Growing My Own Kombucha Scoby - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#421 of 489 Old 12-05-2008, 03:08 PM
 
*Aimee*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hello! So I bottled my first batch for second fermentation. I used just lemon juice, as my favorite GT is Citrus. I tasted it plain and it was SOOo good. I hope I didn't ruin it with my lemon juice. I used one lemon in a whole gallon of kombucha.

My scoby wasn't that thick though, I think it's like 1/4 and inch, Is that okay? It's also not uniform thickness. I ordered one from dogmom and it's so beautiful. Mine is lumpy and thin. Hers was fat and smooth.

I also have a question about using fruit for the 2nd ferment. It's okay to use cherries or oranges or whatever? I know if you're using fresh fruit in water kefir you have to change it out daily, that's not the case in kombucha? Thank you
*Aimee* is offline  
#422 of 489 Old 12-05-2008, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
 
WildIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbanGirl View Post
Do you think 16 oz of liquid is too much to start a scoby in? Should I try to siphon off some of the liquid?
It's fine. You will see the liquid level go down over time while the new scoby forms. Better to start off with extra liquid than not enough.

Good luck!
WildIris is offline  
#423 of 489 Old 12-05-2008, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
 
WildIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Aimee* View Post
My scoby wasn't that thick though, I think it's like 1/4 and inch, Is that okay? It's also not uniform thickness. I ordered one from dogmom and it's so beautiful. Mine is lumpy and thin. Hers was fat and smooth.
It should be fine; it will get bigger and thicker over time.

Quote:
I also have a question about using fruit for the 2nd ferment. It's okay to use cherries or oranges or whatever? I know if you're using fresh fruit in water kefir you have to change it out daily, that's not the case in kombucha? Thank you
I'm not sure what you mean about changing the fruit out daily. I just put fruit (fresh or frozen) in a bottle with the kombucha, then whenever I drink the kombucha I eat the fruit or throw it out.
WildIris is offline  
#424 of 489 Old 12-05-2008, 05:33 PM
 
*Aimee*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildIris View Post
It should be fine; it will get bigger and thicker over time.



I'm not sure what you mean about changing the fruit out daily. I just put fruit (fresh or frozen) in a bottle with the kombucha, then whenever I drink the kombucha I eat the fruit or throw it out.
When you are brewing water kefir, you have to switch out fresh fruit daily. When I do the second ferment on kombucha, it sits out for somewhere between 1-2 weeks. I'm just wondering why you don't have to switch it out daily with kombucha but you do with water kefir. Thats all.
*Aimee* is offline  
#425 of 489 Old 12-05-2008, 08:21 PM
 
UUMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 9,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread is way too long. lol
UUMom is offline  
#426 of 489 Old 12-05-2008, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
 
WildIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Aimee* View Post
When you are brewing water kefir, you have to switch out fresh fruit daily. When I do the second ferment on kombucha, it sits out for somewhere between 1-2 weeks. I'm just wondering why you don't have to switch it out daily with kombucha but you do with water kefir. Thats all.
Ah, I see. I've never made water kefir so I didn't know about that. I don't know why it's different with kombucha, but I've never had a problem with the fruit in it going bad or anything.
WildIris is offline  
#427 of 489 Old 12-05-2008, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
 
WildIris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
This thread is way too long. lol
All the better to learn from, my dear.
WildIris is offline  
#428 of 489 Old 12-09-2008, 06:24 PM
 
bananabee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Hi all,

I'm new here as well as to TF, and I've been lurking for about a week now. I'm totally interested in kombucha and the idea of making it myself. Thurs I'll be getting a scoby from a fellow freecycler, and today I got some GT kombucha at my local natural foods market.

Here's my first batch of questions: one of the bottles of GT raspberry kombucha seems to have leaked a little in the car. Upon opening it, I see a tan colored thingy floating in the top. Is that a scoby? Is there one in every bottle, or only the ones that have been opened? It was refrigerated when I bought it. Should I drink this bottle or use it as a starter? I tasted it, and it's very sour, not sweet at all. What to do? I'm not quite ready to brew my own as I still need to find a large glass jar (or eat a LOT of pickles).

Thanks in advance! I'm really excited about getting more into TFs.

Living happily and embracing adventures.
bananabee is online now  
#429 of 489 Old 12-15-2008, 07:42 PM
 
HerbanGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My scoby stopped growing!! I don't know what went wrong. I put a whole bottle of GT Dave's original in a clean glass jar, covered it with a towel and set it on the counter. It looked like it was growing and getting legs, but then after a few days it stopped. Now there's just a little blob at the bottom of the jar, nothing on top. Wah! Any ideas what went wrong? All I can think is that I covered it with a towel that was too thick, but it's a pretty thin kitchen towel.

We're officially TTC!!!
 
I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
HerbanGirl is offline  
#430 of 489 Old 12-16-2008, 12:11 PM
 
velcromom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: N. Ca Sierra Nevada
Posts: 5,022
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feed it some sweet tea, it might just need some sugar. Mine took almost two weeks to spread out over the top of the liquid & make a nice white disc, I added some sweet tea at the start though. Give it food & time, could still work out.


Quote:
Upon opening it, I see a tan colored thingy floating in the top. Is that a scoby? Is there one in every bottle, or only the ones that have been opened? It was refrigerated when I bought it. Should I drink this bottle or use it as a starter? I tasted it, and it's very sour, not sweet at all. What to do?
That is the stuff that can grow you a scoby, some bottles have more than others. I too find that bottles differ in sweetness, I'm guessing some are more completely fermented than others. I'd drink some and use the rest with the blob as your starter!
velcromom is offline  
#431 of 489 Old 12-16-2008, 01:38 PM
 
bananabee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Thanks for answering. It's too late for the raspberry one, but a few days ago I got a scoby through freecyle. It turns out the guy who sent it to me uses honey instead of sugar...I'm wondering about the quality of it. It's brewing now, but it smells kind of sickly sweet. I'm wondering how it will turn out, and if it will feed on the white sugar or not. Also, the scoby he sent me was HUGE! It was at least a foot and a half wide. It hardly fit into my 4 qt bowl. I tried separating it with my hands but it was too thick and strong, and I hear we can't touch it with metal.

In the meantime I'm waiting to see if I can coax a scoby out of the last of my GT gingerberry. Starting with a small scoby seems much easier.

Living happily and embracing adventures.
bananabee is online now  
#432 of 489 Old 12-17-2008, 06:47 PM
 
HerbanGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by velcromom View Post
Feed it some sweet tea, it might just need some sugar. Mine took almost two weeks to spread out over the top of the liquid & make a nice white disc, I added some sweet tea at the start though. Give it food & time, could still work out.
I gave it about a cup of black tea with about 1T of Rapadura last night. My fingers are crossed! I'll report back...thanks for the tip!

We're officially TTC!!!
 
I blog about traditional foods, nurturing creativity, keeping a simple home, and the elements of crafting a meaningful life at www.maggiesnest.org.
HerbanGirl is offline  
#433 of 489 Old 12-18-2008, 10:55 AM
 
Metasequoia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In the village
Posts: 5,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My SCOBY that my friend gave me didn't do anything. BUT, my SCOBY that grew from our GT's experiment has grown! We just moved it into a bigger jar last night with fresh tea - our baby's first feeding.

How do I know if it's uh, doin' the right thing? I have in my mind that growing a SCOBY from kombucha, without another SCOBY might not go right.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Metasequoia is offline  
#434 of 489 Old 12-27-2008, 01:37 PM
 
salt_phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Under the dragon's wing... and the redwoods.
Posts: 1,122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to ship a scoby to a friend a state away. (two days UPS) Any advice on how to pack it?
TIA!

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
salt_phoenix is offline  
#435 of 489 Old 01-09-2009, 04:31 AM
 
momofmine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just found this thread because I brought my very own SCOBY home tonight! I am excited but clueless! Of course I came straight to MDC to find out what the heck to do with it now. I am going to wade back through and read now.

One question though, we live in an old house, dirt basement, and when it rains we get water and a really musty moldy smell. (We are trying to fix th problem, but in the meantime...) Will mold in a house affect it, or contaminate it? I was just wondering if maybe I should keep it upstairs, like in my bedroom?

When I brought it home, I put a coffee filter and rubber band over the lid so it could breathe, and I went ahead and put it upstairs, just in case. But tell me what you think.

Thanks!! I'm so excited!
momofmine is offline  
#436 of 489 Old 01-09-2009, 04:34 AM
 
momofmine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabee View Post
T It turns out the guy who sent it to me uses honey instead of sugar...I'm wondering about the quality of it.
This is interesting, and I was just wondering about this. I am doing the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, and can't have any sugar, so I was curious about using honey. But then someone pointed out to me that honey is antibacterial, so maybe not the best to use, as you actually want the bacteria.

Anyone use honey instead of sugar to brew the tea?
momofmine is offline  
#437 of 489 Old 01-09-2009, 07:26 AM
 
bananabee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
This is interesting, and I was just wondering about this. I am doing the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, and can't have any sugar, so I was curious about using honey. But then someone pointed out to me that honey is antibacterial, so maybe not the best to use, as you actually want the bacteria.

Anyone use honey instead of sugar to brew the tea?
I ended up throwing the honey scoby out. Both the scoby and the brew smelled so sickly sweet it made me nauseous, although my husband drank it and said it was good. Luckily, I grew a beautiful scoby from the GT kombucha.

As for honey being antibacterial, I'd guess that only raw honey would have that effect. I have no idea what kind my scoby donor used, but as the scoby was huge in diameter, I'd guess he's been using something far less expensive than raw honey.

Living happily and embracing adventures.
bananabee is online now  
#438 of 489 Old 01-19-2009, 03:19 AM
 
Hazelnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
okaaaay I just got back from WF with my bottles of kombucha. So I can grow my own scoby, just like the OP? It seems so much easier than ordering one online. I have a pack of green tea (forgot to get organic ) and lots of glass jars, though not a gallon jar. FIRST though I need my scoby. It looks really small in there. I just put it in a jar, how much tea? cover it with...I'm not sure what. My towels are too thick, but paper towel wouldn't work, would it? and then just wait??

Does anyone have any website how to recommendations for trouble shooting? there is so much online and there seems to be a lot of mixed info wrt brewing.

I am so used to kefir and am so intimidated by this. For the longest time i just skimmed over "kombucha" like yeah, what is that???
Hazelnut is offline  
#439 of 489 Old 01-19-2009, 12:20 PM
 
dogmom327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 5,738
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
okaaaay I just got back from WF with my bottles of kombucha. So I can grow my own scoby, just like the OP? It seems so much easier than ordering one online. I have a pack of green tea (forgot to get organic ) and lots of glass jars, though not a gallon jar. FIRST though I need my scoby. It looks really small in there. I just put it in a jar, how much tea? cover it with...I'm not sure what. My towels are too thick, but paper towel wouldn't work, would it? and then just wait??

Does anyone have any website how to recommendations for trouble shooting? there is so much online and there seems to be a lot of mixed info wrt brewing.

I am so used to kefir and am so intimidated by this. For the longest time i just skimmed over "kombucha" like yeah, what is that???
A paper towel or tight weave towel is fine for covering. A paper coffee filter works too. Use a tight rubber band too. You just need to keep the fruit flies and ants out (they are sneaky little buggers) while still allowing some air in.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

dogmom327 is offline  
#440 of 489 Old 01-19-2009, 12:43 PM
 
Hazelnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks!
Hazelnut is offline  
#441 of 489 Old 03-31-2009, 04:23 AM
 
tinyblackdot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Texas
Posts: 2,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Holey cow, if i had known i could get my own SCOBY from the kambucha i get a the stoer i would have done this ages ago! Ok im going to go get some in the morning....!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

tinyblackdot is offline  
#442 of 489 Old 04-26-2009, 12:17 PM
 
slowfoodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks so much for sharing! I've been working up the nerve to try doing this myself, and I think today might be the day I get started. I think I'll try making it with white tea. Apparently that's the least processed form of tea.

I'll post pics on my blog: www.mylifeintheslowlane.com

:
slowfoodie is offline  
#443 of 489 Old 07-27-2009, 06:06 AM
 
momofbrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Good info! I've read the whole conversation so far and looks like I have a ways to go!

Does anyone on here use a continuous brewing system so you never have to remove your Scoby? I'm wondering if anyone has done it and likes it better that way?

I tried my first bottle of Kombucha tea about a week ago and started brewing my own batch 4 days ago. Yes I'm THAT hooked on it already.

Day 4 and although my Scoby is way too big for its container its floating sideways and my baby Scoby is formed on top. They're both looking healthy and thriving.

Well I'll save my continuous brewing questions until I find out if some one does it!!!

Here's the one I just ordered:
http://www.happyherbalist.com/index....ROD&ProdID=261

You have constant tea ready to go, never have to remove the scoby, don't have to clean out jars etc etc etc Sounds good to me!!!

Well I'll keep reading now.

:

~momofbrock~
momofbrock is offline  
#444 of 489 Old 07-27-2009, 06:17 AM
 
momofbrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm still reading but if you haven't gotten a reply yet.... honey has antibacterial properties... and Kombucha is a bacteria yeast mix. The two do NOT go together!!! I've read on several sites "never use honey!!!" You end up with something that's not a Kombucha.
momofbrock is offline  
#445 of 489 Old 08-29-2009, 01:37 PM
 
lisaannesm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofbrock View Post


Good info! I've read the whole conversation so far and looks like I have a ways to go!

Does anyone on here use a continuous brewing system so you never have to remove your Scoby? I'm wondering if anyone has done it and likes it better that way?

I tried my first bottle of Kombucha tea about a week ago and started brewing my own batch 4 days ago. Yes I'm THAT hooked on it already.

Day 4 and although my Scoby is way too big for its container its floating sideways and my baby Scoby is formed on top. They're both looking healthy and thriving.

Well I'll save my continuous brewing questions until I find out if some one does it!!!

Here's the one I just ordered:
http://www.happyherbalist.com/index....ROD&ProdID=261

You have constant tea ready to go, never have to remove the scoby, don't have to clean out jars etc etc etc Sounds good to me!!!

Well I'll keep reading now.

:

~momofbrock~

Hi Momofbrock,

I am curious how you like the continuous brewing method? I am starting to brew my own kombucha, and I am wondering if I should try this method!

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!
lisaannesm is offline  
#446 of 489 Old 08-31-2009, 03:23 AM
 
tehrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all, I am brand spankin' new here, just came on to join the Kombucha discussion. I have been brewing Kombucha for about 8 weeks now. About 2 and 1/2 cycles through the process. I have gone from 1 to 4 to now 6(combined a few) scobys.

This batch I am trying something a little different. I am brewing a batch of Kombucha(if it can still be called that) with a scoby, some started and about 3/4 a gallon of unpasturized organic apple juice. I made 3 batches in fact, 1 with just tea, one with just juice, and one half and half. They all seem to be growing quite well especially in the recently hotter than usual California climate.

Has anyone else every used anything else other than tea to brew, and is there any technical reason that one should not be able to brew in anything from sugar water to pineapple juice(ummm.. other than the acidity I suppose)

After having done a few batches, I am feeling pretty confident, and after having read about making vinigars, it seems that the big differences are length of time, and source of the vinigaring mother agent. In normal cases it would be the air, in this case it is the air for a much shorter pierios of time, (15 days or so vs 6 months).

Any advice other than "Try it and see?" the anticipation is killing me haha Thanks in advance.
tehrob is offline  
#447 of 489 Old 09-12-2009, 02:59 PM
 
Pixie26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Union County, NJ
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have come along to learn about Kombucha brewing ... Im going to read the entire post and then post questions.... So excited to read up!

Sally
Pixie26 is offline  
#448 of 489 Old 09-29-2009, 10:15 PM
 
jgourley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have finally acquired my first scoby. Googled how to make kombucha and of COURSE I find a Mothering post. WHY didn't I look here to start with?

WildIris... are you still brewing out there? I followed your posts here... thanks for the info!
jgourley is offline  
#449 of 489 Old 09-29-2009, 10:21 PM
 
Pixie26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Union County, NJ
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It really does work! 2 weeks into a GTDaves scoby creation- with success!
Pixie26 is offline  
#450 of 489 Old 11-28-2009, 06:37 PM
 
CookiePie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am on day 6, I used one bottle of GT Dave's original, unflavored. I have a thin little blob about the size of a quarter, it has legs growing that's about it. My house is about 65 most of the time. I'm expecting it to take about a month or so. In the meantime I'm drinking Dave's brew at $3.99 a pop! I'm saving all the bottles & hoping my SCOBY grows!!!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
CookiePie is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off