weeks, then report back if you want and I'd be happy to walk you through the next steps.

#358 ·
ok
I have a fresh organic pineapple in my fridge and loads of ginger - I'm gonna try it! I have two big bowls at day 7 so not long till I can try this one out.

I have to say I have tried a few flavours and good ole "ginger" works the best for me. Makes it extra fizzy.

#359 ·
My last batch I did 1/2 with just ginger and 1/2 with the pom/blueberry and the ginger one was much fizzier this time I did 6 bottles with the pom/blue and ginger, and only one with the ginger and pineapple-- the ginger pineapple was just awesome like the best sparkling wine-- I just tried the pom/blue and ginger combo-- very fizzy with the nicest fruit flavor but not too sweet at all-- like a nice zinfandel wine sweet--like just a hint of sweet.. I am so hooked on this stuff and to think that it cost so much in the store and for about $2 worth of fruit juice and ginger and just a few teabags and sugar-- I get 7 to 8 16oz bottles at home!!
I have noticed that my skin has cleared up-- no pimples or anything and I seem to have more energy-- I try to limit myself to one bottle a day, but as great as this last batch tastes I could almost drink it all in one day
:

#360 ·
WildIris! Thanks!

Good to know it all looks ok. I bottled some today. It was sweet but I figure it will get a little more tart during the second ferment? I probably should have waited a bit longer but I was so anxious!
: I still don't love the flavor and the jellythings kinda make me queezy....but! i think it's good stuff. Also, as for the "ready made" I have liked the GT Grape best. I'm proably a wimp but I have strained each bottle first because of the floaters
I've been filtering everythign through a coffee filter. It looks more clear than the gt's. Am I doing a bad thing by straining?

It made three bottles. I used the old GT bottles and I did a lemon rind/ginger in two of them and then one of dried cherry like I read here. I wanted to add some lemon juice to the ginger one but didn't know if this would hurt anything (second ferment only!). Didn't know if the acid would hurt or whatever...

I put the mother and 2 babies back into my new black tea/sugar I brewed. Both babies were thin and flimsy but I figured that since some of us are using small pieces of a scoby floating in the Gt it wouldn't hurt. I also used green tea and I have now read that the kombucha prefers black. i used green because i read that a lot of people like the flavor better but it seemed like mine were kinda slow growing. This was day 8 I think. Seems like my babies should be thicker?

So, my new batch has cooled and I put the mama scoby in it and the two younger scobies. I also added a bit of the previous batch.

I hope i'm doing this ok.

How long do I do the second ferment? 4 days ok?

also, I realize that this thread is for growing our own scobies so I hope you guys didn't mind I jumped in with my "real" (purchased) scoby!

thanks emeraldgardner and wildiris! I love reading your flavor combos/trials!

#361 ·
Tabstha~ I have been using for a gallon batch 3 bags of green tea and 2 of the black-- from some of the reading that I have done online- it seems that green tea = fizzier finished kombucha and black tea = stronger finished kombucha-- I do like the mix of the two.
I'm such a coffee-aholic I keep wondering what would happen if I made a batch with coffee and sugar? hehehe- would probably make me more skitzy
than I already am!

#362 ·
Hi there! I've been lurking on this thread for awhile.

I tried a few times, but couldn't get a scoby started from the GT's. So I told my friend about it and she was able to get it going. I just put in my third batch to brew and was hoping someone could help me trouble shoot. First batch was not so great, but I've heard that happens with the first one. The second was better, but I couldn't get it fizzy. I did the first brew for about 8 days then bottled it and left it out to ferment another 2 days before sticking it in the fridge.

Here's what I'm thinking...
1) I filtered it before bottling so maybe I took out too much of the culture?
2) I need to add more sugar to the sweet tea initially. (I've been doing 1/2 c. to 1.5 qt water)
3) Or I need to let it brew longer in the bottles.

I didn't want to let it brew longer because it was already getting too vinegary and sour tasting.

THANKS! I
: KT.

#363 ·
Mama K NJ I'm no expert but have read a lot and had a good first batch from reading it seems that if you add more sugar it would not turn as vinegary as fast. Not sure but I would think that. Also I did find when I did a secondary ferment and bottled it my kombucha got A LOT more carbonated sitting in a dark warm place.

I let mine sit for 10 days before I bottle it. Then I let it sit for another 2 - 5 days bottled before I drink it.

The recipe I use is 4 green tea bags and 2 black tea bags. I also use about 2 cups of sugar. That if for a little over a gallon. I had a really good first brew.

I also added about 8 - 10 blackberries (fresh) in the brewing and filtered it out before adding the mother. It gave it a great color and a nice taste. It took some of the vinegar taste away. I read after the fact that you should not add the fruit until second ferment but didn't know it at the time and it still turned out well.

Good luck brewing. For the scoby I am growing its been going for almost two weeks and is finally starting to form. It's a long process I am finding to grow one yourself!

#365 ·
Rawa

I tried to find the links this morning where it said it is bad to add fruit to first ferment. But I do remember reading that adding fruit and/or herbal tea has oils that can throw off the PH and disturb the ferment. Also I believe it said you have a higher risk of mold. Sorry I have no links but thats what I remember reading. Anyone can correct me if I am wrong.

#366 ·
Posting my progress here...

For awhile my kombucha was getting too vinegary... I had kept forgetting to transfer it to bottles after seven days and it seemed that 8 days was just too long. Also, I wanted more fizz and a little sweeter finished product. With some help from this thread I adjusted my recipe and here is what I am now doing:

1 gallon water
4 bags of black tea
1 cup white sugar

brew and let cool
ferment for seven days
transfer to individual bottles - I have been adding a little bit of syrup from my fruit canning at this point which makes the finished product really fizzy with a taste of peaches or spiced pears.
ferment for five days then put in fridge

I am letting the extra kombucha and the scoby sit for a day to help the bacteria grow stronger before I add a new batch of sweet tea to it.

My kombucha has been so yummy and fizzy this way. Mmmmm.

#367 ·
I mostly lurk here, but I think I have posted before..... anyway, I'm wondering if a dense scoby dissolves eventually or what? I grew a scoby from GT's and it took me too long to find gallon jars to transfer it to, so it became very dense. It nearly ran out of tea, I never thought to brew a small amount of sweet black tea to replenish it.... but anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this? I just peeked on my KT and could see a solid scoby formed across the top of the tea and then something closer to the middle that looks like the original scoby. This will be the second time I have seen this original scoby in the 10 days its all been brewing in this jar. It seems to make periodic appearances.

I'm getting ready to split the scoby(s?) into 2 1 gallon jars. Should I keep the big scoby in one jar and take the original scoby for another? I'll split the tea in half. I'm just not sure about scoby. Any advice? There are a few pics and info in the link on my name in my siggy.

Yay for KT! DP and I are also going to get creative and make 2 little 3x5 cards each with a word..... peace, love, bliss, health, vitality, longevity.... something along those lines. But we will tape one card to each jar to raise the fermenting vibrations....
I'll update that on my blog when it happens too.

I also want to say that I am so glad all of you are here, cuz this thread is one of the most informative places to interactively learn about fermenting your own KT.

#368 ·
I have an odd question/thought here-- Are all Scobys not created equal?? I started one from the GT raspberry and one from the GT grape. The Raspberry one made a nice thick mother and the grape one just kinda dawdled around and never really got nice like the raspberry one. Flavor wise the Raspberry mother (I have made three different batches with) great flavor and very nice and fizzy- the Grape mother- very vinegary tasting and flat-- no fizz whatsoever-- while it didn't make me sick to drink some of it, it just wasn't great at all-- soo This morning it and the tea it made went out to the Chickens, Who loved it!! they just guzzled it right down. I then just split my Raspberry mother into two different gallon jugs... I feel like I let that poor grape mother down somehow
/ Has anyone run into that before? Having one mother make better kombucha than another one?
Oh and neither one of the mothers that I started still taste or look like the raspberry/or grape that was just how I kept track of which mother was which-- now they are number one and number 1-2. just so I know who is who.

#369 ·
Help! I think there may be mold on my SCOBY! I transfered him for the first time to a gallon (half the sugar and half the tea cuz he's still a baby) and he had some brown on him. When I flipped him over it was from the long strands of yeast. but it had discolored the SCOBY where the yeasty strands were hanging. Is this mold?! Do I have to start all over?!

Thank you

#370 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by *Aimee* View Post
Help! I think there may be mold on my SCOBY! I transferred him for the first time to a gallon (half the sugar and half the tea cuz he's still a baby) and he had some brown on him. When I flipped him over it was from the long strands of yeast. but it had discolored the SCOBY where the yeasty strands were hanging. Is this mold?! Do I have to start all over?!

Thank you

Nope not mold-- they sometimes just discolor-- I was looking at one of the links to a kombucha site and it shows all kinds of differernt mothers/scoby's and some just get brown spots, Mine has a "blowhole" right in the middle that bubbles every so often-- normal. Mold will come in little round circles and grow furry. But mold is many different colors like pink and gray.
This link has good explanations of the hows and whys of kombucha.
http://www.geocities.com/kombucha_balance/#Mold
And here is a link with pictures of what mold on Scoby would look like-
http://www.organic-kombucha.com/komb...ld_photos.html
I hope it helps-- I don't want you to throw out the mother when she is just having a bad "hair" day.

#372 ·
YAY!! I started my own scoby 3 days ago from Strawberry Kombucha from the store. I poured about half the bottle in a glass measuring cup, and put a towel over it and set it in the cupboard. My baby scoby started out on the bottom, and today he has floated to the top! I'm soooo excited!!!!
:

#373 ·
Sieren, Yay for baby scoby!

I ended up transferring my new large scoby to one jar and the small thicker scoby I peeled it in half and it has it's own jar. I call it peeling, but it was much more akin to ripping. I did this on Saturday or 4 days ago. I checked in on that jar this morning and there is a nice scoby on top again, but I can't tell how much of it was from the old split scoby. For me it requires taking a chair halfway across the kitchen to stand on because I ferment my KT on top of my kitchen cabinets. Then I carefully have to take it down and I do a complete inspection on the table or counter. I'm in a small place and with cooler weather, up near the ceiling is probably the warmest of my options.

I haven't checked the other jar. I have slight concern for the other scoby. I peeked, which is simply lifting the cloth, a few days ago and all appeared well. But I made a silly mistake and I'm hoping that it was really nothing. At one point in the process of peeling scoby, tranferring KT into both jars and all that goes on....... *I don't have a glass bowl large enough to hold the freshly brewed tea, so it is in a steel pot.* This is pure sweet green/black tea, and I think, "ah, it'll be OK if I set scoby B in this tea...." I needed to put it down and I was going to pour the existing KT between jars and didn't want the scoby to be in the mix. Do you think it's ok? This was a full gallon sweet tea, but I'm not sure if it ever touched the bottom. I'm hoping that the fact that it was simply scoby that hopefully the tea somehow protected it...... one can wish can't they? Any thoughts?

I have two questions......

Do you always taste your tea, even during the ferment process? Is it weird that I've not tasted my KT even though I've had tea fermenting with scoby for a month? I've promised DP that we are going to bottle some from each of these jars when it's ready. It's only been 4 days, so that's a little soon, but I'm guessing in maybe 6-7 days I'll bottle?

Where are some of the unique places you use for the fermenting process? I have my KT covered with a thin, white, cotton kitchen towel. Is that enough, should a thicker, more light blocking towel also be used? Where and with what do you ferment?

Long Live KT and those who Love KT Live Long

#374 ·
I brew mine for 10 days at a time then bottle and let get fizzy for another couple of days. I found it hard to wait at first but once you get it going its easy to wait.

I use a mesh cloth on one of the jars and I cut up a t-shirt and it tops the others. It seems to be totally fine. I do also keep mine on top of a cupboard in the kitchen it doesn't get much natural light there and its the quietest place in the townhouse I live in.

#375 ·
Just to add an update...... in my previous post I expressed concern because I accidentally had placed a scoby in a pot full of freshly brewed teas that were in a metal pot.
: I am happy to report that I took a good look at this jar yesterday and OMG! It is so beautiful!
There is no harm to report from the brief contact of metal at this point. I am so happy! Of course, I wouldn't recommend placing any part of KT into contact with metal pots or utensils, but I am happy to report that in this case, it was harmless. Hopefully this update will be useful for someone if they ever accidentally expose a scoby to metal.

#376 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rawa View Post
why is it that you can't add fruit to the first ferment? I know lots of websites say not to - but just wondering what that does.
I think it is because the skin of most fruits has its own yeast and bacteria on it, and you may not want to introduce them to your scoby. I was just reading at the Wild Fermentation site that you can use a piece of plum or grape to help a sourdough starter get going, due to the wild yeasts on them.

Someone had a question about getting fizz, and so far in my limited brewing experience I think you need a sweeter tea to begin with then bottle before it gets too tart, using an airtight container, and you will get good fizz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.